HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The BlockBuster that wasn't : Blake Vs Nabokov

Old
03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
HosniMubarak

vCash: 500
The BlockBuster that wasn't : Blake Vs Nabokov

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6028

HosniMubarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I don't buy it. 5 million for Nabokov, 3 for Cloutier, how exactly did they expect to get rid of Cloutier?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
HosniMubarak

Maybe buy back cloutier's contract at the end of the year, and bring labs up for a Nabokov/Labs tandem duo

HosniMubarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Consider the source...

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Kingswin

Blake and Garon most likely.

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswin View Post
Blake and Garon most likely.
That wouldn't make sense for San Jose to take Garon (or any goalie) back. Were San Jose to dump Nabokov, they would have had either Nolan Schaefer or Dmitri Patzold to bring up to back up Toskala. Then Schaefer would be gone at season's end and by that time Thomas Greiss would be ready to assume full-time starting duties in Worcester.

San Jose's goalie pipeline is far too jammed with prospects for it to make any sense for the Sharks to bring in a goalie.

Also, I don't know if this trade is as ridiculous as one might think. Consider that Schaefer being shipped to Pittsburgh was one of the last deals done. Something so insignificant could've been done hours earlier unless there was a plan "a" (read: trading Nabokov or even Toskala) that fell through and forced Doug Wilson to resort to plan "b". Plus I could see Lombardi brining in someone like Nabokov, who was his guy during Dean's tenure San Jose.

The only oddity is that I'm pretty sure Toskala was already on the shelf at that time, and it would've looked weird for a playoff team to turn to Nolan Schaefer for a 4-5 game stretch between then and whenever Toskala returns.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
That wouldn't make sense for San Jose to take Garon (or any goalie) back. Were San Jose to dump Nabokov, they would have had either Nolan Schaefer or Dmitri Patzold to bring up to back up Toskala. Then Schaefer would be gone at season's end and by that time Thomas Greiss would be ready to assume full-time starting duties in Worcester.

San Jose's goalie pipeline is far too jammed with prospects for it to make any sense for the Sharks to bring in a goalie.

Also, I don't know if this trade is as ridiculous as one might think. Consider that Schaefer being shipped to Pittsburgh was one of the last deals done. Something so insignificant could've been done hours earlier unless there was a plan "a" (read: trading Nabokov or even Toskala) that fell through and forced Doug Wilson to resort to plan "b". Plus I could see Lombardi brining in someone like Nabokov, who was his guy during Dean's tenure San Jose.

The only oddity is that I'm pretty sure Toskala was already on the shelf at that time, and it would've looked weird for a playoff team to turn to Nolan Schaefer for a 4-5 game stretch between then and whenever Toskala returns.

a playoff team is putting it mildly... the Sharks were (are) still well in the fight for the division.

i just don't see Nabokov waiving his no-trade clause to go to a last place team.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Consider the source...
It was mentioned on the Versus game earlier tonight that Blake almost was a Shark at the deadline.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It was mentioned on the Versus game earlier tonight that Blake almost was a Shark at the deadline.
And where do you think they got that from?

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
And where do you think they got that from?
And where do you think that Eklund got that from? Mike Emerick was the one who said it on the air an hour ago, and he's been one of Eklund's past sources, so it would make sense for one of the 3 sources for this rumor to be Emerick.

Old
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Kinda tough for a deal to almost be made when both players have a no-trade clause. I somehow doubt Nabokov would be interested in moving from a playoff team to a cellar dweller. Plus the fact that Lombardi and Blake met to discuss his future with the team and how he fits into their long term plans as a leader.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Goallum

Quote:
And where do you think that Eklund got that from? Mike Emerick was the one who said it on the air an hour ago, and he's been one of Eklund's past sources, so it would make sense for one of Eklund's 3 sources for this rumor to be Emerick.
What I meant is that whatever was the source that prompted Eklund and Spector to report this rumor is bound to be at best the same worthless one relied upon by Emrick. In actuality, I'm guessing that in preparing for today's game, Emrick stopped by Spector, hockeybuzz, or both, and just repeated on the air what he read there.

Old
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
In actuality, I'm guessing that in preparing for today's game, Emrick stopped by Spector, hockeybuzz, or both, and just repeated on the air what he read there.
I hold Emerick's professionalism in higher regard than that. He wouldn't repeat something that he hadn't gotten confirmation on (which he could easily do), himself.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Goallum

Quote:
I hold Emerick's professionalism in higher regard than that. He wouldn't repeat something that he hadn't gotten confirmation on (which he could easily do), himself.
You give too much credit to someone who puts out a so-called "official" pronunciation guide that has a bunch of "official" pronunciations incorrect. Oh, and there's only one "e" in "Emrick."

Old
03-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Tadite

Well...

What could be could be I suppose.

That being said. Wouldn't it be nice to have a actual top-10 goalie on the Kings? When was the last time we could say that? 20 years?

Cloutier doesn't equal into the equation. Sure he is 3M of wasted cap room. Just got to move on beyond that. We need a legit goalie and if we have to end up paying 3M for some stupid backup or a AHL starter then that is just life. DL screwed up at we get to pay for it for the next 2 years.

Doesn't change that someone like a Nabokov would radically change this teams hopes...

I would have done this trade every day of the week and twice on sundays....

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:21 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Nabokov would have been nice to have....

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
PRMan

Actually, I don't see why Nabokov WOULDN'T waive his no trade clause. In San Jose, he's being pushed out by Toskela for the #1 job.

In LA, he'd be the #1 for sure and get tons of playing time.

Remember also that DL had a long talk with Blake about his no-trade the day before the deadline...

This seems plausible to me.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 06:56 PM
skolgoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
Actually, I don't see why Nabokov WOULDN'T waive his no trade clause. In San Jose, he's being pushed out by Toskela for the #1 job.

In LA, he'd be the #1 for sure and get tons of playing time.

Remember also that DL had a long talk with Blake about his no-trade the day before the deadline...

This seems plausible to me.
Agreed. He has history with Lombardi, he is going to a young exciting team, he doesn't have to leave the West Coast, Jack Johnson is mean enough to protect him ... ;-)

Blake would be more of an obstacle than Nabokov in my opinion.

skolgoar is offline   Reply With Quote