HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier (June 25 update: cyst removed from his left foot; using crutches)

Old
04-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
He just seems so composed all the time. Even his scrumming looks calculated. I love watching it. He'll have a dead, "doing business" look while the other guy looks agitated.

04-22-2014, 10:53 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Its time to get another third line center on here and give this guy a legitimate two way role. He's too good for lugging around read and whoever the **** else at even strength. Also, PP

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:04 PM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He just seems so composed all the time. Even his scrumming looks calculated. I love watching it. He'll have a dead, "doing business" look while the other guy looks agitated.
Yep. He'll give a guy a shove just hard enough to piss him off but won't do it too hard and often to where he'll get a penalty. Then he just stares and smiles at them with that toothless grin of his. He's a good troll

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I'm surprised to hear so many people waiting for him to get faster. I don't see it happening. Guys get stronger, but most players are as fast as they're ever going to be at age 21. Even if he lifts legs all off-season specifically for fast twitch strength, I don't see it getting that much better. He's a slow-mover, but he does his thing when he gets where he's going so I'm not mad.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I'm surprised to hear so many people waiting for him to get faster. I don't see it happening. Guys get stronger, but most players are as fast as they're ever going to be at age 21. Even if he lifts legs all off-season specifically for fast twitch strength, I don't see it getting that much better. He's a slow-mover, but he does his thing when he gets where he's going so I'm not mad.
He's really not all that slow when he gets going. His acceleration is the weak link in his skating. Like you said though, as long as he gets stronger, which will make him harder to move off the puck, he'll be fine.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:31 AM
skoods

I like Couts. I really do. But, I find it funny that he always gets a pass from this fan base when not contributing at all offensively.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods View Post
I like Couts. I really do. But, I find it funny that he always gets a pass from this fan base when not contributing at all offensively.
Because he's not used in an offensive role. He's never given power play time, or even so much as offensive zone starts. They need a Manny Malholtra who will take those responsibilities away from him, because Couturier is an excellent possession player. Give him a top-line offensive producer on his line as well, he's had to drag around Downie, McGinn, Rinaldo, etc.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:15 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Because he's not used in an offensive role. He's never given power play time, or even so much as offensive zone starts. They need a Manny Malholtra who will take those responsibilities away from him, because Couturier is an excellent possession player. Give him a top-line offensive producer on his line as well, he's had to drag around Downie, McGinn, Rinaldo, etc.
Yep.

Read is in a massive slump, so his line is pretty much him and Akeson....a possession guy and a rookie playmaker.

It's his job to shut down the other team's top line. With Giroux's line drawing the tough D matchups from NYR, this is where Vinny was supposed to pay off...or Schenn was supposed to start coming into his own. Both have been massively underwhelming or downright awful.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
How much offense is to be expected when he spends the majority of the time starting out in the defensive zone against the best forwards in the league?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Flyers top 10 ES scorers this season

Giroux 49
Voracek 39
Simmonds 36
Read 34
Hartnell 32
BSchenn 32
Couturier 31
Streit 29
Lecavalier 24
Raffl 22

Please explain how Couturier has not contributed at all offensively this season.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Just ignore. We've been through this argument a million times. It's at a point of ridiculousness.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:15 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post

Giroux 49
Voracek 39
Simmonds 36
Read 34
Hartnell 32
BSchenn 32
Couturier 31
Streit 29
Lecavalier 24
Raffl 22

Please explain how Couturier has not contributed at all offensively this season.

How he doesn't get ANY significant minutes on the PP is beyond me.

usahockey22flyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
How he doesn't get ANY significant minutes on the PP is beyond me.
He can only play so many minutes. They need him to kill penalties and play against top lines. He can't play the PP too. It's the same reason Berube took Giroux off the 2nd PK unit.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Curufinwe

Right now Akeson is a better choice for the 2nd PP unit anyway.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:06 PM
neb45
Ty Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
He can only play so many minutes. They need him to kill penalties and play against top lines. He can't play the PP too. It's the same reason Berube took Giroux off the 2nd PK unit.
I know they aren't at the same level but Toews is the hawks' main pk guy and is on 1st line pp. is it too much to ask for couts to get 2nd line pp minutes?

neb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb45 View Post
I know they aren't at the same level but Toews is the hawks' main pk guy and is on 1st line pp. is it too much to ask for couts to get 2nd line pp minutes?
Couturier gets more PK time per 60 minutes than any other forward in the NHL and gets some of the toughest ES minutes in the league. The kid does more than enough. Maybe he could get some easier minutes and PP time if so many of the other forwards weren't somewhat defensive liabilities.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post

Giroux 49
Voracek 39
Simmonds 36
Read 34
Hartnell 32
BSchenn 32
Couturier 31
Streit 29
Lecavalier 24
Raffl 22

"Not contributed" is probably a poor choice of words. "Should contribute more" is probably a better choice.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:53 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
They're using him in such a way he's like an arch built too much on one side. Other defensive forwards get PP time. Do they think he wouldn't be good on the PP? Not sure.

Other Selke "discussion" type forwards get PP time.

Perhaps it is that they need him to long 18 minutes of mostly defensive play because the other centers are trash defensively. Perhaps they can pair that back a hair if Laughton is good.

He could play the PP more, however. He's logging ~18 minutes a game. Give him two minutes less defensive play, let him play 22 minutes a game (max, if needed). That would give him 8 minutes of PP time available per game (even if he doesn't use it).

It makes me look more towards they do not like him on the PP or he often gets shifted nearer to when a PP opens up.

That PP2 unit stinks. He couldn't break into that? It needs to be reforged.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCWombBroom View Post
They're using him in such a way he's like an arch built too much on one side. Other defensive forwards get PP time. Do they think he wouldn't be good on the PP? Not sure.

Perhaps it is that they need him to long 18 minutes of mostly defensive play because the other centers are trash defensively. Perhaps they can pair that back a hair if Laughton is good.

He could play the PP more, however. He's logging ~18 minutes a game. Give him two minutes less defensive play, let him play 22 minutes a game (max, if needed). That would give him 8 minutes of PP time available per game (even if he doesn't use it).

It makes me look more towards they do not like him on the PP or he often gets shifted nearer to when a PP opens up.

I wonder if it's really that he "couldn't" break into it, or Berube wouldn't let him? Several players were infinite trash on that unit and got limitless opportunities. Sort of like how someone like Grossmann can be terrible for ages and never, ever be held accountable.

Old
04-23-2014, 02:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Couturier gets more PK time per 60 minutes than any other forward in the NHL and gets some of the toughest ES minutes in the league. The kid does more than enough. Maybe he could get some easier minutes and PP time if so many of the other forwards weren't somewhat defensive liabilities.
That's probably a big reason why Laughton was drafted - alleviate some of the burden on Couturier with regards to the PK and the tough ES minutes.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

I think that's the reason, and the hope I have for Laughton. .

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
"Not contributed" is probably a poor choice of words. "Should contribute more" is probably a better choice.
Appleyard has shown how difficult it is to produce points when given assignments similar to what he receives. News flash: It's really ****ing hard. Of all the comparable players, no one produces much more than him. Even saying "Should contribute more" is still a poor choice of words. He's 21 years old and is playing his role brilliantly. I don't see how you can even slightly criticize this kid. He's put in a position to fail, and he still looks great on a nightly basis.

Old
04-23-2014, 03:31 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Horrible thought just went through my mind. Maybe Couts would stand a better chance seeing power play time if they hadn't traded Talbot.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Appleyard has shown how difficult it is to produce points when given assignments similar to what he receives. News flash: It's really ****ing hard. Of all the comparable players, no one produces much more than him. Even saying "Should contribute more" is still a poor choice of words. He's 21 years old and is playing his role brilliantly. I don't see how you can even slightly criticize this kid. He's put in a position to fail, and he still looks great on a nightly basis.
Lies, damn lies and statistics. I don't put stock into statistical arguments, especially ones that try to quantify quality of competition.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Horrible thought just went through my mind. Maybe Couts would stand a better chance seeing power play time if they hadn't traded Talbot.
They did keep carting Downie out there