HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we get the Blues pick, who would you want?

Old
04-22-2014, 12:28 PM
TheCerebral1
Zero F***s Given

vCash: 500
Jack Glover looks interesting, not someone I had really looked at yet.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:28 PM
MagnumForce

Assuming that we get St Louis' pick, other than the top 5, how many of the prospects would you be willing to trade the Blues' 1st, Sabres' 2nd and the Jets' 2nd for?

Ball park figure of what we would be trading:
St Louis 1st (possibly one of Bleackley, Fiala, Goldobin, Kempe, Karlsson, Ho-Sang, Demko, Vrana, etc)
Buffalo's 2nd (pretty much same as above)
Winnipeg's 2nd (Lemieux, whoever drops, fill in some names)

This draft seems to be wide open

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:32 PM
SabresFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Assuming that we get St Louis' pick, other than the top 5, how many of the prospects would you be willing to trade the Blues' 1st, Sabres' 2nd and the Jets' 2nd for?

St Louis 1st (possibly one of Bleackley, Fiala, Goldobin, Kempe, Karlsson, Ho-Sang, Demko, Vrana, etc)

Interesting question. Also thinking about trades for current prospects rather than just more draft picks, what do you think a return could be for some of our picks? (our late firsts, early 2nds)

Tim Murray said that he wants to get established prospects, so I wonder if he's considering packaging Stewart or Ehrhoff with picks for prospects and picks.

What do you guys think?

SabresFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post

Trading what's essentially two late 1st's and a solid 2nd, I'd want to be grabbing someone really good like Ehlers, Nylander, or Barbashev. Going by draft value charts (from memory) I believe those picks would put you in the top 10. I'm not sure if that would happen in reality, but considering the drop-off after about 6 picks in this draft, maybe it could. If it could, I'd do it.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 02:04 PM
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Trading what's essentially two late 1st's and a solid 2nd, I'd want to be grabbing someone really good like Ehlers, Nylander, or Barbashev. Going by draft value charts (from memory) I believe those picks would put you in the top 10. I'm not sure if that would happen in reality, but considering the drop-off after about 6 picks in this draft, maybe it could. If it could, I'd do it.
Ehlers is the player that interests me a lot and I would be willing to give up all 3 picks for. He seems like a pure goal scorer and his plus/minus is unreal. Nylander, Kapanen, McCann are players that I would consider giving all or 2 of the picks up for depending on the where they fall. (if they are in the 15 range, 2 picks should get it done)

Old
04-22-2014, 02:09 PM
MagnumForce

Imagine coming out of this draft with:
Bennett/Reinhart and Ehlers
Bennett/Reinhart, Nylander/Kapanen/McCann and Demko/(1st round faller)

Old
04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
sjci

vCash: 172
Quote:
It'd be:

St. Louis 1st (27th) - 291
Buffalo 2nd (31st) - 225
Winnipeg 2nd (39th) - 209

For a total of 725, which equates to the 6th selection (702 points). 5th is 741 points. Now I doubt that any team would trade out of the top 10 for that, but I could realistically see Buffalo trade St. Louis 1st plus Winnipeg 2nd in a package for a pick around 14-16. The chart isn't exactly 100% full proof, for example the Buffalo/Calgary trade in 2012 was the 14th (456 points) for 21 and 42 (539 points). By the chart, the Sabres could've gotten the 11th pick, but the chart is a good basis for general ideas.

In contrast, if we don't get the St. Louis 1st, our three 2nd Round picks (Buf, WPG, MIN) would be a point total of 619 (225+209+185). 619 points equals the 9th pick, but a more realistic deal would be packaging two of those picks for a selection around 18-20.

sjci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
It'd be:

Buffalo 2nd (31st) - 225

For a total of 725, which equates to the 6th selection (702 points). 5th is 741 points. Now I doubt that any team would trade out of the top 10 for that, but I could realistically see Buffalo trade St. Louis 1st plus Winnipeg 2nd in a package for a pick around 14-16. The chart isn't exactly 100% full proof, for example the Buffalo/Calgary trade in 2012 was the 14th (456 points) for 21 and 42 (539 points). By the chart, the Sabres could've gotten the 11th pick, but the chart is a good basis for general ideas.

In contrast, if we don't get the St. Louis 1st, our three 2nd Round picks (Buf, WPG, MIN) would be a point total of 619 (225+209+185). 619 points equals the 9th pick, but a more realistic deal would be packaging two of those picks for a selection around 18-20.
Right. The draft pick chart is just a handy base to start with. Being that there are only 30 teams, and only 2-3 in the range of whatever your target may be, it ultimately gets thrown out of the window when it comes to actual deals. I've said this many times but I'd be 100% fine with us not making a single 2nd round selection this year, if it means trading up, or directly, for young players Murray believes in.

The St. Louis 1st alone might land a pretty good prospect so I wouldn't be upset if they declined to trade up from it, but there are many players I really like who would probably be in realistic striking range of a trade-up from there. Our 2nd also might be able to land somebody, but the Winnipeg 2nd is just about where things should dry up. It'd be hard to pass up turning some of those picks into a really strong selection somewhere in the middle of the 1st.

Old
04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
SiDC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Head View Post
Oh I see what you're saying now. I was thrown off by "for years to come", which implies a player playing for us for a long time, and in that context you would be saying that no one we draft is likely to play in the NHL at all. You mean a player seeing NHL time soon, which I agree with
Exactly. All this immense speculation going on in this thread is giving me a headache. I barely care about our 2nd pick let alone the twenty-something. I'll be interested when (or better yet IF) they actually make the roster permanently.

Last edited by SiDC1: 04-22-2014 at 04:14 PM.
SiDC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiDC1 View Post
Exactly. All this immense speculation going on in this threat is giving me a headache. I barely care about our 2nd pick let alone the twenty-something. I'll be interested when (or better yet IF) they actually make the roster permanently.
I'd say that puts you in the minority here. Most people like following our prospects on their path to the NHL.

Old
04-22-2014, 04:08 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

I was thinking about this earlier. Would you trade the 2nd overall and Stewart for Duchene? And then try to trade back into the front half of the Draft with St Louis pick ?

Last edited by SundherDome: 04-22-2014 at 04:14 PM.
SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundherDome View Post
I was thinking about this earlier. Would you trade the 2nd overall and Stewart for Duchene? And then try to trade back into the front half of the Draft with St Louis pick ?
Why does Colorado trade arguably its best player? Not gonna happen.

Old
04-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Dunkster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFuture View Post
Interesting question. Also thinking about trades for current prospects rather than just more draft picks, what do you think a return could be for some of our picks? (our late firsts, early 2nds)

Tim Murray said that he wants to get established prospects, so I wonder if he's considering packaging Stewart or Ehrhoff with picks for prospects and picks.

What do you guys think?
I think Ehrhoff is gone. To where I am unsure, my best guess would be Ottawa or Detroit. I think TM packages him and Stewart or Foligno in a deal for nhl ready prospects. Myers could go but I think TM would prefer it be Hoff. The only way Myers goes is if it is for Edmontons pick at 3. Just my opinion.

Dunkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:37 PM
SabresFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkster19 View Post
I think Ehrhoff is gone. To where I am unsure, my best guess would be Ottawa or Detroit. I think TM packages him and Stewart or Foligno in a deal for nhl ready prospects. Myers could go but I think TM would prefer it be Hoff. The only way Myers goes is if it is for Edmontons pick at 3. Just my opinion.
This is something I have thought of too. Edmonton desperately needs defense, not more offensive prospects. Unless Ekblad drops, this is not a great draft for them. We could package Myers for their 3rd overall pick. Just a thought.

SabresFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Why does Colorado trade arguably its best player? Not gonna happen.
They seem to be doing well without him. They have O'Reilly, Mackinnon, Mitchell down the middle if they want, and they can resign Stastny on top of adding Stewart back to the mix at wing and then they can select a Sam or Ekblad if they deal with Florida.

It is a long shot but I think they would at least listen.

Old
04-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkster19 View Post
I hope TM packages some of the second rounders and that late first to move back into the top 10-15
Buffalo would have 2 at 31 and 39. If the trade of picks was triggered.

I can see them doing a 2nd + steward/stafford for and unprotected 2015 1st from the right team who they think will miss the playoffs.

I also can see Stewart + stl 1st for 2 decent Ottawa prospects or 3 prospects.

Quote:
I would hope we package it with a 2nd to move up further in the 1st round.

Also I don't get the infatuation with Demko. He had a very poor U-18 and this year in the NCAA, his save % was ranked 33rd overall, heck the kid from Canisius had a better save %. I'm not trying to say he's a bad goalie, but I don't get the major cry for trying to get him.
I think ne 2nd and st Louis pic around 27 could get them to them to 18-22 depending on which 2nd gets moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
Ideally i'd like us to target a guy and move up a few spots to grab them (or potentially more, but I think teams will be reluctant to trade out of that next tier of talent). Ho-sang is a personal favorite, but Barbashev, Scherbak, Bleackley, Fabbri and Goldobin would be nice targets. I'd prefer they avoid Demko, nothing against him as a prospect I just oppose the idea of drafting goalies with early picks.
It's all about where the person who they thing is bps vs other teams. If they think bps is around 30 on most boards they may take the risk to trade down, still select their guy and still get something extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFuture View Post

What do you guys think?
I thing he has prospects in Ottawa he will like to get.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiDC1 View Post
Exactly. All this immense speculation going on in this thread is giving me a headache. I barely care about our 2nd pick let alone the twenty-something. I'll be interested when (or better yet IF) they actually make the roster permanently.
And while I'm not trying to discourage you from posting here, you're going to be very much in the minority here.

This is a board devoted to the FUTURE...hence, "Hockey's Future". The 2nd pick and if we get St. Louis' 20-something pick is going to be the lion's share of the discussion here.

We talk prospects here. We talk draft picks. We talk about their ceilings, however unrealistic. It's what we do.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundherDome View Post

Colorado doesn't do this. Maybe in a few years once their young players are more established.

In the land of hypothetical it would cost more than Stewart and #2. They likely have to add 1-2 other players.

Grigorenko, Myers, Stewart, #2 for Duchene + something else

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 05:30 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
It'd be:

Buffalo 2nd (31st) - 225

There's a point chart for NHL drafting?

I'd like to see that entire chart because it's a pdf file

1st for 1st
826 for 3rd

that 91 points or the 112 th pick (mid 4th rounder)

I don't buy this chart for one second

Last edited by krt88: 04-22-2014 at 05:37 PM.
krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 06:24 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Colorado doesn't do this. Maybe in a few years once their young players are more established.

In the land of hypothetical it would cost more than Stewart and #2. They likely have to add 1-2 other players.

Grigorenko, Myers, Stewart, #2 for Duchene + something else
Nvm then ...so this Blues pick

Old
04-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Zip15

vCash: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88 View Post
There's a point chart for NHL drafting?

I'd like to see that entire chart because it's a pdf file

1st for 1st
826 for 3rd

that 91 points or the 112 th pick (mid 4th rounder)

I don't buy this chart for one second
This is the best chart for draft pick value because it relies on actual draft pick-for-draft pick trades:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...lue-trading-up

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote