HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why I think the Habs should try to play an offensive Vs. defensive system

Old
03-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Oh, frustrated fans with exaggerated expectations, I feel your pain! Unfortunately, no present Hab is capable of a single 50-goal season or of a string of 40-goal seasons. These players haven't displayed that sort of potential either in the minors or in a single NHL season. So what do you do, command them to score lots of goals while at the same time not giving up too many? Lots of luck!

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I am still yet to hear any tangible on ice solution, all i hear is the need to play more offensive, well suggest what they can do on the ice to be more "offensive".

1) when you have the puck.("offensive")
2) when you don't have the puck.("defensive")

those are the "basics" for 5 on 5 play.
My possible solution was to make it more offensive.. I backed it up with a bunch of reasons. One being the nature of the team and the second being the mindset of the team.

I'm not a coach. I don't have every game video taped and I don't spend 10 hours a day coming up with a new system when I don't even know the old system that only the coaching staff and players know for sure.

So I can't come up with HOW to make it more offensive, but that it could be better if they did.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
My possible solution was to make it more offensive.. I backed it up with a bunch of reasons. One being the nature of the team and the second being the mindset of the team.

I'm not a coach. I don't have every game video taped and I don't spend 10 hours a day coming up with a new system when I don't even know the old system that only the coaching staff and players know for sure.

So I can't come up with HOW to make it more offensive, but that it could be better if they did.
well these solutions don't sound like tactical issues at all, but i agree the character and mindset of the group needs to change. They need to be more aggresive in all areas and play with more desire and passion, i'm not sure what the coach can do to improve this, either you are or you aren't when it comes to these things.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Belso

Quote:
well these solutions don't sound like tactical issues at all, but i agree the character and mindset of the group needs to change. They need to be more aggresive in all areas and play with more desire and passion, i'm not sure what the coach can do to improve this, either you are or you aren't when it comes to these things.
Maybe we should get everyone on this board to pitch in and buy the movie "The Rocket" for each player of the team Might inspire them to work harder!!

Old
03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Maybe we should get everyone on this board to pitch in and buy the movie "The Rocket" for each player of the team Might inspire them to work harder!!
I still haven't seen it yet.

yeah it may help for a game or two maybe. what after that i don't know.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Belso

Quote:
I still haven't seen it yet.

yeah it may help for a game or two maybe. what after that i don't know.
You should. I thought it was a good movie. I didn't live in his time and sure can't understand everything he lived, but the story is uplifting. I saw it in French. Might not give the same effect in Englsih..

Old
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Reuben

Quote:
You should. I thought it was a good movie. I didn't live in his time and sure can't understand everything he lived, but the story is uplifting. I saw it in French. Might not give the same effect in Englsih..
they have a subtitled version in english.

Old
03-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

The team isn't working hard for 60 mins.

What is needed isn't a 2 man forecheck or the ever-popular "offensive system" (which they use only in the RSL and in Europe these days).... what's missing most nights is the BACKCHECK and that's mainly a problem @ forward. Man I saw Kostitsyn out there backchecking for 2 games and it's no wonder he's been getting icetime. Best backchecker lately: Plekanec (followed by Lapierre). Using speed to backcheck is really all Carbo is asking.

A few players who feel stifled in this "defensive" system don't wanna do that. It's easier to slow up and wait around the neutral zone for a pass instead of working for the puck.

Seriously folks, it really is just that simple. Maybe that system works against certain people's "skills" but other teams kill us when we fail to do it.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
The team isn't working hard for 60 mins.

What is needed isn't a 2 man forecheck or the ever-popular "offensive system" (which they use only in the RSL and in Europe these days).... what's missing most nights is the BACKCHECK and that's mainly a problem @ forward. Man I saw Kostitsyn out there backchecking for 2 games and it's no wonder he's been getting icetime. Best backchecker lately: Plekanec (followed by Lapierre). Using speed to backcheck is really all Carbo is asking.

A few players who feel stifled in this "defensive" system don't wanna do that. It's easier to slow up and wait around the neutral zone for a pass instead of working for the puck.

Seriously folks, it really is just that simple. Maybe that system works against certain people's "skills" but other teams kill us when we fail to do it.
no kidding if they want to go on the "offence" so badly maybe they should fight harder to cause turnovers and get the puck back.
Maybe they'll even get some odd man rushes.