Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

ECHL Franchise changes in 2014 offseason

Old
04-23-2014, 10:48 AM
JDogindy

vCash: 500
ECHL Franchise changes in 2014 offseason

Yeah, the Indy Fuel are joining the league next season, but I believe there might be some changes this off-season.

For starters, I can legitimately see Peoria rejoining the ECHL since the SPHL, while being less of a financial issue than the ECHL, isn't giving that market what they want due to the lack of regional opponents (and since Bloomington went to the USHL, there's no point to stick around).

There's also some discussions about resurrecting the assets of the San Francisco Bulls in Fresno, but this is unlikely, since Fresno's mayoral office is known for its frugality, and after the Fresno Falcons fiasco, some serious agreements have to be put in place.

And... then there's the supposed return of Columbia and the expected expansion in Reno. Neither of which will happen.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Will Wheeling call it quits after struggling for so many years? Probably not but how are they still afloat? Would make sense for Peoria. Will be interesting to see if any Central teams join the ECHL as well.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:03 PM
SenorChifles

This year we might not see anymore changes, but next year for the 15-16 season we should see the demise of the west coast teams. The only one you don't know what will happen to is Alaska, their closest rival could be Idaho or Colorado (if they don't get a team in the AHL).
Will be interesting to see how it works out between all cities and teams involved. Might see some NHL teams purchase an AHL franchise to move them to their city of choice.

SenorChifles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:16 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB51Hockey View Post
Will Wheeling call it quits after struggling for so many years? Probably not but how are they still afloat? Would make sense for Peoria. Will be interesting to see if any Central teams join the ECHL as well.
If Elmira doesn't go Wheeling wont.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:06 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

While Alaska's attendance is up there, it is nowhere near it was at the peak a few years ago. I can't image many more 4,500 averages can put the franchise in the green at the end of the year. If the ECHL west goes away in 2015 (which I think it will), my only guess is that the Aces are relocated to the east somewhere or even folded and land a NAHL expansion as it would make sense with two teams close by (Kenai River and Fairbanks).

Old
04-23-2014, 09:23 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
While Alaska's attendance is up there, it is nowhere near it was at the peak a few years ago. I can't image many more 4,500 averages can put the franchise in the green at the end of the year. If the ECHL west goes away in 2015 (which I think it will), my only guess is that the Aces are relocated to the east somewhere or even folded and land a NAHL expansion as it would make sense with two teams close by (Kenai River and Fairbanks).
Aces are privately owned, JB, THEY, along w/ Bakersfield are one of the stronger franchises in the E.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 07:39 AM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Aces are privately owned, JB, THEY, along w/ Bakersfield are one of the stronger franchises in the E.
Ok so Bakersfield was just bought by Edmonton and will be in the AHL within two years. So if the ECHL West goes away, who will Alaska have to play?

Old
04-24-2014, 05:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Ok so Bakersfield was just bought by Edmonton and will be in the AHL within two years. So if the ECHL West goes away, who will Alaska have to play?
THE Condors will not be in our league in 2 years, JB, WHERE are you getting that info from, Bakersfield is owned by Edmonton, but so is OKC.

this supposed rumor is credited to Brian Burke, and w/ Abbotsford out of the A, FLIES in the face of Western Expansion so it may happen, but not in the timeframe presented...

ever hear of the adage "Don't Believe everything you hear/read/see" because it's an opinion or speculative, because 2016 is when Manchester and Worcester's deals completely expire, but those deals are under discussion to be extended past said timeframe, and if neither those two franchises, which are operated by the NHL Clubs, those arena deals, just as Arizona's deal w/ Portland is under discussions to be extended past said timeframe.

nothing has ever come of that article or serious discussions, but Anaheim is the only one of the three CA Franchises that has never operated its affiliate, going back to 05/06. I wouldn't be holding a premature end to the ECHL West as is is presently constituted, but it may never occur.

Old
04-24-2014, 07:14 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

So why did they buy the Condors?

Old
04-24-2014, 08:57 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
So why did they buy the Condors?
why buy a business, the affiliation was there, JB, It made sense to buy the franchise to foster the same style of play, same philosophy at all 3 levels, not to mention the Oil Kings who play out of the same arena as the Oilers.

Old
04-24-2014, 09:14 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
why buy a business, the affiliation was there, JB, It made sense to buy the franchise to foster the same style of play, same philosophy at all 3 levels, not to mention the Oil Kings who play out of the same arena as the Oilers.
I think you don't want to believe that Bakersfield will soon have an AHL team. How many prospects have the Condors sent to the Oilers or other NHL teams? I can tell you the answer is not many.

Old
04-24-2014, 09:29 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
I think you don't want to believe that Bakersfield will soon have an AHL team. How many prospects have the Condors sent to the Oilers or other NHL teams? I can tell you the answer is not many.
because the Condors aren't interested in going up a league, JB, Anaheim went there and wasn't asked back, and most of those are going to OKC under the commonality thread, JB, you're limited by ECHL Rules to three prospects assigned to the affiliated team.

Old
04-24-2014, 11:04 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Yeah why did they buy them? Seems like an odd move.

Old
04-25-2014, 04:56 AM
6768clintoncomets575

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTC Addict View Post
Yeah why did they buy them? Seems like an odd move.
1) Everything Edmonton does is odd.

2) Continuity as Church stated.

Bakersfield has no interest in going up a league. The AHL has no interest in Bakersfield whatsoever.

6768clintoncomets575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:43 AM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6768clintoncomets575 View Post
1) Everything Edmonton does is odd.

2) Continuity as Church stated.

Bakersfield has no interest in going up a league. The AHL has no interest in Bakersfield whatsoever.
Who exactly is Bakersfield? Wouldn't the ownership make that call? In this case Edmonton?

Old
04-25-2014, 07:32 AM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
you're limited by ECHL Rules to three prospects assigned to the affiliated team.
Source? There's never been a limit on the number of players assigned from an AHL/NHL affiliate.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:05 AM
jabberoski

Quote:
because the Condors aren't interested in going up a league, JB, Anaheim went there and wasn't asked back, and most of those are going to OKC under the commonality thread, JB, you're limited by ECHL Rules to three prospects assigned to the affiliated team.
Not sure where you are getting your information, but there is no limit to the number of AHL or NHL contracts assigned to an ECHL team.

jabberoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:24 AM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberoski View Post
Not sure where you are getting your information, but there is no limit to the number of AHL or NHL contracts assigned to an ECHL team.
Yes, I also have a hard time believing this. What would be the point of limiting the number to three? It's not encouraging development.

Old
04-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Off da post and in

Quote:
Who exactly is Bakersfield? Wouldn't the ownership make that call? In this case Edmonton?
No, the AHL members make the call on which franchises are accepted into the AHL. If the AHL nixes Bakersfield, for whatever reason, case closed. Edmonton has other options like starting a new AAA league, using the Buffalo Sabres' model, resell Bakersfield, etc,....

However, Edmonton can't force Bakersfield on the AHL.

Off da post and in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:21 AM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off da post and in View Post
No, the AHL members make the call on which franchises are accepted into the AHL. If the AHL nixes Bakersfield, for whatever reason, case closed. Edmonton has other options like starting a new AAA league, using the Buffalo Sabres' model, resell Bakersfield, etc,....

However, Edmonton can't force Bakersfield on the AHL.
Well yeah I know the Oilers can't just say a team is an AHL team but if the Oilers, the owners, were to pursue an AHL team in Bakersfield, could Condors staff stop it?

Old
04-25-2014, 11:15 AM
JDogindy

Honestly, I don't see the AHL expansion into the West Coast happening unless they all buy their AHL affiliates and move them there. In Edmonton's case, they already own the Barons, and upgrading Bakersfield won't make any sense.

There is that possibility, but I don't see it happening. Also, I was wanting to discuss anything that'll happen this offseason.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:29 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
Honestly, I don't see the AHL expansion into the West Coast happening unless they all buy their AHL affiliates and move them there. In Edmonton's case, they already own the Barons, and upgrading Bakersfield won't make any sense.

There is that possibility, but I don't see it happening. Also, I was wanting to discuss anything that'll happen this offseason.
Haha okay. This offseason? Add Indianapolis, Peoria Lose NOBODY

That's my guess.

Old
04-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Off da post and in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
I was wanting to discuss anything that'll happen this offseason.
I don't see any changes, drops or add ons, in the ECHL other than those already made public, like Indianapolis. There is the chance of an affiliate change or two, but that's about it.

The CHL will likely not have any changes now that the big investor pulled out of the Casper WY deal, and nothing has been updated regarding the Louisville franchise.

This may be a boring offseason for those looking for change or restructuring.

Off da post and in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 01:18 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

You sure Wheeling stays?

Old
04-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Wheeling will stay. I dare say they benefit a lot from having Pittsburgh and Montreal with them. They're having a good season as well.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote