HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky and Liffiton Recalled

Old
03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
E-Train

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Interestingly enough, it was also against the Islanders back on April 4th last year. Liffiton only had 8:42 of ice time in the game.

I had a bit of a different impression from you though, I thought he played okay for his first NHL game. Didn't see him overawed at all, though he didn't see a lot of time.
Fish, I have to agree. Didn't think he looked out of place at all, although 8:42 of ice wasn't much of a sample.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Another possible reason for Dubinsky as opposed to Callahan or Dawes...Straka's shoulder. Straka started the game centering Isbister and Prucha, and although the lines got a bit mucked by Hossa's injury, Straka only took one faceoff. I can see Isbister or Avery playing with Nylander and Jagr as they have in the last two games...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Dilettante

I'd like to see:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Isbister-Dubinsky-Avery
Prucha-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

I think that lineup would be a pain in the *** to play against if Dubinsky can handle the pace.

Dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I'd like to see:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Isbister-Dubinsky-Avery
Prucha-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

I think that lineup would be a pain in the *** to play against if Dubinsky can handle the pace.
That would be my thinking too..But I think we all have horrific memories of Blair Betts being moved up to the 2nd line earlier in the year...DUbinsky for 4 mins a night would be a waste..At least Betts as a 4th liner will be taking key Face offs for the other lines and most PKs..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The question is, does Dubinsky play the wing or center?

I'm guessing they do something along the lines of moving Straka back up with Jagr and Nylander for the most part, and have Dubinsky center the second line...or hell, realistically, the third line with Cullen centering the 2nd because "he's been playing well".

In any case, even 3rd line minutes would be good for Dubinsky.
Yeah, I don't think it would be a bad idea to play him on the wing, why not with Nylander and Jagr?

If he plays center I would like it to be with Straka next to him, Dubi's big flaw is taking the puck up ice from his own end, Straka is dynamite there. Straka-Dubinsky-Avery could also be a really good line.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
If Brad Isbister plays on the first line, I'm never watching hockey again.

He's such a lazy player on the ice.
You obviously do not watch close enough my friend.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Kostik

I just don't see Dubi fitting anywhere now...why not call up Korpedo instead of injured Hossa?Strange.
Too many centers, there is Immo waiting as healthy scratch and they pick up Dubinsky?

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
I just don't see Dubi fitting anywhere now...why not call up Korpedo instead of injured Hossa?Strange.
Too many centers, there is Immo waiting as healthy scratch and they pick up Dubinsky?
Right or wrong (I think right), I think the Rangers feel that Dubisky will be a bigger contributor then Immo to the type of hockey that is goingto be played over the next 15 games or so..If Straka (and Isbister for the time being) will be playing W for awhile, I have no problem with the recall of Dubinsky..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
eco's bones

Dubi has grown quite a bit since he was drafted and still seems to have a nasty and aggressive side. His kind of game whether now or in the future should fit in real well. He's dropped the gloves on occasion too.

That's what these guys are here for anyway. If there's an emergency someone has to come up and fill the gap.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Janerixon

Good news on mara

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

"Paul Mara, who sustained a shoulder injury last night when checked by Trent Hunter, did not practice today but expects to play in Thursday's rematch with the Isles."

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
xander

man, If I was Ryan Callahan I'd be pretty steamed right now. What does he have to do to earn a call up? And I'm not sure what kind of message it sends to call up a younger player that hasn't played as well as cally has.

and liffiton over baranka? why?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Dubi has grown quite a bit since he was drafted and still seems to have a nasty and aggressive side. His kind of game whether now or in the future should fit in real well. He's dropped the gloves on occasion too.

That's what these guys are here for anyway. If there's an emergency someone has to come up and fill the gap.
The thing is that despite a slow start, Dubinsky is actually on a 20 goal, 40-45 point, 120 pim pace right now. That doesn't factor in that his game is improving so the scoring might finish higher than that.

That's not too bad for a 20-year old who really (because of growth spurts) is now projected as a different player than he was before.

In two years he's essentially gone from a smaller forward with very good offensive abilities and a nasty side to a bigger power forward type. He's still growing into his body and his game.

But Brandon, like his young teammates, has consistently gotten better as the season's progressed. He's nowhere near the finished product yet, but he's not a bad choice to get a look at right now.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
man, If I was Ryan Callahan I'd be pretty steamed right now. What does he have to do to earn a call up? And I'm not sure what kind of message it sends to call up a younger player that hasn't played as well as cally has.

and liffiton over baranka? why?
i kind of think that renney is calling up the more fiesty and aggressive players for this series with the islanders

they may have no been better than us in many categories last nite, but they certainly hit everything and very often, having dubinsky and liffiton play (and it very possible liffiton and mara will both play, i assume pock could be scratched) would be to have players who are going to hit the isles and play a more physical game

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:47 PM
xander

Dubinsky has certainly played well, but what kind of message does it send to your young players when you refuse to call up the guy who's been the clear best player on the team? Callahan deserved this call up before anyone else did, and I'd have put Dawes ahead of Dubinsky on the list too.

Old
03-06-2007, 03:50 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
i kind of think that renney is calling up the more fiesty and aggressive players for this series with the islanders

they may have no been better than us in many categories last nite, but they certainly hit everything and very often, having dubinsky and liffiton play (and it very possible liffiton and mara will both play, i assume pock could be scratched) would be to have players who are going to hit the isles and play a more physical game
perhaps, I'd just like to see the Rangers reward the kids that deserve it most. What would be so hard about running the system a bit more like a meritocracy? it seems to work for the rest of the league.

Old
03-06-2007, 03:52 PM
SML

Quote:
Dubinsky has certainly played well, but what kind of message does it send to your young players when you refuse to call up the guy who's been the clear best player on the team? Callahan deserved this call up before anyone else did, and I'd have put Dawes ahead of Dubinsky on the list too.
I think you have to call guys up based on how well they will fill the role of the guy who's injured, not by how well they have played in Hartford. The Rangers have traditionally always called up the best minor league player, then been baffled why he can't succeed when they misuse him as a penalty killer when he's never done that before, and play him on the 4th line when he's usually playing PP in HFD. They've never had success doing that. Since we're in a jam with the injuries, perhaps they want to look at a guy who is versatile enough to play more than one position right now.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:57 PM
xander

I didn't realize that Dubinsky had been playing wing, hasn't he always been a center? And I'd say that Callahan, who does kill penalties, is more versatile than Dubinsky.

Old
03-06-2007, 04:01 PM
SML

I'm not sure if Dubi has been playing wing so much, but I'd have to think the guy who is a natural center can transition to wing easier than the winger moving to the middle.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:04 PM
xander

it just seems to me that Hossa, a versatile wing who can kill penalties and has shown some scoring touch, would be best replaced by Callahan, a versitile wing that can kill penalties and has shown a scoring touch.

I understand the size argument, but I think it's alittle silly to expect a 20 year old who has just recently grown into his body to really step in and be a big physical force at this level.

Old
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Consequently, Bruce Graham and Hannu Pikkarainen have been assigned to Hartford from Charlotte.

Old
03-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
it just seems to me that Hossa, a versatile wing who can kill penalties and has shown some scoring touch, would be best replaced by Callahan, a versitile wing that can kill penalties and has shown a scoring touch.
Hockey's different here.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Hockey's different here.
No kidding.

I'm not furious about this, I'm actually rather excited to get a look at Dubinsky, I'm just afraid that some of the guys who have paid they're dues (Dawes, Baranka, Callahan) are going to begin to stunt if they're not given a chance to show what they can do. And I realize that Callahan has spent the same amount of time in the AHL as Dubinsky has, but he's been so much more consistent all year. Again, if this was a meritocracy, he would have gotten a call up by now.

Old
03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Callahan's actually been in a small slump as of late.

Old
03-06-2007, 04:18 PM
tpb209

I don't see dubinsky playing at all. I would like to see him play but they will just put immonen in.
I think the lines will be something like this:
avery-nylander-jagr
straka-cullen-prucha
isbister-immonen-ortmeyer
holweg-betts-orr

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Edge

I think we're overreacting a bit to this move.

This could be nothing more than to allow Renney to get a look at Dubinsky and see how he looks.

Callahan could be recalled soon, maybe Dawes, who knows. Renney has at least seen this up close, this will be his first chance to see Dubinsky since September.

I don't think there is any long term sulking or damage done if Dubinsky gets a look at the moment instead of Dawes or Callahan. In years past it would've been Brad Smyth, so I'm not terribly worried about the approach or long term strategies or anything like that.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote