HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La Presse, a serious newspaper?

Old
03-06-2007, 06:19 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
La Presse was ready to get the story out on Saturday (for Sunday) but when Kovalev said he didn't said all that stuff, they took a step back and made sure again if everything was ok. Everything relies now on the shoulders of the journalist who wrote that down. If it wasn't truth, why would she have write it down since the story is meaningless in Russia.

Why would journalists in Russia not have the same ethic our journalists have?
You're kidding, right?

If a newspaper in Russia translated an article from the National Enquirer or The Star, and swore that theyw ere merely translating a published article, woul you be impressed?

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 06:32 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
La Presse sat on the story for 3 days...they checked their sources...it was translated by Elena Botchorichvili who covered sports for more than 20 years in Russia....Brunet spoke to the sport-writer (Regina Sevostianova) and she said the interview was conducted february 24th at 21:38 and retype for the magazine in its entire content. She said that she would send the interview by email to Brunet but an hour later, her boss said no.....

Since, Football-Hockey is a credible source (the interview was published there and that Sevostianova is a credible source, La Presse decided to publish the interview.

Nothing wrong there!
Very interesting. This interview is reportedly conducted on February 24 at 21:38, a few hours after the Canadiens lost to the Islanders in an afternoon game (if the time is EST). However, from the first question asked of Kovalev in the interview he clearly states that the team has won their last 3 games (see link below - in french).

I'm not sure if Kovalev made the trip to Uniondale (he returned from injury the next game) but I am pretty sure he must have been informed as to the outcome of the game, making the timing of his purported response suspicious. Why wouldn't he have said something like we were building momentum with 3 wins until a tough loss today?

Could 21:38 be Moscow time? Possibly, but with 8 hours difference this would make the it 13:38 EST, the same time as the game. I'm giving Kovalev the benefit of the doubt that he was at least watching the game and not conducting an interview (weak assumption, admittedly).

The strangest question in the interview involved the reporter asking the following: "I know the francophones playing in Hamilton feel superior to the other players, I hope it is not the same in Montreal?" What kind of leading question is this? Am I to believe that a local Russian Soccer-Hockey rag is so well informed on the geocultural climate of minor league hockey in North America? If so, the we might as well implicate Kostitsyn or Grabovski for divulging this inside gem.

I'd like to know if Kovalev has been interviewed by this person before. Judging by the tone of the questions it almost seems like two old chums are having a talk. It probably made for a good read for those in Russia who lament over the "unfair" treatment of their own in North American hockey.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Very interesting. This interview is reportedly conducted on February 24 at 21:38, a few hours after the Canadiens lost to the Islanders in an afternoon game (if the time is EST). .
The journalist really spoke to Kovalev on that day. Kovalev said that he had never spoken to her (last Saturday) but changed his story, yesterday, admitting that the journalist called him on that day/time ......

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:03 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I would never doubt Francois Gagnon ... the guy has a lot of integrity
It appears that there is no proof that the tape of the radio interview and the transcript of the interview have the same content. It may very well be fictional. If such is the case and there is no proof at hand for both Gagnon and Brunet then they jumped the gun and made fools of themselves. Somebody with integrity doesn't call Kovalev a liar 4 seperate times in an interview on the Team 990 yesterday. He called Kovy an outright liar and leaves his paper with serious issues concerning liability for Kovy's reputation. Gagnon said Mattias heard a portion of the tape on the phone and made the leap of logic that everything he was fed was true and now both are unable to confirm without question that their story is true. Who is the liar now? And how does one retain integrity by assasinating anothers character for no good reason? Gagnon may have integrity but in this case made a bone headed fool of himself calling it the biggest story in 15 years of Habs history. I think Roy leaving is a bigger deal really. I think Theo being traded with a broken heel is a bigger deal. I think Rivet's trade is a bigger story than this non story.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddens View Post
I'm sorry for starting a new thread but this is an important detail... Especially for those who can't read French.

La Presse did not have access to the audio file. Actually they had access to a short segment when Kovalev talks about the World Championships.

For everything else when they say that they have 'proof', it is 100% based on the transcription/translation of someone they don't know (yet they have a blind trust in that person). I find it simply amazing. I used to rank La Presse ahead of le Journal de Montréal or 110% for sport content. Not anymore. Before creating such a mess you need to have good information, Too much can be lost/modified during transcription/translation...

This whole thing comes down to the Montreal media trying to use their power to push Kovalev out of Montreal....IMO.
They are putting words in Kovy's mouth, saying he said things that he didn't say and they are hoping that it will get everybody against him so he gets boo'd everytime he plays and then he'll ask to be traded out of Montreal.
I get annoyed when Kovalev doesn't play hard and put up points, but the media doing something like this is terrible.....no player in the NHL is going to want to play here....making it impossible to improve the team and sign free agents.

There must be something else the media can talk about besides the Canadiens. I think they Habs should stop letting the media in the dressing room and stop doing interviews until they stop putting this garbage in the papers....its ruining the team.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

When I heard Mr gagnon on the morning show (team 990) yesterday I knew this guy was a joke. He has an axe to grind and allow his feelings to cloud his journalistic judgement.

He admited when he asked for the tape he was refused and they heard a small clip in Russian. And everytime J.P Stock contradicted him, Mr Gagnon would back down from his stance.

Yesterday was a godd indiction of the quality of most of the journalism in this city. Bush league.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Le Devoir is the most biased newpaper in Quebec, they have some good writers but none are the level of Pierre Foglia. It's also a very limited journal, it's a good complement but they lack a lot of stuff.

I really like the Globe but I can't see what they have more than La Presse, both have very good columnists, "chroniques", politic and international coverage. I can't beleive you put La Presse in the same League than The Gazette and The Star. Those are English versions of The Journal de Montreal.
Actually, I'm pretty much a federalist and I find the views in Le Devoir quite balanced in that respect - but they're definitely a left-leaning paper and thin when it comes to things like Sports & Arts. Still, best written French paper in the country in terms of language quality - the Globe is the only comparison. All papers have a slant, you can't get away from that. People tend to gravitate towards those that preach what they prefer. La Presse is regarded as a federalist paper. It's just a fact of life. For example, while I appreciate The Globe I don't read it much because it's quite Toronto-centric and out of touch with quebec, so often irrelevant for those of us here - sports section is as much a joke as Le Devoir too if your into that. But best politics & ecomony paper out there and excellently written.

Likening the Gazette & Star to the JdM is quite out there. You may not like them and that's fair (personally, I find the Gazette too montreal anglo-centric and unbalanced, for example.) But they're nowhere in the league of the JdM in terms of journalism. The real equivalent to the tabloid style of JdM is the Toronto Sun. JdM is decent for sports though, although again, Sports are hardly journalism - neither is it journalism in La Presse. I stand with what I said, La Presse is in the same class as the Gazette & Star - although you may prefer one of them because of slant or depth of subsections like sports (I take La Presse over those 2 to read any day). But definitely not "best newspaper in the country".

Last edited by Turbo: 03-06-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 08:03 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Why would journalists in Russia not have the same ethic our journalists have?

Ethics and journalist in the same sentence? You must be kidding.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Actually, I'm pretty much a federalist and I find the views in Le Devoir quite balanced in that respect - but they're definitely a left-leaning paper and thin when it comes to things like Sports & Arts. Still, best written French paper in the country in terms of language quality - the Globe is the only comparison. All papers have a slant, you can't get away from that. People tend to gravitate towards those that preach what they prefer. La Presse is regarded as a federalist paper. It's just a fact of life. For example, while I appreciate The Globe I don't read it much because it's quite Toronto-centric and out of touch with quebec, so often irrelevant for those of us here - sports section is as much a joke as Le Devoir too if your into that. But best politics & ecomony paper out there and excellently written.

Likening the Gazette & Star to the JdM is quite out there. You may not like them and that's fair (personally, I find the Gazette too montreal anglo-centric and unbalanced, for example.) But they're nowhere in the league of the JdM in terms of journalism. The real equivalent to the tabloid style of JdM is the Toronto Sun. JdM is decent for sports though, although again, Sports are hardly journalism - neither is it journalism in La Presse. I stand with what I said, La Presse is in the same class as the Gazette & Star - although you may prefer one of them because of slant or depth of subsections like sports (I take La Presse over those 2 to read any day). But definitely not "best newspaper in the country".
The Globe is the best in the country followed by La Presse. I would put Le Journal and The Gazette at the same level.

Old
03-06-2007, 08:31 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Heard a clip of Gagnon saying "The Russian paper Football-Hockey is a renound publication!"

Dude, it's a tabloid! It's about as credible of me writing a blog about how I saw Gagnon snort a few lines in the bathroom of the Bell Centre.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 08:35 AM
TheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Dude, it's a tabloid! It's about as credible of me writing a blog about how I saw Gagnon snort a few lines in the bathroom of the Bell Centre.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 08:42 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Gagnon is on 990 right now and he's sounding VERY bush league.

He was talking to PJ and he's like "On Saturday, in Boston, YOUR GREAT CITY BOSTON!!!" all sarcastically. I mean what is that?

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:12 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Heard a clip of Gagnon saying "The Russian paper Football-Hockey is a renound publication!"

Waffle, have you read this morning's transcript of the emails sent by the reporter?

Get a grip of yourself. Get some sleep of something, because what you're writing right now makes no sense.

I guess you're well versed in russian culture and you can assure us all here that the transcripts are a scam and that the weekly in question has no credibility?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:21 AM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Le Devoir is the most biased newpaper in Quebec, they have some good writers but none are the level of Pierre Foglia. It's also a very limited journal, it's a good complement but they lack a lot of stuff.

I really like the Globe but I can't see what they have more than La Presse, both have very good columnists, "chroniques", politic and international coverage. I can't beleive you put La Presse in the same League than The Gazette and The Star. Those are English versions of The Journal de Montreal.
That someone would put "Good Writer" and Pierre Foglia in the same sentence is really disturbing. Foglia is the most nauseating writer in Quebec. This guy is a hired mercenary sent by the good friends of the liberal to take a dump on every word coming out of the separatist movement in quebec.

Le Devoir is also quite biased, but nowhere close to the level of Pierre Foglia.

PockIsGoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD View Post
That someone would put "Good Writer" and Pierre Foglia in the same sentence is really disturbing. Foglia is the most nauseating writer in Quebec. This guy is a hired mercenary sent by the good friends of the liberal to take a dump on every word coming out of the separatist movement in quebec.

Le Devoir is also quite biased, but nowhere close to the level of Pierre Foglia.
As far as i know Foglia is sovergnist

I don't even like the guy, but he is one of the best writers in Quebec...

LeMAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Doctor House

Quote:

Foglia is one of the most talented Quebec writers/journalists out there but he's a loose cannon most of the time and La Presse give him a lot of latitude. He's not Liberal at all - he just hates the PQ as much as the Liberals.

Le Devoir - leftist/elitist gauche caviar paper

The Gazette - Anglophone - insipid- serving an aging demographic

JdM- Sensationalist

La Presse - Most balance all around (except the Sports guys)

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:38 AM
LeMAD

Quote:

Jean Dion >>>>>>> Jesus

let alone Foglia...

Old
03-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:

Voyons donc. You never read Foglia for saying such a thing. You can say that about Dubuc or Piche but not about Foglia. Should we also say that Tremblay and Payette are hired mercenaries sent by the good friends of the PQ and that Josee Legault is also a hired mercenary, at The Gazette, paid by the PQ (she used to work for the PQ/Landry)????

Old
03-06-2007, 09:42 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Foglia is one of the most talented Quebec writers/journalists out there but he's a loose cannon most of the time and La Presse give him a lot of latitude. He's not Liberal at all - he just hates the PQ as much as the Liberals.

Le Devoir - leftist/elitist gauche caviar paper

The Gazette - Anglophone - insipid- serving an aging demographic

JdM- Sensationalist

La Presse - Most balance all around (except the Sports guys)
I like La Presse, but any paper with André Pratt, Alain Dubuc and Lisianne Gagnon cannot be classified as balanced, or good actually...

Old
03-06-2007, 09:51 AM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Voyons donc. You never read Foglia for saying such a thing. You can say that about Dubuc or Piche but not about Foglia. Should we also say that Tremblay and Payette are hired mercenaries sent by the good friends of the PQ and that Josee Legault is also a hired mercenary, at The Gazette, paid by the PQ (she used to work for the PQ/Landry)????
Well, no offense, but before switching to IT, I did human science in Cepep. We had to suscribe to La Presse in our Politic Class. I read several of his column and hated them all due to his ultra-biased opinion. Of course, this is all a matter of taste and opinion, and, in my opinion, Foglia is nauseating.

PockIsGoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Kafka

Believe what you want to believe.... but you can check by yourself. Before it went out, someone (who was at the press conference yesterday) called Matthias Brunet to tell him this journal was just on internet and had no credibility. It appears however that it is printed in over 100000 copies and is read by over 300000 persons.

La Presse has too much to lose with that news: if it was untruth, they would have not publish it.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Kafka

I invite everyone to read today's articles in La Presse related to the topic and underlying some of the hockey club practices:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../6527/CPSPORTS

Anyway guys, I can't wait for Thursday's game. Kovalev will just destroy Atlanta.

Old
03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Habnot

I listened to Gagnon on the Team 990 on my way in to work this morning. I also have lost some respect for Gagnon because I am convinced that in the end, it was a hatchet job on Kovalev. To call someone a liar and then not be able to produce the damning evidence is absurd. He could of said that Kovalev might be hiding something, not being totally honest and everyone might agree. But the attack on Kovalev was based on personal hatred for the individual. If anyone saw 110% last night you got an impression of the hate of the person, not only the player.

You can dislike a player for his on ice performance, his interaction with teammates, but when you start attacking the individual you have stepped over the line. La Presse/Brunet/Gagnon have done this and now are producing all this "evidence" to cover up. Stock was great this morning asking how a russian journalist whom they never met gets the benefit of the doubt over Kovalev. No answer from Gagnon except to lecture us on how russian journalists are persecuted and how the Russian mob has made threatening phone calls to Brunet. Talk about changing the subject.

Final thought, I loved how Villeneuve and others on 110% thought it was ok for the majority of francophone players to make like difficult for Kost and Grabs on the Bulldogs. Come-on 12 to 2, it's perfectly normal to mistreat the Euro's.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Well, no offense, but before switching to IT, I did human science in Cepep. We had to suscribe to La Presse in our Politic Class. I read several of his column and hated them all due to his ultra-biased opinion. Of course, this is all a matter of taste and opinion, and, in my opinion, Foglia is nauseating.
He is one of the best, if not the best columnist in Quebec. I have been reading La Presse for over 20 years and counting!

Old
03-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Kafka

The evidence about his lie is that on Sathurday night, he said he didn't even gave an interview to this journalist... and since part of the interview was available on the russian website, the evidence was obvious so he had to confirm he gave the interview.

Why did he first lie if he had nothing to hide?