HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News From Around the League Part XLVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2014, 07:08 PM
  #276
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!
 
njdevils1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Might only be of interest to me, but several of the Western NHL clubs may be prepping to move their AHL affiliates to the West Coast for 2015-16.

If San Diego gets one, I'd imagine we'd be the Ducks affiliate. Certainly would be cool to get an AHL squad; I'm not sure how the schedule matrix works out and whether the East Coast teams would make an annual visit.
you would a couple here and there id guess but seeing the devils, your chances wouldnt be too good i imagine….for instance seeing the devils farm team play in toronto (a western conference team) happened in late 2011, they also played each other in albany.

in fact those 2 games are the only 2 between them going back to the 2006 season (of which they didnt play each other its just that the AHL site only has schedules listed from then onward)….they dont play each other that often…the AHL schedule is a wicked mess in my opinion.


Last edited by njdevils1982: 04-18-2014 at 07:25 PM.
njdevils1982 is offline  
Old
04-20-2014, 03:20 AM
  #277
Capt Brycey Poo
Holik to HHOF
 
Capt Brycey Poo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Is their GM....."smart", though?
oilers do have a history of making interesting trades..


Gretzky *cough* *cough*

Capt Brycey Poo is offline  
Old
04-20-2014, 07:01 AM
  #278
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne
 
Brooklyndevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,712
vCash: 500
I'm no fan of the Avs, because their fans are so arrogant. Sucking for the several years and all. However, they seem to draft well and did it the right, not like the Oilers, Florida and the Ilanders. I have to admit that I'm enjoying watching Parise and Suter crash and burn. Hopefully, they go down in 5. Avs can lose in their next series.

Brooklyndevil is offline  
Old
04-20-2014, 08:31 PM
  #279
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 23,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Brycey Poo View Post
oilers do have a history of making interesting trades..


Gretzky *cough* *cough*

I'm talking about their CURRENT GM.

glenwo2 is offline  
Old
04-20-2014, 09:41 PM
  #280
MadDevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bismarck, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 9,725
vCash: 500
I will give MacTavish one thing, he did at least finally address their goaltending. Granted, Fasth and Scrivens isn't exactly an elite duo, but it's better than what they had. They still have a terrible defense though.

MadDevil is offline  
Old
04-21-2014, 08:40 AM
  #281
njdevil26
Registered User
 
njdevil26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Clark, NJ
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,789
vCash: 500
I think I'm going to root for the Avs. Holy hell they are exciting to watch.

njdevil26 is offline  
Old
04-21-2014, 08:58 AM
  #282
Devils Dominion
Pivotal offseason
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 165 Mulberry
Country: United States
Posts: 23,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
I think I'm going to root for the Avs. Holy hell they are exciting to watch.
I used to hate Colorado, due to 2001 of course.
But that was the old guard Avs, these guys, aside from Roy, are new guard.

I would root for San Jose over them though.

Let's hope they sweep Zach out soon.

Devils Dominion is online now  
Old
04-21-2014, 05:03 PM
  #283
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,235
vCash: 500
http://deadspin.com/tomas-hertl-cont...ium=socialflow

I like to imagine Hertl spending hours on skeeball during his rehab.

// I'm supposed to hate everything NorCal, stop being likable dammit!

Brodeur is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:39 AM
  #284
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,263
vCash: 50
McPhee and Oates both gonezo in Washington.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:39 AM
  #285
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 18,535
vCash: 500
McPhee and Oates canned

Beaten to it!

I am not a fan of the rumors from a few weeks ago suggesting McPhee could land here in a role

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:45 AM
  #286
The Great Dame
DSevs
 
The Great Dame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Well McPhee did have a brief stint with the Devils in his career.

I wouldn't mind McPhee in some capacity, guy gets a bad rep but Ovechkin is the real reason they'll never have success. You can't build your team off a one dimensional winger.

The Great Dame is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:50 AM
  #287
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 18,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dame View Post
Well McPhee did have a brief stint with the Devils in his career.

I wouldn't mind McPhee in some capacity, guy gets a bad rep but Ovechkin is the real reason they'll never have success. You can't build your team off a one dimensional winger.
I understand its just one trade, but the Erat deal is pretty worrisome

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:53 AM
  #288
Fayne Staley
Pick me a winner
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 12m
Quote:
FYI: Capitals and Devils would have made the playoffs if Detroit and Columbus would have stayed in Western Conference. New reality.
thanks for reminding us.....


and no mcphee on this team...please NO.

Fayne Staley is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM
  #289
The Great Dame
DSevs
 
The Great Dame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I understand its just one trade, but the Erat deal is pretty worrisome
I do agree that the trade favored the Preds. Although at the time Erat was a consistent 50 point, two way forward. He had no idea that Oates would absolutely ruin the guy. Also we still have no idea if Forsberg and his one career goal will ever amount to anything in the NHL. The Caps also got a 2nd rounder right? I don't think it was as bad as people say.

The Great Dame is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 10:12 AM
  #290
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,722
vCash: 835
Oates back as assistant I wouldn't mind.

McPhee....ehh. I'd rather not.

AfroThunder396 is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 12:34 PM
  #291
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!
 
EliasR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 13,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dame View Post
Well McPhee did have a brief stint with the Devils in his career.

