HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #3 | Rangers 4 at Flyers 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2014, 07:02 PM
  #401
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I don't know, I don't think you could fault him for going with his starter. It's not like Emery even played that great in game 2, those 2 goals he let in weren't great. He made a couple saves that kept us in it, but that's whats expected come playoffs.
Uhm yes he did & no they weren't bad goals. It's ok to admit it.

He played bad last night & was a big reason for the loss though.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:25 PM
  #402
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind switching the forward lines to something like this

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds (Giroux gets a winger who can find open spaces and has a good shot, Simmonds clears space for them)
Read-Couturier-Voracek (Voracek will get a lot of minutes with them and is good enough defensively, read and couturier have good shots as well)
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Akeson (Basically the left overs of the top 9, but hartnell and Akeson can help protect Vinny defensively. They get the least even strength minutes of the top 9)
Rinaldo-Raffl-Hall (add laughton to this line when his season ends)

as for the defense

MacD-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
Timonen-Schenn

and if Berube gains a few brain cells over night

Timonen-Coburn
MacD-Streit
Gus-Schenn

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:51 PM
  #403
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Uhm yes he did & no they weren't bad goals. It's ok to admit it.

He played bad last night & was a big reason for the loss though.
What? They were terrible goals that he couldn't get over for because he can't move. They weren't ideal situations, but they were telegraphed and very manageable saves for a goalie that can move laterally. That put us behind, he's lucky the team bailed him out with 4 goals.

He kept us in it then on out, but that had more to do with the team playing excellent defense than his great goaltending. He made a couple great saves, that doesn't entirely make up for letting in a couple softies though. This is the playoffs,this isn't time for "well he should have had it, but it's okay" anymore.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:11 AM
  #404
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
What? They were terrible goals that he couldn't get over for because he can't move. They weren't ideal situations, but they were telegraphed and very manageable saves for a goalie that can move laterally. That put us behind, he's lucky the team bailed him out with 4 goals.

He kept us in it then on out, but that had more to do with the team playing excellent defense than his great goaltending. He made a couple great saves, that doesn't entirely make up for letting in a couple softies though. This is the playoffs,this isn't time for "well he should have had it, but it's okay" anymore.


I don't think you really know what a soft goal looks like then if you think they were soft.

A good example of a soft goal would have been the first goal or the third goal he gave up last night.

It seems like your definition is any goal that ends up in the back of the net is soft.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:18 AM
  #405
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post


I don't think you really know what a soft goal looks like then if you think they were soft.

A good example of a soft goal would have been the first goal or the third goal he gave up last night.

It seems like your definition is any goal that ends up in the back of the net is soft.
Eh, I strongly disliked the 4th goal. It was a direct result of Emery needing to really open up his butterfly to push himself anywhere

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:28 AM
  #406
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Eh, I strongly disliked the 4th goal. It was a direct result of Emery needing to really open up his butterfly to push himself anywhere
I can't even remember it to be honest but if you want to throw that in there be my guess I'm sure it's a hell of a better example of a soft goal than the two on Saturday.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:35 AM
  #407
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I can't even remember it to be honest but if you want to throw that in there be my guess I'm sure it's a hell of a better example of a soft goal than the two on Saturday.
Was Saturday the second game? I can't remember. These 15 year breaks between games make it hard to keep up with the series, who's still on the roster, whether the NHL even exists still, etc.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:37 AM
  #408
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Was Saturday the second game? I can't remember. These 15 year breaks between games make it hard to keep up with the series, who's still on the roster, whether the NHL even exists still, etc.
Oops typed Saturday instead of Sunday.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:39 AM
  #409
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Oops typed Saturday instead of Sunday.

Yeaaaaaah, doesn't change my post. At this rate we will have expansion teams on the moon before the series finishes.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 01:11 AM
  #410
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post


I don't think you really know what a soft goal looks like then if you think they were soft.

A good example of a soft goal would have been the first goal or the third goal he gave up last night.

It seems like your definition is any goal that ends up in the back of the net is soft.
The second one was incredibly soft, the guy flubbed the shot and Emery was still too slow to get in the way. Everyone called him on that one.

The first one wasn't soft, but it was definitely manageable. It was clear the puck was going to St Louis, Emery saw it, but his pitiful attempt to get over gave Marty an open net to shoot at. If he could move, he had an excellent shot at making that save.

In the most recent game he had 3 awful goals he let in, which happened to be the difference that let the Rangers win. If he makes those saves to start the game, it's an entirely different game instead of having the Rangers turn into a shot-blocking defensive shell which let them kill any momentum home ice gave us.

The .888SV% says everything you need to know about Emery's performance so far. It's sad because Henrik has been a little leaky, with good goaltending we might have been able to steal Game 1 until Emery's slowness was exploited on the PP, and we were the better team in Game 3 while the goaltending was the difference.

PS I don't think we had any business winning game 1, but being tied with 10 minutes or so left, a good goalie could have gotten it to OT and we could've hoped for a lucky goal. Some people have become so conditioned to expect bad goaltending that they think a .888 save percentage is acceptable in the playoffs. Out of 10 goals against total, Emery is solely responsible for probably at least 5, and most of the others are his slowness being exposed.

Edit: And it's a .888 save percentage against the Rangers! They aren't even a playoff-caliber team offensively, ranked 18th. At least Quick and Bryzgalov have an excuse for their numbers playing against good offensive teams. Lundqvist is at .930 FWIW.

.888 guys. Imagine if Mason had been able to start this series, I bet it would look completely different. Even with really low expectations going into this, Emery has not been good.


Last edited by blinds: 04-24-2014 at 01:36 AM.
blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 01:11 AM
  #411
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: is what I do
Country: United States
Posts: 40,668
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeaaaaaah, doesn't change my post. At this rate we will have expansion teams on the moon before the series finishes.
aren't games 5,6,7 3 games in 4 nights?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 01:26 AM
  #412
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
The second one was incredibly soft, the guy flubbed the shot and Emery was still too slow to get in the way. Everyone called him on that one.

The first one wasn't soft, but it was definitely manageable. It was clear the puck was going to St Louis, Emery saw it, but his pitiful attempt to get over gave Marty an open net to shoot at. If he could move, he had an excellent shot at making that save.

In the most recent game he had 3 awful goals he let in, which happened to be the difference that let the Rangers win. If he makes those saves to start the game, it's an entirely different game instead of having the Rangers turn into a shot-blocking defensive shell which let them kill any momentum home ice gave us.

The .888SV% says everything you need to know about Emery's performance so far. It's sad because Henrik has been a little leaky, with good goaltending we might have been able to steal Game 1 until Emery's slowness was exploited on the PP, and we were the better team in Game 3 while the goaltending was the difference.

PS I don't think we had any business winning game 1, but being tied with 10 minutes or so left, a good goalie could have gotten it to OT and we could've hoped for a lucky goal.
People call him out for every goal he lets in on here so that's not exactly a great way justifying it.

I admitted he played horrible last night & was a big reason for the loss so I don't even know why you're bringing it up. However he was a big reason for the win on Sunday.

As for Game 1 I'm not even getting into hypotheticals, when you put up 15 shots with about one of them actually being a legit chance it's hard to even hint at goaltending.

You just have a hard time giving credit where it was due. It's pretty obvious.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 01:26 AM
  #413
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7
 
Random Forest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
The second one was incredibly soft, the guy flubbed the shot and Emery was still too slow to get in the way. Everyone called him on that one.

The first one wasn't soft, but it was definitely manageable. It was clear the puck was going to St Louis, Emery saw it, but his pitiful attempt to get over gave Marty an open net to shoot at. If he could move, he had an excellent shot at making that save.

In the most recent game he had 3 awful goals he let in, which happened to be the difference that let the Rangers win. If he makes those saves to start the game, it's an entirely different game instead of having the Rangers turn into a shot-blocking defensive shell which let them kill any momentum home ice gave us.

The .888SV% says everything you need to know about Emery's performance so far. It's sad because Henrik has been a little leaky, with good goaltending we might have been able to steal Game 1 until Emery's slowness was exploited on the PP, and we were the better team in Game 3 while the goaltending was the difference.

PS I don't think we had any business winning game 1, but being tied with 10 minutes or so left, a good goalie could have gotten it to OT and we could've hoped for a lucky goal. Some people have become so conditioned to expect bad goaltending that they think a .888 save percentage is acceptable in the playoffs. Out of 10 goals against total, Emery is solely responsible for probably at least 5, and most of the others are his slowness being exposed.

Edit: And it's a .888 save percentage against the Rangers! They aren't even a playoff-caliber team offensively, ranked 18th. At least Quick and Bryzgalov have an excuse for their numbers playing against good offensive teams. Lundqvist is at .930 FWIW.

.888 guys. Imagine if Mason had been able to start this series, I bet it would look completely different. Emery has not been good.
So what you're saying is that Emery should have given up 1 goal in the past two games?

On the whole, he hasn't played well, but this post is ridiculous.

Random Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 07:59 AM
  #414
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
People call him out for every goal he lets in on here so that's not exactly a great way justifying it.

I admitted he played horrible last night & was a big reason for the loss so I don't even know why you're bringing it up. However he was a big reason for the win on Sunday.

As for Game 1 I'm not even getting into hypotheticals, when you put up 15 shots with about one of them actually being a legit chance it's hard to even hint at goaltending.

You just have a hard time giving credit where it was due. It's pretty obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
So what you're saying is that Emery should have given up 1 goal in the past two games?

On the whole, he hasn't played well, but this post is ridiculous.
The only thing he deserves credit for in this series is keeping us in it after we got a 3-2 lead in game 2. It's kinda washed out by him allowing the first two goals anyway, though, and it had more to do with the team playing great defense like we occasionally see when we play 60 minutes. I do give him credit though, he did what was needed of him and I remember at least one great save on a chance from the slot, but we'll need more consistent efforts than two good periods in three games.

I'm not saying he should have only let in one goal in the last two games, but we need a goalie who can keep us in one goal games and Emery clearly can't. Emery is making this Rangers offense look good when it isn't.

I mean Jesus Christ, go back and look at every goal against. You guys are giving him way too much credit for the win, that was a hard-fought team win. The game tying and game winning goals in Game 1 were on him for poor rebound control and slow lateral movement. Game 2 he starts off by letting in a terrible goal and an easily saveable goal (if you have hips). Game 3 he lets in an incredibly weak one to start off our home games that we never recovered from and then lets in another two weak goals for ****'s sake.

He's the reason we've had to play from behind for the past two games, and NYR is one of the last teams you want to be playing from behind against.

This guy is a terrible liability, and when your goalie is a liability in the playoffs, you lose.


Last edited by blinds: 04-24-2014 at 08:15 AM.
blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.