HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Newbie With Several Questions As I'm Looking For Advice

Old
04-22-2014, 08:46 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 114
Newbie With Several Questions As I'm Looking For Advice

Hi everyone,

I've never posted in this part of HF before but I'm looking for advice on a few things...

When I was a kid I used to love taking shots by myself with a tennis ball against a wall or on a net and I'd love to get back into that again but this time with a shooting pad and pucks. I remember how much fun I had taking shots as a kid, and I figure taking 50-100 shots a night would be good core exercise no??? Due to a few medical problems I can't skate so I figure a shooting pad and pucks will be the closest I ever get to practicing on the ice, which is fine by me.

Even though it's been years since I've had a stick in my hand, I know I shoot left handed. I'm 26 and around 6'2-6'3 and weigh around 220 lbs. IIRC, I used to have a good wrist shot with a ball when I was a kid but I have never shot with a puck before so which stick would you recommend I use to start out with for shooting with a puck??? I've only ever used wooden sticks when playing road hockey as a kid (I think they were Titan sticks from Walmart IIRC) and budget wise I'm looking for something around $100 to start with (maybe a tad more if need be.)

Would these sticks be worth it or are they just cheap pieces of junk???? I.E. should I stay away from those and just spend a bit more at like SportChek or Pro Hockey Life??

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/re...l#.U1ZvdXlOWUk

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rb...l#.U1ZwCnlOWUk

As far as shooting pads go are these ones any good...I ask because I know I can grab these ones locally.

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...ductId=4293410

Would that be an appropriate size for what I want to do or would I need something bigger, I.E. are those sized more for kids??? Also I wondered if shooting pads can be used on grass??? I live in an apartment building so the pavement around the building is a bit uneven, however we do have a huge fenced in field behind our parking lot.

Any suggestions or answers to my questions would be great guys. Also if you think I need to know anything else or if you have any questions by all means chime in.

Thanks.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 09:30 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Like I mentioned before in another thread, most CT hockey products are named exclusively to them. They shouldn't be inherently worse or better than a similarly-priced product at another retailer (A regularly priced $100 Bauer stick should be very similar if not the same as a regularly priced $100 Bauer stick at PHL from the same model year and model family). That being said, good luck finding feedback or reviews on them. I suggest going for a stick that's on sale/clearance at these bigger hockey retailers.

Check the Stick guide (stickied at the top) for more details.

The shooting board is fine, it might feel off on grass because the foundation is softer than asphalt. You could also do a search for shooting baords on here. Several good threads on it.

That should be enough 'research' to get you started.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote