An all-rookie checking line? Why not?
Whats the worst that can happen

Old
04-22-2014, 10:50 AM
PuckInTheNards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
They got the 3rd most points. Not the 3rd best record. They were able to sustain it through 7 loser points. All the while only having a +6 goal differential.
Points = Record. The loser point counts. This is the rule by which the NHL operates.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:51 AM
PuckInTheNards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Avs went from third lowest to third highest in one year.

At the beginning of the year there were very few people who thought they would even make the playoffs, let alone win the division.

That's not all because of McK.

Not that Yeo hasn't gotten better, because he has to a degree.
Avs have been drafting in the top 3. No surprise they're good.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
Points = Record. The loser point counts. This is the rule by which the NHL operates.
Not when you are trying to determine if the team is any good or not. Winning a shootout doesn't make the team any better come playoff time.

ROW are a better measure of the team vs points.

By the same token, goal differential is another good indicator, because goals are a larger sample size than points or win, and the correlation is very high.

You can go a little further off statistically and look at some of the advanced stats, but that starts getting murky, because to achieve a high correlation, you need to filter a lot of score effects, and that reduces the sample size quite a bit (as well as ignores special teams which are a major component).

ROW and goal differential are the best measures IMO.

The other factor that is getting ignored is the roster, which improved drastically the last couple years.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And off those statistics:

ROW:
2010-11 36 (16th)
2011-12 24 (30th)
2012-13 22 (10th)
2013-14 35 (16th)

Goal Diff:
2010-11 -27 (21st)
2011-12 -49 (28th)
2012-13 -5 (18th)
2013-14 +1 (15th)

The team got a lot worse when Yeo took over, then got better by quite a bit with Parise/Suter?Brodin, and this year they actually are a bit worse in ROW and just a hair better in goal differential.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:17 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
Avs have been drafting in the top 3. No surprise they're good.
So have the Oil. And they've even chosen some good players with those picks.

It takes more than just good picks and players to be a good team.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
Last night Yeo coached very well. I've criticized him a lot but now he deserves recognition too, Wild just owned the Avs the whole night and he played the matchups perfectly. Also loved that new look third line centered by Haula. I'd move up Nino in Cooke's spot and maybe Veilleux on the 4th. Don't want to see Brodziak out there.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
Last night Yeo coached very well. I've criticized him a lot but now he deserves recognition too, Wild just owned the Avs the whole night and he played the matchups perfectly. Also loved that new look third line centered by Haula. I'd move up Nino in Cooke's spot and maybe Veilleux on the 4th. Don't want to see Brodziak out there.
I was never on the 'buyout Brodziak' train, but if he can't play in this series, what would be the point of bringing him back?

Old
04-22-2014, 11:37 AM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I was never on the 'buyout Brodziak' train, but if he can't play in this series, what would be the point of bringing him back?
Indeed. He's just in over his head at this point. I hope we go in different direction for our 4th line center next season. Haula has earned the 3rd line center spot already.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:39 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Indeed. He's just in over his head at this point. I hope we go in different direction for our 4th line center next season. Haula has earned the 3rd line center spot already.
Mccormick looks decent as the 4th line center...I'm not against bringing him back for that role

Old
04-22-2014, 12:01 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
I wonder what his injury is, and how much it's affecting him.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Agreed.

Nino - Haula - ? (Fontaine?) would be an excellent checking line with a scoring touch.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Heatley in that RW spot, or LW with Nino at the other wing. Haula is downright fast and Nino isn't a slouch speed-wise either, both work hard and with Haula's playmaking ability, I think he could find some excellent spots for #50in07 to bury that clap bomb.

So,

PPG
Moulson - Koivu - Coyle
Heatley - Haula - Niederreiter
Veilleux - Brodziak - McCormick
Fontaine

While Fonz looked pretty good during the regular season, I don't think this matchup is suited for him. Too small, and not strong enough to succeed in playoff hockey - yet. Although if he gets the call to play with Nino and Haula, he just might succeed simply due to his speed, shiftiness and finishing ability. Definitely a tough call. Still, we pretty much have to dress Brodz now that Cooke is out.

04-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One good game from Heatley with sheltered minutes shouldn't result in a bigger role. The last thing I want is for him to get on the ice vs MacKinnon.

Keep Heater on the fourth line. Let some of our quick young players like Haula and Fontaine stay on that third line.

I really like Nino on that third line for the matchup. He's been physical and really strong on the puck.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
One good game from Heatley with sheltered minutes shouldn't result in a bigger role. The last thing I want is for him to get on the ice vs MacKinnon.
This. The fourth line got caught on an icing last night and Roy was basically salivating when he sent out the MacKinnon line to take the draw. Luckily, we cleared the puck soon after the face-off and got a change, but that could have been very ugly.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:22 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Keep Heater on the fourth line. Let some of our quick young players like Haula and Fontaine stay on that third line.

I really like Nino on that third line for the matchup. He's been physical and really strong on the puck.
Heatley should not be in the line-up when the game is played in Colorado. Roy will have a field day with match-ups he can control with the last line change.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Heatley should not be in the line-up when the game is played in Colorado. Roy will have a field day with match-ups he can control with the last line change.
Said it before but agree 100%.

Old
04-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I would never have the 4th line take a faceoff in Colorado. Switch them on the fly, but don't let Roy match them up from the start.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Sportsfan1

Guy gets no credit, I tell ya I have my issues with him from time to time and can see the arguments for people who don't like him.

That being said, hopefully assuming we don't lose the next 2 games straight I'm kind of rooting for this guy to succeed and get an extension here. His teams seem to be growing more and more resilient. That being said, obviously let's see how these next two games unfold at least.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

I thought he looked like he had grown tremendously over the offseason when he started the year playing Detroit style puck possession.

I simply have no idea what to think of the guy. It just seems like he's a really slow learner as far as this head coaching stuff goes.

Old
04-23-2014, 10:25 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Agreed.

Nino - Haula - ? (Fontaine?) would be an excellent checking line with a scoring touch.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Heatley in that RW spot, or LW with Nino at the other wing. Haula is downright fast and Nino isn't a slouch speed-wise either, both work hard and with Haula's playmaking ability, I think he could find some excellent spots for #50in07 to bury that clap bomb.

So,

PPG
Moulson - Koivu - Coyle
Heatley - Haula - Niederreiter
Veilleux - Brodziak - McCormick
Fontaine

While Fonz looked pretty good during the regular season, I don't think this matchup is suited for him. Too small, and not strong enough to succeed in playoff hockey - yet. Although if he gets the call to play with Nino and Haula, he just might succeed simply due to his speed, shiftiness and finishing ability. Definitely a tough call. Still, we pretty much have to dress Brodz now that Cooke is out.
I like Nino on the LW, I want to see him with Haula and Fontaine.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:57 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
I like Nino on the LW, I want to see him with Haula and Fontaine.
Yup! Would be fun to watch and we know Nino likes to check, has great puck possession. Fontaine is great forechecker. And Haula has the wheels and pretty good puck possession as well. Could be a fun line to at least see at times if anything. Hell, it could very well be the 3rd line next year anyways.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:25 PM
57special

vCash: 249
Fontaine is a great forechecker?

Old
04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
Fontaine is a great forechecker?
Probably more previous teams talking than anything, but he's been better than what they've had in the B6 the last couple years it seems.

Old
04-23-2014, 06:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think Fontaine might get caught out of position a little too often. but then again he could play well. it all depends on if he's trying to do too much and step out of his role.

Closed Thread