HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part III

Old
04-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Torgo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegalodonManiac View Post
Hey, you'll never catch me defending any of the assclown's that Faux Noise puts on American TV. I'll admit that there are a number of American's who take a dismissive attitude with regard to Canada. This is something I find offensive. Canadian blood spilt on Juno was every bit as red as American blood spilt on Omaha and Utah. Not a fan of Poutine. Anyway, its not DC's playing the clown that I find offensive, its his penchant for saying things that are an affront to those of other ethic, cultural or national origins. In the context of a sports broadcast, it just seems wrong to me.
Is it the taste, or the name being too close to Putin?

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:42 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Sich View Post
Cherry has also taken upon himself to educate young children about hockey in HNIC and outside of it too. So in the same show where he's trying to teach them the proper behavior such as not hitting others with your stick or stop hitting from behind he also goes on to teach them to disrespect others based on where they are from. Such as the many examples about Russians in this discussion or questioning someone's leadership because "he's a Swede"

I think this is a serious issue.
I think the more serious issue is how misquoted he is and how much the "he's a Swede" type comments are exaggerated by people on this forum.

If a person only read HF and never saw Cherry (which I think is a pretty large number of posters), you would think all he did was rant about nationalities every broadcast, when in reality, the occurrence of what you stated could be explained as "ridiculously infrequent". Not only that, the language you use, and others use, to describe these comments is normally much more damning and harsh than what Cherry uses.

Now cue the 12 year old comment about multiculturalism from the usual suspects.

But seriously, Cherry is a perfect case of "nothing draws a crowd like a crowd". Where there is smoke, there is a tiny, tiny, little insignificant fire that his detractors try to make into a nuclear blast by gleefully enflaming the masses and inciting anger towards a guy who makes an occasional comment that becomes quote-worthy to people looking to make others faux upset about his stance on multiculturalism.

Also, have a little more faith in the children of this nation. The same people that pretend to be offended by what he is preaching to our youth are also the type of people who let their kids watch "Family Guy" every week and the most grotesque horror movies made by Hollywood on the weekends while they play music that calls women ******* like it was their first name. In my job, I not only think that is true, I know it is.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:00 AM
An Sich

I've watched him long enough to know that I'm not misquoting or exaggerating him, thank you very much. It's all very real and open for anyone to see. What others might say or do has no meaning to whatsoever as they do not represent me or my thoughts.

Thankfully attitudes like Cherry's are slowly going away in this country. Nobody needs that.

An Sich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Smokey McCanucks

That suit, and then the picture of the jockey, oh man that was solid gold. Don has been on his game these playoffs for sure.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Cherry has also taken upon himself to educate young children about hockey in HNIC and outside of it too. So in the same show where he's trying to teach them the proper behavior such as not hitting others with your stick or stop hitting from behind he also goes on to teach them to disrespect others based on where they are from. Such as the many examples about Russians in this discussion or questioning someone's leadership because "he's a Swede"

I think this is a serious issue.
Exactly. This is what I like and dislike about Don. And, when I first started posting on this thread, it was why. Because it's actually an issue.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

"Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys. And you cannot have half the league wear them and half not."

This was Don talking about visors. Why is he so against them?

Old
04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial View Post
"Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys. And you cannot have half the league wear them and half not."

This was Don talking about visors. Why is he so against them?
Because it doesn't fit the macho rock 'em sock 'em image he liked to promote in the 90s. I think he's come around a bit on visors now. It's a bit of an oddity considering his player safety crusade about icing amongst other things.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Because it doesn't fit the macho rock 'em sock 'em image he liked to promote in the 90s. I think he's come around a bit on visors now. It's a bit of an oddity considering his player safety crusade about icing amongst other things.
Yes. Especially with our knowledge of neuroscience, removing fighting should be at the top of the list if we care about players' long-term mental and physical well-being.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:49 PM
MegalodonManiac
U'llneedabiggerboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
The Coach is not a threat.

He plays the clown.

Fox News, on the other hand, don't get me started...

Is Ann Coulter the one who argued, at the time of Irak 10-11 years ago, that Canada had intervened in Vietnam?

Whoever it was next target, after French fries, was going to be poutine and maple syrup.

Vietnam, Korea, who cares?

They're almost neighbours and they eat rice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Is it the taste, or the name being too close to Putin?
Neither. Just a big Ketchup fan.

MegalodonManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 06:50 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
I've watched him long enough to know that I'm not misquoting or exaggerating him, thank you very much. It's all very real and open for anyone to see. What others might say or do has no meaning to whatsoever as they do not represent me or my thoughts.

Thankfully attitudes like Cherry's are slowly going away in this country. Nobody needs that.
Yeah, except that attitude is mostly a creation of the media and fans of teams Don doesn't gloat upon. I can call David Suzuki a capitalist, pro-oil, polluting figurehead of big business, and guess what? It does not make it true.

Attitudes like Don's (pro-Canadian, pro-values, pro-morality, pro-law and order, supportive of our military, supportive of our good leaders) are not going away in this country.

Canada, contrary to the opinion of many, extends west beyond halfway through the province of Ontario.

Old
04-23-2014, 07:43 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
(...)

Canada, contrary to the opinion of many, extends west beyond halfway through the province of Ontario.

Who, in this thread, has ever said otherwise? Legit question.

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:46 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I think the more serious issue is how misquoted he is and how much the "he's a Swede" type comments are exaggerated by people on this forum.

If a person only read HF and never saw Cherry (which I think is a pretty large number of posters), you would think all he did was rant about nationalities every broadcast, when in reality, the occurrence of what you stated could be explained as "ridiculously infrequent". Not only that, the language you use, and others use, to describe these comments is normally much more damning and harsh than what Cherry uses.

(...)
And that begs the question:

Is once a year too many times?

Is twice a year too many times?

Is thrice a year too many times?

Is once too many times?

Old
04-23-2014, 07:55 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...)
The same people that pretend to be offended by what he is preaching to our youth are also the type of people who let their kids watch "Family Guy" every week and the most grotesque horror movies made by Hollywood on the weekends while they play music that calls women ******* like it was their first name. In my job, I not only think that is true, I know it is.
I'm almost with you here.

I've never watched "Family Guy", so I can't comment.

Letting kids watch the type of movies or listen to the type of music that you describe is a problem if only because it desensitize them.

And some video games are even worse...

But to write "The same people that pretend to be offended by what he is preaching to our youth are also the type of people who let their kids (do that)" is way over the top.

You're diabolizing the people who don't agree with you, and that's intellectual dishonesty.

But I guess only a liberal and/or an elitist (or a "crisse de séparatisss") would write something like this, n'est-ce pas?

Old
04-23-2014, 07:57 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

You would be hard-pressed to find a lot of people from Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Alberta would whine about Don Cherry being pro-Canadian.

Quote:

Is once too many times?
You know as well as I do (if you watch CC) that comments from Don that could even be misconstrued as anti-anything are rare and have been for a good number of years. But if I was a guy from Sweden reading this thread but not knowing who Don Cherry is, I would think he goes on tv and rails against my nation on a weekly basis.

In fact, when was the last time don said "hateful" things about Sweden? Because hey, people use that term - hate - all the time. Let's find that "hateful" commentary.

ITT, you have guys like Bob D constantly quoting Cherry's 2002 comment about multiculturalism.

How about instead of focusing on what one Canadian said in 2002, go make your stand against someone in your own nation, in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania where a bunch of football players killed a Mexican man and then the police covered it up (and have since been convicted)? Where people thought it should be put behind them because they were good boys and a street fight just got out of control (but they yelled racial insults while they kicked his head in). Go fight that sickening injustice.

Why are people worried about what Don said about Swedes 15 years ago when that stuff is happening TODAY in their back yard?

Simple - it is easier and more fun to pick on Canadians and tell us how stupid we are for liking our own TV personality. These people don't want to stop inequality. They want to slam us.

Old
04-23-2014, 08:12 PM
beauchamp

You write this:

Quote:
(...)
I asked this:

Quote:

You answered this:

Quote:
You would be hard-pressed to find a lot of people from Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Alberta would whine about Don Cherry being pro-Canadian.
(...)
How is that in any way, shape or form relevant to the question (except sharing a geographical locale)?

Quote:
(...)
You know as well as I do (if you watch CC) that comments from Don that could even be misconstrued as anti-anything are rare and have been for a good number of years. But if I was a guy from Sweden reading this thread but not knowing who Don Cherry is, I would think he goes on tv and rails against my nation on a weekly basis.

In fact, when was the last time don said "hateful" things about Sweden? Because hey, people use that term - hate - all the time. Let's find that "hateful" commentary.

ITT, you have guys like Bob D constantly quoting Cherry's 2002 comment about multiculturalism.

How about instead of focusing on what one Canadian said in 2002, go make your stand against someone in your own nation, in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania where a bunch of football players killed a Mexican man and then the police covered it up (and have since been convicted)? Where people thought it should be put behind them because they were good boys and a street fight just got out of control (but they yelled racial insults while they kicked his head in). Go fight that sickening injustice.

Why are people worried about what Don said about Swedes 15 years ago when that stuff is happening TODAY in their back yard?

Simple - it is easier and more fun to pick on Canadians and tell us how stupid we are for liking our own TV personality. These people don't want to stop inequality. They want to slam us.
How is that in any way related to hockey and/or The Coach?

We are on a hockey forum, aren't we?

In a thread regarding Don Cherry (aka The Coach)?

Quote:
(...)

Thin skin/lack of confidence in the Canadian spirit...

Old
04-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:

Nothing wrong with pro-Canadian.
Something wrong with anti-multicultural. Often it seems you address criticism of Don by interpreting or redirecting his comments as pro-Canadian as opposed to anti-multicultural.

You once admitted Don's anti-multicultural comments bothered you, but you've posted dozens of times arguing with those who attack Don for making those comments. Is it just because his most explicit one was "so long ago"?

Last edited by spiny norman: 04-23-2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added [/QUOTE]
Old
04-23-2014, 11:04 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Quote:

Nothing wrong with pro-Canadian.
Something wrong with anti-multicultural. Often it seems you address criticism of Don by interpreting or redirecting his comments as pro-Canadian as opposed to anti-multicultural.

You once admitted Don's anti-multicultural comments bothered you, but you've posted dozens of times arguing with those who attack Don for making those comments. Is it just because his most explicit one was "so long ago"?
They do.

But I have heard worse, and I am not going to hold a grudge. I also have the ability to look at the whole person, not just soundbites or quotes made a decade or more ago.

If it must be known, the quote of his that bothered me the most is when he more or less insulted First Nations people on one telecast suggesting they need to move on.

As someone with a LOT of background and education in the history of Canada after contact, those are the words of someone who does not have the same understanding.

However, that same guy was brought to tears when talking about the suicide of a First Nations hockey player not a couple of months ago.

What is in his heart is more important to me that what is in his head. Believe me, this is a philosophy that you have to embrace when dealing with a lot of people who don't have the understanding or depth in a lot of topics.

I wonder how many people on this thread, who bark about what a bad guy Cherry is, felt the same way he did upon hearing of that boy's death? I would hope all, but I also know what people say and feel about First Nations people in my country.

I know Don has a heart, and that is why I can hate the things he sometimes says from his position of ignorance without hating the man. I also think that is why he resonates with so many people in this country, despite what some people on here erroneously believe.

Last edited by spiny norman: 04-23-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added [/QUOTE]
Old
04-23-2014, 11:13 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

I believe the quote I was responding to was the one that talked about how views in Canada were changing.

While I agree, I believe what the poster was implying was a move that many on this thread advocate...a move away from nationalism and patriotism, as though those things are a scourge.

Traditional values and ideologies regarding patriotism may be something that many people in the Golden Horseshoe or Quebec think is an outdated notion, but in much of Canada I actually see it growing, not dying. Canada is a diverse country with an extremely diverse political landscape, and what is popular in Toronto is not necessarily what is popular in the west. Maybe that is why Don likes the west so much, because he knows that a Canada-first attitude (as opposed to a "me" society) is not only popular, but encouraged. That does not mean we are against immigration, at all. In fact, we are seeing record growth out here because we want everyone to come share in the dream that is Canada.

Old
04-24-2014, 01:25 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:

Is once too many times?
I'd love to know this too. I mean so that the next Don Cherry knows when and how often to openly express his hatred and disgust for a certain group of people while constantly going out of his way to disrespect, ridicule and belittle them otherwise, be it in a more thinly veiled fashion be. Who will the next Don Cherry pick as his target?

Quote:

We are on a hockey forum, aren't we?

In a thread regarding Don Cherry (aka The Coach)?
Nothing of course. It's an attempt to deflect attention away from some very awkward facts about The Coach. Much nicer to repeat mantras about his being so wonderfully pro-Canadian.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:03 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

Hatred of foreigners, immigration, multiculturalism, etc. has nothing to do with being "pro-Canadian". Characterizing that sort of thing as being "pro-Canadian" is nothing more than a way to justify comments that aren't really justifiable.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Do you realize that you can be pro-Canadian without belittling every other nation and without spewing crap about Frenchies, Europeans etc?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:21 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Hatred of foreigners, immigration, multiculturalism, etc. has nothing to do with being "pro-Canadian". Characterizing that sort of thing as being "pro-Canadian" is nothing more than a way to justify comments that aren't really justifiable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Do you realize that you can be pro-Canadian without belittling every other nation and without spewing crap about Frenchies, Europeans etc?
Two quotes which absolutely define what I am talking about when I say people on this board demonize occasional, somewhat controversial quotes and make the guy sound like Hitler ffs.

"Hatred of foreigners"? Yeah, okay.

PS - "Frenchies" is a derogatory term, pot.

Old
04-24-2014, 08:25 AM
giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
He's a loon. He should be off TV and put in a home.

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:26 AM
giddy up

Quote:
Two quotes which absolutely define what I am talking about when I say people on this board demonize occasional, somewhat controversial quotes and make the guy sound like Hitler ffs.

I think you need to add some more laugh emojis.

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:

I know Frenchies is a derogatory term (one that Cherry uses most importantly), I don't need lesson from you. Only someone out of touch with reality could classify his comments as pro-Canadian instead of what they really are. I have no problem with him talking about good Canadian kids, I love Canada and I have loads of family there from BC to Ontario and they're all proud Canadians, but they don't have a sick need to express their affection towards Canada by dumping on other nations as if they're less worthy.

Furthermore, what makes Canada great is the diversity of the people living in it and the utmost respect they have for each-other, Cherry is in no way, shape or form representative of an average Canadian.

EDIT:

There's no such thing as occasional slip-ups, once is one time too many.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote