HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Isles Salute You

Old
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Cygnus

vCash: 500
We Isles Salute You

There's nothing we can say nor do
No real support for you
We Isles can never really make it up
But we will, for you, shoot for the Cup

Then share it with you...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vk2DQjVep7c

Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:49 PM
philthy mcnasty*

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 520
I thought the oilers had lost more players then just 4 since last June? didn't the oilers change almost half their lineup?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
No real support for you

I think giving us Nillson, omarra and a 1st was enough for him. We werent going anywhere this year anyways. If we really need him we'll throw 6M or even 7M at him and get him back. Best of luck on the cup run.. I'll be cheering for NYI

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
No real support for you

Even though it costs us the quality of a draft pick I'm firmly cheering for you guys and Ryan Smyth. Damn Centre Ice ain't available through Shaw Cable or I'd be watching every Oillander game!

ps if I squint right all I can see is blue jerseys the round logo, and pretend theres an Oildrop...

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:06 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil View Post
I thought the oilers had lost more players then just 4 since last June? didn't the oilers change almost half their lineup?
Those were the main guys.

He didn't include people like Rem Murray, Todd Harvey, Georges Laraque, and Dick Tarnstrom. Kinda surprised he didn't mention Jaro Spacek, though.

Last edited by oiler-dude: 03-04-2007 at 07:36 PM.
oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Bones45
I want my $2!

Smyth has played a total of two games with the Isles and I can see a huge difference already..

We had been playing really well (5-1-1) recently anyway.. and then SMyth came.. but the difference has been amazing.

The is confidence on this team which I haven't seen in 15+ years......honestly? Not since the late 80's.

If you can--def catch a game or too----

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Tyrolean

I always cheer for the underdogs, unless it's Calgary. I never cheer for them in anything. Islanders may overpay to sign Smyth next year so all the power to him. Good luck as you guys have been down as long as us.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:51 PM
st bonnies*

salute to Oilers

Oilers fans are the classiest fans

a salute from Long Island!!!!!

st bonnies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:09 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Smyth has played a total of two games with the Isles and I can see a huge difference already..
Two words: power play!

They scored 3PPG in the game against Washington, giving them a total of 4PPG on the season

nyisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
dsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post

He didn't include people like Rem Murray, Todd Harvey, Georges Laraque, and Dick Tarnstrom. Kinda surprised he didn't mention Jaro Spacek, though.
Also Radek Dvorak.

dsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:02 PM
BleedOil83

Huge respect for Isles fans. I'm really impressed by the relationship the two fan bases have.

I have to strongly disagree with one part of the video though. Although Ryan was the face of the franchise and the loss may have hurt us all much more... Losing Prongs easily had a much bigger impact on our team. Good work though.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:06 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Huge respect for Isles fans. I'm really impressed by the relationship the two fan bases have.

I have to strongly disagree with one part of the video though. Although Ryan was the face of the franchise and the loss may have hurt us all much more... Losing Prongs easily had a much bigger impact on our team. Good work though.
As a long-time and long-suffering Islander fan I completely agree. Honestly, I hated you guys in the mid to late 80's for breaking up "our" dynasty...but now that I look at it...I'm glad that it was the Oilers and the city of Edmonton that pried Lord Stanley's Cup from Long Island. Your city and your organization exudes class and tradition that parallels the history of the Islanders. Here's to hoping that BOTH organizations will return to glory and meet in the FINALS in the near future. I just pray that Ryan will be wearing the Isles orange, white and blue!!!

P.S. If you guys can catch it...the Islanders are playing the Rags tonight. I know that the Battle of Alberta between the Oilers and Flames is intense...BUT...the Islander/Ranger rivalry is equally as passionate. I'm sure Smytty will be ready!!!

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:24 AM
boxall9

Nothing against the Isles but I hope they really tank the rest of the season. This is simply because the worse they do the better the first round pick we got from them will be. Two top ten picks? That would be sweet!

boxall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:32 AM
sjtigers

yeah personally I hope the Isles scrape in the playoffs or finish just out because I worry about the Oils draft pick and the last thing I want is you to win the cup cause you would pick last.

sjtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:39 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxall9 View Post
Nothing against the Isles but I hope they really tank the rest of the season. This is simply because the worse they do the better the first round pick we got from them will be. Two top ten picks? That would be sweet!
I take everything thing I said about you guys back!!! LOL

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Cygnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
ps if I squint right all I can see is blue jerseys the round logo, and pretend theres an Oildrop...
:goodpoint: I once read Sather saying something about how he'd wanted to pattern the Oilers after the Islanders. I wonder if the uniform was part of that since they really are so similar.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
OYLer

The EIG saved cents not spending CAP Buck$ to make the playoffs to earn more revenues

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post

With CFP, Peca, Samsonov, Dvorak add in Moreau's year long absence, that makes 10 puzzle pieces removed from a jigsawed linup. This is was very different veteran depleted team.

Consider Smytty gone for 10 games, Hemsky missing games with his shoulder and less than 100%, along with Stoll's & Pisani's, Gilber's concussions and Tjarnqvist out with the pubic bone flare-up, Reasoner missed time too with concussion and shoulder. Staois out with a knee, didn't Smith miss some games because of his foot, plus all the other nagging injuries

Given all this upheavel, veteran player movement out and the ongoing impact from injury, how did the Edmonton Oilers not spend to the CAP limit to fill all of those holes? I guess we fans were asked to say: Swiss Cheese, Grin and Bare it. It's no wonder the typical Oilers' fan isn't a picture of content, right now.

What's wrong with the framing of this question: Why are Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, San Jose, Colorado, Buffalo, Detroit, New Jersey, Tampa Bay, Dallas able to spend to the CAP and not Edmonton? Boston is just over a million short of the CAP and the Wild is just under a million (remember Gaborik was gone a very long time with his groin), yet they were able to spend very close to the CAP and Edmonton (who brought in CAP revenues in the top ten) wasn't! Other teams' Mangement/Owners reacted to fill their UFA and injury holes in order to stay in the playoff hunt and the Oilers didn't. Why?

In retrospect we have to conclude that the Edmonton Oilers organization decided early-on not to spend the money to stay competitive. Choosing not to sign Smytty immediately @ 5 mil U$ and fill the Pronger hole in July and then dance around the CAP to tie up Hemsky, Pies, Horcoff, etc. plus suck-it-up and immediately put injured players on the IR and bring in replacements continues to be a strategy that the EIG refuses to budget for. This then was another Budgeted Year of Self-Imposed Mediocrity.

OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Felix the Cat

I am a die hard Isles fan and when we traded for Ryan Smyth I was happy because we got a playmaker. I see the guy get emotional and all of that and people of Canada losing their minds and I couldn't understand. After 2 games, i understand why. This guy has single handedly changed this franchise and the fan base. I have never seen confidence in this team since the Lafontaine or Turgeon years. The guy is an unbelieveable presence, and I will loose my freakin mind if he leaves the Isles(which I think he will) If he does leave, i hope you guys get him back because as far as I'm concerned, he should only be wearing orange and blue. It truly is an honor to have this guy bring some energy back to the coliseum and we all thank you. If he goes back next year, I will truly become an Oilander fan.

Felix the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Cygnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYISLES81 View Post
I am a die hard Isles fan and when we traded for Ryan Smyth I was happy because we got a playmaker. I see the guy get emotional and all of that and people of Canada losing their minds and I couldn't understand. After 2 games, i understand why. This guy has single handedly changed this franchise and the fan base. I have never seen confidence in this team since the Lafontaine or Turgeon years. The guy is an unbelieveable presence, and I will loose my freakin mind if he leaves the Isles(which I think he will) If he does leave, i hope you guys get him back because as far as I'm concerned, he should only be wearing orange and blue. It truly is an honor to have this guy bring some energy back to the coliseum and we all thank you. If he goes back next year, I will truly become an Oilander fan.
What he said.

But I still like Mike Peca, too.