HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Series Talk WCQF: (7) Amerks vs. (2) Wolves Amerks ousted after Game 5 loss

Old
04-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Zip15

vCash: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxSabre View Post
The second question is the correct one. At one of the practices last week, either Kevin or Rob tweeted that they got the line order from when they did the first drill of practice so in this case the Grigorenko-Adam-Cattenacci line on Monday went fourth of the four lines. I'm going to take a guess that the GAC line is the Amerks top line with them at the worst being the second line come game time on Friday.
I would actually guess they're the third line, behind Larsson-Varone (Team MVP)-Zigo/Tardif (once healthy, they'll displace Hutchings), and the Porter line. In any event, it doesn't really matter. That "4th line" with Gillies-Schaller-Irwin has been on fire, so I think they'll get a lot of ice time, too.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:36 PM
SabresFan26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I would actually guess they're the third line, behind Larsson-Varone (Team MVP)-Zigo/Tardif (once healthy, they'll displace Hutchings), and the Porter line. In any event, it doesn't really matter. That "4th line" with Gillies-Schaller-Irwin has been on fire, so I think they'll get a lot of ice time, too.
This

SabresFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:01 PM
barcs
Ugistered Reger

A fully healthy lineup will be interesting. Hutchings is probably first out. Then I'd imagine it'd be Armia.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:09 PM
mgeise

That's actually a pretty solid lineup. This should be a good series.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:56 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 0
Amerks' Hopes Ride On Rookie Goalie - Kevin Oklobzija - RochesterandChronicle.com - Thursday, April 24.

If the playoff pressure has started to mount, Andrey Makarov sure doesn't show it. The rookie goaltender is still very much his happy-go-lucky self. His motto always appears to be: why fret when you can smile? Makarov emerged from the Rochester Americans dressing room on Wednesday morning and was asked the generic, "What's up?" His reply: "Just learning how to play hockey." Followed by that big grin.

With the start of Calder Cup first round series against the Chicago Wolves fast approaching, there has been no change in Makarov as the Amerks ramp up their practice intensity. And the Amerks hope it stays that way. He is, after all, a primary reason they earned the invitation to the Calder Cup party. He won his last seven starts and provided his teammates with a jolt of confidence during their 7-1-1 closing romp. "He keeps us in games when we get a little leaky," coach Chadd Cassidy said.

But playoff series is a different beast. It's night-after-night showdown with the same team. You learn tendencies. So does the opponent. Along the way, competitive dislike often morphs into on-ice hatred. Sometimes rookies wilt. Sometimes, they thrive. Especially rookie goalies.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...merks/8077967/

LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Im going Saturday, hopefully if Sabrefan is right thats the game they win

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:43 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Im going Saturday, hopefully if Sabrefan is right thats the game they win
I think they'll split at home, not sure which one. Chicago finishes it up there. Chicago is like 33-9 over the past few months. They are extremely good.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Burt Sivon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I think they'll split at home, not sure which one. Chicago finishes it up there. Chicago is like 33-9 over the past few months. They are extremely good.
Chicago did quite well recently

Burt Sivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Post Morning Skate Interviews: Apr 24

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 06:39 PM
LaxSabre

@BuffaloSabres - #Sabres Anthem Singer Doug Allen will perform the National Anthem prior to @AmerksHockey's playoff games
Friday/Saturday in Rochester.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 04-24-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old
04-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Dex

I'm impressed with the forward lineup for the Amerks. Looks strong and deep through my Sabres provided organizational "spectra vision glasses". That's supposed to be humorous.

I'm happy for Makarov and hope he can sustain his level of play through the playoffs. Also hoping Lieuwen gets healthy enough to play effectively if something goes awry.

Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:49 AM
LaxSabre

‏@RSandersonWHTK - #ChicagoWolves entourage had to split up onto 6 different flights to get to Rochester today:

Calder Cup Playoff Blog - Planes, Goalies and Power-Plays - ChicagoWolves.com - Thursday, April 24.

http://chicagowolves.com/news/featur...nd-power-plays

The Chicago Wolves don’t play their first Western Conference Quarterfinals game until 6:00 pm CT Friday, but they’ve already set a team record: Most planes required to get the team to the game. Because the Wolves didn’t learn the identity of their playoff opponent until 9:45 pm CT last Saturday, assistant general manager Bill Bentley and hockey operations assistant Norine Gillner had to go to ridiculous lengths to book the team’s trip to Rochester.

Turns out Rochester is a hot destination this time of year. Bentley and Gillner had to spread the Wolves traveling party between an unprecedented SIX flights that went from O’Hare to Rochester on Thursday.

General manager Wendell Young and several others were on the 6:30 am CT flight. The players were split between three subsequent flights, which meant a few Wolves didn’t get to participate in Thursday’s practice in Hoffman Estates. The coaches were slated to depart at 5:10 pm CT while two members of the TV production crew had the 7:39 pm CT flight. That wasn’t the only problem. The Wolves’ usual bus company didn’t have any availability. Their traditional hotel choices were booked up as well.

But fear not. This story should end well. For the trip back to O’Hare on Sunday, the team is only split between three flights. For now.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 04-25-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old
04-25-2014, 03:07 AM
LaxSabre

Amerks Ready For Wolves-Round One - Amerks.com - Thursday, April 24.

It is not very often that a nine-game winless streak propels a hockey club into the postseason. Oddly enough, that was just the case for this season’s Rochester Americans.

On March 28, the Amerks were dealt a hard-fought home defeat at the hands of their North Division rivals, the Toronto Marlies. Despite holding serve with Toronto for most of the game, the Amerks allowed a late goal in the third period before eventually faltering 4-2.

The team was already playing without veterans Drew Bagnall, Mike Zigomanis and Jamie Tardif due to injury, and top defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen had recently been recalled to the injury-depleted Buffalo Sabres.

Playing in the playoffs seemed like a far-fetched proposition. The Amerks needed to get healthy and right the ship quickly, or any hope of extending their season into the Calder Cup Playoffs would be lost.

http://www.amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=1022

Amerks Open Calder Cup Playoffs This Weekend - Chicago Wolves - Ticket Info Included - Amerks.com - Thursday, April 24.
http://www.amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=1021

Amerks Playoff Games - Chicago Wolves - To Be Broadcast On WHAM 1180 AM - Amerks.com - Wednesday, April 23.
http://www.amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=1019

Last edited by LaxSabre: 04-25-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old
04-25-2014, 06:28 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Irwin and Hutchings over Freddy Roy

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:38 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Jake Chelios. Wow.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Note: OP updates

4.23 The sign that dictates the terms of the hunt (ChicagoWolves.com Lindsay Willhite)

4.24 Amerks ready for Wolves in Round 1 (Amerks.com Justin Ritzel)

4.24 Amerks hungry to succeed (D&C Kevin Oklobzija)

4.24 Amerks start playoff run tonight (TBN John Vogl)

4.25 Sabres prospect Schaller developing into all-around talent with Amerks (Olean Times Herald Bill Hoppe)

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Zip15

vCash: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Irwin and Hutchings over Freddy Roy
Irwin has earned it. I've never understood what Cassidy sees in Hutchings, and I certainly don't like him on that line. Perhaps Cassidy's hoping that he can replicate his 1+1 performance from earlier in the season against Chicago.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:10 AM
sabrefan27

Hutchings does add speed, which the Amerks aren't really abundant in. He's pretty solid all around, but definitely shouldn't be on that line.

If it were me, Roy would be playing with Grigorenko since they have familiarity and Adam would be on the Varone line.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:17 AM
26CornerBlitz

@kevinoDandC

The same group of 15 forwards, 8 D-men and 2 goalies out for the #Amerks morning skate. Tardif skating, Zigomanis is not.

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Revelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Hutchings does add speed, which the Amerks aren't really abundant in. He's pretty solid all around, but definitely shouldn't be on that line.

If it were me, Roy would be playing with Grigorenko since they have familiarity and Adam would be on the Varone line.
agree with this.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:14 AM
LaxSabre

Game #1 Preview Article - Amerks, Wolves Open Postseason Tonight! - Amerks.com - Friday, April 25.

Tonight’s Game: After meeting just twice in the regular season, the Rochester Americans and Chicago Wolves open the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs tonight in Game #1 of their best-of-five Western Conference Quarterfinals at The Blue Cross Arena. Game time is slated for a 7:05 pm ET start with all the action carried LIVE on WHAM 1180 AM.

http://www.amerks.com/preview.asp?gameID=20140425

Amerks Open Playoffs - 5 Things To Watch For - Matthew Coller - WGR550.com - Friday, April 24.

(1) Makarov vs. Allen. (2) Future Defense. (3) #Grigopalooza (4) Don’t mess with Johan. (5) Fantastic Fin or No Show Joel? -
http://www.wgr550.com/Amerks-open-pl...h-for/18886621

Paul LaTour @platour68 - Here's my #CalderCup advance for the #ChicagoWolves in today's @ChicagoTribune. #stlblues #ahl -
Wolves have playoff work cut out for them on the road - http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3579997.story

Don Stevens going to be on Hockey Hotline - WGR 550 AM - in a few minutes.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 04-25-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old
04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
26CornerBlitz

Amerks open playoffs: 5 things to watch for (Matthew Coller WGR.com)

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:28 AM
joshjull

I'm very interested to see/hear how Pysyk/Risto play together tonight.

Have they been together before?

I'm assuming they are the top pairing. Should we expect heavy minutes? In the 25min range? Or will there be more balance?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:00 PM
LaxSabre

@Chicago_Wolves - Tale of the Tape: Game 1 of Western Conference Quarterfinals -
http://www.chicagowolves.com/news/ga...-quarterfinals

@Chicago_Wolves - Dimitrij Jaskin has just returned to the #ChicagoWolves. And, yes, he's with the team in Rochester for tonight's Game 1 of the playoffs! (LaxSabre - had 15 goals and 14 assists in 42 games for the Wolves this past regular season.)

‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks asst. Randy Cunneyworth taking notes as his old coaching partner with Atlanta Thrashers, John Anderson, runs Wolves morning skate. Gene Ubriaco, Sr. Advisor for Wolves hockey ops, laced up the skates and is taking a spin. He's 76. Played for the #Amerks in 1960-61.

‏@RSandersonWHTK - #AHL Goalie of the Year Jake Allen takes shots during #ChicagoWolves morning skate. -
http://instagram.com/p/nN8TPVLW_6/#

Last edited by LaxSabre: 04-25-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old
04-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm very interested to see/hear how Pysyk/Risto play together tonight.

Have they been together before?

I'm assuming they are the top pairing. Should we expect heavy minutes? In the 25min range? Or will there be more balance?
I think they have only played together at the end of the regular season.

I read that Pysyk was playing closer to 30min towards the end of the season. I can see the pair playing in the 25min range in the playoffs.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote