HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MDSF #3 - 04/22/14 | New York Rangers @ Philadelphia Flyers | 8:00 - MSG, CNBC

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
I'd really like to see the PP step up. I know it is wishful thinking, but if the flyers are going to continue to play dirty you have to make them pay. You can't go 1-6. Convert just one of those and it is a different game.

3-12 overall in the series. It needs to be better because the flyers are going to give you opportunities.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
The Flyers finished like 2 points behind us. The series is 1-1 and they don't even have their starting goalie.
And? The playoffs are about battling through injuries. We don't have a top line winger. A winger who would fit perfectly in our game plan for success against this very team. A winger who allows Vigneault to balance out the lines and create mismatches defensively rather than putting all our stars onto one line and potentially be shut down in any given game.

Our 3rd line is complete **** now.

Part of why their defense was able to partially shut our offense down last game was because of our lack of balance. The very same balance that led to our success.

Emery? Mason? Both aren't anything special to begin with. The difference between them isn't far off at all. In fact, Emery was once the bonafide starter this season and Mason looked like a bad investment. Fortunes change quickly. You try and overcome injuries, like we are trying to overcome Kreider's. If you can't overcome injuries, your team will be sunk in the playoffs.

I'm not surprised they're 1-1. But i'm surprised so many people are labeling the loss as a Phil. achievement and not as a Rangers disappointment.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I don't know why it's considered a disappointment when the teams were 2-2 in the regular season, and the Rangers were a better road team.

04-22-2014, 11:03 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Do you watch the games? Go look at the stats for the last 50 games and tell me how Hank was outplayed night after night
Preach.

Hank's numbers from January on are out of this world.

January - 12 games, 1.91 GAA, .938 sv%
Feb - 2 games (heh), 1.92 GAA, .930 sv %
March - 14 games, 2.44 GAA, .917 sv%
April - 5 games, 1.57 GAA, .949 sv%

That's 33 games, half of Hank's season. If a 2.44 GAA is highlighted for a month of 'bad' play from you in a selected portion of your season that equates to over half your games, you're probably not getting outplayed that often in that stretch.

Continue with the hyperbole!

Old
04-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I'd really like to see the PP step up. I know it is wishful thinking, but if the flyers are going to continue to play dirty you have to make them pay. You can't go 1-6. Convert just one of those and it is a different game.

3-12 overall in the series. It needs to be better because the flyers are going to give you opportunities.
The PP won them game 1 - it could be argued it lost them game 2. Its not going to be firing on all cylinders every game.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I don't know why it's considered a disappointment when the teams were 2-2 in the regular season, and the Rangers were a better road team.
First loss came in our first month of doom. Flyers had just fired Lavi and ensued on an incredible hot streak that put them close to Pitt in standings for the first 2 months.

2nd loss was more about the Rangers establishing their physicality. They abandoned any semblance of their game plan to try and fight the Flyers.

They haven't done that in the first 2 games this series. Their energy died down. People need to relax. It's a wake up call, if they take it. Otherwise, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs if they can't play 60 minutes of inspired hockey when their season is on the line.

The point is, they are the better team by far. They lost because they acted like they won the game and were looking ahead to the next series. Not because Philadelphia forced them to play worse. That didn't happen.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:09 AM
zuckera1

2-0 win, Brassard and Stepan.

Vintage Lundqvist tonight.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The PP won them game 1 - it could be argued it lost them game 2. Its not going to be firing on all cylinders every game.
Or their lack of PK? 50% is an embarrassment.

04-22-2014, 11:12 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
That is true, but the 4 on 3 was especially painful to watch. And if wasn't for the bogus embellishment calls they could have easily had two more pps that they likely would have also failed at. Point is that when they get as many opportunities as an undisciplined Flyers team is going to give they really need to do better to take advantage.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:14 AM
KingP

so pumped for this

Old
04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
Yup. And maybe trying to stay disciplined rather than take stupid interference and dive penalties.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
One was an empty netter, and you're not exactly using a huge sample size to begin with

Old
04-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
Yup. And maybe trying to stay disciplined rather than take stupid interference and dive penalties.
Honestly, I didn't see a dive on either play. Still don't after re watching it a few times.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
I just think it's funny people think this series will be a cakewalk. Philly has a good team. Yeah we're expected to win, but it's not like an 8th seed against a 1st seed.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Honestly, I didn't see a dive on either play. Still don't after re watching it a few times.
Zucc's 100% wasn't. Dorsett fell too easily. Brassard had a terrible one with about 7-8 min left in the 3rd that wasn't called.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Im not too worried about special teams either way.

The Rangers need to assert themselves at even strength. They're a good team when they have the puck, but sometimes they don't show the urgency to go get it. Some traffic in front of the net would help too.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:25 AM
AHB

Lundqvist would have been in the vezina running once again had his season not started so poorly. So no, it wasn't a whole season thing.

Also, Dorsett's dive was blatant. Zucc, not so much.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:26 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I just think it's funny people think this series will be a cakewalk. Philly has a good team. Yeah we're expected to win, but it's not like an 8th seed against a 1st seed.
I think it's more to do with how relatively dominant we looked in game one and then we were up 2-0 in the first 10 minutes.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
Hoping the lunacy of the WFC will energize the Flyers into taking more stupid penalties.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I think it's more to do with how relatively dominant we looked in game one and then we were up 2-0 in the first 10 minutes.

Yep.

But, as a wise man once said:

Quote:
Iíd suggest the odds are in the Rangersí favor. That doesnít mean the series is assuredly theirs, however. These discrepancies havenít ironed themselves out after an 82-game schedule; a best-of-7 series presents a much smaller window for the trends to correct themselves.
I don't think the series should be a cakewalk. You should never really expect a 7 game series to be (ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN). I had the Rangers as a 65% favorite to begin the series and a 59% favorite now.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
04-22-2014, 11:44 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
2.36 GAA (8th among goalies with 40 or more games played) .920 sv% (9th among goalies with 40 ore more games played).

Hank played 63 games. 2nd GAA among goalies with 60 or more games played. 3rd sv % with 60 or more games played.

#Mediocre

He also tied for the league lead in goalie assists, but I guess we're ignoring that too?
Get your facts out of here.

He's clearly being outplayed by the other goalie even though they're being attacked by two entirely different teams and are in no way in direct competition against one another.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:48 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I expect a big night from Henrik.

04-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Zipay thinks Carcillo may be in.

Makes sense. This series is going to take a turn for the worse tonight - physicality wise.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Rubber meeting road time here... Yeah they took their foot off the gas in the last game and it cost them. That's been a problem for this team going in a decade... They've blown leads before... They've come from behind in other games.

Put up or shut up.

Just get it done. I'd like Nash to show up and not just have a "good effort" game.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
A cakewalk would be a sweep. You can win a series in 5 games and battle hard to do so. I don't see how being confident in the Rangers winning this series because they are the better team gets reduced to it being seen as a "cakewalk."

rip
Closed Thread