HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Pens close to leaving Pittsburgh

Old
03-05-2007, 04:21 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD View Post
Marketing a sports like hockey is difficult in some area of the states. So was Basketball a one point.

It's all about being patients.

California is starting to produce very decent hockey players, I think there are some playing in the CHL.

There is no doubt that this game will never be as big as American Football or Baseball, but given time, I am sure it can find it's niche in the North-American sports markets.
I have no problem with California on the hockey map. I have problems with Carolina, Nashville and Pheonix however. California is one of the biggest market in the States and it benefited from Wayne Gretzky's presence. Luc Robitaille and Marcel Dionne were very popular there and it is a market prone to entertainement.

Carolina is a NASCAR/NCAA market and doesn't care about anything else. Eck, the won the Cup and the arena is stille empty. Pheonix has Gretzky has a coach and nobody cares. Nashville have one of the best teams in the league and nobody cares.

Hockey will never be a very popular sport in the States as long as its main stars are Canadians and Europeans. America is a VERY patriotic country and they praticly only cheer for their own. Look at baseball or football. Thoses sports are popular because they reflect the American yeah of life and are dominated by Americans.

If you want hockey to be popular you have to either have American stars or make the products really appealing to Americans. How? Well, I don't know.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:52 PM
pepperMonkey

I can't see how Gary Bettman would let the Pens go anywhere BUT someplace in the states. Unless I'm mistaken, his priority has always been to expand (economically, not necessarily teams wise) the NHL in the states, not Canada. Thus, I can't see the Pens coming to Canada.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

The MTS Centre in Winnipeg has 15,000 capacity, plenty for an NHL team. All the seats there are good + there are also the much-needed luxury boxes. It's a super building that's been attracting a ton of wicked concerts since it opened.

I've watched a bunch of Moose games there and I can tell you the "hockey atmosphere" in the 'Peg is huge too. Putting a team in KC would be a big mistake when there's so many rabid fans right here already.

(I'd like to say more but I broke my wrist Friday night..... stupid mosh pits !)

I feel for the fans in Pitt.... I know what it's like.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

There's so much flip flopping going on... I'll believe that the pens are moving when I see it.

As for moving the team, I think you gotta move it west considering that there are still 2 teams in the west that are in the eastern time zone.

Seattle is making a new arena for the sonics and are actively looking another tenant. They are currently researching the feasibility of a hockey team in Seattle. This would be the place to move the pens. Seattle has a hockey history and is a good sports town and I think its the largest market that is not in the NHL.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:25 PM
CHice

Send a message via MSN to CHice
who cares about pittsburgh, what does this have to do with the habs?

CHice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHice View Post
who cares about pittsburgh, what does this have to do with the habs?
Whats up newbie ?

OT = Off Topic

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Habs514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
An impasse was declared in arena talks and they will actively look to relocate the team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07064/767020-100.stm
I hope they moved them to the western conference. With the young guys gaining more experience that team is very scary to play.

Habs514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
One Trick Pony

what if they win the cup?

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:38 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
what if they win the cup?
Then they'll have a victory parade down the Interstate to KC.

03-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Seems like lots of young fans in here are not very knowledgeable on Pittsburgh Hockey, let me help...

Fans / Attendance:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=8...&postcount=261

Television Ratings:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=8212992&postcount=1

100 Year History:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4103680&postcount=1

Thanks for your support.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:51 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post
Seems like lots of young fans in here are not very knowledgeable on Pittsburgh Hockey, let me help...

Fans / Attendance:

Television Ratings:

100 Year History:

Thanks for your support.
I don't think anyone is questioning that Pens fans go to games now. It's the track record over the past 10 seasons. Most cities can support a team when they're good.

I personally think that Pittsburgh is a great hockey city, they just need a municipal government that will acknowledge that by putting forward a fraction of the money the put forward for the NFL or MLB.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
An impasse was declared in arena talks and they will actively look to relocate the team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07064/767020-100.stm

The way I look at it is if the City of Pittsburgh doesn't want to build an arena and support one of the best, young franchises in the NHL, then pull the team out of there and get over all these negotiations. They don't deserve to have a team if they are second guessing what to do as far as keeping the team and building an arena.

Move the team to a city like Winnipeg!
With the salary cap now they should be able to support a team if they had the right owner, they have an arena now where they could play and it would be great to have another team in Canada. There are too many teams in the US as it is, so if some team has to go.....then it should go to Canada.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
The way I look at it is if the City of Pittsburgh doesn't want to build an arena and support one of the best, young franchises in the NHL, then pull the team out of there and get over all these negotiations. They don't deserve to have a team if they are second guessing what to do as far as keeping the team and building an arena.

Move the team to a city like Winnipeg!
With the salary cap now they should be able to support a team if they had the right owner, they have an arena now where they could play and it would be great to have another team in Canada. There are too many teams in the US as it is, so if some team has to go.....then it should go to Canada.
I totally agree with you Puckhead, we definitely do need more teams in Canada. I just honestly hope that Pittsburgh isn't one of them. There are plenty of other US franchises that I would like to see come here before Pittsburgh.

03-06-2007, 10:44 AM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Hawaii would be a great home for the team.

Mitchell

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Guy Caballero

Sucks, but no more of a tragedy than when Winnipeg, Hartford, or QC moved.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:33 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I totally agree with you Puckhead, we definitely do need more teams in Canada. I just honestly hope that Pittsburgh isn't one of them. There are plenty of other US franchises that I would like to see come here before Pittsburgh.
I'm not sure why you don't want the pens to come to Canada..

Unless Bettman wants another team in Canada, it ain't coming to Canada. At least it certainly seems as if Bettman is doing his upmost to increase the number of teams in the States and not Canada. And if that is true, you will probably get your wish and the Pens will go someplace else like in the states (i.e. KC...).

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:38 PM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post

Fans / Attendance:

Television Ratings:

100 Year History:

Thanks for your support.
How was these attendance going between Mario and Sidney?

These are all very cute stats, but without help from the different governement level, you guys are screwed, and that's it.

PockIsGoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
I'm not sure why you don't want the pens to come to Canada..

Unless Bettman wants another team in Canada, it ain't coming to Canada. At least it certainly seems as if Bettman is doing his upmost to increase the number of teams in the States and not Canada. And if that is true, you will probably get your wish and the Pens will go someplace else like in the states (i.e. KC...).
It's nothing against the Pens, I actually like their team and from what I've heard they have a very strong fan base. I only said I didn't want the Pens coming to Canada because I think that they are one of the stronger US based teams.

I don't want to see them move period, and I definitely don't want to see them moving anywhere else in the states (i.e. KC) If a final decision is made that they were to move, Canada would definitely be my first choice. (Hamilton/Winnipeg/Quebec) not in any specific order.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD View Post
How was these attendance going between Mario and Sidney?

These are all very cute stats, but without help from the different governement level, you guys are screwed, and that's it.
Very true...but they are a lot better then the majority of the newer american based teams when it comes to attendance.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote