HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The reason why Ribeiro got traded...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
  #76
Sean Ruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I agree...but since we got off to such a good start, the obvious thing was to say that Ribs and Theo were the problems. It wasn't until the last few months that we see that maybe...they weren't the only problems.
Pretty much. The main issue I see is that the only true, old-school captain in that locker room is Souray. I love Koivu, but he is more of a leader through inspiration. He has had to overcome so much adversity, and despite it all he's still playing at a reasonably high level. Thats inspiring! But Koivu isnt the type to unify a broken team. Souray is more of a standup guy who isnt afraid to call players out.

Sean Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:50 AM
  #77
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well, It could be argued that our boy Gui wouldn't have made any other team in the NHL out of training camp.

And while many of you guys will get offended by this...would he have gotten the attention and chance to make the team this season if his name was something like Gary Smith? I highly doubt it...
Well, he had a great training camp. We all saw it. He was in the top 5 players for 2 years in a row (in training camp). So, yea, IMO he deserved his spot (and probably would have gotten it on any other NHL team with the way he had played in these camps). But yeah, something else helped his cause.

Anyway medias have nothing to do with Latendresse being on the team but I think the fans do. He was so popular that it helped him to get a spot on the roster.

And you're maybe right to say if his name was Gary Smith he wouldn't have made it. The fans love more Quebecois players and that's like that. You can't change people mind. If you have someone to blame for Latendresse getting a spot, blame the fans not the medias.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
  #78
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well, I don't mean to sound like an ******* here...but it's not surprising that some people from Montreal take offense to people bashing the french media.

I have nothing against french people (I come from a french family). But as for the french media in Montreal...that's a different story.
I'm not saying you have something against french people, not at all. But it's not the fact that the media is french that hurts the team, it's the fact that it's a big market media and that the fans are extremely passionate. That's why I think always blaming the "french" media is unfair. If no one in Québec spoke french, and everything else was the same (the many passionate fans, the winning tradition and so on), we would still have the same problems with the media. Just like players with the New York Yankees and Dallas Cowboys have problems with the media.

The problem is the fact that it's a big market media and there are so many really passionate fans. And it just happens that most of the media covering the Canadiens is french. Why insisting so much on the fact that the media is in french?

When there are controversies with the media covering Maple Leafs, would it make sense if francophone Leafs fans blamed the english media for the problems?

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
  #79
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
my god the french media is stupid and annoying.

I don't blame players for not wanting to play here..
What they're trying to tell you is that grouping together people as the 'french media' is ignorant on its own. If I act like a dick, most hope that I don't represent all middle aged people living in Eastern Ontario.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:07 PM
  #80
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I'm not a big Gagnon fan, personally. He's a friend of somebody I know, and can be pretentious. And, yes, that comment on Ribeiro was gratuitous. But could be that a member of the organisation wanted his rep spoiled, since the guy is having some success as of late in Dallas. Just maybe...
D., I heard the radio clip, and I got the impression gagnon was caught in the heat of the moment and was throwing out a tidbit to appear as an insider. It was stupid,imo, and he should know better. Elliot Price was the host, former play by play guy with the Expos. You think he has stories from the road ? There's no reason to go there. Anyone can hear the gossip if they listen hard enough, going back to th eteam's in the 50's. The beat guys know where the bodies are buried, but everyone has to draw their own morality line.
You mentionned a story you heard a few posts back, over a beer, I could throw out a few I've heard, but I wouldn't repeat them on the board, or if our group at the table was larger.

We're human, we gossip, but everyone has to have a compass, and it was silly of gagnon to say.

I have no illusions as to the guy in question's character, but you still can't say this stuff. You get one wrong, drag in one innocent party and step way off the sports page.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:12 PM
  #81
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ho View Post
I reported the story:

1) because I was curious to know if people heard about it before the trade.

and

2) if the story is true, it means that Gainey did a "so bad" move for some purpose. I don't miss Ribs, but I can't stand Niinima...
I don't blame you for posting the story. This board serves that purpose. I'm just sick of people saying "he's that kind of guy" without having a clue what they're talking about. Tagging a player for something he did once, that's not fair.

When I do something stupid once, I don't expect people to tag me as a stupid guy for that.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
  #82
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Ruck View Post
Pretty much. The main issue I see is that the only true, old-school captain in that locker room is Souray. I love Koivu, but he is more of a leader through inspiration. He has had to overcome so much adversity, and despite it all he's still playing at a reasonably high level. Thats inspiring! But Koivu isnt the type to unify a broken team. Souray is more of a standup guy who isnt afraid to call players out.
I agree I love Koivu, but if you are talking about an old school captain (Like Messier) who is going to yell and grab guys by the shirt to get them going, that is not Koivu's style.

I think Koivu is is more of a Joe Sakic kind of leader, I don't know for sure, but I've never heard Sakic being the rah rah type of leader...only by example on the ice.

I agree that Souray might be a more standup guy then Koivu, but he still has an A on his sweater, still giving him the right to do all the things that you say he can.

__________________
To me, Desharnais is like pop/radio music. No matter how hard I try, I just can't like him. - PyrettaBlaze
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
  #83
smiler2729
Registered User
 
smiler2729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Orangeville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Mike Ribeiro got traded because he was an embarrassment to his teammates and the fans of Montreal. His selfish soccer-like faking antics were pathetic and I'm glad he's gone even for a stiff like Niinimaa.

smiler2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:20 PM
  #84
Louis Houde
Registered User
 
Louis Houde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Trois-rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
I'm not saying you have something against french people, not at all. But it's not the fact that the media is french that hurts the team, it's the fact that it's a big market media and that the fans are extremely passionate. That's why I think always blaming the "french" media is unfair. If no one in Québec spoke french, and everything else was the same (the many passionate fans, the winning tradition and so on), we would still have the same problems with the media. Just like players with the New York Yankees and Dallas Cowboys have problems with the media.

The problem is the fact that it's a big market media and there are so many really passionate fans. And it just happens that most of the media covering the Canadiens is french. Why insisting so much on the fact that the media is in french?

When there are controversies with the media covering Maple Leafs, would it make sense if francophone Leafs fans blamed the english media for the problems?
+1

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
  #85
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=IcE ColD;8377337]I don't blame you for posting the story. This board serves that purpose. I'm just sick of people saying "he's that kind of guy" without having a clue what they're talking about. Tagging a player for something he did once, that's not fair.

When I do something stupid once, I don't expect people to tag me as a stupid guy for that.[/QUOTE]
Right. I've led a life full of stupidity and earned my title. One incident just isn't enough Ice. I'm glad you realize that and are working on it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:27 PM
  #86
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
[QUOTE=mcphee;8377509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
I don't blame you for posting the story. This board serves that purpose. I'm just sick of people saying "he's that kind of guy" without having a clue what they're talking about. Tagging a player for something he did once, that's not fair.

When I do something stupid once, I don't expect people to tag me as a stupid guy for that.[/QUOTE]
Right. I've led a life full of stupidity and earned my title. One incident just isn't enough Ice. I'm glad you realize that and are working on it.
Well, to be frank, I might as well end up being tagged as stupid, but tell no one. That'll be our secret.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:30 PM
  #87
Stefan_Latulippe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
Agree with that. Ribeiro isn't stupid.
Brodeur slept with his sister-in-law.......Kids or no kids, it does not make a difference.

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
  #88
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,368
vCash: 500
the site is really caught up in a frenzy today...

we should all have Pat O'Brien avatars...

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:48 PM
  #89
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Brodeur slept with his sister-in-law.......Kids or no kids, it does not make a difference.
I can't believe I'm saying this...but very good point Stefan

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:54 PM
  #90
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Brodeur slept with his sister-in-law.......Kids or no kids, it does not make a difference.
Sure. You're right, that is true. But that doesn't necessarily apply to all hockey players.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
  #91
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
D., I heard the radio clip, and I got the impression gagnon was caught in the heat of the moment and was throwing out a tidbit to appear as an insider. It was stupid,imo, and he should know better. Elliot Price was the host, former play by play guy with the Expos. You think he has stories from the road ? There's no reason to go there. Anyone can hear the gossip if they listen hard enough, going back to th eteam's in the 50's. The beat guys know where the bodies are buried, but everyone has to draw their own morality line.
You mentionned a story you heard a few posts back, over a beer, I could throw out a few I've heard, but I wouldn't repeat them on the board, or if our group at the table was larger.

We're human, we gossip, but everyone has to have a compass, and it was silly of gagnon to say.

I have no illusions as to the guy in question's character, but you still can't say this stuff. You get one wrong, drag in one innocent party and step way off the sports page.
I agree 110 %. Oups. I wrote 110 %. I'm pretty sure the next meeting between Gagnon and ribeiro will be fun to watch.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
  #92
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I agree 110 %. Oups. I wrote 110 %. I'm pretty sure the next meeting between Gagnon and ribeiro will be fun to watch.
Haha...sorry but we are going to have to ban you now. Just kidding!!!

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
  #93
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,941
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
the "fight" between kovalev and souray was not a team 990's story ?

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
  #94
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
the "fight" between kovalev and souray was not a team 990's story ?
They commented on the rumour. PJ Stock said it was the media blowing smoke up the collective butts of the paying public,but I don't know who broke the story. I'm sure they didn't though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
  #95
Stefan_Latulippe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
the "fight" between kovalev and souray was not a team 990's story ?
I think I was the one who brought it up first. I had heard it on Radio Energie 94.3. it was a discussion between Page and Thetrault.

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
  #96
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ho View Post
From Francois Gagnon's Blog on cyberpresse.ca. Francois Gagnon is a reliable journalist in Montreal:

"Quand Mike Ribeiro a fait des propositions malhonnêtes à la fille d’un membre de l’état-major du Canadien, il s’est fait sacrer dehors lui-aussi. Bon! Dans son cas, ce n’était peut-être que la goutte qui faisait déborder la coupe… Mais ça explique pourquoi le Canadien a donné son deuxième centre pour un défenseur qui n’est pas capable de jouer régulièrement avec une équipe démunie en défense…"

in english:
"When Mike Ribeiro made a dishonest proposal to the girl of a member of the staff of the Canadian, he was traded away. In his case, it was perhaps only the drop which made overflow the cup... But that explains why the Canadien gave its second center for a defender who is not able to play regularly with a team stripped on defense... "


link: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...cheid=20070305

Someone have more info about this story?
And here all along I thought he was traded because he was a whiner and his play sucked the last 2 years he was here

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:56 PM
  #97
Cyrrus147
Registered User
 
Cyrrus147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Haha what did Ribeiro expect? He looks like a ratfink! Any girl would go running to the boss if he was pursuing her!

btw I don't beleive this for a second. Ribeiro is married with kids.
lol everyone know that once you are married, you can't cheat your wife !

A hockey player would NEVER cheat his wife. In fact when they are on the road, they go pray at the church than they go sleep at their hotel at 6 pm (on non game day of course).

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
  #98
DDIHH
Registered User
 
DDIHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
And here all along I thought he was traded because he was a whiner and his play sucked the last 2 years he was here
That is why he would have been traded for a decent return later in the season.

I think that Gagnon's affirmation explain why he got traded so fast for Janne "9th defensemen at almost 3M$" Niinima.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
  #99
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,800
vCash: 500
I felt that the Ribeiro trade had a cleansing effect, and for several months the team played well. It gave Plekanec an opportunity to show what he can do, and by now I'm sure no one is disappointed (except a few Ribeiro partisans). Why Niinimaa? I think Gainey was concerned about injuries to Bouillon and Cote, among others, and he couldn't be certain that Streit would be adequate (for all Streit's sterling offensive play, he isn't a stone fortress in his own end). Apparently Ribeiro's market value wasn't high and Gainey seemed to want a live body rather than a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice. Could Gainey have gotten a better Dman? Who knows?

Why do I say the trade had a cleansing effect? The fact that Gainey also rid the team of the other Amigos lends plausibility to my speculation. The unsavory rumors floating about that clique (including cocaine use) haven't been proven beyond a shadow of doubt but they haven't been refuted either.

Whatever faults Gainey has as a GM, he's a straightshooter. Rivet had kind words to say about him despite being traded late in the season after having friction with Gainey's handpicked coach. Gainey must have felt it was necessary to move Ribeiro even though he didn't pause long enough to bring in an established center to replace Ribeiro before he pulled the trigger.

What other issues besides character might have been factors in Gainey's willingness to trade Ribeiro? One of them may have been Ribeiro's lack of production in the playoffs. However, other players besides Ribeiro have been known to fade in the playoffs. Therefore, I return to the premise that it was character, just character, that especially ticked Gainey off and led him to trade Ribeiro before he had played even one regular season game with Samsonov and Kovalev.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
  #100
Thundermare
Registered User
 
Thundermare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Quand Rod Brind’Amour a fait de l’œil à l’épouse d’un de ses coéquipiers dans le vestiaire des Flyers de Philadelphie, il s’est retrouvé dans la Sibérie du hockey, en Caroline, où il a agonisé pendant des années avant de soulever la coupe Stanley l’an dernier
If I remember well it was actually LIndros that went with Brind'Amour's wife/girlfriend... and Clarke had to trade one of the two before they gutted each other

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.