Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
I want a guy who has skill and speed. not another gritty forward
Robbie Fabbri is all three

Old
04-16-2014, 10:03 PM
GinoLucia2217
Great Plains

vCash: 328
I want a guy with skill but who works hard. I don't care if he plays the gritty game along with it, I would just like him to work his *** off in the games practices and offseason

Old
04-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Keke

vCash: 500
USA-Switzerland starting now in Fasthockey. USA's games are for free and I am so pumped to see Eichel and Hanifin not to mention to see if Larkin is worth our hype.

Old
04-17-2014, 09:48 AM
PuckInTheNards

Hope we can snag a good player with the 30th overall.

Old
04-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
Hope we can snag a good player with the 30th overall.
Impossible, the Devils got that pick back from the NHL

Old
04-19-2014, 12:32 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circulartheory View Post
Robbie Fabbri is all three
I actually looked him up before I saw this. And the kid can play, the only thing that might hinder him is his size. but other than that, he has a lot of skill.

Old
04-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Keke

Oh boy was Fiala amazing against Finland.

Old
04-19-2014, 07:06 PM
GinoLucia2217
Great Plains

I want another rooski to compliment Bryz

Old
04-21-2014, 01:53 PM
DANOZ28

a few posts back somebody wanted an updated ranking, heres iss http://www.isshockey.com/

Old
04-23-2014, 06:47 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

U18 update:

pastrnak has 5 assists in 4 games I believe
milano has 2 goals and 4 assists in 4 games

Old
04-27-2014, 07:26 PM
tyratoku

Dylan Larkin had a pretty bawssy U-18 tournament. 2+2 in six games playing as the second line center behind Eichel, with some powerplay time. 24 Shots on goal, second on the team behind Eichel. Shooting at ~8.5% pretty much guarantees he was playing without much luck.

Some recent quotes:
Quote:
"He's probably one of the best skaters we've had come through in a long time but he's also diligent; he's interested in his defensive zone. He wants to be a Steve Yzerman-type player."

"He has the offence, can score and skate, but he's also learned the little subtleties needed to play the center position. He's taken an unbelievable mature approach; kind of an NHL-repertoire approach to practices and games. He's training to be really good at it and his progress has been great."

- USNDTP Head Coach Danton Cole
Quote:
"He skates well and has great closing speed, uses his body well. He has skill, but is not afraid of using physical play for puck possession. He has good vision and playmaking."

- David Gregory(NHL CSS Scout
Probably my #1 most wanted player outside of the top-5.

Oh, and I asked Pronman about it. He decided to get snarky with it
Quote:
How good of a fit is Larkin to Minnesota Wild?
Quote:
Corey Pronman
He's a Michigan commit so work that out with your soul.

Old
04-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Pronman's response.

Old
04-28-2014, 07:12 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Super excited! Can't really go wrong with any of these picks: Pastrnak, Fiala, Milano, Larkin, Fabbri!

Old
04-28-2014, 10:37 AM
GinoLucia2217
Great Plains

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Dylan Larkin had a pretty bawssy U-18 tournament. 2+2 in six games playing as the second line center behind Eichel, with some powerplay time. 24 Shots on goal, second on the team behind Eichel. Shooting at ~8.5% pretty much guarantees he was playing without much luck.

Some recent quotes:

Probably my #1 most wanted player outside of the top-5.

Oh, and I asked Pronman about it. He decided to get snarky with it
We lack depth at center, but is it necessary to get another top cente prospect when we already have Koivu Granlund and Haula?

Old
04-28-2014, 10:46 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoLucia2217 View Post
We lack depth at center, but is it necessary to get another top cente prospect when we already have Koivu Granlund and Haula?
You can't have too many centers.

Old
04-28-2014, 10:58 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Doesn't matter what position the soon-to-be-drafted plays if he's the best player available.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
You can't have too many centers.
This.

The flexibility to also play center only makes him a more desirable prospect, from my view. Plus, Larkin has seen time at LW as well, so we'd really be looking at a top 6 forward with great position flexibility.

I think someone made the Kesler comparison earlier in this thread. I want.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Doesn't matter what position the soon-to-be-drafted plays if he's the best player available.
I feel I have to argue against the BPA thinking: look, I understand the logic and it makes sense, but in reality, when you are around #20 pick, the BPA is no longer clear cut.

You now have a BTA, as in, Best Tier Available. I mean, what seperates a guy like Sonny Milano to Alex Tuch? Milano has better one-on-one skills but Tuch is more physically imposing. They both have strengths and weaknesses that counteract each other, and what you are left with is 2 prospects that you would EQUALLY want on your team.

At that point, position starts coming into play. What does the team's prospect pool (not pro roster) need?

In our case, we need an offensive winger who can generate offense.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:22 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
I feel I have to argue against the BPA thinking: look, I understand the logic and it makes sense, but in reality, when you are around #20 pick, the BPA is no longer clear cut.

You now have a BTA, as in, Best Tier Available. I mean, what seperates a guy like Sonny Milano to Alex Tuch? Milano has better one-on-one skills but Tuch is more physically imposing. They both have strengths and weaknesses that counteract each other, and what you are left with is 2 prospects that you would EQUALLY want on your team.

At that point, position starts coming into play. What does the team's prospect pool (not pro roster) need?

In our case, we need an offensive winger who can generate offense.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree wrong with the bolded. Flahr and company may turn out to be wrong, but they will have a list that they believe in. Everything you listed is obviously used in determining who is the "BPA", but using your example, I can guarantee that come draft day, Flahr will absolutely know who he would prefer between Milano, or Tuch.

The tier system you're talking about is used more so for determining the value of trading up/down.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Sorry, but I strongly disagree wrong with the bolded. Flahr and company may turn out to be wrong, but they will have a list that they believe in. Everything you listed is obviously used in determining who is the "BPA", but using your example, I can guarantee that come draft day, Flahr will absolutely know who he would prefer between Milano, or Tuch.

The tier system you're talking about is used more so for determining the value of trading up/down.
Oh, I agree they will have a list. And I agree, they will know on draft day who they will pick.

But I also think that final list is a mixture of BPA and team needs all factored into a nice, concise list. Obviously, BPA is the bigger factor but position does play a factor.

My example was not suggesting on draft day, they will not be sure who they want. My example was suggesting that on the day before where all the scouts are debating who is number 19 and who is number 20, if both players are equally good like with Milano and Tuch, then needs will factor in, and have Milano at 19 and Tuch at 20 (just examples).

Old
04-28-2014, 12:54 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Oh, I agree they will have a list. And I agree, they will know on draft day who they will pick.

But I also think that final list is a mixture of BPA and team needs all factored into a nice, concise list. Obviously, BPA is the bigger factor but position does play a factor.

My example was not suggesting on draft day, they will not be sure who they want. My example was suggesting that on the day before where all the scouts are debating who is number 19 and who is number 20, if both players are equally good like with Milano and Tuch, then needs will factor in, and have Milano at 19 and Tuch at 20 (just examples).

I agree with alot of what you're saying but am confused by your idea of BPA.

There is no BPA list made before everything is considered. It's not like they are handed a list that has Milano ranked ahead of Tuch, but they change it because they would rather have a power forward. Flahr and company make the list using any and all information they can obtain.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:57 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:

That's when you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses, measure their comptetiveness and work ethic, look at their overall nature as human beings and finally take your chance on the guy who has the ingredients to become the best NHL player out of the available draftees. Ofcourse you have to calculate their propability to become the player he is projected as.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
That's when you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses, measure their comptetiveness and work ethic, look at their overall nature as human beings and finally take your chance on the guy who has the ingredients to become the best NHL player out of the available draftees. Ofcourse you have to calculate their propability to become the player he is projected as.
Yes, but these terms you used made it sound scientific, when they barely any scientific measurements actually used in scouting. You can evaluate strengths and weaknesses and talk all year long, but different scouts are going to have different opinions.

Another good example would be Shea Theodore vs Curtis Lazar. How do you pick one over another? I personally had Theodore over Lazar because of his ultimate upside but I have total understanding someone like Lazar's safer build for the NHL. And no one can say either team is wrong for taking either!

Point is, there is going to be arguments flying from both directions by the time you hit the mid. You are going to get 5-10 prospects are possible picks in your area and all with good reasons to be picked at #20 and not clear line to separate the two, its going to be a very gray line. Thats when factors outside of pure talent comes in such as personal preference (do you prefer a safer or home-run prospects), depth of your team (does your team need to good bet for an NHLer or does it have the depth to take a gamble), and positional needs (e.g I have Granlund, Coyle, Haula, Phillips, could we use a winger instead?).

Just to clarify, I am not saying just because we have alot centers means we should ignore center prospects. Not at all. What I am saying is, when there is a tie-breaker (and there will be around #20ish areas), you need a factor to finally break the straw, why not position, preference and team depth make that final cut? Otherwise, what will?

Closed Thread