HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We must stand united

Old
03-05-2007, 05:01 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
What storm ? The Kovalev story ? I mean, sometimes I understand the medias bashing but, now, what have they done wrong ? Nothing. They just reported the story and a few journalists gave their opinion on it. I don't see the problem with that.
The Kovalev story, with questionable sources. Yes, the one they put out there for the sole reason of stiring stuff up since they have nothing to talk about till Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioroberge View Post
I think the real problem here is blogs. I noticed that the Kovalev fiasco started the same week WaffleDave wrote his first blog...is there a correlation?

....just think about it....
You got me! Dammit!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I might agree with that if Cube would have been playing badly before he was signed. But last year he was actually one of our best D-man. I don't think the media had much influence in his signing. Gainey's been around the Mtl media scene for years now, he showed that he wouldn't let the media intimidate him as a player, and I really can't see him letting the media intimidate him now.
He was not one of the best d-men, are you crazy?

He also had a long-term injury when he was signed!

Quote:
The medias have nothing to do with that. Bouillon is a popular player and that's why he got so much money.
Popular with who? The fans? The media? The team?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:02 PM
marioroberge

Boycott waffledave's blog!

Honestly, the real problem is that we make too much out of everything. La Presse knows they're going to stir the pot with this article and they want the fans to react. What do the fans do? They react thinking that they're the solution to everything when they're just as much a problem as the media and the team.

Get over it! The players don't care. They don't. That includes the captain and everyone else. The only 2 guys I see trying out there are Streit and Plekanec. You can see from his hustle that Streit is a million times the leader Koivu is. You can see this guy cares and wants to win. Give him a better skillset and he'd be untouchable. s for Plekanec...you know you're not doing well when he's your best player.

I can see the pregame talks in opposing teams' locker rooms:

Coach: Alright, I need you to cover Tomas Plekanec, I think I pronounced it right.
Players: Tomas who?
Coach: I don't know. It says here he's number 35. You can read more about him on his personal blog at www.plekanec.cz .

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:08 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The Kovalev story, with questionable sources. Yes, the one they put out there for the sole reason of stiring stuff up since they have nothing to talk about till Thursday.
They stated the facts. When I read the newspaper this morning I saw they told us all the story and they even questionned the credibility of the sources.

Nothing to talk about ? That's an interesting news if you ask me. They even translated the article since they wanted to be sure of the content.

Quote:
Popular with who? The fans? The media? The team?
By the fans.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
I understand your frustration and everything, but since when is it the media's job to nurture the well being of the team and help them in their performances? Isn't this the management's job as well as the player's themselves?

And about giving them a standing ovation... Yes Kovalev sure as hell deserves one, he's really had one hell of a season. Jesus.
It's the media's job to make the reader happy. They don't have to and sometimes the truth is not warm and fuzzy. But, the beauty of being the "consumer" is you can choose what to buy and what to boycott and what can they do about it? Nothing!

Also, there's a difference between finding a negative story and pouring petrol on the fire of a negative story. La Presse recently reported that Chippy is no good and BOb is going to trade him - WHAT IS THAT?

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
They stated the facts. When I read the newspaper this morning I saw they told us all the story and they even questionned the credibility of the sources.

Nothing to talk about ? That's an interesting news if you ask me. They even translated the article since they wanted to be sure of the content.
You don't publish an article like that without being sure of the credibility of the claim. What if I published an article about Brunet being a heavy cocaine addict? I back it up by some dude I met, he's a 20 year vet of reading sports news.

They knew the article was BUNK. They still published it so they could start this ****storm up. They LOVE this stuff. When you don't have news to talk about, you can create some news for yourself.

Quote:
By the fans.
I thought that Gainey doesn't care what anyone thinks?

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Burnside_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
It's the media's job to make the reader happy. They don't have to and sometimes the truth is not warm and fuzzy. But, the beauty of being the "consumer" is you can choose what to buy and what to boycott and what can they do about it? Nothing!

Also, there's a difference between finding a negative story and pouring petrol on the fire of a negative story. La Presse recently reported that Chippy is no good and BOb is going to trade him - WHAT IS THAT?
Get your point, never said the opposite. But still it's weird how people now seem to associate the state of team as a direct consequence of the media's content instead of questionning the people who take the decisions.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
I understand your frustration and everything, but since when is it the media's job to nurture the well being of the team and help them in their performances? Isn't this the management's job as well as the player's themselves?

And about giving them a standing ovation... Yes Kovalev sure as hell deserves one, he's really had one hell of a season. Jesus.
It is support against the media... hello? Not for the season of course.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Burnside_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
It is support against the media... hello? Not for the season of course.
Even then, why on heart does he deserves an ovation? Did anyone ovationnate Theo, Brisebois, Malakhov, Reggie houle or Mario Tremblay (who got more bashing than other coach in history in the press, deservedly so)? Why would he need our support? Geez it's not like its a tragedy of some sort.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

Old
03-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
Get your point, never said the opposite. But still it's weird how people now seem to associate the state of team as a direct consequence of the media's content instead of questionning the people who take the decisions.
I know, I'm just steaming mad about it. 95% of the time they get it right. I just hate the sensational papparazi 5%

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:32 PM
tiredman

Quote:
You don't publish an article like that without being sure of the credibility of the claim. What if I published an article about Brunet being a heavy cocaine addict? I back it up by some dude I met, he's a 20 year vet of reading sports news.

They knew the article was BUNK. They still published it so they could start this ****storm up. They LOVE this stuff. When you don't have news to talk about, you can create some news for yourself.
Well, it's not something the local medias created. If you have to blame someone blame the russian site. The local medias stated their sources and told us all the story. If they told us that Kovalev said all these thing without mentionning the sources and questionning their credibility, I would have said that they didn't do their job well but that's not the case.

About for your comparaison with your Brunet being a cocaine addict. I would have no problem if you written it. As long as you state facts (which is what the local medias did) and question yourself about the credibility of the source (which is what local medias did).

Quote:
That's what you think. I think he does.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Burnside_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
I know, I'm just steaming mad about it. 95% of the time they get it right. I just hate the sensational papparazi 5%
Yeah, I understand what you mean, it is furstrating indeed but some of the reactions around here are as abusrd as ever.

Old
03-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
If he does not listen to anyone, why blame the grrrrrrrrreat Bob "the Savior" Gainey then?

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Even then, why on heart does he deserves an ovation? Did anyone ovationnate Theo, Brisebois, Malakhov, Reggie houle or Mario Tremblay (who got more bashing than other coach in history in the press, deservedly so)? Why would he need our support? Geez it's not like its a tragedy of some sort.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.
It's a mean to reverse the negativity of the media, and try to transform a negative event into a positive one and boast the energy of the team for a playoff rally.

At the end, the media will walk with their tail between their legs, and hopefully the team will rally for the playoffs.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
This is said alot, but it's not always true. There's a reason Boullion got so much money. He knew, negotiating his contract, that Gainey would have no choice but to keep him, largely because the media put so much pressure on the team to sign him.
Sure, he saw how Gainey caved in to Théodore's demands. Now he's in the position of making too much for a 6th or 7th (or 8th) Dman. I wish Gainey could cut him without buying him out.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I might agree with that if Cube would have been playing badly before he was signed. But last year he was actually one of our best D-man. I don't think the media had much influence in his signing. Gainey's been around the Mtl media scene for years now, he showed that he wouldn't let the media intimidate him as a player, and I really can't see him letting the media intimidate him now.
last year bouillon was also one of our worst dman. every knew we overpaid as soon as we heard of the deal.

the only time bouillon was good was in 2004 when julien knew how to use him. ie bottom pairing with limited minutes.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:45 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Go Habs Go!

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
They might be right. The jury is still out for Chip.
No more than it's out on, say, Kostitsyn, Price, or any other prospect in the organization, however.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
last year bouillon was also one of our worst dman. every knew we overpaid as soon as we heard of the deal.

the only time bouillon was good was in 2004 when julien knew how to use him. ie bottom pairing with limited minutes.
Sorry I'm old...mental block, I confused my years.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yer not the ocean.. yer not even close.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Quiet Robert

This is what Carbo is going to tell the boys.

We will stand together and win together.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Haddock

Ya'll need a chill pill. Do like Gainey and ignore the media once in a while. And stop caring so damn much for a hockey team.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
This is what Carbo is going to tell the boys.

We will stand together and win together.
Love that speech. Problem is after a few inches this team usually crumbles apart. The price is easy to pay when you're filled with adrenaline; it's when the lactic acid makes it than you can't even breathe and you're fighting for the puck than the inches matter. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Demogod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
Gainey doesn't give a crap about the journalists and their childish stuff
He would have traded Souray if you were right.

Demogod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Definitely fed up with those who bash Gainey... one bad move or 2 and you bash him. When he does something it is in the best interest for the team either short term or long term. United! the only way.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:53 PM
paddy

This is probably the best thing that could've happened to this hockey club:

- Kovalev is not guilty of this hoax so the haters don't get his head (they may still have though...)
- The media gets bashed and loses credibility in the public's eye.
- Although not said by Kovalev, most of the things said in the article do make sense and will highlight some things to everyone. Fans, media, and players will be more conscious of these things and there will be more scrutiny about these issues (defensive system, hometown favoritism, ethnicity, unfair treatment towards certain). Hopefully, what this will do is prevent these issues from becoming true if they're not.

This soap opera is actually good for the team. Forces everyone, coaches, players, fans and journalists to do a little bit of introspection.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote