HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien

View Poll Results: Rate Michel Therrien
Good 157 49.37%
Average 119 37.42%
Bad 42 13.21%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2014, 08:22 AM
  #26
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,618
vCash: 500
He's not a good coach.

But I like the fact that he's taken the leash off the team. So props to him for that.

Playoffs or not though, four games doesn't undo 82. We looked great against Tampa but I don't think Tampa played particularly well on their side either. As for "results" this year, people aren't looking closely enough at the way the team played.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:38 AM
  #27
etnicay
Registered User
 
etnicay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mount REAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
How many point would we get with a former Habs coach scrub like Claude julien ? 120 130 ? Or 100 point too with Cunneyworth ?

etnicay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:39 AM
  #28
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
People don't give MT enough credit.

He pitched a system to the players and they bought in to it. He makes frustrating decisions sometimes yes. Like when he plays Bouillon on the first pair but the fact remains that we keep on winning.
And therin lies the problem, his decision making is frustrating, and we win anyhow...if Boullion is exposed by talented players, which he will be, then we lose...Boullion really should be in the stands...

MT has made some good decisions, but more head scratching ones...but give the team credit, for the wins also...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:42 AM
  #29
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,107
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etnicay View Post
So he had no impact when things go well but all the blame when it goes bad ?
Pretty much how the agenda works. Some people actually believe that we swept Tampa because Therrien stopped coaching and started letting the players play instead. It's hilarious.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:43 AM
  #30
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Pretty much how the agenda works. Some people actually believe that we swept Tampa because Therrien stopped coaching and started letting the players play instead. It's hilarious.
There's no doubt that the team changed its gameplan. That's not "agenda."

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:50 AM
  #31
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by etnicay View Post
How many point would we get with a former Habs coach scrub like Claude julien ? 120 130 ? Or 100 point too with Cunneyworth ?
I think the commenter above who said a good head coach would have squeezed perhaps 6 points more out of this roster had it about right. We won a lot of games this year on Price's back and little else. We would still have won those games with a good coach; Price just wouldn't have had to steal them. Cunneyworth's floor might have been about 90-94 points with this roster, if you give him the same performance from Price.

I think Therrien is a mediocre coach at best, a horrific coach at worst, who made the right decisions for the Tampa series. We did, in retrospect, severely outmatch the Bolts, who had a horrid defence and shaky goaltending. Our next opponent will not. We'll see how Therrien does.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:51 AM
  #32
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,107
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
There's no doubt that the team changed its gameplan. That's not "agenda."
Yes, "the team changed its gameplan", completely autonomous of their coach. That sounds like something grounded in reality and not stemming from an agenda.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:54 AM
  #33
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yes, "the team changed its gameplan", completely autonomous of their coach. That sounds like something grounded in reality and not stemming from an agenda.
Right 'cause I didn't write this earlier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
But I like the fact that he's taken the leash off the team. So props to him for that.
You sure you're not the one with the agenda here?

Come on man...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:55 AM
  #34
etnicay
Registered User
 
etnicay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mount REAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I think the commenter above who said a good head coach would have squeezed perhaps 6 points more out of this roster had it about right. We won a lot of games this year on Price's back and little else. We would still have won those games with a good coach; Price just wouldn't have had to steal them. Cunneyworth's floor might have been about 90-94 points with this roster, if you give him the same performance from Price.

I think Therrien is a mediocre coach at best, a horrific coach at worst, who made the right decisions for the Tampa series. We did, in retrospect, severely outmatch the Bolts, who had a horrid defence and shaky goaltending. Our next opponent will not. We'll see how Therrien does.
ROFL +- 3wins for a good to mediocre coach

etnicay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:58 AM
  #35
etnicay
Registered User
 
etnicay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mount REAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Pretty much how the agenda works. Some people actually believe that we swept Tampa because Therrien stopped coaching and started letting the players play instead. It's hilarious.

etnicay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:03 AM
  #36
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
So if Therrien is so good as some here are suggesting, I guess you won't have any issues giving him another 3-year deal?

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:03 AM
  #37
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by etnicay View Post
Some think we have the 76-77 habs roster and Michel Therrien is screwing the team big time. Remember the fun time with cunneyworth when we were great ...
Disingenuous post. That was a completely different team.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:05 AM
  #38
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I think he is a good coach, but I don't know enough about coaching in the NHL to make much of an informed opinion. I think he out-couched Jon Cooper in these playoffs, and I think he is setting a good example for this team. I wish him and the Habs the best of luck for the remainder of the playoffs and support him 100%.
outcoached him? How?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:09 AM
  #39
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Pretty much how the agenda works. Some people actually believe that we swept Tampa because Therrien stopped coaching and started letting the players play instead. It's hilarious.
At the same time, some people think we won because Therrien revamped the team and was this wonderful tactician completely discounting the fact that we played a team full of rookies and a backup goalie that couldn't stop a beach ball.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:28 AM
  #40
etnicay
Registered User
 
etnicay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mount REAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
At the same time, some people think we won because Therrien revamped the team and was this wonderful tactician completely discounting the fact that we played a team full of rookies and a backup goalie that couldn't stop a beach ball.
Some ppl think we finished 2nd and 4th in the east the last two seasons and rightfully outcoached, outplayed swept a cripple team this year. Therrien and the coaching staff play a positive role to that.
Some need to deal with this fact too

etnicay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:32 AM
  #41
EmelinHipCheck
Registered User
 
EmelinHipCheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
At the same time, some people think we won because Therrien revamped the team and was this wonderful tactician completely discounting the fact that we played a team full of rookies and a backup goalie that couldn't stop a beach ball.
do you even realize how annoying your constant negativity is ?

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:33 AM
  #42
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
There's no doubt that the team changed its gameplan. That's not "agenda."
Or maybe, just maybe, he adapted the game plan to the opponent.

I'm gonna wait and see what crap the Therrien detractors come up with if we win the 2nd round.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:36 AM
  #43
Chris Nilan
Registered User
 
Chris Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I want to see how he reacts when things aren't going so good. All he had to do was sit back and enjoy the show. The habs were clicking in all aspects against an inferior club. His system looked great, but I still don't believe he's an intelligent man who is better than any other average coach. I think he's really bad, but I can't complain about him during the first round, everything worked, but I'm not ready to proclaim him to be anything more than what I thought he was after watching 82 games.

82 >>> 4. If the team continues to respond to MT the way they did this series, obviously I'll be eating crow, but I don't think he did anything special, but he certainly didn't do anything to hurt us either in the first round.

My dislike for Therrien has absolutely nothing to do with the language he speaks, there are many qualified french speaking Canadians to run the habs. The problem I have with the language thing is the process leading to the decision, being French should give two otherwise equal candidates an advantage, no doubt, but it shouldn't be the number one trait. We shouldn't be eliminating candidates based on language alone, we should put them through the process, if we like what they're selling, provide language training/interpreters for the coach if he's willing to do so. I believe anyone vying for the position has an obligation to at least learn the basics of the language the province speaks, but I think ruling out otherwise potentially better candidates on this criteria alone is a huge mistake.
When it doesn't go right, huh?
  • Like losing home-ice advantage and then having to face the team that passed you b/c of the ridiculous playoff structure?
  • Like your top goal scorer starting to lose confidence b/c he couldn't bury anything against a pair of beer league quality goalies?
  • Like your all-world goalie giving up 4 goals, including two pretty soft ones, on 20 shots in Game 1?
  • Like your power play creating chances but going 1-33 against a gaffe-prone defense and said goalies?
  • Like your all-world goalie losing track of the post and the puck while doing his over-play to the puck side routine familiar during his slumps so a softie can go in off his back in Game 4?
  • Like an odd bounce going to the other team and leading to a shorthanded goal against that already headscratchingly snakebitten powerplay?
  • Like the fact that your all-world goalie still hasn't truly stolen a game nor shown that he could?
  • Like losing the lead in what should have been an easy deciding game and having to calm the team down and continue?
  • Like having some pretty obvious BS ignored by Chris F. Lee (especially), including some pretty serious bumps of Price by Callahan and Killorn after whistles, two pretty obvious too many men calls that were missed (Game 3 and Game 4), and some mugging in Game 4, while still managing to not whine about it or let your team lose track of the situation?
  • Like finding a way to get Subban's game on track after he went minus-2 in Game 1?
Every one of those involves some kind of very careful management by the coaching staff. I think you're buying into the Glen Healy inspired notion that the whole series was about Tampa Bay, or you're trying to find a way to suggest as many wrongly did during Martin's time that the assistants and/or the veterans are actually the ones doing all of the pre-game, in-game, post-game and between-game managing.

And then there's finding a way to turn René Bourque into a hockey player, mixing Josh Gorges back into the fold with only 3 regular season games to do it and some practices, managing Weaver and Bouillon's ice time so both end up an astonishing plus-5, adjusting forward lines to deal with injuries to Galchenyuk, White and Moen, while finding combinations that work, including some fitting linemates for Plekanec and working through Prust's gaffe-prone Games 1 & 2. Other than those things, it was pretty much pot-of-gold-end-of-rainbow-pie-in-the-sky-lotus-land-job-ends-at-filling-in-the-lineup-card stuff for MT.

Pretty sure he slept in late every morning the last 8-10 days, read the paper, caught up on Game of Thrones and played video games on his phone while tweeting at Ron Maclean most of Game 4.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:42 AM
  #44
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
I don't like some of the the things he does.
I don't like the way he handles his lines sometimes.

But God damn, he has implemented a system, the team he is coaching is following that system AND they are winning.
Pretty much this.

As shows my avatar, I absolutely despise the way he's treated Subban this year, and when the guy just won a Norris trophy, I think you can try to trust him at some point.

But for some reason, the habs are winning. I'd be hesitant to change anything at this point...

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:42 AM
  #45
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 6,296
vCash: 500
Somewhere in the realm of mediocre. Maybe slightly above average at most.

Bylsma got him beat in terms of being horrible..

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:44 AM
  #46
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's done better than I thought. He's not as awful as I thought he'd be. But he still would not be my choice. There's a guy in Colorado who is pretty good himself....
Roy has done well in Colorado, I'll give you that. But I could paint Roy with the same brush that many Habs are painting Therrien: the team may be winning not because of Roy but because of the talent:

Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, McGinn, O'Reilly, Stastny, Tanguay. and a goalie that has played as well as Price.

Can the Habs put up top 7 forwards that match that? I don't think so. We do have a better d.

Honestly, if coaches were switched, I don't think there would be much of a difference in the teams' results.

Therrien is really underrated on this site. He isn't great but he has proven in Pittsburgh and here that he is a very good coach and you don't know how much it hurts me to admit that..


Last edited by onice: 04-23-2014 at 09:52 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:50 AM
  #47
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 6,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
outcoached him? How?
Shutting down Stamkos 3 out of four games?

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:56 AM
  #48
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,107
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
At the same time, some people think we won because Therrien revamped the team and was this wonderful tactician completely discounting the fact that we played a team full of rookies and a backup goalie that couldn't stop a beach ball.
And yet, somehow, your "I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa sweeps us" remark pops up in my mind.

So before the series, Therrien is so bad that you wouldn't be surprised to see us get swept. Then we sweep Tampa, and your position is more or less that their team was so garbage we should have swept them anyway.

Like I said - hilarious.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:56 AM
  #49
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,671
vCash: 500
I was generous here and voted average. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's average, although most of his regular season decisions indicate he is bad. I still think he is below average, but since it wasn't an option, I'll say average.

There are a lot of bad coaches in the NHL, so being amongst them isn't that good of an achievement.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:57 AM
  #50
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
And therin lies the problem, his decision making is frustrating, and we win anyhow...if Boullion is exposed by talented players, which he will be, then we lose...Boullion really should be in the stands...

MT has made some good decisions, but more head scratching ones...but give the team credit, for the wins also...
I disagree on Boullion, because Boullion being in the stands means Murray is on the ice. This might be one of Therrien's better decisions this year.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.