HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

question

Old
03-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

vCash: 500
question

I don't mean to be nosy, and I want to say off the bat that I'm no WUM (wind up merchant) here to provoke. Yes I'm a Canucks fan, born and bred in Vancouver not far from the old Coliseum. But I've always had a spot for the Oil, though admittedly not always Oilers fans. But that's neither here nor there now.

My question is this. I read today that MacT and Lowe aren't going to tolerate any slacking. Fine. But what about keeping a 'healthy' but discreet eye on the standings so the Oilers' first round pick is a better one? I fail to see why teams don't do more of this. The diff between drafting 6th and drafting 10th, say, is potentially huge.

I'm not saying 'tank' because that's unfair to fans and seasons tix people. But blood some youngsters; give a rookie goalie a run of games.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Petro Points

sounds like a plan... Markanen needs to get "injured" and JDD called up.... actually make that Roli with n injury so EIG can save some $$.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Anderson8

At this point i support tanking the rest of the season we have no chance at the playoffs and with Prospects like Alzner/Cherepanov/Turris/Couture/Voracek/Kane/Van Riemsdyk/Gagner/Ellerby/Esposito/ Gillies

We are guarented one of those kids

Anderson8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
oilerfanatic

i'm all for tanking it...but the oilers have too much pride to do that...i don't know why this "pride" always kicks in after we're out of the running...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Bucket

Again, we can't freely call guys up due to an agreement with the AHL in the new CBA, so AHL teams don't lose all their star players for the playoffs via call-ups. We were able to call one up because of our injury situation today.

I think everyone woulc love to try and give the rookies some time, but it's not possible to give them all time.

Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:01 PM
PuckNut

I have a hard time thinking it's just pure coincidence that we are basically out of the running now and alot of guys are getting hurt.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:18 PM
AM

Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
I have a hard time thinking it's just pure coincidence that we are basically out of the running now and alot of guys are getting hurt.
play injured in meaningless games?

Also, dont expect players to tank it...

thats cash right out of theri pocket.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
play injured in meaningless games?

Also, dont expect players to tank it...

thats cash right out of theri pocket.
I'm not saying that's exactly what they're doing. But if they're still getting paid, exactly what you said. Why play injured in a meaningless game? I'm not saying they aren't injured. I'm just saying maybe the injuries are very mild, but they are being told to rest.

edit:
And the only ones who have to worry about money are the one's that need signed, and I don't think the last 18 games or whatever will change their bargaining standpoint by that much.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote