HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman looks like a different player.

Old
03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
ola...

I don't totally disagree, but by the time Jessiman was sent down, Byers and other forwards were more effective and at some point they said, hey, this kid needs some more work and minutes and he's not getting that here, so... Many were on near-equal footing to start the season, and some just took the ball and ran with it. With Isbister and Immonen up, he's getting another chance. Let's hope he makes the best of it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't totally disagree, but by the time Jessiman was sent down, Byers and other forwards were more effective and at some point they said, hey, this kid needs some more work and minutes and he's not getting that here, so... Many were on near-equal footing to start the season, and some just took the ball and ran with it. With Isbister and Immonen up, he's getting another chance. Let's hope he makes the best of it.
Yeah, I saw really few games with HFD early in the season too.

Just wanted to point out in general that there really weren't any big problems with Hughs game earlier in the season.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Fletch

Hugh actually looked OK...

I agree with that. He was aggressive, used his body, but the points never came. Then Byers started taking off and Jessiman's role diminished somewhat as others were doing better.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:53 PM
free0717

Jessiman scores winning goal in shootout last nite.

Rodent, you are a genius.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:21 PM
nrf83

Hugh Jessiman scored goal tonight in 1st period against Hershey. G Moore, A Bourret assisted. Moore shot puck at the net from bootom of circle and Hugh crashing net had puck go in off his skate. I am impressed with how Hugh has held it together with all the major dissapointments he has faced. He is now doing all the things everyone complained that he couldn't or wouldn't do. But most of all he is scoring. Doesn't matter if they are pretty or not, back of the net is all that counts. And believe me, when you score your confidence is high, your teammates believe in you and your coaches start giving you major ice time. Hugh has a ways to go yet to get to NHL, but at least he is headed in right direction now.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:34 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

The big man does it again, tied the game up at 2 with a few minutes left.

2 Goals tonight, 5 goals in his last 5 games.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Pizza

Pretty damn impressive. Hugh and Marcel. Hope springs eternal, Ha Ha!!

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

It's just nice to see Jessiman do well. I don't know what it means for his future but it's nice to see a good kid a former first round pick not pout about going to the ECHL and making the most of his chances...

It's to early to say he is putting it all together but IF he is our prospect pool is that much deeper...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
free0717

If we took a prospect poll today, I bet Hugh would slip into the top 5.

1.Staal
2.Montoya
3.Dawes
4.Jessiman
5.Sanguinetti

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:42 PM
stuart

Jessiman

let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Dubinsky is further along and so is Koriporski...

stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:51 PM
kovalev27hf

and thats why i had to laugh when you guys put him out of the top 20 what a joke you guys had immonen a guy that will NEVER be a part of the future of this organization ahead of him among others. the kids potential alone should keep him in the top 10. i hope he makes you all eat crow

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Geogaddi

Kovalev27hf...

I hope he does prove all of us wrong. Then thats a good thing. I dont get to see Jessiman in Hartford to make my own judgement, but if he keeps up the pace, then he has a good chance at making us "eat crow". I hope Immonen makes you "eat Crow" as well

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:01 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
If we took a prospect poll today, I bet Hugh would slip into the top 5.

1.Staal
2.Montoya
3.Dawes
4.Jessiman
5.Sanguinetti
you'd be wrong. 5 games doesn't make up for 2 years. I want him to make it as it would makes everyone a winner but he needs to play like this for an extended period of time before he sniffs the top 10 or 5...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev27hf View Post
and thats why i had to laugh when you guys put him out of the top 20 what a joke you guys had immonen a guy that will NEVER be a part of the future of this organization ahead of him among others. the kids potential alone should keep him in the top 10. i hope he makes you all eat crow
the best thing is to just forget about him and he'll surface in a few years in the NHL. I hope we don't give up on him. I'm just happy there are positive things being said about him. With that said focus on the other top prospects we have and time will enable Jessiman to get better.

I still say he's at least 2-3 years away and I'm one of his biggest supporters.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
kovalev27hf

i agree sather no doubt about it just drove me nuts to see guys that are hardly even considered prospects anymore or guys that really are c and d level prospects ahead of hugh on the board just because guys don't like that he hasn't progressed faster. listen that was one of the deepest drafts in history and although he may have been a reach at 12 he'd have been gone by 20. to put him out of the top 10 or 15 was just immature imo.

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:43 PM
dedalus

It's too soon to draw any conclusions from his current play, but it's NOT too soon to say, "Go, Hugh!"

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:52 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
It's too soon to draw any conclusions from his current play, but it's NOT too soon to say, "Go, Hugh!"
best post of the thread. This should be the final word on the subject for sometime to come.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:44 AM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
It's much better than what most of us have been saying up to this point which is

*pointing at the door* "Hugh go, get lost". Go Hugh sounds way better

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
best post of the thread. This should be the final word on the subject for sometime to come.
....but you know it won't be. The subject of Jessiman is just too intriguing to leave alone for long. Glad to see him doing well.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:19 AM
eco's bones

Well hopefully he finishes the season strong--and gets in all Hartford's playoff games this year--only played 2 of 13 last year--then works hard over the summer and prepares for next year. I'd think he'd be a real long shot to make the Rangers out of training camp but you never know. If he can start contributing consistently maybe he could be a callup sometime next season. That's more or less the scenario I'd like to see. As for the prospect rankings--I didn't have him in my top 20--sick and tired of waiting for him to do something--or anything to deserve it. There's no doubt that he has the tools to be in our top 10--he's been there before and for quite a while--but he has to put those tools he has all in the toolbox. That's been missing. Hopefully what we're seeing now is a player putting his game together--but a strong finish the rest of the way would do a lot to improve his rankings at least with me. As for Immonen--I can see him having somewhat of a career in the NHL but I don't think he's going to be anything special. This hasn't been a very good year for him either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Well hopefully he finishes the season strong--and gets in all Hartford's playoff games this year--only played 2 of 13 last year--then works hard over the summer and prepares for next year. I'd think he'd be a real long shot to make the Rangers out of training camp but you never know. If he can start contributing consistently maybe he could be a callup sometime next season. That's more or less the scenario I'd like to see. As for the prospect rankings--I didn't have him in my top 20--sick and tired of waiting for him to do something--or anything to deserve it. There's no doubt that he has the tools to be in our top 10--he's been there before and for quite a while--but he has to put those tools he has all in the toolbox. That's been missing. Hopefully what we're seeing now is a player putting his game together--but a strong finish the rest of the way would do a lot to improve his rankings at least with me. As for Immonen--I can see him having somewhat of a career in the NHL but I don't think he's going to be anything special. This hasn't been a very good year for him either.
I saw Jessiman play right after he were drafted, and liked what I saw but at the same time knew right away that he never would be a franchise player -- like many hopped he would be. Dany Heatly were mentioned among others... At the time I wound up picking on him since so many had so high expectations on him.

Then everyone started to really get down on him, and I wound up defending him, it were never reasonable to expect him to become a franchise player. I weren't suprised by the numbers he put up, but knew that he had a great body and were a tremendous physical talent. You don't see many players with his size move so well teqnically. The taller you are the harder it gets to move in hockey, its just impossible to have strong enough abs and back for a player 6'6 to skate as someone 6'0.

Now, no matter how much he scores, its important to remember how much the scene have changed for big players with the rule changes. A guy with Jessiman's size today, is exactly like having a floating Russian pre the lockout.

A player like Bruce Graham who were a 2nd round pick before the lockout, should now have been a 9th roundeer. A 5'8 forward with allot of offensive skills were a 9th round pick before the lockout, but might be a 2nd round pick today. Thats how much things have changed.

So, matter how much Jessiman gets his game in order, we must be reasonable when it comes to expectations on him. If he is to have any kind of success, in the AHL or the NHL, he must be a extreme roleplayer. And thoose always needs custom made roles.

Jessiman is handpicked by Renney for Renney's system. Our LW's lead the forchecks, the center comes in after them. They always trys to direct the puck up on our right were we got big guys waiting for them along the boards. Jessiman is supposed to play in that position, a step back along the boards on the forecheck. And then when we win the puck contribute offensivly on the circle down low.

In order for him to even remotely be considered for that spot though he must play really well defensivly, he must pass the puck really well in the transition game, he must become better at shielding the puck down low. Hugh had big problems with his passing game a while ago. His head just weren't up to the tempo of the AHL, and he looked clueless with the puck. His defensive game is ok I guess, but it needs to get better. He also must get better at sheilding the puck at the pro level, but that will probably come with time.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:18 AM
dank

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:23 AM
eco's bones

Yeah I think there's a bit for him to work on Ola. Size is one thing--it doesn't make a player defensively aware or make him good at moving the puck. Jagr handles the puck can hold on to it for quite a while and then at the right moment make a play because he sees the ice and understands the game--he can control the play. Now it's not right to think that Jessiman is going to become a Jagr-- but lets say to become someone like a Knuble he's got a ways to go. He's making some steps now and hopefully they're for real.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
chosen

Looking forward to visiting the wing at the HOF set aside for Mr. Jessiman. After all he scored goals in THREE STRAIGHT AHL GAMES!!!!

Can someone check the record books. I don't think it's been done before.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:55 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Looking forward to visiting the wing at the HOF set aside for Mr. Jessiman. After all he scored goals in THREE STRAIGHT AHL GAMES!!!!

Can someone check the record books. I don't think it's been done before.
haha, well played sir. its just that most of us are relieved that there is something to be excited about at least.. this time rather than ***** about how we could have drafted someone better, we have something (albeit pretty tiny) to get excited about.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote