HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Is Z Swedish best forward now?

Old
03-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Rattray

vCash: 500
Im a huge Zetterberg fan but Sundins better...for now.

Rattray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:59 AM
8snake

Quote:
Im a huge Zetterberg fan but Sundins better...for now.
I'm not trying to single you out, but WHY is Sundin better than Zetterberg? Is he better simply because his name is Mats Sundin? Forget his past accomplishments....let's look on ice productivity. Look at who has more influence on a game both offensively and defensively. IMO there is no debate.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
You got it all wrong. When Sundin got to play with the real stars (gold medal game) then he finally won something. Sundin can not be compared to Lidstom and Forsberg, period. Those 2 are so much better it's plain stupid to think they can be compared.

Sundin has done nothing, it is all the media and the hype and the same moment he takes his skates off, he'll be forgotten. Sorry, but that's how it is.
Your post makes no sense.

Sundin has been better in the nationalteam, than any other player in the world.

The superstars in the league the last decade has had more points than Sundin, due to the fact that they didn´t have to play alongside glorified AHL:ers.

Sundin has played with the likes of Domi, Kilger, Hoglund and still put up amazing stats.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Joel_79

Sundin is a good player but way too overrated. Zetterberg is no1 swedish forward right now, he is almost he no1 forward in the whole league too.

Joel_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_79 View Post
Sundin is a good player but way too overrated. Zetterberg is no1 swedish forward right now, he is almost he no1 forward in the whole league too.
Sundin is way too overrated in Sweden most probably because the fans do not have a chance to follow closely with the NHL and then they have to believe what the media tells them. He is also overrated in Canada because of Torono media which always has to find "the hero story" to sell and the Sundin story has been selling well for years I suppose.
But I won't use more time on him.
IMO it is:
Lidstrom
Forsberg
Zetterberg

If Forsberg gets injured before the playoffs, then he will have to give his place to Z.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:33 PM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Sundin is way too overrated in Sweden most probably because the fans do not have a chance to follow closely with the NHL and then they have to believe what the media tells them. He is also overrated in Canada because of Torono media which always has to find "the hero story" to sell and the Sundin story has been selling well for years I suppose.
But I won't use more time on him.
IMO it is:
Lidstrom
Forsberg
Zetterberg

If Forsberg gets injured before the playoffs, then he will have to give his place to Z.
Hello there, I'm here to stand as evidence against you. I follow both the Swedish national team and the NHL closely, so... yeah, you're AGAIN looking like a fool. Please stop posting right now if you don't want to look like more of a fool. Kthxbye.

Did Sundin kill your dog or something? It seems like you've got some special kind of hatred for him. His accomplishments are undeniable. His consistency is almost second to none.

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:45 PM
HockeyinHD

Williams is consistent, too. (I kid because I love.)

If nothing else, this discussion really delineates the vast chasm of difference between how Sweden and the USA evaluate hockey. Most Americans couldn't give a tinker's damn about the USA National team, except for maybe a medal game in the Olympics... and that's stretching it.

It seems like you Swede's place a lot more weight behind National Team stuff. For instance, Kronwall was Mr. Stupendously Erect and Prominent in the Worlds here lately, right? Most Wings fans couldn't care less about that because if a guy doesn't get it done in the NHL... meh.

Sundin, for all his National Team accomplishments (whatever they are... like I said, most Americans don't follow it), has had one huge year in the NHL back in 1993 and been a sub ppg player for the other 15, on average. Most people over on this side of the pond are just going to look at that and shrug their shoulders over WC's MVP's or Gold Medals, by and large.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:23 PM
redwingsdude

Forsberg and Sundin are obviously the better players over their careers, hell, Foppa was the best player in the world for a while, but both are getting on in years, still good, but as of March 2007, I'd take Zetterberg over both of them.

redwingsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:09 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakkster View Post
Hello there, I'm here to stand as evidence against you. I follow both the Swedish national team and the NHL closely, so... yeah, you're AGAIN looking like a fool. Please stop posting right now if you don't want to look like more of a fool. Kthxbye.

Did Sundin kill your dog or something? It seems like you've got some special kind of hatred for him. His accomplishments are undeniable. His consistency is almost second to none.
Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team .................................................. ...

I get it, I got it long time ago, but you are just confirming what I've been saying all along and that is that Sundin is more popular than Forsberg and Lidstrom in Sweden and in Toronto.
But in my opinion Sundin does not come close Lidstrom and Forsberg. He was burning to win something, but he had to wait for Lidstrom and Forsberg. I watched the Olympics, Sundin played well vs the lower teams, but then when it was the gold medal game it was who?
Up to this point Sundin has been better than Z, but Z is passing him. Has Z passed him or will Z pass him in a month, after the playoffs or next season is a question of time, but in my opinion Z has already passed Sundin.
IMO Z is now to pass Forsberg.

But what are you saying? Sundin>Lidstrom, Sundin>Forsberg, Sundin>Z???

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:52 AM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team, Swedish national team .................................................. ...

I get it, I got it long time ago, but you are just confirming what I've been saying all along and that is that Sundin is more popular than Forsberg and Lidstrom in Sweden and in Toronto.
But in my opinion Sundin does not come close Lidstrom and Forsberg. He was burning to win something, but he had to wait for Lidstrom and Forsberg. I watched the Olympics, Sundin played well vs the lower teams, but then when it was the gold medal game it was who?
Up to this point Sundin has been better than Z, but Z is passing him. Has Z passed him or will Z pass him in a month, after the playoffs or next season is a question of time, but in my opinion Z has already passed Sundin.
IMO Z is now to pass Forsberg.

But what are you saying? Sundin>Lidstrom, Sundin>Forsberg, Sundin>Z???
Yeah, because I certainly didn't take up his consistency in the NHL.

Personally, no Swede is bigger or better than Lidström to me. He's been the best at his position over the last decade and no one plays the game smarter and more efficiently than he does. It's really no contest for me. Of course it's a homer pick, but again, I value consistency really high. Like NN pointed out, only Jagr beats Sundin when it comes to consistency over the last 15 years. When Sundin was given the captaincy in Toronto many said that he wouldn't last long, that he couldn't take the heat. Well he could and he's been carrying that team on his back over the last decade and more, despite having to deal with one of the worst managements in the league, bringing in bust after bust. Hockey is a team game and it doesn't matter how good a player is if the team around him sucks.

In Sweden, Foppa is regarded really high as well and over the last ten years, it's basically been a tie between him and Sundin over who's biggest in Sweden. The last year it's been Lidström because he finally came up big for the national team. But with Foppa and Sundin it's always been "Foppa is healthy again, he's great!" and then three weeks later "Foppa is injured - again." and then they list his 1362463526356246246 injuries and go on about how if he could ONLY be healthy for one whole season, he'd accomplish great things. But he's never healthy anymore. Haven't been for a looooooong time, so that takes him out of the competition to me. Hank is close to Sundin. Really close, but so far he hasn't really come through big as a leader yet. He's looked upon as the heir to Sundin as captain of the national team.

So Lidström is the de facto best Swede. He's so good that you don't think about him, so all this discussion is really about who is second best. Right now I would go Lidström, Sundin and Zetterberg. Hank still has more to prove to me.

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Cygnus

I'd take Zetterberg over Sundin or Forsberg, but I sure am glad y'all are talking about current players, otherwise we'd say Kent Nilsson, hands down. When Z can score 131 points on a slightly-better-than-so-so team...well...

Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
What about Alfredsson? I read a thread about a week ago ranking the top Swedish players. Somebody said that Alfredsson was fourth in Selke voting last year. He outproduces Sundin and Zetterberg. Selke voting would indicate that he's at least comparable defensively, and more likely better than either of them. It's close between the three of them.

If it were 2003, Forsberg woud win hands down. He hasn't been consistently healthy, so it's hard to tell how good he is. I saw him play in January against Pittsburgh, and, compared to seeing him any time before that, he was basically invisible for most of the parts of the game I watched.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote