HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien

View Poll Results: Rate Michel Therrien
Good 157 49.37%
Average 119 37.42%
Bad 42 13.21%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2014, 08:26 AM
  #226
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You realize you contradicted yourself with the first two sentences you wrote.

In the first sentence you ask who is criticizing Therrien as if no one - especially you - has done it. Then in the second sentence you state a criticism.
I'm talking about in the playoffs. His playoff performance has not been criticized. His regular season performance has and rightfully so.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:26 AM
  #227
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
All it takes is 4 wins to completely forget about what went on in the regular season?
4 straight, unanswered wins and a 100 point season. But i guess that's not enough for you. You wanna know,"What have you done for me lately, Mikey?"

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:27 AM
  #228
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPFORUMRDS View Post
Do you know what i find funny? When person like you and me are rational and type decent opinion on why we think hes decent, it get ignored by the people we are quoting. I m not including kriss e and lafleur guy in '' the people ''

Maybe they just ignore you if you dare to tell them how they look pretentious when they think they'd do a better job than MT. Idk, idc really but thats something i think im seeing.
I can usually garner some answers to my posts from hockeyfan2k11, but he's simply camping his position, wich I have nothing against. I'd just like him to backup his statements with facts, but that's impossible because he's all hypothesis while we're dealing with FACTS.

He thinks that this team's young players are so good that Subban should be on Kalrsson's level of production (and not hockey performances for his team, obviously) and that Galchenyuk / Eller deserved bigger roles, that playing Bouillon is dumber than putting Tinordi / Beaulieu in the Wolves den, etc. Simply undefendable opinions with FACTS. Most of his **** is theorycrafting and wishful thinking.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:35 AM
  #229
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

His handling of Subban has been terrible this year. When you have respected media people calling his handling of him "bizare" then clearly I'm not just talking out of my ass. Benching him, calling him out, playing Bouillion at times ahead of him, etc. You think that made PK a better player? You think PK's struggles were all because of him and had nothing to do with the coach shattering his confidence?

Similar to Lars? Got off to a good start then had his role changed and put at wing? That helped? Scratching him and making him play wing was to make him a better player? Another player who lost confidence.

Galchenyuk, not handled well. Lost confidence. Seeing a theme here?

Tinordi....stapled to the bench for every mistake. How was his confidence?

Beaulieu? Not good enough to play. Bouillion was clearly better. Where's his confidence at?

I'm a big picture person. Not a right now person. I don't care about current success if it is not sustainable and if the long term plan doesn't come together. You may think like a fan where I think more like a GM/coach. How will certain moves affect the team 3 years down the road.
Subban was ruined? So how do you explain the playoffs?

Lars is known to have confidence issues - see his visit with the team psychologist last year. But he has played well during the playoffs.

Chuckie - lost confidence. How do you know this?

Tinordi is 21 and a d-man. Therrien and the rest of the coaching and management team are slowly breaking him in. Giving him (and Beaulieu) a bigger and bigger taste of the big leagues.

You realize Nathan refers to himself as Nate the Great. Has it on his stick (according to Darche). Yeah, I see what you mean his confidence is shot to hell.

As for being a big picture guy, you do realize to see all of the big picture you have to stand back. It seems to me you're obsessing over minute things.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:37 AM
  #230
RIPFORUMRDS
Registered User
 
RIPFORUMRDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: none of your busines
Posts: 344
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
I can usually garner some answers to my posts from hockeyfan2k11, but he's simply camping his position, wich I have nothing against. I'd just like him to backup his statements with facts, but that's impossible because he's all hypothesis while we're dealing with FACTS.

He thinks that this team's young players are so good that Subban should be on Kalrsson's level of production (and not hockey performances for his team, obviously) and that Galchenyuk / Eller deserved bigger roles, that playing Bouillon is dumber than putting Tinordi / Beaulieu in the Wolves den, etc. Simply undefendable opinions with FACTS. Most of his **** is theorycrafting and wishful thinking.
Well, its a fact that eller/subban/galchenyuk had worst number. Where i disagree with him is when he says that worst number= they regressed. For me, i think its simply that the style from this year lead to less point on the sheet.

Also, eller clearly struggled hard this year, that is a fact. Was it because of how he was utilized? That we dont know. Maybe his GF cheated on him or w/e reason. Maybe its because of how Michel handled him, its a possibilty but not a fact.

RIPFORUMRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:51 AM
  #231
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
All it takes is 4 wins to completely forget about what went on in the regular season?

His handling of Subban has been terrible this year. When you have respected media people calling his handling of him "bizare" then clearly I'm not just talking out of my ass. Benching him, calling him out, playing Bouillion at times ahead of him, etc. You think that made PK a better player? You think PK's struggles were all because of him and had nothing to do with the coach shattering his confidence?

Similar to Lars? Got off to a good start then had his role changed and put at wing? That helped? Scratching him and making him play wing was to make him a better player? Another player who lost confidence.

Galchenyuk, not handled well. Lost confidence. Seeing a theme here?

Tinordi....stapled to the bench for every mistake. How was his confidence?

Beaulieu? Not good enough to play. Bouillion was clearly better. Where's his confidence at?

I'm a big picture person. Not a right now person. I don't care about current success if it is not sustainable and if the long term plan doesn't come together. You may think like a fan where I think more like a GM/coach. How will certain moves affect the team 3 years down the road.
1) I never critiscized MT and agreed with many of his decision throughout the season. The last 4 wins just proved me I was right having confidence in this coaching staff, I pegged the Habs battling for 8th and they played above my expectations.

2) I thought Subban made more mistakes this year and unecessary risks at times, and the coach rigthfully put him accountable. That's how hockey coaches deal with cocky personas. You don't give them all the liberties, it's detrimental to the team's spirit. You put them on the same level as anyone else. You created a turnover trying an unecessary deke ? You warm the bench. Good for him and the team. If Subban is a man and not a teen he understands it and tries to improve, wich he did.

3) Eller started hot but hit a cold streak as well. Same as DD with his clod streak. Before DD woke up from his coma, Eller had also a stretch of average / bad games. Eller is still inconsistent and raw, still in a learning process. And as you can see in the last 4 games, he fits right in where he is in the lineup. MT managed his cold streak by giving him less responsibilities, for the sake of the team. Confidence ? That's not MT's job, there are a plethora of professionals hired to deal with the mental side of the game. MT's hired to win games. He puts the right soldiers on the right missions. Didn't miss many marks.

4) Galchenyuk is raw and got injured. That can affect stats and performances overall, and you don't put pressure on a guy like that, and MT did so. Team first, individual stats second.

5) Tinordi handles the puck like a grenade when under pressure. Sure I like the kid but again, he's raw and in a learning process. Look at Cowen, how bad he looked this year in a bigger role. Tinordi is on Cowen's level, sorry to burst your bubble. He put him on the bench rigthfully. MT wanted to win games and had depth to play with. Bouillon often makes the little things coaches like, he's fast, tough, safe in his own end. On the other hand, my only gripe with MT regarding Tinordi is the use of Murray wich is 10x worse than Tinordi. Next year will be Tinordi's year.

6) Beaulieu has the same problem Tinordi's got, but WITHOUT the puck. I was watching him trying to follwo his man around but he's constantly magnetized by the puck carrier. While Franky B isn't perfect, he's better than Beaulieu in the depth chart, right now. Beaulieu can learn with practice though, he seesm to have a good hockey sense, offensively, but needs to work on his defensive coverage. When Beaulieu has the puck though, you can see he'll be a top4 D in this league, in 2-3 years, strong first pass, strong skating. He makes me think of Gardiner, but look, Gardiner has been one of the Leafs' best D this year but made some HUGE mistakes in the last stretch, was very average defensively. He needs to learn on tapes about positionning. That is basically the difference between the Leafs and Habs, good coaching vs bad coaching.

