HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Shayne Gostisbehere (signed ELC, terms in OP; debuted with Phantoms Apr. 19)

Old
04-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Alt might be ready for prime time next season would be nice to see a few make the jump.
I wonder if it would be better for Alt and Hagg to play a full year together to develop chemistry then come up as a pair the following year. I think those guys have future shutdown 2nd pair potential.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I wonder if it would be better for Alt and Hagg to play a full year together to develop chemistry then come up as a pair the following year. I think those guys have future shutdown 2nd pair potential.
You expect growing pains with young guys, so a pairing of two rookies might actually me less ideal (imo, of course), then letting one guy learn from a veteran, then perhaps help teach the next guy. If the Flyers were truly rebuilding, it would probably work to just get it over with, but given the desire to stay competitive, I think it makes sense to stagger.

Also, in two seasons you have to expect that Morin is also getting int he conversation, so it make sense to start someone that we think is ready (like Alt) next season, then bring in Ghost, Hagg and Morin staggered based on growth.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
You expect growing pains with young guys, so a pairing of two rookies might actually me less ideal (imo, of course), then letting one guy learn from a veteran, then perhaps help teach the next guy. If the Flyers were truly rebuilding, it would probably work to just get it over with, but given the desire to stay competitive, I think it makes sense to stagger.

Also, in two seasons you have to expect that Morin is also getting int he conversation, so it make sense to start someone that we think is ready (like Alt) next season, then bring in Ghost, Hagg and Morin staggered based on growth.
I think staggering is good as well but Washington had some success letting Alzner and Carlson develop some chemistry together in the minors for 40+ games and then pairing them the next year at the NHL level. By the end of the season, they were the Capitals shutdown pair. There is no need to rush any of these guys so another half year to year in the minors playing together can only help.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 04:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think staggering is good as well but Washington had some success letting Alzner and Carlson develop some chemistry together in the minors for 40+ games and then pairing them the next year at the NHL level. By the end of the season, they were the Capitals shutdown pair. There is no need to rush any of these guys so another half year to year in the minors playing together can only help.
Yeah. On top of that, there just isn't room for all these guys to come up next season. Under contract we have Coburn, Schenn, Streit, and A-Mac who are 100% going to be here (barring anything huge), Grossmann who at this point is coming back (though he's most likely to be dealt out of the group), Gus (who is everyone's favorite player and people will burn down the Wells Fargo Center if he is not offered a contract), and Timonen who IMO is 50/50 on whether he is coming back. So that leaves at an absolute best two spots, but in all likelihood there will be one spot vacated by either Grossmann or Timonen (which means Gus will be #7 again and people will continue to whine).

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the young guys start the season on the roster. I think Ghost will likely be there based on the comments made by the organization and based on his play in the Frozen Four (and everything else he's done). I think the lineup looks like this:

Coburn-Streit
AMac-Schenn
Grossmann/Timonen-Ghost
Gus

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 04:40 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah. On top of that, there just isn't room for all these guys to come up next season. Under contract we have Coburn, Schenn, Streit, and A-Mac who are 100% going to be here (barring anything huge), Grossmann who at this point is coming back (though he's most likely to be dealt out of the group), Gus (who is everyone's favorite player and people will burn down the Wells Fargo Center if he is not offered a contract), and Timonen who IMO is 50/50 on whether he is coming back. So that leaves at an absolute best two spots, but in all likelihood there will be one spot vacated by either Grossmann or Timonen (which means Gus will be #7 again and people will continue to whine).

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the young guys start the season on the roster. I think Ghost will likely be there based on the comments made by the organization and based on his play in the Frozen Four (and everything else he's done). I think the lineup looks like this:

Coburn-Streit
AMac-Schenn
Grossmann/Timonen-Ghost
Gus
No one will "whine" if there isn't an inferior player ahead of them on the depth chart (Mez and Grossmann). I'm not sure why you still struggle with this reasoning. It's not because he's something special, just that he's better then some playing everyday or more.

Personally I'm next to positive Kimmo comes back next season.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 04:42 PM
healthyscratch

Sorry to derail Shayne's thread, but is Alt a serious prospect and what's his ceiling/eta?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 04:49 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Sorry to derail Shayne's thread, but is Alt a serious prospect and what's his ceiling/eta?
He's a former 2nd rounder and is only 22 (23 in Oct) and based on his recent play, I would say so.

He doesn't offer much in terms of offense (he's getting pp time in the AHL but won't at the next level) but he's got good size and can move really good for his size. I see him as 3rd pairing defensive d-man most likely but he's got the tools to be better (2nd pairing potential IMO).

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 05:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post

Coburn-Streit
AMac-Schenn
Grossmann/Timonen-Ghost
Gus
I'm thinking Timonen's back & one of Schenn or Grossmann along with Gus isn't back next year.

Timonen - Coburn
Streit - Grossmann/Schenn
MacDonald - XXX
XXX

That's just a rough outline of what I think we're possibly looking at.

I also think we'll see them try to work Lauridsen into the lineup some way, I'm not totally crazy about him but it seems like the Flyers like him more than the fans & his AHL eligibility is up along with him having his contract one way next year leads me to believe that they think he'll be ready for a role even it's a small 6/7 role.

So it could be Gostisbehere & Lauridsen filling out the 6 & 7 spots while they leave Alt in the minors to get more ice time while being first in line for a call up incase of an injury or something.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-21-2014 at 05:21 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm thinking Timonen's back & one of Schenn or Grossmann along with Gus isn't back next year.

Timonen - Coburn
MacDonald - XXX
XXX

I also think we'll see them try to work Lauridsen into the lineup some way, I'm not totally crazy about him but it seems like the Flyers like him more than the fans & his AHL eligibility is up along with him having his contract one way next year leads me to believe that they think he'll be ready for a role even it's a small 6/7 role.

So it could be Gostisbehere & Lauridsen filling out the 6 & 7 spots while they leave Alt in the minors to get more ice time while being first in line for a call up incase of an injury or something.
With an emphasis on ROUGH.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 05:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
With an emphasis on ROUGH.

Rome wasn't built in a day, hopefully after next year it starts to look better.

Old
04-21-2014, 05:49 PM

vCash: 50
So how was Ghost's debut?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Tedeward

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

Timonen - Coburn
MacDonald - XXX
XXX

I Would switch Timonen and AMac. I would love to have Kimmo take a prospect under his wing.

Tedeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 06:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedeward View Post
I Would switch Timonen and AMac. I would love to have Kimmo take a prospect under his wing.
That was just an outlook of what defensemen we could be rolling with next year not necessarily the exact pairings. I wasn't even thinking of pairings so I just used this years.