Mikko Koivu [Mod Warning Post #678]

Old
04-11-2014, 08:34 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Even James Sheppard is better at goal scoring than Koivu. I'd like to see Granlund first line and Haula second. Haula isn't fast by any stretch but he's shifty. I'd say if he turns out to be a twenty-twenty second line center that would be awesome.

Koivu gets a lot of assists because he's on the too line and PP. Granlund wasn't that far off and he got bounced around a lot.
You are FAR too infatuated with goal scoring.

Not all players are goal scorers, but scoring goals is not the only offensive contribution. CREATING scoring chances is something Koivu does well due to his size and well rounded skillset. He's a better fit for the 2nd line than Haula is as a result.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
PuckInTheNards

vCash: 500
I'll never understand the vitriol against Koivu. The guy is the heart and soul of the team. As Russo put it a couple of years ago... The Engine. You can question his goal scoring, his speed, whatever, but the guy is a warrior.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Going to post this here again because people seem to keep needing reminders:

1. Be respectful of the other posters.

2. If you disagree with someone you have three options:

A. Write an intelligent and respectful counterargument.

B. If you feel the post violates site rules, hit the report button (the little yield symbol down there) and let a moderator deal with it.

C. Ignore it and move on.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 05:24 AM
Tough jerky

What I can't understand is that some of you are not okay with 2,83 million 4th line center but it's perfectly okay to have 6,75 million 3rd line center (and one who is currently our highest point producing ceterman). A bit of off topic but anyway.

Tough jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 05:29 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough jerky View Post
What I can't understand is that some of you are not okay with 2,83 million 4th line center but it's perfectly okay to have 6,75 million 3rd line center (and one who is currently our highest point producing ceterman). A bit of off topic but anyway.
No... we're not ok with that. The people wanting Koivu moved down are an EXTREME but very vocal MINORITY!

Most everyone knows and WANTS Koivu to remain in the top 6 where he belongs.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 05:34 AM
Tough jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
No... we're not ok with that. The people wanting Koivu moved down are an EXTREME but very vocal MINORITY!

Most everyone knows and WANTS Koivu to remain in the top 6 where he belongs.
Hence the some of you. In my opinion if Koivu isn't in the top 6 then we should look at moving him, I just can't see how it would be sustainable to have 3rd liner earning near 7 million for four more seasons.

Tough jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Even James Sheppard is better at goal scoring than Koivu. I'd like to see Granlund first line and Haula second. Haula isn't fast by any stretch but he's shifty. I'd say if he turns out to be a twenty-twenty second line center that would be awesome.

Koivu gets a lot of assists because he's on the too line and PP. Granlund wasn't that far off and he got bounced around a lot.
Malone, is that you?

04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

vCash: 3385
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...es-playoff-run

Quote:
Koivu became a father to a baby girl just before the season started. For the first time in his life, he is having thoughts about life beyond hockey. He isn't thinking about retirement — "I'm not that old," he said, laughing — but understands he won't be a pro hockey player forever.

"Before, you just went year by year and got ready for the next one," Koivu said. "But now it's something you think about. At the same time, you enjoy it even more. When you realize it goes so fast, you enjoy every single moment."

Koivu is playing some of his best hockey, and the Wild will bring a 6-1-1 hot streak into the playoffs, the lone loss a 7-3 setback to Nashville in a meaningless regular-season finale Sunday. Since March 18, Koivu leads the league with 14 assists in 14 games and has added three goals, a remarkable comeback from January, when he had surgery to repair a fractured ankle.
Kaptain.

Digitalbooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 01:34 PM
NHLPodium

vCash: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Clearly it must matter to Koivu, otherwise they wouldn't have given it to him. And what would be the effect of removing it? I'd guess he would want a trade. Then what? Now we're back to "is the team better off without Koivu". It's not.
If he would want a trade after being stripped of the C (which he definitely would), then yes, the team is better without a player who cares more about himself instead of what is best for the team.

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Podgornik

We are just simply not better without Koivu. No way, no how. He'll perform in these playoffs, as will Parise, Pominville, Granlund, Coyle and Moulson. All guys who should perform will be lead by our Kaptain Koivu.

Podgornik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPodium View Post
If he would want a trade after being stripped of the C (which he definitely would), then yes, the team is better without a player who cares more about himself instead of what is best for the team.
Yeah Koivu just cares only about himself, isn't that just written on the night sky?

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 04:37 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPodium View Post
And then give the C to who exactly? Parise or Suter are the only guys I can think of that might be able to do what Koivu does. Pretty sure that both of those guys are only here because they cared more about themselves than their old teams.

So, you're still stuck with a "selfish" captain, but now you need to find a top 6 center as well.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 04:44 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

It's amazing the stuff that gets pulled out of thin air about Koivu.

Really.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 05:56 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Koivu did his best Cam Barker/pylon impression on three goals yesterday. Guys literally just passed by him like a Porsche on the autobahn. If we are to have any chance slowing down their first line, simply standing in the neutral zone won't get it done.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 07:08 PM
MNWILDFAN001

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Koivu did his best Cam Barker/pylon impression on three goals yesterday. Guys literally just passed by him like a Porsche on the autobahn. If we are to have any chance slowing down their first line, simply standing in the neutral zone won't get it done.
Look on the bright side. You got to see Koivu's famous defensive play 3 times. I call it the "I'm too slow to catch anyone so I'll just reach for the puck".

Last edited by MNWILDFAN001: 04-20-2014 at 07:32 PM.
MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 07:30 PM
oldweirdharold

Quote:
Some of that is on Yeo, he said he would instill a system of attacking their speed instead of backing up so much. Be more aggressive on the forecheck. I would say after the first goal, we played the stereotypical boring game people accuse us of.

oldweirdharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
That's not the mistake. The mistake already happened when MacKinnon gets to center ice with that much speed. I mean literally no player in the league can stop him in that situation. I don't know if it was a individual mistake or game plan mistake but that cannot happen.

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 10:51 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
That's not the mistake. The mistake already happened when MacKinnon gets to center ice with that much speed. I mean literally no player in the league can stop him in that situation. I don't know if it was a individual mistake or game plan mistake but that cannot happen.
There's some definite truth to this.

It wasn't just his standing there though either. Watch the goals again and you'll see Koivu's tenacious back check as well. After doing his best pylon, he does his best Ovechkin.

And to whoever said something about no complaining about Koivu over the last part of the season, you're right. There was generally little to complain about. But 10 games don't define your career or forever absolve you of criticism. Consistently performing at a high level does, however. And that's something Koivu has not ever done.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 09:35 AM
toewsintangibles

1,5 ppg not enough.. damn.

The real reason Minnesota is struggling is the complete lack of good defencemen outside of Suter

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 11:22 AM
teddy83

Koivu's reputation as a one of the best 2-way centers in the game is getting destroyed by a 18 year old rookie.....MacKinnon is very good but still.

teddy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Leads team in points (3 primary assists)
Tied for second in shots (8)
66% on the draw
One of four positive possession players 5v5

Yeah...he's not the problem.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Leads team in points (3 primary assists)
Tied for second in shots (8)
66% on the draw
One of four positive possession players 5v5

Yeah...he's not the problem.
Mikko's letting more goals in than he's scoring when he's on the ice is the problem. But, that is just about everyone's problem right now. At least he is evening it somewhat.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Tuomaz

I think it's clear that his injury still bugs him. Koivu rarely moves his feet and just glides over the ice. His TOI should be lower than Granlund and Haula's atm imo. I'm not even starting to complain about Koivu's place on that #1 pp.

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 09:21 PM
57special

vCash: 249
That's the exact same thing we said last year at this time.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 01:56 AM
toewsintangibles

The revenge of the Kaptain

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote