HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La Presse, a serious newspaper?

Old
03-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Believe what you want to believe.... but you can check by yourself. Before it went out, someone (who was at the press conference yesterday) called Matthias Brunet to tell him this journal was just on internet and had no credibility. It appears however that it is printed in over 100000 copies and is read by over 300000 persons.

La Presse has too much to lose with that news: if it was untruth, they would have not publish it.
That person is the russian journalist following the team and he is based in Montreal. He happens to be a very close "friend" of Marc DeFoy...that's the reason CKAC and La Presse are not mentionning his name.

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 10:23 AM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
He is one of the best, if not the best columnist in Quebec. I have been reading La Presse for over 20 years and counting!
If you think he is the best, that's cool! But for me, I can't stand him, just like I can't stand Pratte or Bertrand Raymond. Even tho mentionning Raymond in the same sentence as Pratte and Foglia is an insult to two very good columnist.

There are some writers I can'T stand, but I do agree Foglia is very catchy with his colored way to write. He is interesting, but very nauseating.

PockIsGoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 10:23 AM
zednik20

it's pretty sad that La Presse have to go to Russia to have some news...pretty pathetic newspaper...

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Believe what you want to believe.... but you can check by yourself. Before it went out, someone (who was at the press conference yesterday) called Matthias Brunet to tell him this journal was just on internet and had no credibility. It appears however that it is printed in over 100000 copies and is read by over 300000 persons.

La Presse has too much to lose with that news: if it was untruth, they would have not publish it.
Excuse my naivety, but you make it sound the newspapers/reporters, even reputable ones, never fabricate stories. If anyone has followed the Iraq war knows that the most reputable paper in the world, the NY Times, was caught deceiving its readership about WMD's. They had to publish retractions for the behavior of some of their reporters.

Also, if you don't think LaPresse had something to gain, you don't understand the cutthroat nature of the newspaper business. It's about circulation and this story sells papers, period. Other news sources had the same information but chose not to go with it. It says volume when the Journal had this info and chose not to go with it.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Kafka

If you where on this board on Friday, you would already know everything about this story. I translated part of it on Friday afternoon using babelfish. Since babelfish isn't a sure source, I expected a thruth russian to translate it: babelfish didn't misled me, what I read on Friday was what was in the news on Saturday.

LaPresse has an enormous credibility and wouldn't risk it's credibility on a hockey player (why would it do so). Just go figure out how les Canadiens would react if they got the tapes: <Well, it seems indeed Kovalev said all those things, but considering we are trying to get a playoff spot, considering he cost us 4,5M$ and mainly because we can't trade him now, he will stick to the lineup for the rest of the season.> DO you really think the press would agree with that?

Now, Kovalev knows that all his teamates know the thruth, including Carbonneau, and he will not get the chance to float in a single game untill the end of the season. That's what is so great about this news getting out now: there is now a really slight chance we make the playoffs. However, if I am wrong, forget it, and forget about Kovalev for 07-08 in Montreal.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post

I'd like to know if Kovalev has been interviewed by this person before. Judging by the tone of the questions it almost seems like two old chums are having a talk. It probably made for a good read for those in Russia who lament over the "unfair" treatment of their own in North American hockey.
I remember reading that she has interviewed Kovalev after pretty much every game during the Turin olympics.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:55 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

How come they claimed they "had the tapes" yesterday, but today say they don't have them anymore?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

True or not, La Presse deserves some heat for being real stupid. Don't you know that Kovalev would either say he was misquoted or even never said any of it? Instead of going to him first, wouldn't you get all the proof you need and then confront him?

Did they lose some reputation over this? Absolutely. For reporting this article, maybe not, but for not taking every precaution when Kovalev's response was so obvious.

They should've get the tapes at the beginning of all this. Give Kovalev the chance of coming clean and if not, roll them.....

Now, they are all frustrated 'cause the version changed, and the tape is nowhere to be found, well La Presse, you deserve it.

I still believe he said it, but I still believe La Presse look like a fool as well.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:02 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
How come they claimed they "had the tapes" yesterday, but today say they don't have them anymore?
Liar, liar, pants on fire!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD View Post
That someone would put "Good Writer" and Pierre Foglia in the same sentence is really disturbing. Foglia is the most nauseating writer in Quebec. This guy is a hired mercenary sent by the good friends of the liberal to take a dump on every word coming out of the separatist movement in quebec.

Le Devoir is also quite biased, but nowhere close to the level of Pierre Foglia.
Foglia is a leftist separatist, he's at the opposite of the PLQ. And no mather his opinions (on which i pretty much never agree) he's an exceptional writer. He can talk about a cat for a whole "chronique" and will still be interesting.

Anyway I don't get the heat for La Presse. They got confirmation from the journalist that did the interview and the newspaper and the article are real. Even if the journalist made up everything I don't see how they were supposed to know.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Foglia is a leftist separatist, he's at the opposite of the PLQ. And no mather his opinions (on which i pretty much never agree) he's an exceptional writer. He can talk about a cat for a whole "chronique" and will still be interesting.
He is a leftist but no a separatist. I have his book about Le Tour de France....very good work, if you don't have it, run to buy it!!!

Quote:
Anyway I don't get the heat for La Presse. They got confirmation from the journalist that did the interview and the newspaper and the article are real. Even if the journalist made up everything I don't see how they were supposed to know.
That's the problem with the story. La Presse could have checked with russians journalists to learn more about the website/newspaper before going with the story.

Old
03-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
That's the problem with the story. La Presse could have checked with russians journalists to learn more about the website/newspaper before going with the story.

Even if it's not a very serious newspaper, there is a huge difference between sensasionalism and publishing fake interviews. I can't think of a newspaper in NA that would make up an interview, even National Inquier.

Also the interview was the copy of a radio interview, considering that the readers of the newspaper have access to that radio, the chances that it's fake were quite slim.

With the info they had, I think they were right to publish it.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
mcphee

Quote:
He is a leftist but no a separatist. I have his book about Le Tour de France....very good work, if you don't have it, run to buy it!!!

I don't read La Presse or Le J de M unless I'm in the city and there's an extra one by the trays in a fast food restaurant, so I'll rely on your opinions here.

Doesn't it seem that there are too many formed opinions, with writers just looking for ways to confirm them ? That's what leads to shoddy work.

If I think poster X is a jerk, I can ignore valid posts waiting for something stupid to pounce on.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Even if it's not a very serious newspaper, there is a huge difference between sensasionalism and publishing fake interviews. I can't think of a newspaper in NA that would make up an interview, even National Inquier.

Also the interview was the copy of a radio interview, considering that the readers of the newspaper have access to that radio, the chances that it's fake were quite slim.

I know! But I am just saying that it would have added MORE values to the whole thing.

Old
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Pere Noel

La Presse didn't do its job

LaPresse put themselves at the mercy of a remote russian journalist.

That journalist claimed that they had an audio, that was matching what was written regarding Kovalev.

Never did they ask to listen to it before publishing their story... they only believe dthe journalist when supposedly, would have said that the article was conform to what Kovalev had said.

That's way too overlying on one individual.

As ex hockey player Dominic Roussel suggest, the source is questionable.
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/224720.html
Also, ultimately, nothing prevents that she would have been manipulated/paid by an external organization to make up that story and withdraw her version once harm was made, and claim that none of that happened.

LaPresse didn't do its job.

But what's worst, is that they don't take any responsability... They should have asked for the audio as opposed to blindly believe that russian journalist.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Faked news stories have been printed in newspapers. Usually this occurred because the editors did not fact check the material before publication. Eventually the truth gets out and the reporter is dismissed. Sometimes the editors are forced to resign because they permitted the fakery to occur. Among the newspapers victimized by unscrupulous journalists is The New York Times, probably the leading newspaper in North America.

There have been numerous instances in which athletes from various sports have claimed to be misquoted. Sometimes the athlete's claim is dishonest and sometimes it's not. Newspapers are highly competitive and sports writers in particular are tempted to go over the top because readers aren't satisfied with bare reporting of the results, which they can get from game summaries. Sports fans, like news junkies, want the behind-the-scenes dirt, so that's what they often get even though it's unsubstantiated. A constant subsurface theme is the use of steroids and/or recreational drugs. Who could imagine that a baldness remedy would get so much ink?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD View Post
That someone would put "Good Writer" and Pierre Foglia in the same sentence is really disturbing. Foglia is the most nauseating writer in Quebec. This guy is a hired mercenary sent by the good friends of the liberal to take a dump on every word coming out of the separatist movement in quebec.

Le Devoir is also quite biased, but nowhere close to the level of Pierre Foglia.
What a weird comment. You may not like Foglia, but many readers think that Foglia is not only a good writer, but the best in the business, and maybe the only writer in Québec who is able to sell a newspaper by himself. And the link to the political scene is weird too; Foglia talks about sports, cats, books, all kind of things... Linking his career only to politics is incorrect.

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Duster

Quote:

No newspaper in its right mind would make up a story? You should read more newspapers. Why do you think so many of them get sued for libel? Didn't this sort of thing happen to Ribs last year?

Not sure what you use as comparison, but there is no doubt that La Presse has taken a dramatic drop in quality over the years. To say otherwise is simply parochial.

The truth is that Gagnon, especially, couldn't wait to find something or anything to confirm and validate his prejudices. To be fair, the ultimate decision to go after Kovalev and Gainey rested with the editor. From the latter's perspective, it sells newpapers and it's easy enough to backtrack if it backfires by saying that once unimpeachable sources are now less that truthful or claim a cover up, as is the case right now. As someone else pointed out, there is no media watchdog in Quebec so you can get away with this sort of thing with relative impunity. There are numerous examples in Quebec newspapers outside of sports where this occurs.

One more thing. You can be sure NHL UFAs to-be are paying close attention.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote