HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Maclean's comment re: French refs

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2014, 12:05 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
In the end it is good that the comments did not go unnoticed. The **** storm was quick and fierce. Good on Canadians for standing up.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

vCash: 500
His point actually made some sense when he clarified it. Bringing up francophone refs though was very stupid and it appears he realized that it was a dumb choice of words and he apologized.

It should be pointed out though that Charron is actually from Gatineau, QC and not from Montreal. That's a bit fuzzy though since you could say it is part of the Habs extended market rather than the Senators market, which it actually is geographically speaking.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:07 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
I don't see the big deal, he gave his opinion on how having a ref working a game in which the team from that ref's hometown is playing. I guess some people interpreted it as an attack on the "french" but I didn't take it that way.

Either way, he apologized and explained what he was saying so its a closed issue really. The media likes blowing things out of proportion, lets leave that to them
The problem isn't so much that they used French, it's that it's only with Montreal that they do complain when refs make mistakes. And when it's Montreal, they use the fact that some refs are from here. If it was something involving the Leafs, they would only say that the ref made a mistake, they wouldn't look up where he's from.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:08 AM
getyourselfsomerest

I didn't think MacLean's comments were meant to be offensive and taken the way people are taking it. He just said he doesn't think local refs should ref elimination games. Not because refs of a certain area are biased, but to mitigate any doubt of even refereeing. It's a valid issue, it just wasn't phrased properly. Ron's a professional and certainly doesn't deserve all the attacks.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Patccmoi

Good for him that he apologized. I still think it was incredibly moronic just to think of bringing that up as a subject, as if anything good could come out of it.

Hey, here's an idea, if you want to prevent people from feeling that a french ref is biased in Montreal, how about you take 2 minutes to present all the stats showing it's not true instead of saying they shouldn't put French refs in Montreal to prevent a controversy. Maybe if this gets repeated over and over instead of insinuating that their conspiration theories are true eventually mentality might change.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Guys to be fair, his statement was a little more nuanced than presented here.

He said that after what happened in game 3, he questions whether or not a french ref should have been given game 4.

He's still an idiot for what he said, but he didn't say that french refs shouldn't be reffing in Montreal.
Yes he did, he said French Refs shouldn't do games in Quebec, before signing off he also said Habs were fortunate. He insinuated French Refs aren't trust worthy to do games in Montreal. Funny how he never says anything about Ontario born refs doing leaf games.

He is such a ****** lately, he knows he won't have the helm any longer so he has been taking pot shots at Strom's habs.

Remember he said, ever since Strom is taking over, it's Habs all the time...that was about couple weeks ago.

Bitter old folks he and CHerry.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I realize the other guys on the panel to their credit shut him down right away but I found him to be really out of line. I spend a lot of time teaching my students about Canada, the Charter and language rights and for him to insinuate that a Québécois ref working a Habs game looks bad is a slap in the face to the whole country. Never would have ever mentioned a Boston ref doing a game in Boston or an Ontario ref working a Leafs game. It will certainly get brushed aside or dismissed, but it really shouldn't.
Man, I'm totally neutral here and IMHO you're overreacting here.

His comments were in no way racist, but were his mere opinion. There are thought processes behind picking referees for sports that are played on a huge stage (Soccer, Olympics etc.)

Why not for hockey?

Hockey matters to us in Canada. It absolutely does.

I don't think he distrusts French referees. He just wants protective measures before an issue gets magnified.

04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post

Hey, here's an idea, if you want to prevent people from feeling that a french ref is biased in Montreal, how about you take 2 minutes to present all the stats showing it's not true instead of saying they shouldn't put French refs in Montreal to prevent a controversy. Maybe if this gets repeated over and over instead of insinuating that their conspiration theories are true eventually mentality might change.
Yep. That would be the answer. Use the data to refute the claims.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:12 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post
The problem isn't so much that they used French, it's that it's only with Montreal that they do complain when refs make mistakes. And when it's Montreal, they use the fact that some refs are from here. If it was something involving the Leafs, they would only say that the ref made a mistake, they wouldn't look up where he's from.
I agree. This is the main issue. BUT I think the point is that fans tend to attack refs from Quebec for being biased and thus, the NHL should avoid assignments like this in elimination games not because the criticisms are true, just to make it as even as possible on the surface.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Ron back peddling makes it worst. Fact: He said French Refs shouldn't do games in Quebec, he didn't say "elimination games", nor did he say "Locals" he said French...the back peddling is gross,disgusting. Again, he said "Habs were fortunate" while signing off, very unprofessional.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:14 AM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
I didn't think MacLean's comments were meant to be offensive and taken the way people are taking it. He just said he doesn't think local refs should ref elimination games. Not because refs of a certain area are biased, but to mitigate any doubt of even refereeing. It's a valid issue, it just wasn't phrased properly. Ron's a professional and certainly doesn't deserve all the attacks.
Could he not have made that point without referring to the specific nationality of the refs?

I don't think anyone would be against the precepts of both acting in an objective manner and giving the appearance of objectivity -- it's at the very core of any job involving anyone in a coercive capacity.

Old
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

His comments were in no way racist, but were his mere opinion. There are thought processes behind picking referees for sports that are played on a huge stage (Soccer, Olympics etc.)

Why not for hockey?

I don't think he distrusts French referees. He just wants protective measures before an issue gets magnified.
Canadian ref in the Olympic gold medal game. Where was this discussion then?
Not racist by any means. Just came off as really ignorant.

Old
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Yep. That would be the answer. Use the data to refute the claims.
haha, what are they going to do? "Hey look! All our refs are bad! Not just the french ones!"

Old
04-23-2014, 12:16 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Quote:
Canadian ref in the Olympic gold medal game. Where was this discussion then?
Not racist by any means. Just came off as really ignorant.
He's saying maybe its time to think about all that.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:16 AM
RonFournier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
You guys are missing the context here. He wasn't saying, or even intending to imply, that French refs would be biased towards Montreal at all in Game 4. Step back for a second, and try not to be looking to get offended by something at every opportunity.

How often do we have to put up with rival fans claiming that our Habs get biased officiating when playing in Montreal. Hint, it's often. Even when posters take the time to show them stats proving otherwise, it gets repeated, and repeated.

Now amplify that by 100 for the playoffs. Add in a controversial (even though as usual, it shoudn't be) call in game 3. Not only are you putting a French ref in a situation that reeks of failure, you're giving the moronic another soapbox to stand on after the Habs won. The optics for the NHL wouldn't have been good.

Now imagine that a French ref had to make, or mistakenly makes a controversial call in game 4. He's going to be crucified, regardless of if the call was correct.

Ron wasn't being bigoted towards french refs, he just understands the implications the league could face, and the dialogue that fans and some media would create should something have happened. Business wise, it would be a smart move by the NHL to do whatever than can to needlessly avoid controversy. Even if we all know said controversy shouldn't exist.
He says on national TV that the NHL should remove a french ref from a game to please the bigots who believe french people can't be impartial, that's simply unacceptable. Imagine an NFL commentator saying the league should remove a black ref from a Detroit game (84.3% black) because racists fans will question his neutrality.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:17 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

I didn't take his comments as racist, he insinuated French Refs favor Habs as his statement signing off was "habs were fortunate" to get the call.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:18 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
He says on national TV that the NHL should remove a french ref from a game to please the bigots who believe french people can't be impartial, that's simply unacceptable. Imagine an NFL commentator saying the league should remove a black ref from a Detroit game (84.3% black) because racists fans will question his neutrality.
oh please. Does FIFA pick their refs to please the bigots who believe the refs would not be impartial?

Old
04-23-2014, 12:20 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
He's saying maybe its time to think about all that.
Tonight he decides that? Opens up a whole new discussion as to his anti-Habs bias.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Could he not have made that point without referring to the specific nationality of the refs?
Yes, that's exactly what he apologized about. He realized that he should not have brought up 'francophone' refs, simply refs from the home market of the teams playing. It was a dumb comment and not the first brain fart he's made over the years.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:22 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
haha, what are they going to do? "Hey look! All our refs are bad! Not just the french ones!"
Yep. See, they all suck. Chris Lee.. 4-20 against the Habs.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:22 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I agree. This is the main issue. BUT I think the point is that fans tend to attack refs from Quebec for being biased and thus, the NHL should avoid assignments like this in elimination games not because the criticisms are true, just to make it as even as possible on the surface.
Yes, but there's a way to say that and Ron MacLean failed at it.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:24 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Also, we're not FRENCH. At least, I don't see "République Française" on my passport.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Bob Lemoche

Quote:

Why not for hockey?

Yep. Toronto is well known for true neutrality concerning francophones prejudice.

As for Ron, why is it that I've never heard that concern voiced for any other NHL team and it's local referees but I've heard it a thousand times for franco refs and the Habs? The prejudice exists and it's really ugly. Like someone else has said, Ron would have never even thought of looking up where a referee was from if the disallowed goal was to the Leafs benefit and the ref was from Ontario.Ugly.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Haaabs

I think the only reason its easier to do the French refs <> Montreal argument than other teams is because of the ref's name being obviously French.

If you have an anglophone ref he could really be from anywhere in North America so nobody is even going to think of the "ref is bias for his hometown" argument unless they bother to look up the ref's birthplace.

Don't see why we should make a big deal out of this, Ron Maclean's been the voice of reason on HNIC for a long time. If you feel like he made a mistake whether in wording or whatever, he deserves a pass.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:26 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post
Yes, but there's a way to say that and Ron MacLean failed at it.
Yup, and apologized for it and explained what he meant. He said the wrong word and clearly feels bad about it.

Closed Thread