HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Props to Jacques Demers and Benoit Brunet

Old
03-04-2007, 04:16 AM
Moester

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I think he was too much of a zealot in defending them. It's one thing to defend Gainey-because I agree people have been too harsh with him-but saying that Gainey was right in not doing any magor moves was pretty far fetched. Habs were not good enough during the season and we lost two important warriors(Huet, Rivet) wich makes us even weaker than we were. So less likely to advance in the playoffs. This year is the first time in years where we didn't get anybody new to go further in the playoffs. It's the first time that as a fan I recall feeling like there's absolutly zero chance for us to go further. And I have a feeling like the players feel depressed that they didn't get any help. If the GM wasn't willing to get more amunition, it looks as if he threw the towel so why would the players work their ass of anyway?
What I just don't understand is why people aren't looking past the end of their noses. Maybe Gainey did not want to mortgage the future because there's the LARGEST free agent class in HISTORY coming up. Because not all players will be re-signed and if Gainey has picks and a solid core of players he might be able to afford making a big splash.

For example, Gainey got rid of Rivet, which is one less D-man on the payroll, with Niiniima out, and possibly some rookies from the farm in to replace them or an average and cheap free agent signing to fill in the blanks; we'll be able to sign Markov and Souray and add an impact player. Think of it, there are some FANTASTIC players coming up. Just look at a team like Calgary where unless they trade away several medium size salaries, they won't be able to re-sign both Kripusoft and Iginla...could very well lose one to free agency.

There will be several deals to be had before and after July 1st. And Montreal will be in a very good position armed with some cap space and two first round picks going into it.

I think that Montreal can make the playoffs this year if everyone works together. But I don't think that they'll make it past the first round, and to be honest, no trade deadline deal will have changed that. I'm not going to start panicking until free agent season is over and done with...if BG has not made some strong, smart deals over the summer; then I might start to wonder. But until then, I'll just keep hoping for the best and will wait to see the big picture unfold.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:49 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
What I just don't understand is why people aren't looking past the end of their noses. Maybe Gainey did not want to mortgage the future because there's the LARGEST free agent class in HISTORY coming up. Because not all players will be re-signed and if Gainey has picks and a solid core of players he might be able to afford making a big splash.

For example, Gainey got rid of Rivet, which is one less D-man on the payroll, with Niiniima out, and possibly some rookies from the farm in to replace them or an average and cheap free agent signing to fill in the blanks; we'll be able to sign Markov and Souray and add an impact player. Think of it, there are some FANTASTIC players coming up. Just look at a team like Calgary where unless they trade away several medium size salaries, they won't be able to re-sign both Kripusoft and Iginla...could very well lose one to free agency.

There will be several deals to be had before and after July 1st. And Montreal will be in a very good position armed with some cap space and two first round picks going into it.

I think that Montreal can make the playoffs this year if everyone works together. But I don't think that they'll make it past the first round, and to be honest, no trade deadline deal will have changed that. I'm not going to start panicking until free agent season is over and done with...if BG has not made some strong, smart deals over the summer; then I might start to wonder. But until then, I'll just keep hoping for the best and will wait to see the big picture unfold.
Say that to the people that buys the freakin tickets. "Waiting for the summer" should never be an option. It's disrespectful to the people that buy your feakin salary. I lived through the Nordiques descent into Hell and it was genuine s&m as a fan to watch them. 5 years of grueling misery. Then i've seen the Habs go down a similar path when Houle took over. Sorry but fans like me are more tired seeing managements not respecting their fans more. Let's have the fans suffer more, just a little bit amidst bad plays, humiliaiting defeats and awful Bell Center Athmospheres again for the remaining of the season. "They can take it".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:20 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine View Post
I don't agree with the Habs having a better team but I do agree Smyth looks like a hypocrite. If you love were you're playing and and you don't want to leave, then what the hell is 300 000$ when you make millions. But he went for the money, and then starts sobing that he wont be playing in Edmonton. In my books, that makes him a hypocrite.
the oilers could have locked him up for five million a year before this season started , but at that point in time they weren't willing to offer more than four million ! smyth gave everything he had to that team and he has the scars and missing teeth to prove it . oiler management are the hypocrites in this little soap opera because they should never have let the situation degenerate to the point that they felt they had no choice but to trade him and rather hastily at that . very shabby treatment for for such a classy player . can you say LOWE ball ?

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Corby

The thing is yes I have heard enough of him to say he doesn't add value as an hockey analyst. It seems it is just a matter of different opinions. You like him as an analyst, fine for you but please don't say that I offered a different opinion than yours just because I didn't spend the required time to assess his work.

As a TV analyst, I am among the ones who think yes communication skills remains very important.

Winning two Jack Adams trophy in a row remains an impressive track record but I still don't think it necessarily means you are a good hockey analyst. Remember that Jean Perron also won a Stanley Cup and he doesn't appear to know hockey inside out.

As for Demers' connections around the league, I seriously doubt there are any and many examples point toward it, just think to how many times Yvon Pedneault had to correct some of his comments. The last time I remember such one was regarding Paul Holmgreen in Philadelphia not having as much leeway as Jacques thought.

With the Internet these days, anyone can look as having connections around the league, even Michel Villeneuve sometimes talks about trade rumours and I seriously doubt he has a direct line with any GM...

Corby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Moester

Quote:
Say that to the people that buys the freakin tickets. "Waiting for the summer" should never be an option. It's disrespectful to the people that buy your feakin salary. I lived through the Nordiques descent into Hell and it was genuine s&m as a fan to watch them. 5 years of grueling misery. Then i've seen the Habs go down a similar path when Houle took over. Sorry but fans like me are more tired seeing managements not respecting their fans more. Let's have the fans suffer more, just a little bit amidst bad plays, humiliaiting defeats and awful Bell Center Athmospheres again for the remaining of the season. "They can take it".
Look if you want a team that never waits and always goes for it and never builds up, why don't you become a Rangers or Toronto fan or something. Those are teams without any patience and who always blow their wad on big names without any payoff. But at least for them the summer is never an option.

And comparing the Nords in their final years to Montreal right now is completely laughable.

Old
03-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
He said the Habs has a better team and have more chance to be in the playoff than Carolina, Toronto and New York Islanders. He also said Ryan Smyth is an hypocrite because he cried on national tv for 300 000$ and thinks Lowe trade him because he want to punish Smyth.

I dont like him at all
I agree....if Ryan Smyth wanted to stay in Edmonton so bad that he cried about it on TV, then he shouldn't have been SO GREEDY in the first place and took the offer that was given to him to stay in Edmonton. Ryan Smyth is NOT worth the money he was asking for, especially on a team like Edmonton. There are so many other players that contribute just the same as Smyth on the Oilers, Lowe would have had to give all the players on his top 2 lines $5.5 Million dollars a year too!!!

Smyth got TOO greedy, he expected the Oilers to forget about all the other players and just worry about coming up with enough money for him.....well I'm sure Kevin Lowe has a certain amount of money to give all his free agents and keep the core of the team intact, so to give Smyth that amount of money is obsured and it would have effected the teams finances too much....It was more or less a business move and nothing more.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:15 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine View Post
I don't agree with the Habs having a better team but I do agree Smyth looks like a hypocrite. If you love were you're playing and and you don't want to leave, then what the hell is 300 000$ when you make millions. But he went for the money, and then starts sobing that he wont be playing in Edmonton. In my books, that makes him a hypocrite.
And a crybaby.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
NO, i remember that i said something like: "Moi je pense que Kevin Lowe la echanger a New York pour le punir"

And he did say that the Habs are more likely to make the playoff than the NYI, Toronto and Carolina.

Btw, you guys are talking like Smyth asked for a trade, im sure he didnt expexted to be traded. And EVEN if its true that Smyth decline the offer for a 300 000$ difference, why the hell Edmonton didnt give him the 300k$, hes the heart and soul of this team. Hes an 30 goals+ scorer, he didnt ask that much. We give Koivu 4.75millions here, does Smyth worth 800 000$ more? id say yes.
not only that... smyth's taken hometown paycuts for the oilers before... the team has been paying out raises to guys like hemsky and horcoff, and even a more average guy in staos... with him not getting paid off he was told he's not as an importatn part of the team as these other guys... and that's completely bogus... this is smyth's last and only chance for a great contract... they should have rewarded him for what he did for that team... he deserved it... a terrible decision... it will bite lowe back i think... people in edmonton are pissed... i doubt smyth comes back.... if i were him i'd be way to put off for that.

i do like demers though...and he's right we do have a better team than those other shoddy clubs and should definitely make the playoffs

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
Winning a Stanley Cup has nothing to do with intelligence...

In no way am I siding with the crazy Jason Allison lover but thats some flawed logic right there.
lol at "flawed logic", nice way to describe it.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
I think he was too much of a zealot in defending them. It's one thing to defend Gainey-because I agree people have been too harsh with him-but saying that Gainey was right in not doing any magor moves was pretty far fetched. Habs were not good enough during the season and we lost two important warriors(Huet, Rivet) wich makes us even weaker than we were. So less likely to advance in the playoffs. This year is the first time in years where we didn't get anybody new to go further in the playoffs. It's the first time that as a fan I recall feeling like there's absolutly zero chance for us to go further. And I have a feeling like the players feel depressed that they didn't get any help. If the GM wasn't willing to get more amunition, it looks as if he threw the towel so why would the players work their ass of anyway?
Agreed. And as for Gainey saying we're buyers no sellers, what's up with that?

This season Moved:

Samsonov from Waivers (this will only probably remotely help us come playoffs)
Ribeiro ---> Ninimaa (could have gotten better return for ribs)
Rivet ---> Gorges 1st pick (good return on a weak draft year)

Leighton from Waivers (worst decision ever made. Should be playing Halak in 66-75% of the games until season ends, we won't make it past 1st round without a goalie that hasn't at least gotten 20 NHL games under his belt. Putting Abby in isn't making Abby better. We can't ride Abby through the playoffs. Halak on the other hand, who knows his potential? He could have a god season if they just play him repedately. Get him up to speed. But no, they put in ABBY and he lets in 7 goals (no offense to him, mainly defense' fault anyways, but for Halak to improve he needs to play against good teams).

I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings.... anyways

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn404 View Post
Agreed. And as for Gainey saying we're buyers no sellers, what's up with that?

This season Moved:

Samsonov from Waivers (this will only probably remotely help us come playoffs)
Ribeiro ---> Ninimaa (could have gotten better return for ribs)
Rivet ---> Gorges 1st pick (good return on a weak draft year)

Leighton from Waivers (worst decision ever made. Should be playing Halak in 66-75% of the games until season ends, we won't make it past 1st round without a goalie that hasn't at least gotten 20 NHL games under his belt. Putting Abby in isn't making Abby better. We can't ride Abby through the playoffs. Halak on the other hand, who knows his potential? He could have a god season if they just play him repedately. Get him up to speed. But no, they put in ABBY and he lets in 7 goals (no offense to him, mainly defense' fault anyways, but for Halak to improve he needs to play against good teams).

I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings.... anyways
Leighton is a depth move nothing more. It cost nothing to bring him over, so I don't understand how this could be called the "worst decision ever made"? With Danis also hurt as the time, there was only 2 NHL-ready goalies left in the organization (Abby & Halak). Anyway, the team will need goaltenders in Hamilton next year too, as someone will graduate to be Huet's back-up - Abby and possibly Danis will be gone next year.

I agree with your assessment that Halak should start the balance of remaining games but that falls on Carbonneau, not Gainey.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
!nkubus

Demers and Danny Dubé are the 2 media person I respect the most for their opinions because they never say what people want to hear they always think before they talk. Yes demers have some languages issues but that dosen't mean he is not intelligent and not a good analyst.

And he is the last coach to win the Holy Trophy here in montreal

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
And he is the last coach to win the Holy Trophy here in montreal
Indeed he has....i liked him as a coach and i think hes great on TV. Honestly i dont get the guys who bash the RDS crew. I have an HD package and I choose to watch the game in french and on RDS. I can definitly say that Yvon and Pierre make the game exciting to watch. I admit sometimes they go on rants a little too long. But when Pierre yells "Et le but!!!!" ten times more exciting then anything else ive heard.

Going back to Jacques, the guy should be an inspiration to everyone. Lets not forget that he recently admitted that he didnt know how to read. Incredible man, trully and his mistakes are nothing compared to his extremely interesting point of view.

Quote:
Maybe Gainey did not want to mortgage the future because there's the LARGEST free agent class in HISTORY coming up.
Very good point!! I think people are forgetting that. Im sure things would be very different if we picked up a Guerin, had to give up half our team for it and then eventually a Datsyuk came around in the summer.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KujosHabs View Post
Going back to Jacques, the guy should be an inspiration to everyone. Lets not forget that he recently admitted that he didnt know how to read. Incredible man, trully and his mistakes are nothing compared to his extremely interesting point of view.

for those who didnt read his book, it is definitely worth it

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
for those who didnt read his book, it is definitely worth it
thats a good idea, im a big fan of autobiographies and was actually looking for a new book to read.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
MXD

Jacque Demersse will nevver be a GM aggain becuz he iz alreedy illlll enough and he'z notte geting any yonger.

There mitte be oter reasons, tou.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Habs721*

Quote:

Habs721* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
CHice

Send a message via MSN to CHice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
Winning a Stanley Cup has nothing to do with intelligence...

In no way am I siding with the crazy Jason Allison lover but thats some flawed logic right there.
lol jason allison good lord

CHice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
kdawg3522

"He is the only one worth listening to on RDS"
Yvon Pednault has Jacques Demers connections + literacy.

kdawg3522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Moester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg3522 View Post
"He is the only one worth listening to on RDS"
Yvon Pednault has Jacques Demers connections + literacy.
I think that they're among the best pairs in Canadian Broadcasting. I think much superior to anyone on CBC or TSN. Sometimes they tend to make some outrageous claims, but most of the time its just because they have characters and they've earned their right to an opinion. Personally I can't stand to watch anyone else.