HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Brewer standard

Old
03-05-2007, 09:33 AM
okgooil

vCash: 500
The Brewer standard

I am surprised with all the talk of UFA, it doesn't seem to be focused on D men. to me it should be, just wondering what you think some of these guys will go for. With Brew suddenly getting 4.25, the prices could get our of control, which again rubs in how much we miss pronger, he was a steal at 6 mill. I liked to think souray, timmonen, raflaski's, were 5-6 mill guys, now I am starting to wonder if they are 6-7 mill guys. Getting one could pretty much eat up all our speding, then we lose our forward depth.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:46 AM
eastcoasteh

I agree, I'd rather see us solidify our D.

I'd also like to see us deal some of these "assets" (picks and prospects) to get some forwards.

I'm hoping our rebuild time is short. I want back in the playoffs next year.

We can't possibly be thinking of icing a team next year which includes some of JFJ/MAP/Thoresen/Petersen/Nilsson/Shremp/Stortini up front and some ove Greene/Roy/Gilbert/Chorney/Syvret on the back end. That's just too many rookies/sophs to compete.

Im' all for developing talent, but we can't afford to waste away the good years of Hemsky/Torres/Stoll/Pisani/Moreau/Staios/Smith as we wait for these guys to develop.

We need to add 2-dmen and at least one impact forward.

What's Scott hannan's status?

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post

Im' all for developing talent, but we can't afford to waste away the good years of Hemsky/Torres/Stoll/Pisani/Moreau/Staios/Smith as we wait for these guys to develop.

We need to add 2-dmen and at least one impact forward.

What's Scott hannan's status?
The guy the we really don't want to waste is Roli, it is a shame he isn't in the playoffs this year, he is a vet who hasn't won a cup, you know he will step it up come playoffs times.

I think we really just need one impact D man, after that, Smith, stios and Smid can handle top 4. I really feel we need a PP quarter back type, the three that really stick out are Sourey, Timmonen and Rafalski. Perhaps we can get one of those and just get Sykoara back?? He might actually take a home town discount.

I don't know why any one mentions HAnnan, he is good, but we already have 2 in stios and SMith, we need a puck mover.

ps, it would be great if we could spent 5-6 mill on one of these guys, grab a foward or two like sykora or york, all UFA, then we could keep our huge stock pile of talent.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:44 AM
oil slick

markov is the guy I would love to have on the Oilers... add Markov, and I think this transforms the team. 24 minute a night, 2 way player... exactly what the Oilers need.

If he's not attainable, I guess Timmonen would be my second choice.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Backhand

I skimmed through the FA defenceman earlier and nothing really jumps out at me. There are a couple gooders (Timmonen, Markov, Phillips) but they are #2 guys that will get #1 money. No homeruns on the open market. I'd rather Lowe traded for a defenceman and sign a forward, more of them out there so less competition driving up prices

Backhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
eastcoasteh

We are goig to have to trade to bring anyone here. It's a fact of life with the Oilers now as many UFA's could get teh same money in other places, so why would htey come to EDM? Trade for 'em and hope you can sign 'em long-term.

So I wouldn't be looking at too many top-line UFA's. We're more likely to sign 1 or two 2nd-tier ones and make a trade for others.

I wouldn't rule out a few offer sheets to RFA's this summer either. I think Kessler was the precedent.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Smokin' Ray

I too have wondered why we never got that dman we so need. Like why did we get 2 forwards in the Smyth deal? Not one dman? I don't understand what KLowe is thinking sometimes...

Smokin' Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:51 PM
reckless_abandon

Lowe was thinking why trade for a d-man when he has a stud in Grebeshkov.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:55 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Ray View Post
I too have wondered why we never got that dman we so need. Like why did we get 2 forwards in the Smyth deal? Not one dman? I don't understand what KLowe is thinking sometimes...
Considering that Lowe was dealing for prospects, does he really need another dman?

Greene, Smid and Hejda are all rookies and taking a regular spot in the line up.

Gilbert appears to be very close to NHL ready, the new Russian guy is apparently ready to step in next year.

And then you Chorney and Syvret also waiting in the wings.

The last thing Lowe needed was another prospect for the blueline. He needs an established NHLer for the blueline and a good one at that.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:06 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Considering that Lowe was dealing for prospects, does he really need another dman?

Greene, Smid and Hejda are all rookies and taking a regular spot in the line up.

Gilbert appears to be very close to NHL ready, the new Russian guy is apparently ready to step in next year.

And then you Chorney and Syvret also waiting in the wings.

The last thing Lowe needed was another prospect for the blueline. He needs an established NHLer for the blueline and a good one at that.
I'd have to agree. This team is going to be made or broken, largely, on the evolution of its young defense corps. This is a growing pain year, and to succeed we'll need Smid, Greene, and to a lesser extent Gilbert, Roy or Grebeshkov to continue to make progress at the NHL level as soon as next year.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote