HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Janssen hit v Kaberle.

Old
03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
Janssen hit v Kaberle.

Now that is what I'd call a dirty hit.

1) Later than the Neil hit.
2) Janssen left his feet to make it.
3) As far as I can tell he actually made initial contract with Kaberle's head, although the replay angle obscures this somewhat.

It was so far behind the play that the ref couldn't see it, but I would be shocked if we didn't see at least a couple game suspension come down on Janssen from the league offices.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:08 PM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Now that is what I'd call a dirty hit.

1) Later than the Neil hit.
2) Janssen left his feet to make it.
3) As far as I can tell he actually made initial contract with Kaberle's head, although the replay angle obscures this somewhat.

It was so far behind the play that the ref couldn't see it, but I would be shocked if we didn't see at least a couple game suspension come down on Janssen from the league offices.
1- Yes
2- I don't think so
3- Yes, definitely

These hits have absolutely no place in the game. Kaberle makes a skill play, one that you see Lids make all the time, and then this meathead takes a run at him with no concern whatsoever for Kaberle's health. The hit served absolutely no purpose other than to injure. It is disgusting and this guy needs to pay. I would give him 5 games but the league won't.

Disgusting.

ShippinItDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Agree that it was dirty.
Agree that the league needs to come down hard on stuff like this.
Agree the league probably won't do much, if anything.

For all of the talk during the Bertuzzi and McSorely incidents that the league polices itself and needs to have on-ice incidents handled by the league itself, they have a lousy track record of punishing players for blatantly dirty hits and actions.

The one penalty the league needs to put into the game before next season is, at minimum, a five minute major for hits to the head.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:20 PM
jacK

yah, way later than the drury one... if he didn't leave his feet, he certainly lunged upward to hit the head. absolutely pathetic.

you get a personal foul in the nfl for brushing a qb's head (ridiculous on some plays, but they're laying the law) and i agree w/ Winger that penalties should be stricter on head shots, i'd even go so far as to say it should be a match penalty.
the league needs to grow a pair here and lay the law itself.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:05 PM
cmccallum

I was at this game... i wasn't watching Cam Janssen and his 5 minutes a game of playing time. i was watching the puck. Cam from what i saw out of the corner of my eye looked to have went high on Kaberle. So i didn't get a great look at the play. Leafs didn't respond physically to Cam... because he was benched for the rest of the game for the hit. I totally agree with the benching of Cam for the rest of the game. I haven't seen a video of the hit but what i heard from others around me it could have been called a penalty.

Where we were seated and though it was tough to see what exactly happened talking to other people in my section. Indeed it was definitley late and away from the play.

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Boomhower

Is there a youtube?

I know Janssen is notorious for leaping into his hits and has been since junior, but he has openly announced that he's working on trying to stay grounded.

Edit:n/m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDUNn8q4qo

Pretty late, but Kaberle saw him coming. Not one of the dirtiest hit I've seen, it was just a bad distance from the boards.

Last edited by Boomhower: 03-04-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
14ari13

Bowman says:
http://www.fan590.com/mediaplayer/au...s-20070306.mp3

Don Cherry says:

Cherry wonders why they listen to Bowman and they did not want to listen to him, when he was saying the same all the time.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Bowman says:

Don Cherry says:

Cherry wonders why they listen to Bowman and they did not want to listen to him, when he was saying the same all the time.
As far as the equipment statements, it's not a valid point in this instance. Janssen wears the old school shoulder pads and elbow pads. He doesn't have the gladiator style hard plastic pads.

More Bowman:

Bowman's opinion on Williams trade: Calder is a greasier player than Williams, I'm not putting the soft performances in the last two playoffs on Williams, but....

Bertuzzi: 'risk, but not a high risk'. Generally likes the move.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 06:27 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Probably because Cherry is a loudmouth dimwit while Bowman is a serious, accomplished man with some real gravitas to his opinions as opposed to Cherry's 10-minutes-to-close, bravado-laced, more than halfthoughtless diatribes.

If people listened to Cherry, Europeans wouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL, more or less. A guy can't be wildly inflammatory and then whine that people don't take one of his suggestions seriously on the off-chance he actually spends more than .0000002 seconds formulating an opinion on something.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is as entertaining as they come... just not the first (or fifth, or thirtieth) person I'd go to for a legitimate hockey opinion.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 06:28 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Probably because Cherry is a loudmouth dimwit while Bowman is a serious, accomplished man with some real gravitas to his opinions as opposed to Cherry's 10-minutes-to-close, bravado-laced, more than halfthoughtless diatribes.

If people listened to Cherry, Europeans wouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL, more or less. A guy can't be wildly inflammatory and then whine that people don't take one of his suggestions seriously on the off-chance he actually spends more than .0000002 seconds formulating an opinion on something.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is as entertaining as they come... just not the first (or fifth, or thirtieth) person I'd go to for a legitimate hockey opinion.

Same here, I think he is funny, but I would always be careful about his opinions. He called them himselv and wanted to talk after he was listening to Bowman.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Thanks for the links, Ari. Cherry's a kook. A highly entertaining kook, but he's not exactly reasonable.