HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFAs To Target: Kimo Timonen.

Old
03-04-2007, 11:03 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
A little RFA offer sheet on Pitkanen should take care of their cap space, don't you think?
Philly has a ton of cap space to work with. The offer sheet would have to be huge for them not to match - over 6.5M. Bit of an overpay

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:48 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
UFA's to go after by the Oilers:

NONE!!!!

If we go after UFA's they will be ridiculously overpriced for 2 reasons: i) Thats just what happens ii) We would have to pay them more than everyone else just to come to Edmonton.

The best way Kevin Lowe is going to be able to make this team better is through trades. We have so many young assets and draft pics we could easly trade for markee players because of other teams cap troubles.
If we can lure a couple FA's here with out having to over pay then I say sign them, but we also need to clear some room, if we can do things through trade then we can get younger and cheaper players that will be here longer.

One of Briere and Drury should be singed here and a defense man or traded for.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
Yo do realize we offered Chara 7 million dollars last year? There is no reason to think (unless of course he signs an extension with the Preds) that the Oilers can't be in running for Timonen's services.

Sure, we may not win the sweepstakes, but that is no reason not to go after him.
I did not know we went after Chara at 7M - where did you find that out? Did Lowe say it or was it some "leak"?

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
If we can lure a couple FA's here with out having to over pay then I say sign them, but we also need to clear some room, if we can do things through trade then we can get younger and cheaper players that will be here longer.

One of Briere and Drury should be singed here and a defense man or traded for.
Briere, Hartnell, and Hannan are on the top of my list. Hartnell makes Torres expendable IMO. He could then be package for a Dman - maybe Zidlicky could be grabbed from Nashville if they resign Timonen to a big deal and have a huge crop of great young D.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:35 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Briere, Hartnell, and Hannan are on the top of my list. Hartnell makes Torres expendable IMO. He could then be package for a Dman - maybe Zidlicky could be grabbed from Nashville if they resign Timonen to a big deal and have a huge crop of great young D.
This is exactly what I have been preaching, sign a player or two that would make other players expendable. Example, if we sign Briere or Drury to a 3+ year deal then we can trade Horcoff and Greene to Chicago for Seabrook, or a trade similar to that. If we sign Hartnell then we trade Torres ++ for Pitkanen.

If we can sign a player or two to solidify our forwards or defense then we can trade one or two young solid players to make our team better, get Redden on draft day or something like that.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:58 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
This is exactly what I have been preaching, sign a player or two that would make other players expendable. Example, if we sign Briere or Drury to a 3+ year deal then we can trade Horcoff and Greene to Chicago for Seabrook, or a trade similar to that. If we sign Hartnell then we trade Torres ++ for Pitkanen.

If we can sign a player or two to solidify our forwards or defense then we can trade one or two young solid players to make our team better, get Redden on draft day or something like that.
Agreed, although Pitkanen is going no where and I really don't want Redden. He has really struggled this year and only has one year left on his contract. Zidlicky is the guy I would target.

Old
03-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikcotyck View Post
I did not know we went after Chara at 7M - where did you find that out? Did Lowe say it or was it some "leak"?
A little of both. I think I remember someone on the Team asking Howson if it was true that we made an offer around 7 mill and he seemed to confirm it.

Though I understand at least a dozen teams made similar offers haha.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
RustyPatenaude

I want Hejda re-signed and for the Oilers to target Daryl Sydor as an affordable, veteran, good puck-handling defenseman UFA to pair with Matt Greene or Roy or Gilbert.

The better RFA/UFA defensemen become available after next season. I would rather the Oilers keep their powder dry and wait

RustyPatenaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Digger12

From TSN's latest Ice Chips:

"The Senators appear on the verge of finalizing a new deal for defenceman Chris Phillips that would pay him between $3.5 and $4 million U.S. a year."

We might have to cross Phillips off our wish list, at least in terms of bagging him as a UFA.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Soundwave

That's a pretty reasonable deal.

I would take Preissing at $3 mill/year and then try and acquire Seabrook or if we are dealing with Florida, try and grab Van Ryn in a package (Bouweemester is not realistic IMO).

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyP View Post
I want Hejda re-signed and for the Oilers to target Daryl Sydor as an affordable, veteran, good puck-handling defenseman UFA to pair with Matt Greene or Roy or Gilbert.

The better RFA/UFA defensemen become available after next season. I would rather the Oilers keep their powder dry and wait
The UFA crop for the following year is much better in all areas, not just defence.

Heatley, Iginla, Demitra, Thornton, Marleau, Sundin (unless the Leafs don't pick up his option this year), and Hossa are all UFAs after next year.

For defencemen, Regehr, Zubov, Lidstrom, D.Markov, Foote, Redden, and Boyle seem to be the cream of the crop.

Granted, many of those players will stay with their current teams, but that's still a pretty impressive free agent class, and far superior to this year's.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Scrodo Baggins

Redden's price will probably come down after a lack-lustre season. Myabe a fresh start in Edmonton would be good for him.

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:53 PM
alanschu

Timonen is the defenseman that I would like as well.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Scrodo Baggins

What is Jovo's contract like? Am I way off base?

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Matts

Nice to see a GM getting things done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
From TSN's latest Ice Chips:

"The Senators appear on the verge of finalizing a new deal for defenceman Chris Phillips that would pay him between $3.5 and $4 million U.S. a year."

We might have to cross Phillips off our wish list, at least in terms of bagging him as a UFA.
and GASP...even while being under the gun

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
What about an owner who is willing to spend money?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote