HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La Presse, a serious newspaper?

Old
03-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Doctor House

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I would never doubt Francois Gagnon ... the guy has a lot of integrity
You're kidding right? Do you read his blog?

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Lapresse has more credibility than Le Journal de Montréal or even the Gazette. But it's not flawless but it should be noted that it is a serious newspaper.

I know they'll get bashed for what's happening but it's really one of the best, so I don't think they would've created this whole mess by themselves.
I'll take the gazette over La Presse any day of the week.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:54 AM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
I dont understand why people doubt it is true..cmon just read this

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01
and the integral interview.

It is clearly true and Kovalev is the one lying. He is not an assasin, he is just a guy who doesnt like playing here. Alright... simple.

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Kafka

La Presse was ready to get the story out on Saturday (for Sunday) but when Kovalev said he didn't said all that stuff, they took a step back and made sure again if everything was ok. Everything relies now on the shoulders of the journalist who wrote that down. If it wasn't truth, why would she have write it down since the story is meaningless in Russia.

Why would journalists in Russia not have the same ethic our journalists have?

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin View Post

It is clearly true and Kovalev is the one lying. He is not an assasin, he is just a guy who doesnt like playing here. Alright... simple.

Seems more like people are backtracking from all sides.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:13 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Yup LaPresse just lost all my confidence with the canadiens coverage this week... now I know that the journal de montreal is more credible since they clearly stated it's an hoax.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Mathletic

what's funny about all this is that a similar story happenend a couple of years ago with a Quebecer and a Swiss newspaper I believe in which they told the same kind of crap but everybody immediately believed the quebecer and that story was pushed aside very quickly

I don't remember who that guy was though

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin View Post

You're a s*cker.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:21 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Well, Ronald King is the Devil's Advocate.
You're right. But then again, he always is. I just think it's disappointing that Tremblay, Brunet, Labbé, Bégin and cie. are all saying the same thing.

And what I hate the most, is that they've been bashing the Habs for a while (read since january). I expect a bit more objective journalism, that's all.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
zx81

Who cares?
Kovalev sucks on the ice, we don't even need to know if he's a team player or not. He simply is a waste of money. Another bad contract given by Gainey.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Who cares?
Kovalev sucks on the ice, we don't even need to know if he's a team player or not. He simply is a waste of money. Another bad contract given by Gainey.
Who led the team in scoring last year?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
LeMAD

How many of you guys are paid by the Habs to bash anyone who dares to criticize them?

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
How many of you guys are paid by the Habs to bash anyone who dares to criticize them?
The team would be broke if that was the case.

Old
03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What about this year?
13 goals
4.5 Millions

He has an awful season and he's extremely overpaid.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
habslife

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
How many points did he get? Dare to compare his stats with other ''stars'' in the league... Good luck!

habslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
What about this year?
13 goals
4.5 Millions

He has an awful season and he's extremely overpaid.
The answer was Kovalev. This year would be Koivu.

Old
03-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
If you are talking about Brunet: I felt he was just writting down some events that occured since Gainey arrived (we all have to admit that losing Beauchemin was stupid since he just had to sign an AHL contract).

If you are talking about Kovalev: I am happy to get an insight about what is going on in the locker room. Sadly, it came from a player, and a player can't broke the omerta and go public to criticize its coach and mostly its own teamates. How can he call himself a teamplayer when he criticizes his teamates in a so coward way.

Old
03-05-2007, 12:59 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Isn't Elena Botchorichvili a Montreal author? I read one of her books in high school.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Isn't Elena Botchorichvili a Montreal author? I read one of her books in high school.
Yes, and she is one of the two who made the translation. See this:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...TS01/703050711

And there is an interview on the website in english: click beside the XM tag.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:22 PM
fatmax

I think it translate very well the media situation covering the Montreal Canadiens, every one of those reporter tries to find the scoop and the results of that is a lot of crap in the newspaper (usually in le Journal de Montreal).

La Presse however lost a lot of its credibility when you notice that it's always the same people writing stuff about the habs, it's either Francois Gagnon or Mathias Brunet, sometimes, there's another writer but it is very unlikely. How much credibility can you have if the team is always covered by the same guy, who'll wrote 2 or 3 article per day? How's his opinion? Is it bias or neutral? In my head, you can't write 2 articles per day, for the entire season with interesting and verify stuff, you can write your own opinion! (like the Gainey's situation over the trade deadline, since Gainey doesn't talk much, what could,ve happen? Why we didn't trade Souray? blah, blah, blah!)

However, it is interesting to note that, if the Kovalev Interview is real, it translate very well how russian are treated in Montreal. You take something that is negative about one player, you don't verify your sources and you publish in order to bash the player!

With this particular interview, you could've created a lot of thoughtful article that would've ask the right question: Is Latendresse better than Kostitsyn? Is Lapierre better than Kost? What type of role Sammy would've played for the Habs according to managment when we sign him? With the new NHL, could the habs finally drop their defensive, dumping puck type of game? The fact that there's a lot of tension between people from different origin since 9/11, could it explain the formation of "cliques" in the locker room? What is the "real" perception of russian player by the quebecers? Does Latendresse have a "tete enfl." since joining the habs? What type of player the new quebec generation will produce?... but La Presse mediocraly decided to go with the Scandal type of article. I guess it all comes down to whop sells the most paper in the end, the integrity and truth comes in last!

It's also funny (and sad) to see how internet affect the media, yes, internet is much more fast, but you can find yourself dating a 300lbs, 47 years old woman stating that she looks exactly like Salma Hayek

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Yes, and she is one of the two who made the translation. See this:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...TS01/703050711

And there is an interview on the website in english: click beside the XM tag.
As far as I know, she was never a sportswriter in Russia at any time.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmax View Post
I think it translate very well the media situation covering the Montreal Canadiens, every one of those reporter tries to find the scoop and the results of that is a lot of crap in the newspaper (usually in le Journal de Montreal).

La Presse however lost a lot of its credibility when you notice that it's always the same people writing stuff about the habs, it's either Francois Gagnon or Mathias Brunet, sometimes, there's another writer but it is very unlikely. How much credibility can you have if the team is always covered by the same guy, who'll wrote 2 or 3 article per day? How's his opinion? Is it bias or neutral? In my head, you can't write 2 articles per day, for the entire season with interesting and verify stuff, you can write your own opinion! (like the Gainey's situation over the trade deadline, since Gainey doesn't talk much, what could,ve happen? Why we didn't trade Souray? blah, blah, blah!)

However, it is interesting to note that, if the Kovalev Interview is real, it translate very well how russian are treated in Montreal. You take something that is negative about one player, you don't verify your sources and you publish in order to bash the player!

With this particular interview, you could've created a lot of thoughtful article that would've ask the right question: Is Latendresse better than Kostitsyn? Is Lapierre better than Kost? What type of role Sammy would've played for the Habs according to managment when we sign him? With the new NHL, could the habs finally drop their defensive, dumping puck type of game? The fact that there's a lot of tension between people from different origin since 9/11, could it explain the formation of "cliques" in the locker room? What is the "real" perception of russian player by the quebecers? Does Latendresse have a "tete enfl." since joining the habs? What type of player the new quebec generation will produce?... but La Presse mediocraly decided to go with the Scandal type of article. I guess it all comes down to whop sells the most paper in the end, the integrity and truth comes in last!

It's also funny (and sad) to see how internet affect the media, yes, internet is much more fast, but you can find yourself dating a 300lbs, 47 years old woman stating that she looks exactly like Salma Hayek
It's called a beat writer, and that's how sports is covered around the globe.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
As far as I know, she was never a sportswriter in Russia at any time.
You're writing about the other russian chick who wrote the story, not translated it for La Presse.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
You're writing about the other russian chick who wrote the story, not translated it for La Presse.
This is from the Cyberpresse link

Quote:
Un lien Internet nous permet d'accéder au site du magazine. Nous confions la traduction de ce long texte à notre collaboratrice Elena Botchorichvili, écrivaine québécoise et journaliste sportif en URSS pendant plus de 20 ans.
My french isn't as good as my english but it isn't bad enough to misinterpret that!

Old
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
les3couleurs

I believe the story 99%, La Presse has made all the verifications needed. Brunet is as credible as they come. The original russian writer first said she could supply all the proof needed then backtracked. What they heard was the same as the transcript.

It fits a 100% with what we've seen from Kovalev since he's been here, claiming to be a leader type of player, but playing selfishly most of the time. He's overtalented for the amount of heart he has.

Quote:
That's what journalists do sometimes, give their opinions. It's called editorials and that's what Brunet does mostly on the Canadiens.

Also, they are professional, if you can't write two articles per day, you can't be in the business.

Quote:
you don't verify your sources
How could they verify it more, plus they wrote an article entirely devoted to how they verified it. You did not verify if they checked their story, you didn't.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote