HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gdt? 03/04/07

Old
03-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
I really hope one assistant coach is sent packing after this year... Two str8 years of pathetic PP is enough...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
O'Marra, Nillson, and a 1st for Ryan Smyth. Would you have been willing to deal Andrew Ladd, Anton Babchuk, and a 1st for Ryan Smyth, Keith Tkachuk, or Bill Guerin? I know I wouldn't have with what this team has shown us this year.

I think Rutherford made a smart move by not adding more talent to a roster already too talented to be playing as poor as they have been. You have to have a good feel on your team to understand when an addition that may cost you your future is to be executed, and my confidence in this squad is at an all time low.
True, but with the talent this team has, missing the playoffs would make us the laughingstock of the NHL (as if the "hockey purists" didn't already feel that way)

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodGundy View Post
This has been the most disappointing part of the season for me.

As much as this loss hurts though, I don't mind so much if they win the games that they should. Such as the next three after a nice long rest. Atlanta was at home and just as motivated to win this game, so they should have won.
The thing about it is that you would hope that when a team has their back against the wall to the playoffs, they're going to win a few games they're not supposed to win in terms of the standings in order to gain a little breathing room. It helps that Montreal and Toronto lost last night, but this was a HUGE chance to take a couple of points and run away with them and we blew it.

I'm not sounding the trumpets for the season being over yet by any stretch, but it is the games like these that makes me think if Carolina even makes the playoffs they'll be out before they get too deep. This was a playoff style game against a division rival and when you can only muster a single goal, you're not going to win.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87 View Post
True, but with the talent this team has, missing the playoffs would make us the laughingstock of the NHL (as if the "hockey purists" didn't already feel that way)
Yeah, but I wouldn't worry too much about what "hockey purists", are saying about the team. Last season we experienced the highest high that a hockey fan can experience while the traditional teams in the traditional markets fell out one by one. We broke the hockey purists heart when we ousted Edmonton in 7 games in the Finals and they've got it out for us anyways. My point is we shouldn't even care.

I'm only disappointed because I expected better, not because anybody else told us we should be expecting better. They don't engrave "fluke", beside the cup for any team.

Old
03-04-2007, 04:43 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
O'Marra, Nillson, and a 1st for Ryan Smyth. Would you have been willing to deal Andrew Ladd, Anton Babchuk, and a 1st for Ryan Smyth, Keith Tkachuk, or Bill Guerin? I know I wouldn't have with what this team has shown us this year.

I think Rutherford made a smart move by not adding more talent to a roster already too talented to be playing as poor as they have been. You have to have a good feel on your team to understand when an addition that may cost you your future is to be executed, and my confidence in this squad is at an all time low.
This is why Whitney would look great in another teams pressbox right now.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:46 PM
CioCio

I held out posting in this GDT because last time I didn't we won. Our PP must absolutely blow. This would've been a great game to get some points in heading into some days off, but what can ya do? Regroup for the remaining games, I guess. I want Cole and Whitney to get healthy! I want Anson Carter to register a point, too!

I'm glad Belanger didn't score, though. We'd hear it from the Thrashers fans

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:48 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
The thing about it is that you would hope that when a team has their back against the wall to the playoffs, they're going to win a few games they're not supposed to win in terms of the standings in order to gain a little breathing room. It helps that Montreal and Toronto lost last night, but this was a HUGE chance to take a couple of points and run away with them and we blew it.

I'm not sounding the trumpets for the season being over yet by any stretch, but it is the games like these that makes me think if Carolina even makes the playoffs they'll be out before they get too deep. This was a playoff style game against a division rival and when you can only muster a single goal, you're not going to win.
You are saying everything I'm thinking right now. This is why I haven't been so rah rah lately. There's enough evidence out there now to feel a nice run is unlikely.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodGundy View Post
This is why Whitney would look great in another teams pressbox right now.
Catch 22 to the maximum right there. Had he pulled the trigger on a deal to ship out one of our only producing forwards, then fan reaction and locker room reaction would have been to "pack it in". Attendance would have gone down, morale would have gone down, and it may have soured Whitney on a potential return to Carolina after this season. When you're sitting in the cat bird seat at the deadline, inside the playoff line of demarcation, you simply cannot make yourself a seller without the situation exploding in your face.

I certainly agree that the potential return would have been tempting, but I would rather have Whitney next season when the team is totally healthy, totally motivated, and has the memory of being the best team in hockey totally out of their minds and start to play with a sense of purpose again. We have the best Top 9 forwards in hockey when everybody is healthy and there is no excuse for the lack of production from players like Eric Staal, Cory Stillman, and Erik Cole. Justin Williams to an extent as well. All of those guys should be point per game players.

Old
03-04-2007, 05:43 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

According to the AP story, Erik Cole is expected to miss another two weeks. So much for the hope that he might be back next weekend

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

This was the kind of game where you look at the players missing, the 4 days off coming up, and say we've gotta get at least 1 point. And against Kari Lehtonen, we couldn't even do that. 90 seconds of 6 on 4 to finish and we can't score. That one hurt. And yet, we're still very much in it.

Disappointing news about Cole - if only we could play and win through injuries like we did last year.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:47 PM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Yeah, but I wouldn't worry too much about what "hockey purists", are saying about the team. Last season we experienced the highest high that a hockey fan can experience while the traditional teams in the traditional markets fell out one by one. We broke the hockey purists heart when we ousted Edmonton in 7 games in the Finals and they've got it out for us anyways. My point is we shouldn't even care.

I'm only disappointed because I expected better, not because anybody else told us we should be expecting better. They don't engrave "fluke", beside the cup for any team.
my thoughts exactly -regardless of the outcome this month we are still CAROLINA HURRICANES STANLY CUP CHAMPIONS and the al strachans of the world will never be able to change that---however expecting us to win today against a team playing to get in the playoffs at home and us w/o cole and ray was just to much to ask and that is why lavi may have played graham--hopefully we can hang in there till we get these guys back and go into the final 10 games resonably healthy and finish strong-i also expect cam ward in net here on in

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:07 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Chuck K pointed out the big difference between last year and this year.

Last year, we were the Comeback Canes, the Cardiac Canes. 1 goal, even 2 goal's behind was no big deal. We set a record on how many games we came back and won.

How many games have we managed to come back from this year?

Two.

And how many of those games did we win?

Zero. We got a point but they were both lost in OT.

03-05-2007, 09:15 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post

Last year, we were the Comeback Canes, the Cardiac Canes. 1 goal, even 2 goal's behind was no big deal. We set a record on how many games we came back and won.

Two.

Actually the Canes came back in that one game against Florida this year in that fashion. But that's it, that's all there has been this year. A grand total of 4 points in come-from-behind fashion. Last years team must have had over 40 points doing that. Hell, at the begining of December I was even paraphrasing Any Given Sunday when we would head into the 3rd down by 2: Now they've got us right where we want them.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:19 AM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post

Two.

NHL.com has us as being 13-23-5 when the other team scores first, so that can't be right. That also doesn't include games where we scored first and the other team took the lead.

If he's talking about multi-goal deficits, then (besides the Florida game DaveG mentioned) there there was also the Ottawa game in November where Brind'amour got his 1000th point, the Florida game in December where Cole scored a PP goal in OT and the Buffalo game where we came back down from 3-0 but ended up losing 7-4.

I'd be interested to know how many of our two-goal comeback wins last season came in October and November. My guess would be most of them. There's only so many times a team can go down 2-0 on the backs of laughable defense (and in some cases goaltending) and mount a comeback before other teams learn to shut them down.

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 03-05-2007 at 09:28 AM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think he's talking about wins when trailing going into the third period

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:02 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
I wonder what stat I heard him talk about then.

caniacgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Yeah, Chuck K was talking about wins when going into the 3rd period trailing. They do have a decent record (I guess) for being scored on first. There was a stretch earlier this year of like 10 games where the other team scored first.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote