HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top Performing Russian Prospects

Old
03-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 500
Top Performing Russian Prospects

Sorry, didn't see this up, so sorry if this has been posted, but our newly aquired Russian Defencemen makes a splash on the top 20 list, at #2! and quote this:

" Overall, Grebeshkov is an NHL-caliber defenseman who belongs back in North America next season."

Dayum, ready already, he is steadily impressing me....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9478

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Giggli G

Grebeshkov a Top Russian Prospect

http://hockeysfuture.com/articles/9478

He's currently the second-ranked prospect (according to HF), they say he definitely "NHL calibre" and should play here next year.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
T-Funk

nice, thx for da link

T-Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Walsher

Not sure I am going to like the prospects of a Grebeshkov, Smid, Greene, Gilbert bottom four or 4-7. If this is the case, it will be the same story as this year for the Oilers and their d-corps. Grebeshkov may turn out, he may not. By the sounds of things he will get a one-way contract and we will be forced to see either way. I think Russian prospects are very finicky. You either get HIGH end Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin, type players or nothing. Feast or famine. I hope Grebeshkov is a feast, but I can also smell famine.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Not sure I am going to like the prospects of a Grebeshkov, Smid, Greene, Gilbert bottom four or 4-7. If this is the case, it will be the same story as this year for the Oilers and their d-corps. Grebeshkov may turn out, he may not. By the sounds of things he will get a one-way contract and we will be forced to see either way. I think Russian prospects are very finicky. You either get HIGH end Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin, type players or nothing. Feast or famine. I hope Grebeshkov is a feast, but I can also smell famine.
I am going to take a wild stab and predict that one of those four guys will not be Oilers property by the time the puck drops in October to open the 07/08 season.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I am going to take a wild stab and predict that one of those four guys will not be Oilers property by the time the puck drops in October to open the 07/08 season.
I hope you are right, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Looks like the kid could be pretty good. It, also, sounds like he's got some grit to his game, which is never a bad thing.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:48 PM
ChrisB

My guess is that Greene is on the way out the door. He hasn't seemed to progress a great deal this season, while they specifically traded for Grebeshkov, Smid is suposed to be a key piece of the future puzzle and Gilbert looked more like he belonged than Greene in the small sample we saw of him playing this season.

ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
brownhornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
My guess is that Greene is on the way out the door. He hasn't seemed to progress a great deal this season, while they specifically traded for Grebeshkov, Smid is suposed to be a key piece of the future puzzle and Gilbert looked more like he belonged than Greene in the small sample we saw of him playing this season.
I'd say that Greene is still important to the Oilers. You have to figure that Jason Smith will get at LEAST 4 million when he becomes a UFA. I guess it still depends on what the Oil do this summer....which is becoming painful to wait for.

brownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post

I strongly disagree. I think Grebs, Smid, Gilbert, Greene are fine as the 4-7. Look around the NHL. Our 4-7 is about the same as most teams. Your 4-6 D should never be the reason why you lose games. If your have a good top 3 you will be fine. Look at baseball. If you have 4 stud pitchers it doesn't matter if your 5-6-7 rotation are crap because your studs should be able to carry the team. The problem is that our top 3-Smith, Staois, Hejda is brutal when compared to other teams top 3. We have no D studs to carry the team. Calling Smith or Staois a # 2 defensmen would be generous. IMO they both are #3 Defensemen, really good 2nd unit defensemen. I think the problem is we don't have adequate #1-2 defensemen. The third unit is fine compared to other teams third unit.

I've been huge on Grebs from day 1. He going to have a 1 way contract so I don't know why most people are leaving him out of the lineup when projecting lines for next year. The way I look at is we gave Buffalo a 7th for Hejda. Our scouts over in Russia obviously know what they are doing because Hejda was a huge steal. Hejda is a legitimate # 4 Defensemen in his first year in N.A. Pretty impressive. We gave up a 10-15 goal scoring defensemen with a cap friendly contract AND a third rounder for Grebs- obvsiously the scouts are really, really high to give that to the Islanders(the package is decent but think of the timing, giving the Islanders our top scoring D in the middle of our playoff race) but we Really, really, wanted this player!

My instincts are that Grebs will be as good/better than Hejda and I already stated think Hejda is a legit #4 Defensemen so I'm pretty excited about Grebs next year.

Last edited by Traktor*: 03-05-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

I love the fact that Grebeshkov is progressing and all, but I still hate our D corps

we need to sign AT LEAST 1 vetern puck-mover that can play on the top line...someone like Timonnen

Timonnen-Smith
Smid-Staios
Grebeshkov-Hejda
Gilbert

gone: Roy or Greene

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Not to rain on anyone's parade about Grebeshkov, but wasn't the same thing said about Mikhnov last year? There is a massive difference between the RSL and the NHL. Grebeshkov struggled at the NHL level and was disappointing at the AHL level this year (not motivated?). The RSL is a step down, so I'm not sure he's going to come over here and step right in. If he does, it will either be a surprise, or a statement on the woes the Oilers blueline is going to face the upcoming season.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
serum114

I think that Smid and Grebs will be among the younger guys on the roster, and I also believe that the blueline will be bolstered by a second tier FA signing (Preissing? Sydor? someone?) and further by a big deal for a younger top 4 guy (JBo? Pitkanen? Hamhuis? Seabrook? Volchenkov?).

I think Greene may end up being the odd man out, but think by next season our D will look something like this:

Smith-UFA/trade
Staios-Smid
Grebeshkov-UFA/trade
Gilbert/Roy/Greene/someone

Depending on who comes in, the lineup shakes down differently. I'd love to sign a solid vet, deal for a Hamhuis or Volchenkov, and spend some cap space/assets on a couple upgrades at forward...

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Elim99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iconoclast View Post
Not to rain on anyone's parade about Grebeshkov, but wasn't the same thing said about Mikhnov last year? There is a massive difference between the RSL and the NHL. Grebeshkov struggled at the NHL level and was disappointing at the AHL level this year (not motivated?). The RSL is a step down, so I'm not sure he's going to come over here and step right in. If he does, it will either be a surprise, or a statement on the woes the Oilers blueline is going to face the upcoming season.
I don't think Mikhnov was ever considered that highly by outside sources (except from some Oiler fans).

Elim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
serum114

Quote:
Check your facts, Grebs didn't play in the A this year and was dominant in the two seasons he was there.

He HAS played in North America and played well (unlike Mik) and furthermore he isn't unwilling to play here, he is just unwilling to play here in the AHL where he faces lesser competition for less money.

I think he would be a solid 5/6 guy next season, and can earn a spot higher up with his play.

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Mikhnov didn't get a chance. 1 game with atleast 14 minutes with top 6 linemates would have been the chance he didn't recieve.

Grebs leading the AHL in assists is considered disappointing?

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim99 View Post
I don't think Mikhnov was ever considered that highly by outside sources (except from some Oiler fans).
I'm pretty sure he was rated in the top three for Russian prospects prior to this year.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:13 PM
BleedingOil

No way Smith gets 4 million on the market.

BleedingOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
brownhornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
No way Smith gets 4 million on the market.
I said the same thing about Brewer...

brownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114 View Post
Check your facts, Grebs didn't play in the A this year and was dominant in the two seasons he was there.
Sorry, maybe I should have been a little more clear, he disappointed by not reporting. And if you mean that "Grebs" was dominant by being crappy defensively, soft as the staypuft marshmallow man, and less than disiplined, then yeah, "Grebs" was dominant. Holy smokes, if the guy was "dominant" he would have been in the NHL strutting his stuff. Don't take my word for it though, there are more than enough posts on this site and others hammering the guy for poor play and questionable development.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline   Reply With Quote