HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What is this..."composite"...of which you speak?

Old
04-21-2014, 02:07 PM
aguynamedjoe

vCash: 500
What is this..."composite"...of which you speak?

Looking for some advice here. I'm a very recreational player here - I play maybe every other week, and am considering summer league as my first ever organized league. Grew up on woodies all my life, just picked up a clearance composite stick to try out this stuff everyone raves about. First impression was that I'll never actually catch a pass again...meh, I play at the bottom dredges of the beer league, nobody catches passes consistently, I'll get over it. What does bother me though is that my wrist shot is completely out of control. Not to say that it was ever anything anyone would call "intimidating," "impressive," or even "mediocre"...but at least I was comfortable knowing that I could, every now and then, snap one pretty close to the general direction I was aiming with a modest amount of zip whenever/wherever I was carrying the puck around my body. At this point, any time I try and get a quick release with this composite stick (an inexpensive warrior, 85 flex but cut down close to 4" off the top) the blade isn't keeping up with my hands, and the puck is coming off weak, high, and right (like a bad golf slice).

I feel like this is one of three issues, but if anyone can confirm/deny that and point me in the right direction I'd love some feedback. Either:

A) Comps require different timing and mechanics that, even on wristers that don't require loading the stick, render my previous experience with (much stiffer) wood worthless, and I have to completely change the way I think/feel when shooting the puck

B) The stick is too flexible for the shot I want, and if this is the main focal point of my game I should get a stiffer stick - understanding that this will sacrifice velocity on snap/slap shots (is this even true? I haven't been able to find anything about stiffer flex providing more control at the expense of power - even though it makes sense to me and translates from other sports as well)

C) Inexpensive composite tends to have more issues with "torque flex" and I need to spend more money on a better stick to avoid the problem I'm having, but still use a stick that will flex when loaded to keep power on the other styles of shots

D) I'm just an idiot, and it's something completely different (before we go on the idiot route - yes, I'm a blackhawks fan, and no I don't think the Seabrook hit was clean)

aguynamedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 02:51 PM
MattGTI

Whats your height(and weight)?

How cheap of a Warrior stick are we talking?

Do you feel you had the basic mechanics down of taking a shot prior to switching over to a composite stick, whether your shot was good or bad, weak or strong?

Last edited by MattGTI: 04-21-2014 at 03:12 PM.
MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 02:54 PM
bigsick

Composite sticks have different kick points. Try a bauer supreme or nexus stick for a kick point that would be similar to a wood stick.

Also usually cheaper sticks have cheaper blades which feel more pingy.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 04:02 PM
aguynamedjoe

Whats your height(and weight)?

5' 8", 175. Rather strong and topheavy for my size, former wrestler and the build remained
*** edit *** it's a 2011 dolomite dd grip

How cheap of a Warrior stick are we talking?

It was one of the H. Monkey's mystery sticks, I believe it was in the ballpark of $100 at new retail pricing

Do you feel you had the basic mechanics down of taking a shot prior to switching over to a composite stick, whether your shot was good or bad, weak or strong?

I've only played on the ponds, never organized or with a coach, so I honestly can't say anything about my mechanics. I felt like with the wood stick, I was able to have the puck mid/toe and snap my wrists and get some decent velocity and control. I never had a slap or even snap shot with it

Last edited by aguynamedjoe: 04-21-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old
04-21-2014, 05:09 PM
aguynamedjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsick View Post
Composite sticks have different kick points. Try a bauer supreme or nexus stick for a kick point that would be similar to a wood stick.

Also usually cheaper sticks have cheaper blades which feel more pingy.
Definitely noticed the ping. The only time I've managed to handle a pass in stride and keep it on my blade was when it was nearly ready to come to a stop as it was arriving anyway. Fortunately there's no such thing as a "bang bang pass" play at our level, so I still have plenty time to get the feel down before it's an issue, but it's definitely going to take some time

Old
04-22-2014, 05:05 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedjoe View Post
*** edit *** it's a 2011 dolomite dd grip[/b]
It's a good stick, higher end stick back in 2011. Unless there's too much flex, most likely it takes some time to get use to. The Warriors are a bit pingy compared to the wood, but over time you'll get use to it. Do you feel it flexing when passing or just when you lean in to it? Unless its and int or jr, I doubt it's too flexy. Also only reason a stiffer stick affects your velocity on any shot is due to the fact you can no longer flex the stick, if you can flex the stiffer flex, it will improve snap and slap shots.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 06:04 PM
aguynamedjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
It's a good stick, higher end stick back in 2011. Unless there's too much flex, most likely it takes some time to get use to. The Warriors are a bit pingy compared to the wood, but over time you'll get use to it. Do you feel it flexing when passing or just when you lean in to it? Unless its and int or jr, I doubt it's too flexy. Also only reason a stiffer stick affects your velocity on any shot is due to the fact you can no longer flex the stick, if you can flex the stiffer flex, it will improve snap and slap shots.
Turns out it is a 75 flex after looking again, but I have cut it down quite a bit. The flex doesn't seem excessive when I'm passing, but I don't really get much zip on my passes anyway - I just noiced this on wristers when it feels like the puck on the blade is not keeping up with my hands. I noticed after I compared it to the old woody that the curve is much more open and toward the heel than my old one, so I'm thinking that might play a role too. I have another stick I'm going to try to test out that theory - it's nearly a polar opposite - a ccm U+ CL prostock Burns, it's a 110 flex (which was why I didn't even try it at first, from what I hear that stiffness will be far beyond what I can take advantage of), but I'm going to test it out next time on the ice to see if that (the blade curve) may have been the culprit...

Old
04-23-2014, 11:35 AM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedjoe View Post
Turns out it is a 75 flex after looking again, but I have cut it down quite a bit. The flex doesn't seem excessive when I'm passing, but I don't really get much zip on my passes anyway - I just noiced this on wristers when it feels like the puck on the blade is not keeping up with my hands. I noticed after I compared it to the old woody that the curve is much more open and toward the heel than my old one, so I'm thinking that might play a role too. I have another stick I'm going to try to test out that theory - it's nearly a polar opposite - a ccm U+ CL prostock Burns, it's a 110 flex (which was why I didn't even try it at first, from what I hear that stiffness will be far beyond what I can take advantage of), but I'm going to test it out next time on the ice to see if that (the blade curve) may have been the culprit...
I see, yeah that doesn't sound too whippy for your weight, especially if it's cut down. I'm not sure what you mean by puck not keeping up with your hands, the flex or bow action is pretty quick, even it's too flexy the stick flex should keep up with the puck. It would be slower than a stiffer stick though. Maybe the curve difference is throwing you off, I guess only you would have the best idea what's going on there. Remember you don't need to always use your whole body weight to lean in to a shot, the whippier stick allows loading of the stick from different shooting positions. At the end of the day, you need to experiment and find the right flex, flex point, curve, blade for you.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote