Notices

The Hockey News Top 15 Goalie Prospects

Old
03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
lostbruinfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vibesman View Post
He was expected to put up very mediocre #s on a non-playoff team? Wow. Expectations are lower in Toronto than I thought.

I actually agree with you that it's too early to call the trade a solid win for the Bs.
As much as Raycroft is disliked by many here, he has been better than mediocre.
He is not in the class of Brodeur or in the top 10 of goalies but he isn't as bad as many here feel. Their problem is he had the nerve to turn his back on the "beloved"
Black and Gold. That story has been beaten to death and I wish not to return to it.
That said I do hope that Rask is the real deal because I would like to see the B's return to contender and not outsider anymore.

lostbruinfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbruinfan View Post
Why wouldn't they? While not in the 8th spot. Toronto has much better goaltending than they did last year. Raycroft has had some bad games but mostly has done the job expected of him. Again if we are talking about the same thing here and Rask is what he is advertised as then Boston has made an absolutely great trade. But until that happens we can only speculate.
It was a risky move by JFJ. He expected Raycroft to solve their goaltending problems and return to his rookie season form (or at least close to that). While he hasn't been as bad as last year he definitely hasn't rebounded to even close to the Calder Cup form.

We can't decide which one won the trade yet, but it surely doesn't look good from the Leafs perspective while it does look good for the Bruins. This is a potential steal (depending on how Rask will perform in the NHL of course).

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 08:51 AM
lostbruinfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
It was a risky move by JFJ. He expected Raycroft to solve their goaltending problems and return to his rookie season form (or at least close to that). While he hasn't been as bad as last year he definitely hasn't rebounded to even close to the Calder Cup form.

We can't decide which one won the trade yet, but it surely doesn't look good from the Leafs perspective while it does look good for the Bruins. This is a potential steal (depending on how Rask will perform in the NHL of course).
Even I didn't think he would return to his rookie year form, due to the fact it's now a different league and more offensive minded. But I figured he would be better than he showed last year( it would have been hard to be worse). Believe me all the hype about Rask has me very eager to see him here next season in the B's system.

lostbruinfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
Think the situation via this scenario: B never traded Raycroft anywhere, he got his chances to bounce back due to Hannu's below mediocre play- but kept on sucking due to even worse feeling of organisation not having full confindence in him and pure hate from the fans. In the end he was back as a third stringer eating popcorn. His trade value would have gone so down that no team would have given a 5th round choice for him.

IMO Bruins did not lose in this trade anything, but it is yet unknown that how the deal turns out to be in the Maple Leafs' point of view.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 10:48 AM
MadDagoBU

I'll be interested to watch the continued improvement of John Curry.

He's a guy who's improved drastically from his freshman year (never played) to his sophomore year (emerged as the clear number one, but not a guy who would necessarily steal games) to his junior year (showed that he could stand on his head, but still had some positional difficulties and some bad rebound tendencies) to this year (best player in Hockey East and a guy who's been the main reason BU doesn't look like they're underachieving).

Obviously, Johnny doesn't have the pedigree of the drafted guys. He was a project coming into BU, but has turned into an unbelievable goalie. I'm just not sure how that will translate into the pros. I'd think he'll get at least an AHL tryout contract after the season if he wants to jump right into the pros.

He's a pretty athletic kid, and his constant improvement leads me to believe he hasn't reached his ceiling. Every year, I thought he had, and every year he got a lot better.

MadDagoBU is offline   Reply With Quote