HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz out as coach - Hired in Washington

Old
04-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Bad Karma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Great message from trotz... Saw it because the mother in law said "there's an ad from trues in the paper".... Sigh

He would be great in Washington IMO and Ovy would thrive.
Ovi is a coach killer and pretty much uncoachable.. Nice try.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Trotz gets back in the POs before the Preds - I'll put up an overpriced Bridgestone beer on it.
Trotz wins the cup before the Preds

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Predarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Trotz wins the cup before the Preds
Not if GM Polly gets the door shown to him after next season.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
Not if GM Polly gets the door shown to him after next season.
So they fire Poile next, how will that turn this team in to a champion team? They would have to scrap almost all of our Forwards. No GM will be able to do that in any reasonable amount of time. By this time, Rinne and Weber will be close to retirement if not already retired. I just don't see this team as even potential champions in the next decade.

Old
04-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
So they fire Poile next, how will that turn this team in to a champion team? They would have to scrap almost all of our Forwards. No GM will be able to do that in any reasonable amount of time. By this time, Rinne and Weber will be close to retirement if not already retired. I just don't see this team as even potential champions in the next decade.
Because we've been or are a Championship team at any time in the past 15 years ? ... Suter's last season here was our best year and we ****ed that chemistry up big time

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:32 PM
thunderchief1994

Quote:
Sad day. I am now willing to bet this team is a non-playoff team next season.
I posted Barry's farewell letter on my Ranger board. Not HF but another board.
Everyone there gave a thumbs up to a class act.

Most coaches blow town in the middle of the night and Barry puts a full page in the newspaper. Wow, chokes me up and I'm not even part of your Preds group.

Like you said, SAD!

thunderchief1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Because we've been or are a Championship team at any time in the past 15 years ? ... Suter's last season here was our best year and we ****ed that chemistry up big time
I didn't say we were a championship team. All I originally said was that I bet Trotz gets a Cup before the Preds do. Then a comment was said, not if Poile is shown the door next year. I don't see how Poile getting shown the door next year gets the Preds the Cup any sooner than Trotz.

And I believe Trotz gets it before this team because that's how good of a coach I feel he is. He just didn't have much to work with here these last few years outside of Weber and Rinne.

Old
04-22-2014, 02:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it's very likely Trotz can end up on a high budget team with tons of established offensive players that will allow him to add the structure they need to make the playoffs.

I don't buy the "he never had talent here" excuses though. Those Sullivan, Dumont, Radulov, Kariya, Hartnell teams had loads of talent.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think it's very likely Trotz can end up on a high budget team with tons of established offensive players that will allow him to add the structure they need to make the playoffs.

I don't buy the "he never had talent here" excuses though. Those Sullivan, Dumont, Radulov, Kariya, Hartnell teams had loads of talent.
Every year teams with loads of talent don't make the finals.

Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim all have loads of talent, yet only 1 can make the finals, only 2 can go on to round 2. Alot depends on matchup.

Old
04-22-2014, 02:19 PM
glenngineer

Quote:

Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim all have loads of talent, yet only 1 can make the finals, only 2 can go on to round 2. Alot depends on matchup.
It also depends on how bad the guys on your team want it and also how adaptable your coach is to the team you're playing. San Jose ate us for breakfast two years in a row. We brought in Arnott to match up size against Thornton but that didn't work. We had defensive breakdowns in those series along with untimely penalties which killed us. We also got Forsberg and paired him with Fiddler, Vernon f'in Fiddler. What?

The other thing that's always killed us in the playoffs is we've never had a goalie get hot for us. While that isn't the be all end of it for a great playoff run, it certainly doesn't hurt either.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 02:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

His 2 most talented teams had how many playoff wins? They weren't even competitive.

Old
04-22-2014, 07:33 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
This is so true it's not even funny. It's also the reason why every one of the original six teams won at least one title between WWII and the expansion era - and why MON and TOR won multiple times.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 09:01 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
His 2 most talented teams had how many playoff wins? They weren't even competitive.
thats just not factual.

yeah, losing a series 4-1 sounds like it wasn't close but in 2007 the 1st game in Nashville was a 5-4 loss in OT, then we dominate game 2 and win 5-2 but are victimized by the bullspit fake concussion that costs us Radulov for game 3, which we lose 3-1.

games 4 and five were both 3-2 losses.

that was an extremely frustrating but nonetheless competitive series in which almost all the bounces went against us.

and the first sharks series in 2006 was just horrible luck on our part…as much as I like Mason, I think if Vokoun had been playing that would have been a different series…

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
thats just not factual.

yeah, losing a series 4-1 sounds like it wasn't close but in 2007 the 1st game in Nashville was a 5-4 loss in OT, then we dominate game 2 and win 5-2 but are victimized by the bullspit fake concussion that costs us Radulov for game 3, which we lose 3-1.

games 4 and five were both 3-2 losses.

that was an extremely frustrating but nonetheless competitive series in which almost all the bounces went against us.

and the first sharks series in 2006 was just horrible luck on our part…as much as I like Mason, I think if Vokoun had been playing that would have been a different series…
There's adversity every year on every team in the playoffs. Trotz 2 most talented teams were a combined, 2-8. Again, that's not competitive.

Old
04-23-2014, 09:25 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
There's adversity every year on every team in the playoffs. Trotz 2 most talented teams were a combined, 2-8. Again, that's not competitive.
we will have to agree to disagree on what "competitive" means then....

if you lose every game in overtime, you get swept but were you not competitive?

Old
04-23-2014, 10:45 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If you can't win a single game in 4 games then no, you're not competitive.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Byrddog

To insinuate Trotz teams were not competitive is an argument that holds no water. The initial years they became competitive. While not burning up the league they became competitive like it or not by Trotz system. If his teams were blown out on a consistent basis there may be some traction but that has not been the case, in fact it is quite the opposite.

If the definition of consistent s making it past round two in the playoffs every year then I suppose Trotz is inconsistent. The teams offense is in shambles right now but putting the blame on Trotz or his system for not being competitive??? This week the Blue Jackets on there first playoff game EVER. It is just amazing how some think its just easy to have a team formed and go out and win the division, conference and the cup in just a few years. This fanbase is spoiled and expect chicken**** to be turned into chicken soup on a daily basis.

It was time for a coaching change as a franchise there's not much argument there. And some of you are fooling yourself if you think another coach is going to come in here and turn the current offensive plugs into a team that will make the playoffs and make the conference finals as to your "competitive" definition.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Preds33

Quote:
If you can't win a single game in 4 games then no, you're not competitive.
So are the Kings not competitive this year?

Old
04-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
So are the Kings not competitive this year?
I thought Tampa was pretty competitive this year..

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
To insinuate Trotz teams were not competitive is an argument that holds no water. The initial years they became competitive. While not burning up the league they became competitive like it or not by Trotz system. If his teams were blown out on a consistent basis there may be some traction but that has not been the case, in fact it is quite the opposite.

If the definition of consistent s making it past round two in the playoffs every year then I suppose Trotz is inconsistent. The teams offense is in shambles right now but putting the blame on Trotz or his system for not being competitive??? This week the Blue Jackets on there first playoff game EVER. It is just amazing how some think its just easy to have a team formed and go out and win the division, conference and the cup in just a few years. This fanbase is spoiled and expect chicken**** to be turned into chicken soup on a daily basis.

It was time for a coaching change as a franchise there's not much argument there. And some of you are fooling yourself if you think another coach is going to come in here and turn the current offensive plugs into a team that will make the playoffs and make the conference finals as to your "competitive" definition.
That's not at all what I said but good job trying to twist it.

I said his top 2 teams talent wise were not competitive in the playoffs. 1-4, and 1-4 back my opinion on that. Now in the individual games they were competitive but overall on those 2 playoffs they were not competitive.

Competing to me means you had a chance to win. In a best of 7, we won one game both years, loss 4.

In the regular season, we were the hardest working team in the league most nights, and that's a huge kudos to Trotz, his teams hustled and stayed locked into his system from start to finish. He was a true leader as a coach. The overall compete level of the team was fine during regular seasons.

I'd just think we should have made it deeper than the 2nd round at least once.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Byrddog

Theres no argument there. We would all like to see them go deeper. But youi know that playoff hockey is a step above regular season and historically Poile has not provided the firepower on offense to remain competitive in the playoffs. Yes Sully Dumont Armott Kayria and a damaged Peter Forsberg was an effort. And yes I think that year they should have went further.

I think ownership went the wrong direction firing Trotz before DP. Not saying give Trotz a pass but Poile needed to be replaced before Trotz. And unless they wanted to blow the whole thing up and start over its too dangerous to fire both coach and GM in the same year. So here we set with the root problem still in the drivers seat. I think Poile did a great job building the team from scratch, he has had he moments of glory as well. But If the club wants to go in another direction removing a pretty dang good coach and leaving the guy that makes the player decisions is fruitless. Keeping Trotz and DP together the team would have made it back to playoffs in a couple years but remain to be no more than a second round team.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:20 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
I thought Tampa was pretty competitive this year..
Anyone see that sweep by the Habs and think, "My God, the Bolts; that was us like, three-four years ago"?

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Anyone see that sweep by the Habs and think, "My God, the Bolts; that was us like, three-four years ago"?
no... because we had no Stamkos...

Old
04-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Lindback was pretty mediocre made the Habs look like the Blakhawks. Losing ST Louis is going to cost the Bolts long term. But Stamkos is very special.

Old
04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm on the fence with Poile. I'm still think somewhere one of these offensive players should have developed beyond Legwand and Erat. Even with Washington he was able to find and develop Bondra.