HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article on Jimmy boy and Checketts from Saturday.. interesting

Old
03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post
According to Mushnick , the Rangers had a suite for JD + family but Checketts and company were denied access by Dolan....
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03052007...l_mushnick.htm

"Davidson was given a suite for the day - but with one restriction: Members of the Blues' new New York-based ownership/management team, the men who used to work for the Garden, including ex-Garden president Dave Checketts, Ken Munoz and Mike McCarthy, were denied entrance."
Mushnick isn't breaking any news there.All of that info was in the Checketts house paper

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not an issue of money. It's an issue of class and being a gracious host.
Class?Checketts is all about Checketts.On the day the Garden was honoring John Davidson,Checketts and Mike McCarthy couldn't take the high road and not make an issue out it.This was JD's day but Checketts and McCarthy went crying to their buddies at the News about how bad a person Dolan was and how the Garden mistreated them.They were given 50 tickets.Where did all of the tickets go?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Class?Checketts is all about Checketts.On the day the Garden was honoring John Davidson,Checketts and Mike McCarthy couldn't take the high road and not make an issue out it.This was JD's day but Checketts and McCarthy went crying to their buddies at the News about how bad a person Dolan was and how the Garden mistreated them.They were given 50 tickets.Where did all of the tickets go?
Exactly! Checketts is just as classless as Dolan is for bringing this to the media and making such a big ****ing deal out of it.

I mean, Christ almighty it's not the end of the world. A millionaire has to buy tickets to a game that he couldn't get in for free to!? Oh no! Hang Dolan for such a travesty!

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:08 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Than the Blues should've used their allotted tickets more wisely. It's an issue of the Blues being greedy.

And you know darn well that I'd never really support Dolan, but he was in the right on this issue.
Quote:
Exactly! Checketts is just as classless as Dolan is for bringing this to the media and making such a big ****ing deal out of it.

I mean, Christ almighty it's not the end of the world. A millionaire has to buy tickets to a game that he couldn't get in for free to!? Oh no! Hang Dolan for such a travesty!

as usual, SBOB said it better than me.. man you are REALLY missing the point here

even if checketts had used one of those 50 tickets, he was not being allowed in the building.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
eh the impression I get is he just sees each as a money maker.. he doesn't care if he wins or loses
Actually, neither one turns enough of a profit to really make a big difference in the the Cablevision empire (which is staggeringly huge). They're really just playthings and part of the public face of the Empire.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Actually, neither one turns enough of a profit to really make a big difference in the the Cablevision empire (which is staggeringly huge). They're really just playthings and part of the public face of the Empire.
thats not even remotely true

Old
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Anyone one else think that once Verizon Fios starts becoming bigger that many Rangers and Knicks fans are going to leave Cablevision?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Chicken or the egg. If Dolan had been gracious, there would be nothing to make an issue out of.

And I'm not pro-Checketts. If he's a jerk, fine. Be better than that.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 03-05-2007 at 01:27 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:20 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Anyone one else think that once Verizon Fios starts becoming bigger that many Rangers and Knicks fans are going to leave Cablevision?
why would they? to show dissatisfaction for their performance?

Old
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Than the Blues should've used their allotted tickets more wisely. It's an issue of the Blues being greedy.

And you know darn well that I'd never really support Dolan, but he was in the right on this issue.
He's right on the issue? He created the issue.

Read the article in SI. Dolan is an egomaniacal sociopath.

I'm not taking Checketts' side of the thing. I'm just tired of being embarrassed by this owner.

Bottom line: Wellington Mara would have found a way to resolve this "issue" in a manner that would have been gracious and classy. Two things Dolan is incapable of ever being.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Levitate

Quote:
even if checketts had used one of those 50 tickets, he was not being allowed in the building.
So...how did he get in? Apparently he was "not allowed in the building" but still managed to see the game.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
as usual, SBOB said it better than me.. man you are REALLY missing the point here

Where does it say Checketts wasn't allowed in the building? He got tickets from Busch and WAS in the building for the game. And you're telling me I'M missing the point? You're the one who has found the magical writing that said Checketts was barred from the building. Either you can't read the article you posted or you're just making stuff up.

I see nowhere in any of the articles where he was barred admission. He wasn't allowed in JD's suite, but he was still at the game.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
He's right on the issue? He created the issue.

Read the article in SI. Dolan is an egomaniacal sociopath.

I'm not taking Checketts' side of the thing. I'm just tired of being embarrassed by this owner.

Bottom line: Wellington Mara would have found a way to resolve this "issue" in a manner that would have been gracious and classy. Two things Dolan is incapable of ever being.
Hey, I agree with you on all points. Dolan might not have been the classiest in this, but he didn't do anything wrong nor really that bad.

Checketts is making a big deal about nothing.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Is that SI article available online? It says in this article that Dolan believes that a lot of the nasty things about him that appear in the SI article came from Checketts.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:46 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Where does it say Checketts wasn't allowed in the building? He got tickets from Busch and WAS in the building for the game. And you're telling me I'M missing the point? You're the one who has found the magical writing that said Checketts was barred from the building. Either you can't read the article you posted or you're just making stuff up.

I see nowhere in any of the articles where he was barred admission. He wasn't allowed in JD's suite, but he was still at the game.
it was in the mushnick article (and implied in the DNY article), but i already had heard about this before it was posted.. he was not allowed in the building

Quote:
Just below it, the Dolan stench-maker was at full throttle. Davidson was given a suite for the day - but with one restriction: Members of the Blues' new New York-based ownership/management team, the men who used to work for the Garden, including ex-Garden president Dave Checketts, Ken Munoz and Mike McCarthy, were denied entrance.

That's right, an NHL team owner made it clear that fellow NHL team owners were not welcomed in Jimmy's Playhouse, er, Madison Square Garden, on the day their teams played each other.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Is that SI article available online? It says in this article that Dolan believes that a lot of the nasty things about him that appear in the SI article came from Checketts.
here's the post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ustrated+dolan

here's the article.. its long but a great read

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...212/index.html

Old
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
So...how did he get in? Apparently he was "not allowed in the building" but still managed to see the game.
where do you see that?

Old
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Levitate

uhh, it even says in that article that he "managed to get through the entire afternoon at the Garden without being thrown out"

He got into the building. He watched the game. He wasn't barred entry, and he wasn't thrown out.

Also, from the other Daily News article that isn't quite as sensationalist.

Quote:
The reason, according to sources on both sides, was that the long-strained relationship between Checketts and Garden chairman James Dolan has become downright hostile since last summer. That was when Checketts and the Blues attempted to hire one or more Garden employees, angering Dolan.
It honestly doesn't sound like Dolan is the only one to blame here.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:03 PM
dave4

Quote:

He was at the game because he bought a ticket like eveyone else. Or had it bought for him, or whatever terminology you'd like to use. Jimmy Boy just wanted to make it as difficult as possible for Checketts to get in, and he did.

Count me as one who is sick of the lack of class Dolan shows. Jeez, do the right thing for ONCE for crying out loud. Plain and simple, Dolan is about Dolan, nothing else. I'm sure he's doing his best to help us win, but let's remember that in 1994 he was most likely rooting for the Islanders in the first round.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:10 PM
cityhockeyfever

Quote:
We who have lived throught this period of time in the Garden history realize how wrought with failure the Dolan regime has been. But when you read it in black and white print, it's just magnified. What a disgace this ownership is. And he'll never sell. Dolan's having a ball. Evidently fun and happiness is not measured by winning and success for this guy.
As much as I've blamed Cablevision for the fall from grace Madison Square Garden and its tenants are, I do blame Jim Dolan for much of a mess that has all but destroyed the aura the World's Most Famous Arena has brought over the years. I used to be a big Knicks fan for a long time, but after the way Dolan and his brass treated Patrick Ewing in pushing him out the door in 2000, I lost so much interest in that team. I barely watch Knicks games anymore. My loyalty to the Rangers of nearly 25 years is the only thing keeping me from disconnecting from the Garden altogether.

At the same time, they'll get rid of you as part of layoffs real fast if you are nothing more than a seasonal employee. There's no loyalty on their part.

Sadly, we get teased time and again that Dolan might sell the Garden. One recently possibility was when he had that fight with his father. Man, I was so pissed he didn't. He's such an a** hole. Someday someone else will own this operation. I don't care if they did that "50 Greatest Moments at Madison Square Garden" series. It is shameful Dolan has any association with the Rangers and another thing... the 1970 NBA champion Knicks as the #1 moment instead of the 1994 Cup champion Rangers?! Talk about obvious loyalty Dolan has to the Knicks over the Rangers.

Quote:
from the SI article he donates to a lot of charities and like they said above he is very loyal to his guys, and it seems like people do like him

MSG employees receive free cable/internet various other perks

he is a genuinely decent guy when you interact with him
Yeah, free cable and other perks? Please. Not everyone got that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
This is why I can't get too excited by any short-term success the Rangers might have. Because I konw that over the long-haul, Dolan is too incompetent as an owner to create a winning culture for this organization. And it starts with his blind loyalty to Sather.
Exactly. There won't be a true and long-term winning culture at Madison Square Garden until Dolan sells. Period. A Rangers' Cup win will be an embarassment if Dolan is still the owner and in that locker room when the team celebrates.

Quote:
...Dolan is an egomaniacal sociopath.

Couldn't have said any of that better.

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
it was in the mushnick article (and implied in the DNY article), but i already had heard about this before it was posted.. he was not allowed in the building
You're completely, 100% wrong and you completely misread the article you are quoting.

Old
03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
He was at the game because he bought a ticket like eveyone else. Or had it bought for him, or whatever terminology you'd like to use. Jimmy Boy just wanted to make it as difficult as possible for Checketts to get in, and he did.
Uh, well yeah that's exactly what I said.

And why should he be getting MORE THAN THE 50 TICKETS ALLOTTED FOR THE VISITING TEAM JUST because he is Dave Checketts?

That's a joke.

Checketts is *****ing to the media and making himself look like as big a jerk as Dolan is in all of this simply because he's whining.

Old
03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
where do you see that?
Read the articles posted in this thread.

Yours and the others.

Next time you want to argue about something it might do you a bit of good.

Old
03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
RFAN

Mike and the mad puppy are killing Dolan right now on the air about the whole issue. Calling him petty and clueless. Now there killing MSG network.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Thanks for the link to the SI article, in the hall. It was a good read. I had no idea Dolan's substance abuse problems were that severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN View Post
Mike and the mad puppy are killing Dolan right now on the air about the whole issue. Calling him petty and clueless. Now there killing MSG network.
Oh man, not these guys. It's a known fact that these guys hate Dolan.

Has there been a thread on this board recently with so many unlikeable egos? You've got Dolan, Checketts, Lupica and now Mike and the Mad Dog...I don't even want to take sides on an issue like this because they're all losers.

Last edited by NYR94: 03-05-2007 at 02:24 PM.
NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote