HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article on Jimmy boy and Checketts from Saturday.. interesting

Old
03-05-2007, 10:00 AM
in the hall

vCash: 500
Article on Jimmy boy and Checketts from Saturday.. interesting

Apparently he didn't allow the former President of MSG inside the building for JD's ceremony. Also, JD wasn't allowed to give a speech.. this guy is a clown

http://www.nydailynews.com/03-04-200...p-423797c.html

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:08 AM
dank

yeah, about the Checketts thing, my cousin was sitting a couple rows behind them. i was curious as to why they were not treated properly..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:13 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Because the guys an egomaniac. Read the recent article in SI about him

03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Levitate

Where does it say that they wouldn't let JD have a speech?

Also, from other reports on this, Dolan is pissed at Checketts because Checketts tried to hire away several Garden employees while they were still working. It doesn't really surprise me that Dolan doesn't look kindly upon him if that's the case.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Also, JD wasn't allowed to give a speech.. this guy is a clown
Lupica is speculating:

"They brought J.D. out on the ice yesterday and he was cheered by the crowd, even if there was no speech. Maybe they were afraid he was going to say something nice about Checketts, who hired him to run the Blues.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
We who have lived throught this period of time in the Garden history realize how wrought with failure the Dolan regime has been. But when you read it in black and white print, it's just magnified. What a disgace this ownership is. And he'll never sell. Dolan's having a ball. Evidently fun and happiness is not measured by winning and success for this guy.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Why is this a story?The New York Daily News was the Dave Checketts house organ when Checketts ran the Garden.More of the same same old.Remember when Checketts told his buddy Mike Lupica "How much longer do I have to keep paying Messier for the Cup?" during the summer of 1997 when the Garden and the Messier camp were throwing knives at each other.The Rangers would leak stories to John Dellapina which were supposed to make Messier look like a greedy old man.Dellapina had a story that the Rangers offered Messier 2 years/$11 million when in reality the offer was much less

Gee which paper had this story?The Daily News.No coincedence

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Each team is required to give the visiting team 50 tickets for each road game

Quote:
On Saturday, with the Blues in New York, Checketts made plans to attend the game. But the Blues used up their allotment of 50 tickets on player requests, and when they asked for more tickets for Checketts, the Rangers denied them
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...3?OpenDocument

As Barry Watkins said the Rangers did not treat the Checketts group any different than any other team.They get 50 tickets and they gave them out but then they wanted more tickets.Well,they can go buy them

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

As Barry Watkins said the Rangers did not treat the Checketts group any different than any other team.They get 50 tickets and they gave them out but then they wanted more tickets.Well,they can go buy them
According to Mushnick , the Rangers had a suite for JD + family but Checketts and company were denied access by Dolan....
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03052007...l_mushnick.htm

"Davidson was given a suite for the day - but with one restriction: Members of the Blues' new New York-based ownership/management team, the men who used to work for the Garden, including ex-Garden president Dave Checketts, Ken Munoz and Mike McCarthy, were denied entrance."

Slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
chosen

Hard to believe that some here are defending Dolan after watching what he has done to this franchise.

He couldn't get Checketts a ticket as a professional courtesy? None were available?

You don't think JD would have wanted to say something at his own ceremony? Have you ever seen anyone have a ceremony and not speak?

Some choose this time to rail against Dellapina because he is the messenger. Unbelievable.

Dolan is a no class ass.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:01 AM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post
According to Mushnick , the Rangers had a suite for JD + family but Checketts and company were denied access by Dolan....
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03052007...l_mushnick.htm

"Davidson was given a suite for the day - but with one restriction: Members of the Blues' new New York-based ownership/management team, the men who used to work for the Garden, including ex-Garden president Dave Checketts, Ken Munoz and Mike McCarthy, were denied entrance."