I wouldn't mind McPhee in some capacity, guy gets a bad rep but Ovechkin is the real reason they'll never have success. You can't build your team off a one dimensional winger.
Blaming his lack of success on the guy who is PPG plus in the playoffs. And last year when he put up 2 points in 7 games he was playing with a fractured foot. Even with Ovechkin's down year this year he still won rocket richard. So blaming him when the rest of the team hasn't been doing so hot just seems off to me. Mcphee also lucked out to get Backstrom, so he got two PPG players because he drafted top 5 and failed to build around them. He wasn't having success there before Ovechkin was there either.

And that Forsberg trade was poor asset management--Erat is not even on the team anymore and he was playing on the 4th line when he was. Regardless if Forsberg doesn't amount to anything at the time it was not that great. You trade a top prospect you should get something more than what he got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Oates back as assistant I wouldn't mind.

McPhee....ehh. I'd rather not.
Who would Oates replace though? Barr---he's done a wonderful job, same with Foligno, and obviously he won't take Stevens' role.

EliasR8 is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
  #292
Camille the Eel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
I don't think Oates will be back except as a head coach. He'll land as a head coach somewhere.

His sin in DC was not getting along with Ovechkin, not getting him to compete, not being able to motivate him, Oates' critics would say. (Or not kissing his rear end either, I would say). But Ovechkin was a major embarrassment last year; the poster boy for an over paid prima donna; thank heaven we didn't have to put up with that; dogging it, not playing defense, is an understatement. Leading the league in goals and minus. For Oates not to get a long with that bum is a compliment in this day and age, a tribute to Adam Oates' integrity. He gets fired for it; the way of the world I guess. Is Overchkin un-movable, untradable, given his contract; or is he just so much the face of the franchise, for the fans, that they'll never move him.

Does anyone think the Caps will recover as a top status team with him? If he wants to, he can make them that. We will see if the next head coach down there manages to get Overchkin - the captain of the team for god's sake - to exert himself beyond his individual statistics.

Meanwhile Adam Oates has my vote as a mensch. I guess he'll end up broadcasting for a bit and then signing on somewhere else as head. He's clearly got the talent, brains, etc. for that. But he'll be careful next time about the situation.

Camille the Eel is online now  
Old
04-26-2014, 01:13 PM
  #293
tycobb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dame View Post
Well McPhee did have a brief stint with the Devils in his career.

I wouldn't mind McPhee in some capacity, guy gets a bad rep but Ovechkin is the real reason they'll never have success. You can't build your team off a one dimensional winger.
Umm this is the GM that just let Semin walk and blew up one of the best offensive teams in recent history because ..... I have no idea.

Ovechkin is EASILY one of the best wingers to every play in the NHL.

The Gretzky only won 4 cups and never one without a stacked team. No single forward/defensive prevents a team from getting the cup.

tycobb is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 04:11 PM
  #294
NC107*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 500
Is Ovechkin a coach killer?

3 coaches in 3 1/2 years.

He may find a way out of the NHL and go to the KHL following Kovy.

Oates should be hired by the Devils.

NC107* is offline  
Old
04-28-2014, 09:55 AM
  #295
lukester
Registered User
 
lukester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Ron Francis will be the Gm of the Hurricanes.

lukester is offline  
Old
04-28-2014, 11:50 AM
  #296
tr83
Status Whoa!
 
tr83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 3,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC107 View Post
Is Ovechkin a coach killer?

3 coaches in 3 1/2 years.

He may find a way out of the NHL and go to the KHL following Kovy.

Oates should be hired by the Devils.
As long as Leonsis is there, Ovechkin is the GM. I think he treats the Caps like he does AOL. A dying organization that you have to poke with a stick to make sure it's still alive.

I don't know if what's a worse coaching gig, them or the Cleveland Browns

tr83 is offline  
Old
04-28-2014, 12:47 PM
  #297
NC107*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr83 View Post
As long as Leonsis is there, Ovechkin is the GM. I think he treats the Caps like he does AOL. A dying organization that you have to poke with a stick to make sure it's still alive.

I don't know if what's a worse coaching gig, them or the Cleveland Browns
I thought that Ovechkin and Oates got along? I know your point about Leonsis.

NC107* is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 09:15 AM
  #298
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,393
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC107 View Post
Is Ovechkin a coach killer?

3 coaches in 3 1/2 years.

He may find a way out of the NHL and go to the KHL following Kovy.

Oates should be hired by the Devils.
Was Patrik Elias a coach killer? 3 coaches in the 1 1/2 years from mid 2009 to late 2010.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 09:41 AM
  #299
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 39,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Was Patrik Elias a coach killer? 3 coaches in the 1 1/2 years from mid 2009 to late 2010.
Only one of Patrik's coaches was actually fired in that span. Two of ovechkin's were. I don't know if he's a coach killer, but I get the feeling he didn't like Oates and I wouldn't be surprised if moving him to the opposite wing was a reason. I get the feelin kovalchuk didn't like it either after reading his sisters comments.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 09:51 AM
  #300
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,393
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Only one of Patrik's coaches was actually fired in that span. Two of ovechkin's were. I don't know if he's a coach killer, but I get the feeling he didn't like Oates and I wouldn't be surprised if moving him to the opposite wing was a reason. I get the feelin kovalchuk didn't like it either after reading his sisters comments.
Word is that Ovechkin was a pretty big fan of Oates.

The reason Kovalchuk left is because he was homesick and wasn't a big fan of the NJ area. My dad's friend was the real estate agent on Kovy's house. Kovalchuk also had his most successful NHL season at right wing, so I doubt that was a contributing factor.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.