HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien

View Poll Results: Rate Michel Therrien
Good 157 49.37%
Average 119 37.42%
Bad 42 13.21%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-25-2014, 06:45 AM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Therrien during the regular season is not the same Therrien as now. I'm sure it's been argues that this was his plan all along, but I don't buy it. He's somehow seen the light. I think the biggest indicator of that was his treatment of Subban, including his praise. (Why now, but not during a playoff race?)

He's been very good the past series IMO. The real test awaits in rd2.

Q. Last time we beat the bruins in a series, who had the series-winning goal? (funny)

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:48 AM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Therrien during the regular season is not the same Therrien as now. I'm sure it's been argues that this was his plan all along, but I don't buy it. He's somehow seen the light. I think the biggest indicator of that was his treatment of Subban, including his praise. (Why now, but not during a playoff race?)

He's been very good the past series IMO. The real test awaits in rd2.

Q. Last time we beat the bruins in a series, who had the series-winning goal? (funny)
Mike Komisarek right?

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:56 AM
RIPFORUMRDS

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
Mike Komisarek right?
I remember in game 7 mark streit with a beauty near the end of the game but it was the third or fourth one...

If not Komisarek i got a feeeeeeeling that it will be a good night. My bad, Got a feeling it was Lapierre.

RIPFORUMRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:03 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

What in god's name are you talking about? I don't care that he's french.
You know the problem is one of two possibilities. Either you probably have a serious problem reading or I can't write. I used you as an example of someone who doesn't like Therrien but NEVER, NEVER - as in NOT ONCE, as in NOT EVER- mentioned the fact that he was francophone. Jeeze, man, stop creating drama where NONE exists.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:04 AM
habtastic

yep, it was Komisarek. But yeah, that Streit goal was ridiculous. I remember it so vividly.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant mccagg View Post

that has been what has impressed me most about therrien this season - he has been adaptable and flexible. He really has matured as a coach. He didn't panic or throw anyone under the bus when the team faced adversity after the olympics...he stopped criticizing players publicly and began praising more often... He has been willing to address his faults,and change his ways.

I've also done some changing..i've changed my opinion on his abilities as a coach. He's improved substantially. I think bergy, carriere and duds deserve some credit for that..as do gallant jjd and jodoin. It's becoming evident that the management and coaching staffs are co-existing comfortably, and there is respect.
this!!!! And that's respeck to you.

Last edited by Habs Icing: 04-25-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old
04-25-2014, 07:17 AM
hockeyfan2k11

So therriens plan was to cripple the team by playing like crap while stunting the development of several young players winning games with just one line in the regular seasion then hope to run into a team with no goalie and squeak out wins in the 1st round of the playoffs? Is this what people are running with? Can't wait to read what he masterminded for the next series. We beat a team that we were better than. Its that simple. If you want to give MT credit for that fine. He deserves it. But to act like he is a changed man and flipped a switch is ridiculous. Its almost as ridiculous as the Ovie/Gallagher thread.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay first you are asking me what is "a lot". Yet, the phrase after you,re saying yourself "MANY prefered the recruiting net to be larger....See my A LOT, add your MANY, and I guess it's something in between....but it,s surely more than "hardly enough to worth mentioning".
WS, how do you know there's a lot of Therrien detractors who hate him because he was hired simply as a francophone? You're a detractor and i didn't hear it from you. Lafleurs Guy is a detractor and I haven't heard from him. Kriss is a detractor and he hasn't mentioned anything about that.

I can remember one or two who came out and stated that the only reason Therrien was hired was because he was a francophone. One or two is closer to a couple than to a lot.

A lot is actually more than many

definition of a lot from dictionary.com

Very many, a large number; also, very much.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I dunno - the team the finished the year 11-3-1?
Now why would you bring up their record? Don't you know their record has nothing to do with what they accomplished?

Old
04-25-2014, 07:23 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
WS, how do you know there's a lot of Therrien detractors who hate him because he was hired simply as a francophone? You're a detractor and i didn't hear it from you. Lafleurs Guy is a detractor and I haven't heard from him. Kriss is a detractor and he hasn't mentioned anything about that.

I can remember one or two who came out and stated that the only reason Therrien was hired was because he was a francophone. One or two is closer to a couple than to a lot.

A lot is actually more than many

definition of a lot from dictionary.com

Very many, a large number; also, very much.
To say language wasn't a factor is dishonest. Was it the only factor? No. But if Michel did not speak French he would not be the coach. That's all I'll say. I don't want to spark a language debate. My beef with MT has always been his coaching not what language he speaks.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:27 AM
RIPFORUMRDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So therriens plan was to cripple the team by playing like crap while stunting the development of several young players winning games with just one line in the regular seasion then hope to run into a team with no goalie and squeak out wins in the 1st round of the playoffs? Is this what people are running with? Can't wait to read what he masterminded for the next series. We beat a team that we were better than. Its that simple. If you want to give MT credit for that fine. He deserves it. But to act like he is a changed man and flipped a switch is ridiculous. Its almost as ridiculous as the Ovie/Gallagher thread.
I dont think it was his plan to stunt the youth. But his plan resulted in that ( again, he wasnt doing the mistake on the ice, they were ). Personally i think his plan was to put a system that could win in the serie against tougher team. So they played that '' grindy '' style all year long so the player would understand it and be able to play it when it comes down to it. Tampa not being one of those tough team, he and his coaching staff understood that and told them ( my opinion only ) to be the speedy and play the counter attack team ( offensive? ) they were last year.

Michel didnt change much. Im sure he wanted to say more then he said during the coach interview after the game but MB or someone else told him to stay calm. And maybe, who know, just maybe, he learned from last year debacle with paul maclean being under his skin.

Im not sure its ridiculous to think someone can adapt and become a better coach. At one point in your life, you understand how you failed and you try to be better. Is this the case? We dont know. Fans, me including, are assuming and everyone of us see things differently.

As for Michel being taken, yes, french was the #1 criteria and me too, even as a pure laine , i think its a bit stupid that we dont consider coaches that dont speak french. How many of decent/average to good coach with experience speak french? Not a lot. I'm hoping one day that the other pure laine could evolute a bit and understand that, if they keep doing it, we wont have the best coach when they are looking for one. Yes, mtl is in qc. Yes, qc is a majority of french speaking person, i get all that but we arent in 1970 anymore guys.... Its 2014. Now its a business, a BIG business. If you think G Molson only bought the team because his dad was one day a owner, you are wrong ( not you hockeyfan2011). he bought the team because the habs are one of biggest cash cow in the hockey business.

I'll never forget when some fans rioted in front of the bell center when Cunneyworth was hired. Most of them cant even speak or write correctly french and they are rioting? Seriously man? Pathetic. Cunneyworth, imo was not a good coach, not even average. I wont say he had no clue but.... i wasnt impressed at all and i gave him a good chance before i made my mind on him

Last edited by RIPFORUMRDS: 04-25-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old
04-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
To say language wasn't a factor is dishonest. Was it the only factor? No. But if Michel did not speak French he would not be the coach. That's all I'll say. I don't want to spark a language debate. My beef with MT has always been his coaching not what language he speaks.
And that's what I said.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Big Lurk

Put Bishop in net and suddenly Therrien is not a genius anymore

Stop overreacting the man hasnt changed his coaching ways in in 4 games lol

Big Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
We started the reg season in October and finished in April. That's a bout 6 months. The team that started in October is not the same team that finished in April. Not only did the make up of the team change but players that were here all season long had changes in their game.

Does DD ring a bell? Patches had a very slow start to his season. At the beginning of the season if you remember we had to scrounge around for d-men because of the injuries.

Since then the kinks have been worked out and we've added Weaver, Weise, Wanek ( I like alliteration). DD has found his game, patches woke up, Subban has returned to his Norris level. That gives Therrien room to adapt his system.

And I don't care how many times it will be repeated. This team earned 100 points during the season and 8 (if you listen to Bourque) during the playoffs. The man deserves credit NOT criticism.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:39 AM
RIPFORUMRDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lurk View Post

How can you even type that is beyond me since it didnt happen. Opinion = opinion.
I respect your opinion , its just that i dont understand the reasoning behind it. Did you already forget how poorly the bolt were in defense or in turn over?

And honestly, i dont recall anyone typing MT is a or was genius in that serie. What i recall tho, is people typing he did a decent/good job. I think you are overreacting or not understanding that being good doest mean being a genious.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:

If you want to play that game then so will I. Except for the overtime period in the first game, Price played as badly as Lindback. It didn't show because the Lightning didn't get as many chances as the Habs. And why is that? Because the rest of the Habs team outplayed the rest of the Lightning team. Are you gonna tell me some other important players were missing from the lineup?

Maybe if Price would have played to his level, none of the games would have been close.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:54 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

Pretty much this. Can't wait to get my Bourque jersey in the mail.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:00 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
We started the reg season in October and finished in April. That's a bout 6 months. The team that started in October is not the same team that finished in April. Not only did the make up of the team change but players that were here all season long had changes in their game.

Does DD ring a bell? Patches had a very slow start to his season. At the beginning of the season if you remember we had to scrounge around for d-men because of the injuries.

Since then the kinks have been worked out and we've added Weaver, Weise, Wanek ( I like alliteration). DD has found his game, patches woke up, Subban has returned to his Norris level. That gives Therrien room to adapt his system.

And I don't care how many times it will be repeated. This team earned 100 points during the season and 8 (if you listen to Bourque) during the playoffs. The man deserves credit NOT criticism.
Who's criticizing him? The worst thing is the people who sit here and try to re-write history as if Therrien wasn't handicapping the team this year. Now all of a sudden he has this world class system and masterminded everything. Give me a break. No problem giving Therrien credit. But lets not insult the intelligence of people here by saying that he planned all of this.. Sure.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Le philantrope
Rebuilding since '93

Quote:

...My beef with MT has always been his coaching...
I'm wondering how can you come to the conclusion that he crippled the development of our young players. Are you a sport psychologist ? Are you working with athletes ? Or are you simply drawing conclusions from what we are seeing as fans, in 24CH or hockey games, like most of us do ?

If so, I'd really like to know how are Subban / Galchenyuk worst players today than they were last year ? The team is better and the proof is that they swept a series (albeit against a bad backup goalie), and had a surprising 100 points season (most pegged the Habs out of playoffs).

Anyways, what I find ridiculous is your stance that you're going to give him credit ONLY IF we get past the 2nd round, and you and I know that there is a high possibility that we end up playing Boston, the best team in the East. Dude in no way shape or form is this team competing with a team like Boston *on paper. They have more depth, as good a goaltender, and much more muscles. Again, on paper, it ain't even close. So the only way to convince you that he IS a good coach and did good coaching with youngsters is to win a series against the best team in the East la Cinderella story ?

IMO, he did what he had to do. Remember Martin benching Subban. How good it was for him in the long run. Habs don't need a Mike Green, a Erik Karlsson. Those guys put up great stats, yet they are detrimental to their team's performances more often than not. I'm glad he put Subban on rails with the rest of the team, to play his system. And Subban ain't no Bobby Orr, sorry to burst your bubble. He has the potential to be a great no1, a 2way responsible D that can log in 25+ mins.

And as far as Galchenyuk goes, I fear he was rushed to the NHL and also, he suffered injuries, it's hard to come back from an injury top shape, and he's in a learning process, in no way shape or form you put pressure on a young guy like that. MT knows that he had to put his eggs in the DD basket because that guy is a much more mature player that can handle the pressure. And evidence proves that i'm right and that you're wrong.

Also, I'd just like to add that in my hockey career I suffered a broken collarbone and a separated shoulder on the same friggin shoulder when I came back because muscles get atrophied when you rest with an injury, all in the same year. It's very hard to come back and perform as good as you were before. You, on the other hand would've liked MT to put Gally at center, put Eller on top line, and put DD on the wing or pressbox. Thank God you're not the Habs coach.

Could you breakdown what exactly you don't like about his coaching ? Like putting the team first and player stats second ? Is that bad ?

Last edited by Le philantrope: 04-25-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Le philantrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Le philantrope
Rebuilding since '93

Quote:

Dude, you really think that the Habs wouldn't win this series even with Bishop in net ? Would the Habs've won the series against the Sens last year if Eller / Price don't get injured ?

Injuries happen and the results can be affected by them but with that many IFs we end up colonizing Mars as the Earth collides with Planet X. In other words, completely delusional you are.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:17 AM
Le philantrope
Rebuilding since '93

Quote:

Forget it, as the poll results, 10% of the Habs fans on this forums still think he's holding this team back.

Meaning that if we had Patrick Roy / Guy Boucher we'd be shining and polishing our President's trophy going in the playoffs, and be in cup contention.

Also, Gally is the next Mario Lemieux, can't understand why you don't put a guy as good as he is on the top line at 19 YO, and Subban never makes mistakes and both Babcock and Therrien don't realise that if you remove the leash of this guy he'll be a top10 scorer in this league.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Who's criticizing him? The worst thing is the people who sit here and try to re-write history as if Therrien wasn't handicapping the team this year. Now all of a sudden he has this world class system and masterminded everything. Give me a break. No problem giving Therrien credit. But lets not insult the intelligence of people here by saying that he planned all of this.. Sure.

You realize you contradicted yourself with the first two sentences you wrote.

In the first sentence you ask who is criticizing Therrien as if no one - especially you - has done it. Then in the second sentence you state a criticism.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:21 AM
RIPFORUMRDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
Forget it, as the poll results, 10% of the Habs fans on this forums still think he's holding this team back.

Meaning that if we had Patrick Roy / Guy Boucher we'd be shining and polishing our President's trophy going in the playoffs, and be in cup contention.

Also, Gally is the next Mario Lemieux, can't understand why you don't put a guy as good as he is on the top line at 19 YO, and Subban never makes mistakes and both Babcock and Therrien don't realise that if you remove the leash of this guy he'll be a top10 scorer in this league.

Do you know what i find funny? When person like you and me are rational and type decent opinion on why we think hes decent, it get ignored by the people we are quoting. I m not including kriss e and lafleur guy in '' the people ''

Maybe they just ignore you if you dare to tell them how they look pretentious when they think they'd do a better job than MT. Idk, idc really but thats something i think im seeing.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:23 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
I'm wondering how can you come to the conclusion that he crippled the development of our young players. Are you a sport psychologist ? Are you working with athletes ? Or are you simply drawing conclusions from what we are seeing as fans, in 24CH or hockey games, like most of us do ?

If so, I'd really like to know how are Subban / Galchenyuk worst players today than they were last year ? The team is better and the proof is that they swept a series (albeit against a bad backup goalie), and had a surprising 100 points season (most pegged the Habs out of playoffs).

Anyways, what I find ridiculous is your stance that you're going to give him credit ONLY IF we get past the 2nd round, and you and I know that there is a high possibility that we end up playing Boston, the best team in the East. Dude in no way shape or form is this team competing with a team like Boston *on paper. They have more depth, as good a goaltender, and much more muscles. Again, on paper, it ain't even close. So the only way to convince you that he IS a good coach and did good coaching with youngsters is to win a series against the best team in the East la Cinderella story ?

IMO, he did what he had to do. Remember Martin benching Subban. How good it was for him in the long run. Habs don't need a Mike Green, a Erik Karlsson. Those guys put up great stats, yet they are detrimental to their team's performances more often than not. I'm glad he put Subban on rails with the rest of the team, to play his system. And Subban ain't no Bobby Orr, sorry to burst your bubble. He has the potential to be a great no1, a 2way responsible D that can log in 25+ mins.

And as far as Galchenyuk goes, I fear he was rushed to the NHL and also, he suffered injuries, it's hard to come back from an injury top shape, and he's in a learning process, in no way shape or form you put pressure on a young guy like that. MT knows that he had to put his eggs in the DD basket because that guy is a much more mature player that can handle the pressure. And evidence proves that i'm right and that you're wrong.

Also, I'd just like to add that in my hockey career I suffered a broken collarbone and a separated shoulder on the same friggin shoulder when I came back because muscles get atrophied when you rest with an injury, all in the same year. It's very hard to come back and perform as good as you were before. You, on the other hand would've liked MT to put Gally at center, put Eller on top line, and put DD on the wing or pressbox. Thank God you're not the Habs coach.
All it takes is 4 wins to completely forget about what went on in the regular season?

His handling of Subban has been terrible this year. When you have respected media people calling his handling of him "bizare" then clearly I'm not just talking out of my ass. Benching him, calling him out, playing Bouillion at times ahead of him, etc. You think that made PK a better player? You think PK's struggles were all because of him and had nothing to do with the coach shattering his confidence?

Similar to Lars? Got off to a good start then had his role changed and put at wing? That helped? Scratching him and making him play wing was to make him a better player? Another player who lost confidence.

Galchenyuk, not handled well. Lost confidence. Seeing a theme here?

Tinordi....stapled to the bench for every mistake. How was his confidence?

Beaulieu? Not good enough to play. Bouillion was clearly better. Where's his confidence at?

I'm a big picture person. Not a right now person. I don't care about current success if it is not sustainable and if the long term plan doesn't come together. You may think like a fan where I think more like a GM/coach. How will certain moves affect the team 3 years down the road.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:25 AM
GeorgeLebay

Quote:
Bylsma is an idiot and I can't wait for the day he gets fired

What a joke

So sad that I'm starting to miss Michel Therrien ....
Just read this on the general forum from a Pens fan.

GeorgeLebay is offline   Reply With Quote