HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread XXVII

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2014, 11:58 PM
lindgren

vCash: 500
Cederholm has one assist as the Rockets and the Winterhawks begin the first overtime period (tied 3-3).

Old
04-23-2014, 01:32 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Random note:

I remember when we missed out on Antoine Laganiere a bunch of us considered Lain a consolation prize. Did anyone expect that he would outproduce Laganiere in the AHL and make his NHL debut this season?
I think it was expected Lain would have a lower ceiling but also a lower floor. Seeing him make the NHL and take some 4th line shifts wasn't a huge surprise IMO, though maybe it was a year earlier than many expected.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:58 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Weren't a bunch of those guys moved because Tallon f'd up on getting his qualifying offers in on time?

Not really a strategy per se.
Also, Toews won the Conn Smythe which gave him a huge bonus ($6M?) which had to be carried into the next year forcing them to jettison contracts as well.

It was a bit of a perfect storm.

Old
04-23-2014, 05:06 AM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Last night's updates:

OHL:
Erie Otters: 5-2W (1-3 Series)
Player
Tonight
Playoffs
Gaunce0G 1A +1 0PIM13GP 6G 10A 16P +5 12PIM
Fox1G 1A +2 0PIM13GP 8G 11A 19P +4 22PIM

London Knights:
Player
Tonight
Playoffs
HorvatEliminated9GP 5G 6A 11P +0 4PIM

North Bay Battalion: 5-3W (3-0 Series)
Player
Tonight
Playoffs
Liberati0G 0A -1 0PIM16GP 0G 1A 1P +0 12PIM

Oshawa Generals: 3-5L (0-3 Series)
Player
Tonight
Playoffs
Cassels0G 2A +0 2PIM11GP 6G 10A 16P +1 12PIM

Kingston Frontenacs:
Player
Tonight
Playoffs
McEnenyEliminated R17GP 1G 1A 2P +1 6PIM

WHL:
Portland Winterhawks: 4-3W (2-1 Series)
Player
Tonight
Playoffs
Cederholm0G 1A +1 2PIM12GP 1G 2A 3P +3 8PIM

Portland, Oshawa, and North Bay are playing tonight

04-23-2014, 08:48 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Weren't a bunch of those guys moved because Tallon f'd up on getting his qualifying offers in on time?

Not really a strategy per se.
Yeah, this.

Old
04-23-2014, 10:55 AM
billvanseattle

small guys with skill .... don't we have that already in Jordan Schroeder?

Old
04-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
small guys with skill .... don't we have that already in Jordan Schroeder?
Are you referring to Nylander than Ehlers? Shroeder has less size and skill than either.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Are you referring to Nylander than Ehlers? Shroeder has less size and skill than either.
yes, and I know, just trying to cause trouble.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:11 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
To be fair he weighs more than both

Old
04-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
To be fair he weighs more than both
He should hope so, given that he's six years older!

I understand that Schroeder is a gym rat, shame it couldn't make a difference...

Old
04-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
He should hope so, given that he's six years older!

I understand that Schroeder is a gym rat, shame it couldn't make a difference...
The Schroeder hate bandwagon is strong in here. He has underperformed, but he never really got a great chance with AV. He looked promising last preseason but then ran into injury problems and never really recovered.

That all being said, I don't there is a spot for him on the Canucks unless he's willing to sign a league minimum 2 way contract.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
The Schroeder hate bandwagon is strong in here. He has underperformed, but he never really got a great chance with AV. He looked promising last preseason but then ran into injury problems and never really recovered.

That all being said, I don't there is a spot for him on the Canucks unless he's willing to sign a league minimum 2 way contract.
Same as last year, 1 way vs 2 way doesn't matter, because he'd have to clear waivers to be sent down. I sure hope he realizes his career is in jeopardy if he doesn't show something (and soon) next season.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:48 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Same as last year, 1 way vs 2 way doesn't matter, because he'd have to clear waivers to be sent down. I sure hope he realizes his career is in jeopardy if he doesn't show something (and soon) next season.
It think if Torts remains coach, there is not much sense in even qualifying Schroeder. With a new coach, who might actually give him a shot, it's still 50/50 on whether or not it is worth a contract spot. I still think that under the right conditions (big, skilled linemates in a 3rd line role) he could be an NHLer, but he really has something to prove now. If he's exposed to waivers and we lose him, I hope at least he lands on a team that will give him a shot.

Old
04-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Wisp

I don't hate Schroeder.

Generally I'm very patient with prospects - I was screaming at everyone we had nothing but time with Jensen - but that patience has limits. Basically, if they haven't established themselves into some sort of NHL role by the time their post-ELC contract has expired, time to cut your losses.

There's a lot of competition for spots both ahead of him and below him. I simply don't think there's a spot in the organization for him anymore, unless it's on the bench, which isn't fair to him..

Old
04-23-2014, 02:35 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
It think if Torts remains coach, there is not much sense in even qualifying Schroeder. With a new coach, who might actually give him a shot, it's still 50/50 on whether or not it is worth a contract spot. I still think that under the right conditions (big, skilled linemates in a 3rd line role) he could be an NHLer, but he really has something to prove now. If he's exposed to waivers and we lose him, I hope at least he lands on a team that will give him a shot.
Agreed on both counts, Torts has shown he has no use for Schroeder, but I'd like to see him get a chance with some decent linemates. He and Kassian had good chemistry in Chicago. Maybe Booth on the other wing.

Old
04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
I don't hate Schroeder.

Generally I'm very patient with prospects - I was screaming at everyone we had nothing but time with Jensen - but that patience has limits. Basically, if they haven't established themselves into some sort of NHL role by the time their post-ELC contract has expired, time to cut your losses.

There's a lot of competition for spots both ahead of him and below him. I simply don't think there's a spot in the organization for him anymore, unless it's on the bench, which isn't fair to him..
I agree. Im willing to give Schroeder more time to establish himself and show what he can do in the NHL.

He didnt do much this season but he had tough luck with injuries and linemates. He's shown some flashes here and there and I really want to see the coaching staff try to capitalize on that and draw that part of his game out more.

One thing I really like about him is his hustle, you can see him hauling it every time hes on the ice and I think his speed was impacted a bit by the ankle injury. Last year he was displaying top end NHL speed consistently and even though he isnt a Gallagher (Gallagher has an inhumane engine, shouldnt have to compare many to him ) he still has that drive.

04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Agreed on both counts, Torts has shown he has no use for Schroeder, but I'd like to see him get a chance with some decent linemates. He and Kassian had good chemistry in Chicago. Maybe Booth on the other wing.
If Booth stays and can play like he has over the last 10 or so games Id like that. Kassian might be able to get even faster this offseason if his last two signify anything and that would be a great third line if Schroeder can get his offensive game going.

Old
04-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Phantom Misconduct

I always thought that a mostly offensive player like Schroeder should be absolutely ripping it up in the AHL before moving up to the big show. Unfortunately, injuries prevented him from really putting together a full dominant season down there. I don't think playing as a 13th forward is going to help him much. He could be a candidate to go overseas and kill it for a bit in a top line role in Sweden or Switzerland or something. It might help him in the long run but I don't see him being a big fan of that. He's in a tough spot right now.

Old
04-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Icebreakers

Yeah i dont see how we can re-sign Schroeder. He will be 25 by the end of next year. We just dont have the time to develop him any further.

Old
04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreakers View Post
Yeah i dont see how we can re-sign Schroeder. He will be 25 by the end of next year. We just dont have the time to develop him any further.
Unless the Canucks are planning to contend for the cup next year (doubt it) they have lots of time to develop him.

Old
04-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Unless the Canucks are planning to contend for the cup next year (doubt it) they have lots of time to develop him.
Waste of a roster spot imo. Hes wont randomly turn into a 50 point top 6 forward. Which is the only way i can see him being a full time NHLer.

Old
04-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreakers View Post
Waste of a roster spot imo. Hes wont randomly turn into a 50 point top 6 forward. Which is the only way i can see him being a full time NHLer.
Every team needs depth forwards. His qualifying is only 660,000 which is pretty close to minimum. I could see him in a role where he plays a lot in Utica and can be recalled in case of injury. If we lose him on waivers, oh well, every team has guys like him going up and down during the season.

Old
04-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
I agree. Im willing to give Schroeder more time to establish himself and show what he can do in the NHL.
We don't actually agree, then.

Old
04-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
Every team needs depth forwards. His qualifying is only 660,000 which is pretty close to minimum. I could see him in a role where he plays a lot in Utica and can be recalled in case of injury. If we lose him on waivers, oh well, every team has guys like him going up and down during the season.
I dont even think hes waiver eligible anymore. Some team will just pick him up if he does anything good. Hes going to be 24/25 soon. How long are you going to let him develop? till hes 28? Schroeder isnt a role player. He has 0 grit and does nothing if hes not putting up points.

Old
04-23-2014, 05:39 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Whether we should have drafted him in the 1st round is another matter, but most smaller players who make it actually seem to break out at a later age, at around 25/26 i.e generally they take longer to establish themselves in the NHL. I'm not opposed to re-signing him for league minimum again - and it would be in his best interest to do so. Having someone who can actually play isn't the worst thing in the world at 600k.

Closed Thread