HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Maclean's comment re: French refs

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2014, 10:13 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Ron Maclean's comment re: French refs

I realize the other guys on the panel to their credit shut him down right away but I found him to be really out of line. I spend a lot of time teaching my students about Canada, the Charter and language rights and for him to insinuate that a Québécois ref working a Habs game looks bad is a slap in the face to the whole country. Never would have ever mentioned a Boston ref doing a game in Boston or an Ontario ref working a Leafs game. It will certainly get brushed aside or dismissed, but it really shouldn't.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I realize the other guys on the panel to their credit shut him down right away but I found him to be really out of line. I spend a lot of time teaching my students about Canada, the Charter and language rights and for him to insinuate that a Québécois ref working a Habs game looks bad is a slap in the face to the whole country. Never would have ever mentioned a Boston ref doing a game in Boston or an Ontario ref working a Leafs game. It will certainly get brushed aside or dismissed, but it really shouldn't.
I hope some Gazette columnist pulls up the data on Toronto refs doing Leaf games... Would love to see how often that has happened.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Habs

Quote:
If his ball-lapping buddies had any guts, they would have commented on it a little bit more.... Does doofus Ron think it's ok to have English only ref's coaching Toronto games? Isn't that a conflict?

Old
04-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Uber Coca

It really shows how much people can lack judgement and sound uneducated, even on television.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:19 PM
coolasprICE

Ron Maclean is a pervert looking doosh

Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I used to like MacLean before he started giving his opinion on things. He should just focus on hosting.

Can't wait till strombo comes into the fold. Hnic is stale, and all of these guys seem bitter about about their upcoming fate.

Old
SherbrookeW

It was a deeply bigoted and really inexcusable comment: the clear implication was that Quebecois are somehow more emotional or biased than other Canadians. Otherwise, why is it alright for an Ontario referee to do Leaf games. Imagine an American announcer stating that you shouldn't have an African-American referee working an NFL game with Russell Wilson Or Michael Vick playing. It would end his career. It was truly noxious, and the CBC owes Canadians a response.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:20 PM
onice

Quote:
Maybe we should all write a letter to the CBC.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Ron Maclean is a pervert looking doosh
Sometimes, I wonder how friedman puts up with all these morons around him.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:22 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
It's two fold for me. First is he insinuating québécois refs in the NHL are not as trustworthy. Second, in his eyes does he believe that this league has American refs, Canadian refs and French refs? Like I said it is a giant step backwards for the country as a whole to put that distinction out there.

Old
sheed36

I missed the segment since I was watching the Wings/Bruins game. Disappointing that the guys at CBC would even bring such a thing up.

Old
Andy

Guys to be fair, his statement was a little more nuanced than presented here.

He said that after what happened in game 3, he questions whether or not a french ref should have been given game 4.

He's still an idiot for what he said, but he didn't say that french refs shouldn't be reffing in Montreal.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:26 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Sometimes, I wonder how friedman puts up with all these morons around him.
He's learning to handle it from Subban..

Old
04-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Habs

Quote:
It's two fold for me. First is he insinuating québécois refs in the NHL are not as trustworthy. Second, in his eyes does he believe that this league has American refs, Canadian refs and French refs? Like I said it is a giant step backwards for the country as a whole to put that distinction out there.
For the country? lol, give it a rest.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:27 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

He said that after what happened in game 3, he questions whether or not a french ref should have been given game 4.

He's still an idiot for what he said, but he didn't say that french refs shouldn't be reffing in Montreal.
Yeah, the outrage is a bit much.

Ron's a great host and an asset to HNIC. This was clearly part of the chosen-upon narrative to play up the drama of the series.

We swept the ****ing Lightning, we're giving them nothing to dissect or talk about. Think about it pragmatically - they need talking points but we're too good and the Bolts too bad for any worthwhile arguments.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:28 PM
CrazyShea

I was surprised to hear Ron say something so stupid on the air he is usually the voice of reason with the idiots he works with but was definitely out of line here

Old
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
In a way it's a compliment, Maclean is saying the Habs are quotidian Québec with a local resonance deeper than other NHL franchises. Outsiders look at the Habs and see a culture/religion it's at least partly the pregame ceremonies responsible for this impression

and what chris lee? habs were 3-13 when he refs.

Old
Sebaldian

Quote:

This is the way I saw it as well. Ridiculous conversation that should never have happened though, aside from pointing out how stupid it is as a controversy.

Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yeah, the outrage is a bit much.

Ron's a great host and an asset to HNIC. This was clearly part of the chosen-upon narrative to play up the drama of the series.

We swept the ****ing Lightning, we're giving them nothing to dissect or talk about. Think about it pragmatically - they need talking points but we're too good and the Bolts too bad for any worthwhile arguments.
There doesn't need to be controversy or arguments. They could just lick our balls instead for a change.

Old
MasterD

Quote:

He's still saying that he thinks french speaking refs are partial to the Habs... as if an english speaking montrealer ref couldn't be. Or, the opposite way, couldn't english speaking refs be partial
AGAINST montreal, according this this "logic"? He should have kept his mouth shut.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Ron's a great host and an asset to HNIC.
Come on dude, I appreciate tradition but Ron's best days are over. He's a mumbling old geek.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Saintpatrick

I'm going to do a happy dance when HNIC bites the dust and that idiot is out of a job.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:32 PM
angry pirate

You guys are missing the context here. He wasn't saying, or even intending to imply, that French refs would be biased towards Montreal at all in Game 4. Step back for a second, and try not to be looking to get offended by something at every opportunity.

How often do we have to put up with rival fans claiming that our Habs get biased officiating when playing in Montreal. Hint, it's often. Even when posters take the time to show them stats proving otherwise, it gets repeated, and repeated.

Now amplify that by 100 for the playoffs. Add in a controversial (even though as usual, it shoudn't be) call in game 3. Not only are you putting a French ref in a situation that reeks of failure, you're giving the moronic another soapbox to stand on after the Habs won. The optics for the NHL wouldn't have been good.

Now imagine that a French ref had to make, or mistakenly makes a controversial call in game 4. He's going to be crucified, regardless of if the call was correct.

Ron wasn't being bigoted towards french refs, he just understands the implications the league could face, and the dialogue that fans and some media would create should something have happened. Business wise, it would be a smart move by the NHL to do whatever than can to needlessly avoid controversy. Even if we all know said controversy shouldn't exist.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Randomhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
You guys are missing the context here. He wasn't saying, or even intending to imply, that French refs would be biased towards Montreal at all in Game 4. Step back for a second, and try not to be looking to get offended by something at every opportunity.

How often do we have to put up with rival fans claiming that our Habs get biased officiating when playing in Montreal. Hint, it's often. Even when posters take the time to show them stats proving otherwise, it gets repeated, and repeated.

Now amplify that by 100 for the playoffs. Add in a controversial (even though as usual, it shoudn't be) call in game 3. Not only are you putting a French ref in a situation that reeks of failure, you're giving the moronic another soapbox to stand on after the Habs won. The optics for the NHL wouldn't have been good.

Now imagine that a French ref had to make, or mistakenly makes a controversial call in game 4. He's going to be crucified, regardless of if the call was correct.

Ron wasn't being bigoted towards french refs, he just understands the implications the league could face, and the dialogue that fans and some media would create should something have happened. Business wise, it would be a smart move by the NHL to do whatever than can to needlessly avoid controversy. Even if we all know said controversy shouldn't exist.
After rewatching the segment, I agree with this. He should have taken more time to clarify his stance on the matter, imo. I misunderstood what he was trying to get at initially.

Last edited by Randomhero: 04-22-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old
04-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Hes a hab hater, did you hear his comment a week or two ago about too much of the habs since george S has come on board. Suck it ron, you and cherry shouldn't have had your last contract renewed let alone extended.

Closed Thread