HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Maybe Gainey has a plan: My Theory

Old
03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
CornFlakes

vCash: 500
Maybe Gainey has a plan: My Theory

My theory is that the Shark's GM and Bob Gainey have agreed unofficially to having Rivet traded only to San Jose and of no trades involving Sheldon Souray to Anaheim or any other Western team in exchange for a move in the off-season helping out Bob's Canadiens. My guess being Patrick Marleau going to Montreal.

I understand this sounds far fetch and I have no inside information whatsoever but this is the only thing that makes sense to me. I'm thinking, either the press is right and Gainey is incompetent or has he in fact a plan? Let me explain my theory:

Brian Burke viciously lashed out against Bob Gainey in his dairy about Bob not returning his calls when shown interest in Rivet. As mentionned in Mathias Brunet' s La Presse article this would be completely illogical from Gainey's standpoint to deal with only one team, unless if an secret agreement was already made. Maybe the reason Burke was so mad is that he in fact suspected some sort of collusion. Now a deal of this sort would make sense for the following reason:

1 - Sharks want Rivet and don't want Anaheim to get stronger for the playoffs
2 - Gainey's best friend is the Shark's GM's brother, this would justify Gainey trusting Doug Wilson to keep his word
3 - San Jose may be ready to let Marleau go considering they have such bright young stars namely Joe Pavelski who is ready to center the second line next year.
4- Marleau will also be a UFA at the end of next year, I believe.
5- We all now the Habs are desperate for a true no 1 centerman!

Like I said this may sound leftfieldish and yes I am clinging to the hope that Gainey has not lost it, but I don't know... this is the only thing to me that makes sense throughout all this nonsense.

CornFlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:27 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornFlakes View Post
My theory is that the Shark's GM and Bob Gainey have agreed unofficially to having Rivet traded only to San Jose and of no trades involving Sheldon Souray to Anaheim or any other Western team in exchange for a move in the off-season helping out Bob's Canadiens. My guess being Patrick Marleau going to Montreal.

I understand this sounds far fetch and I have no inside information whatsoever but this is the only thing that makes sense to me. I'm thinking, either the press is right and Gainey is incompetent or has he in fact a plan? Let me explain my theory:

Brian Burke viciously lashed out against Bob Gainey in his dairy about Bob not returning his calls when shown interest in Rivet. As mentionned in Mathias Brunet' s La Presse article this would be completely illogical from Gainey's standpoint to deal with only one team, unless if an secret agreement was already made. Maybe the reason Burke was so mad is that he in fact suspected some sort of collusion. Now a deal of this sort would make sense for the following reason:

2 - Gainey's best friend is the Shark's GM's brother, this would justify Gainey trusting Doug Wilson to keep his word
3 - San Jose may be ready to let Marleau go considering they have such bright young stars namely Joe Pavelski who is ready to center the second line next year.

Like I said this may sound leftfieldish and yes I am clinging to the hope that Gainey has not lost it, but I don't know... this is the only thing to me that makes sense throughout all this nonsense.

this makes absolutely zero sense, I'm sorry... Marleau to Montreal? You're dreaming, that's it.

Maybe Gainey knew that Burke was being a jerk with all others GMs and he didn't wanted to deal with him? That's more than likely the reason why he didn't call him back about Rivet.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Habs

lol, and what was his master plan in trading for Ninnima? How about the master plan in not filling any of the teams glaring voids last offseason?

What makes you think any UFA will ever sign in Montreal?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
STAALing

This is an insult to the word "theory".

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont know how you're ever going to top your first post on HF

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:37 PM
TornACL

Well, the agreement of not trading Souray to Anaheim could partly explain why Gainey got so much in return for Craig Rivet, but even that would be too strange for any kind of logic.

TornACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:39 PM
CornFlakes

This would not be the first. Remember the Joe Thorton deal, only the Sharks and Bruins were involved...

Old
03-04-2007, 10:42 PM
CornFlakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I dont know how you're ever going to top your first post on HF
Thanks, like I said this is leftfieldish I know. But, GMs do have these kinds of deals and... the Habs are playing only on Thursday!

Old
03-04-2007, 10:59 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarillo Slim View Post
This is an insult to the word "theory".
Indeed, it is in fact an hypothesis, a theory needs to be fonded on facts and not subjective point of views, as long as no clear facts is being pointed out, this is a hypothesis.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Thanks, like I said this is leftfieldish I know. But, GMs do have these kinds of deals and... the Habs are playing only on Thursday!
Marleau is too valuable an asset to dangle this way. Your conjecture ought to have at least a toehold on reality.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Turbo

you just gave Eklund his first e3 of the off-season

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Indeed, it is in fact an hypothesis, a theory needs to be fonded on facts and not subjective point of views, as long as no clear facts is being pointed out, this is a hypothesis.
It's pretty weird Spree...everytime I read your posts, I hear Yoda's voice in my head.

03-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Belso

Quote:

throughout all this nonsense.
I'll say this much. Secret agreements between East and west teams makes sense to me. I can see why the Sharks don't want the Ducks to get better. So far, I like Gorges. It was unfair for Carbonneau to put him on the ice with SOURAY (of all people) in his first game with the club on the first shift. He was nervous as hell, 22 years old and doesn't even have a full year under his belt. Way to go Carbo! Easy transition my @55.. And Montreal got their first pick. Fair trade. Why did Gainey suposedly not shop around? I doubt this was lazyness or incompetence on his part. So making a deal with Wilson isn't a crazy idea.. Malreau coming ot Montreal? Maybe? Maybe not. Depends who wins the cup He signed a 3 year deal in August 05 so I think he's under contract In S Jose next season.

My guess is if anything was agreed, it wasn't for Thornton...Too bad...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I don't know how realistic this scenerio is, but I can say that it is creative.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I'll say this much. Secret agreements between East and west teams makes sense to me. I can see why the Sharks don't want the Ducks to get better. So far, I like Gorges. It was unfair for Carbonneau to put him on the ice with SOURAY (of all people) in his first game with the club on the first shift. He was nervous as hell, 22 years old and doesn't even have a full year under his belt. Way to go Carbo! Easy transition my @55.. And Montreal got their first pick. Fair trade. Why did Gainey suposedly not shop around? I doubt this was lazyness or incompetence on his part. So making a deal with Wilson isn't a crazy idea.. Malreau coming ot Montreal? Maybe? Maybe not. Depends who wins the cup He signed a 3 year deal in August 05 so I think he's under contract In S Jose next season.

My guess is if anything was agreed, it wasn't for Thornton...Too bad...
Did you really think Gainey would be able to get a young player AND a first round pick for Rivet? I didn't.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:14 PM
LesHabsRock

There is a term for what you propose is going on between the Habs and Sharks. It's called collusion and it is against NHL rules and regulations. Basically, teams cannot join forces in secret and devise a plan for any reason.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Did you really think Gainey would be able to get a young player AND a first round pick for Rivet? I didn't.
I would have been happy with a 2nd, I was totally blown away that Gainey received back that much for Rivet.

Old
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It's pretty weird Spree...everytime I read your posts, I hear Yoda's voice in my head.
A compliment to me this is.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
A compliment to me this is.
Haha...Absolutely.

Old
03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Habitant#1

All this is missing is some Government/Alien involvement.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
All this is missing is some Government/Alien involvement.
Yes and some cool Sci-Fi music.

Old
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:

Funniest post I have read in a long time......

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Sure. Rivet - Gorges straight up? Gainey saves on cap room San jose wins. Rivet - Georges and 3 round pick. Somewhat fair. Rivet - Gorges and first round pick. San jose gets and instant better player for the play-offs, Gainey gets a better future and drops his pay-roll. It was Fair considering what the asking price was for rentals this year. You must keep this in mind. A 1st pick as opposed to 3rd would not have flown at the beginning of the season. Besides, had Bob said, "Fine, you won't give us the 1st, I'll just call Burke back ", I'm pretty sure it would have given Wilson something to think about. He's probabley going to have to face Anaheim in the play-offs.

Old
03-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
There is a term for what you propose is going on between the Habs and Sharks. It's called collusion and it is against NHL rules and regulations. Basically, teams cannot join forces in secret and devise a plan for any reason.
Speeding is against the rules but more people pass me on the road then I pass people and I drive slightly over the limit...

Hence why Gainey told Burke that he had been talking with Wilson for weeks. To not admit any Collusion had been commited....