God, Dolan needs to grow the F-up. I mean really if you give JD a box for the game then let him have whoever the F%^& he wants in the box. And if little Jimmy is so mad that some of his guys went to StL to work with Checketts he should be mad at himself because most people don't quit if they are being treated well or paid well. And if it is an upward move that he couldn't match, like JD, he should be happy for them not bitter A-hole.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:07 AM
in the hall

i just talked to someone that evidently knows dolan.. according to him he comes off looking a lot worse than what it is in reality, mostly because he is an easy target

there's a lot of good with the bad when it comes to dolan

Old
03-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Levitate

Quote:
i just talked to someone that evidently knows dolan.. according to him he comes off looking a lot worse than what it is in reality, mostly because he is an easy target

Blasphemy!

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I hung out with a former member of the Rockettes over the summer. Dolan runs Radio City, too, and, having met and negotiated contracts with him face-to-face, she confirmed what we all think of him. He's a man-child who has never grown up. His dad won't let him run the big parts of the Cablevision business, so he treats the sports franchises and Radio City like his personal little toys; like a kid pretends to be the general of a bunch of GI Joes. Meanwhile, the only thing he really cares about is his silly rock band.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Choice

Quote:

Well going by the SI article the guy is very loyal to his friends. Ask Sather or Isaiah, and there are probably some other ppl we dont know of, and theyll have great things to say about Dolan.

A rich weirdo is always an easy target, especially one who owns struggling sports franchises. But I would guess, like in most cases, the truth lies somewhere between what all the haters say and what a Sather would say.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:43 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I hung out with a former member of the Rockettes over the summer. Dolan runs Radio City, too, and, having met and negotiated contracts with him face-to-face, she confirmed what we all think of him. He's a man-child who has never grown up. His dad won't let him run the big parts of the Cablevision business, so he treats the sports franchises and Radio City like his personal little toys; like a kid pretends to be the general of a bunch of GI Joes. Meanwhile, the only thing he really cares about is his silly rock band.
why not me? why not me?!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
chosen

Quote:

Okay, I'll bite. What's the good?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:07 PM
in the hall

from the SI article he donates to a lot of charities and like they said above he is very loyal to his guys, and it seems like people do like him

MSG employees receive free cable/internet various other perks

he is a genuinely decent guy when you interact with him

Old
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
eh the impression I get is he just sees each as a money maker.. he doesn't care if he wins or loses

Old
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What a disgace this ownership is. And he'll never sell. Dolan's having a ball. Evidently fun and happiness is not measured by winning and success for this guy.
This is why I can't get too excited by any short-term success the Rangers might have. Because I konw that over the long-haul, Dolan is too incompetent as an owner to create a winning culture for this organization. And it starts with his blind loyalty to Sather.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

I have a lot of problems with Dolan, but not giving Checketts a ****ing ticket is not one of them.

The guy is RICH. Buy a ticket, you cheap ****. Don't leak it to the media to keep your grudge going.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post

I have a lot of problems with Dolan, but not giving Checketts a ****ing ticket is not one of them.

The guy is RICH. Buy a ticket, you cheap ****. Don't leak it to the media to keep your grudge going.
huh? dolan did not let him inside their suite, or even in the building

his family/friends did have to buy their own ticket but that wasn't the complaint

Old
03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post

It's not an issue of money. It's an issue of class and being a gracious host.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
huh? dolan did not let him inside their suite, or even in the building

his family/friends did have to buy their own ticket but that wasn't the complaint
The article specifically says that Checketts asked Dolan for more tickets when the team already used up their allotted ticket number.

Dolan did the right thing here as he showed no preference to a member of another ownership group. And good for him! He SHOULDN'T have given out another various number of free tickets.

In the article they basically say that they bought tickets off of StubHub .com.

I don't understand why people are faulting Dolan for not letting a millionaire in the arena for free.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not an issue of money. It's an issue of class and being a gracious host.
Than the Blues should've used their allotted tickets more wisely. It's an issue of the Blues being greedy.

And you know darn well that I'd never really support Dolan, but he was in the right on this issue.