7) I get it you'd wanted MT to play and developp youngsters at the expense of making the playoffs. But y'know, MT is paid millions of $$ to WIN and make the owner some more $$ with playoffs games and earn MB some credentials for putting up a strong team with depth at all positions. Nope, if you were an NHL coach, thinking like you do would put you at Dallas Eakin's level, 'developping' that young core like a true pro. Fortunately for the Habs and us fans, our young players have the luxury to learn from a good veteran core from the Gainey / Gauthier eras. And that's why we've made it in the 2nd round and other young teams don't make the playoffs. History has shown that good TEAMS win Stanley Cups, and not only talent / goal scoring. Otherwise the Penguins would be a dynasty. I think like a coach as much as you do, and I have experienced as a player beforehand as well. The best coaches I've had were sandpaper-like, the one you hated because he put you accountable for your bad plays, but made me learn a lot more and we won tournaments etc. And just for your info, I didn't play with scrubs in my youth hockey, just naming some ex-teammate Jason Pominville. He'd probably tell you the same I'm telling you. I didn't make it like 99% of the kids, but Jason and I had the same sandpaper coaches for years in Repentigny / Performe plus hockey school / AAA summer tournies, and look at where he is. He learnt hockey by warming the bench, getting yelled at and understanding how to get better, didn't receive many pats on his back. coach =/ daddy. Daddy is there to do this job. Gotta man up. I guess it completely ruined his confidence (not). And y'know, we were kids and the treatment was brutal for the soft minds, but hockey players NEED to have thick skin. If Subban / Eller has trouble accepting the coach's decisions, it's their problem, gotta man up and learn from their mistakes, gotta play better and listen to the coaching staff. Coaches aren't there to be their best friends, they're there to WIN games.


Last edited by PKtrollban: 04-25-2014 at 09:18 AM.
PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:02 AM
  #232
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Therrien is smarter than he looks. I just hope the way he looks (behind the bench and in press conferences) doesn't get the team in trouble again...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
  #233
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I don't know what's inside your head, what your motivation might be. My guess - based on your persistent argument - is that you overly rely on advanced stats in your analysis of Therrien. Better stats in 2013 - props to Therrien, although it was only a 48 game season that started to go south at about the 35th game and an early exit in the playoffs.

This year, poor possession stats, etc. but a 100 point season over 82 games, played their best hockey the last 10 games of the season, swept TB in the first round, but no props to Therrien, just a backhanded compliment.

Advanced stats are here to stay in hockey no doubt, but they are not as relevant as in baseball for example. There are certain very important factors in hockey that cannot be quantified in a stat - such as intimidation, selflessness, etc. Therrien has done a very good job building a team first mentality - that also has to be part of the evaluation.
And when you bring up the record aren't you also simply relying on stats in your analysis of Therrien? We had 100pts therefore Therrien is good. It's even more shallow then what you accuse Kriss E of doing.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:34 AM
  #234
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
1- Therrien publicly blamed PK for losses. This despite preaching team spirit, team first, team team team. You win as a team, you lose as a team. And yet, he had no issues blaming PK for losses, and on more than one occasion. If you don't remember that, then you really have no business arguing over what Therrien did. Dig up the archives, you can find all the post game interviews. It's all there for you to see.

2- Plekanec is the top center, always has and will keep being it. So already, you're wrong. As for DD being our best offensive center, again, Plekanec when given a similar role to DD has produced more than DD ever did. So again, you're wrong. Finally, we also have Eller that whether you believe or not, needs his share of offensive opportunities if you want him to develop those skills. Developing younger players is part of the coach's job. I don't think he did that good of a job with Gallagher-Galchenyuk and Eller. They either stalled in their development or regressed.
It's not just about offensive zone faceoffs. They don't need to completely stop giving DD's line the offensive opportunities. Seriously why does it always have to be extremes?? Why can't we just keep putting Eller on the PP? Why does DD's line has to remain intact and be the 1st on on the PP? Especially when it's not working anyways.
And on our team like ours, where there wasn't any premiere talent up front, having a few lines producing is key. But no, we relied on one line, and the rest of the time, Price had to play stellar.

3- It's not a big deal. It's just another thing I didn't like. Galchenyuk is set to become our next big center. So why not try it out during exhibition games? Why not try a bunch of different combinations that way you're prepared and already have an idea of what you could do if your players are cold. It's not a huge deal but still something I didn't like. Maybe you don't care to be a little more prepared, or see what our future star can do as a center, but I do.

4- I didn't complain that he didn't try to fix it, I said he failed to fix it. Big difference. I don't care who is in given the task to make the PP work, he is the boss, responsibilities fall on him, he oversees all coaching decisions. They've been working on it, I'm sure, no doubt. Hopefully they can rekindle some magic in the POs. But in the regular season it has plummeted and couldn't be fixed.

5- First off I give credit to Therrien for these POs (and last season), so once again, you are just flat out wrong. Second, I don't know what are the reasons but we did change our style. Maybe it's because Therrien recognized TB's weaknesses and opted to exploit them. Maybe it's because, as others have mentioned, it's because he feels playing a more upbeat style would have fatigued us. Overlords brought it up before too, even Cooper, the coach of TB, said he didn't feel like we played the same way in the POs as we did in the season. Even he said so. So I know I'm not crazy.
Yes, he did some good things. He also did some bad things, and that's what we're discussing. Trying to argue that the actual system was good is foolish when all the stats are there to back up the opposite. The stats are there for you, look them up. That is if the eye test wasn't conclusive enough already..

6- Nitpicking? You're the one that's bringing up a couple of names. I said the vast majority had worst seasons, some close to career lows. Our kids didn't improve. So how am I nitpicking?? And then you say DD had an amazing 2/3rd??? Who's freaking nitpicking again??
Dude, the majority of our guys did not improve, there is no wrong in admitting that.

7- I'm sure he wants PK to be the best Dman in the NHL. No doubt. But that has nothing to do with my point.

8- I have no issues with hard work. Our team has been hard working since Therrien has come in, no doubt, and props to him for that. Every team that has success will need to work hard. Doesn't mean you need to tell your Dmen to throw the puck off the board/glass at every opportunity. Doesn't mean you need to tell your forwards to cheat and stay far from your Dman so we can cause confusion in the zone and hesitation with the puck leading to a very poor transitional game. Doesn't mean you have to dump the puck and chase it the majority of the time. Doesn't mean you need to have a passive one man forecheck. Which is what his ''detractors'' brought up.



I'm not sure how I'm nitpicking anything. I gave credit to Therrien for last season. Really loved how we played. Sure, little things here and there I didn't like too much, but overall he did a great job.
I love the way we played in the POs thus far. Sure, TB was battered, but sweeping them exceeds my expectations. You can even ask Whitesnake, I told him there was absolutely no way we lose this series, that our depth was going to be key, but I also told him that if we sweep I'd be surprised. So major kudos to Therrien for that.

Now tell me, why would somebody that just wants to nitpick on Therrien have no problem giving him props on last season and these POs??? Why would I criticize him for this regular season for no reason, but praise him for last year and now??? How does this make any sense???
1- lmao. I know Therrien has said that Subban shouldn't have taken penalties and those may have led to losses, but I'd like to see even a shred of proof from you proving that Therrien specifically blamed Subban for a loss on multiple occasions. You're being so dramatic.

2- Wh... What? Desharnais has been our top line center for almost the entire season... He's the one playing with Pacioretty and Vanek. I'm at a loss for words as to how you can even attempt to argue otherwise. Plekanec may be more valuable overall, but it doesn't change the fact that Desharnais plays on the top line, which produces the most points for the Habs. Desharnais has better production than Plekanec over the past three seasons, and he has better chemistry with our top scorer. I'm honestly shocked at your logic here. Therrien gave the kid line lots of ice opportunities, but the truth of the matter is that it was solely Eller's fault for his "regression" (lol) because he played poorly after his strong beginning. The fact that you suggest playing Eller on our powerplay is laughable. Therrien is setting an example that you need to work for your opportunities; he's not just going to throw it at Eller and hope it sticks. He gave him powerplay opportunities, but Eller never demonstrated that he deserved consistent time on the powerplay. It's almost like you didn't watch hockey this season.

3- Your complaint doesn't make sense though, because Therrien gave Galchenyuk a couple of opportunities at center anyways, during the season. He's still super young, and to give him opportunities at center would be at the expense of Eller, who we are also attempting to develop and is further along his development curve.

4- Yes, in the regular season it plummeted, but that was not the responsibility of Therrien. Again, place blame on those were are responsible. Therrien knows it's important and has been making efforts to fix it. I see no reason why you are blaming him for this.

5- Funny, the only stats that matter (the standings) tell me something else than what you're trying to say. They were one of the best teams in the league at the latter bit of the season. And the Habs are still playing a similar style to what we played during the season, we just modified it in order to combat Tampa's speed and emphasize transitional play.

6-....You're seriously trying to tell me I'm the one nitpicking when you're the one that listed 8 silly reasons why you don't like Therrien, a couple of which aren't even his fault. None of our players really regressed, most stayed on par with what they are used to, and a handful of our players had fantastic seasons and did indeed improve. What the hell are you trying to say here? You want our entire team to improve in one season? This is the silliest point you made. A bunch of our players got better, including Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, Markov, Desharnais, and others compared to last season, but none got worse. What else could you possibly want? This is such an unfounded complaint, and it makes no sense.

8- What you're trying to say here makes no sense. His changing of the system was essentially a process in order to instil a more work-oriented team as opposed to just pure speed and skill. He wanted to emphasize hard work when he adopted a grinding style, and it worked well at the end of the season. He modified the system to completely sweep the Lightning in the playoffs. I have no clue what issue you have with the system at this point.

I can't comprehend how you don't believe you're nitpicking when you wrote 8 reasons why you criticized Therrien. I'm glad you like how we played in the playoffs, because I think it was a great series with fantastic coaching and teamwork from the Habs. They executed every game plan to a tee. It was fun to watch.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:48 AM
  #235
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
1- lmao. I know Therrien has said that Subban shouldn't have taken penalties and those may have led to losses, but I'd like to see even a shred of proof from you proving that Therrien specifically blamed Subban for a loss on multiple occasions. You're being so dramatic.

2- Wh... What? Desharnais has been our top line center for almost the entire season... He's the one playing with Pacioretty and Vanek. I'm at a loss for words as to how you can even attempt to argue otherwise. Plekanec may be more valuable overall, but it doesn't change the fact that Desharnais plays on the top line, which produces the most points for the Habs. Desharnais has better production than Plekanec over the past three seasons, and he has better chemistry with our top scorer. I'm honestly shocked at your logic here. Therrien gave the kid line lots of ice opportunities, but the truth of the matter is that it was solely Eller's fault for his "regression" (lol) because he played poorly after his strong beginning. The fact that you suggest playing Eller on our powerplay is laughable. Therrien is setting an example that you need to work for your opportunities; he's not just going to throw it at Eller and hope it sticks. He gave him powerplay opportunities, but Eller never demonstrated that he deserved consistent time on the powerplay. It's almost like you didn't watch hockey this season.

3- Your complaint doesn't make sense though, because Therrien gave Galchenyuk a couple of opportunities at center anyways, during the season. He's still super young, and to give him opportunities at center would be at the expense of Eller, who we are also attempting to develop and is further along his development curve.

4- Yes, in the regular season it plummeted, but that was not the responsibility of Therrien. Again, place blame on those were are responsible. Therrien knows it's important and has been making efforts to fix it. I see no reason why you are blaming him for this.

5- Funny, the only stats that matter (the standings) tell me something else than what you're trying to say. They were one of the best teams in the league at the latter bit of the season. And the Habs are still playing a similar style to what we played during the season, we just modified it in order to combat Tampa's speed and emphasize transitional play.

6-....You're seriously trying to tell me I'm the one nitpicking when you're the one that listed 8 silly reasons why you don't like Therrien, a couple of which aren't even his fault. None of our players really regressed, most stayed on par with what they are used to, and a handful of our players had fantastic seasons and did indeed improve. What the hell are you trying to say here? You want our entire team to improve in one season? This is the silliest point you made. A bunch of our players got better, including Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, Markov, Desharnais, and others compared to last season, but none got worse. What else could you possibly want? This is such an unfounded complaint, and it makes no sense.

8- What you're trying to say here makes no sense. His changing of the system was essentially a process in order to instil a more work-oriented team as opposed to just pure speed and skill. He wanted to emphasize hard work when he adopted a grinding style, and it worked well at the end of the season. He modified the system to completely sweep the Lightning in the playoffs. I have no clue what issue you have with the system at this point.

I can't comprehend how you don't believe you're nitpicking when you wrote 8 reasons why you criticized Therrien. I'm glad you like how we played in the playoffs, because I think it was a great series with fantastic coaching and teamwork from the Habs. They executed every game plan to a tee. It was fun to watch.
Some people on here have funny ideas...where young players need to be treated like a nuclear warhead where one false move instantly ruins their career.

Every coach in the NHL at some point has sat(either benched for at least one 10-15 minute stretch to a full healthy scratch) guys that are current top players, yet when it happens to Subban we hear about the irreparable damage it will do to his confidence, his game and he will instantly not want to re-sign with the Habs once his contract is up.

Heaven forbid Galchenyuk has to play wing instead of center, I don't think there is an NHL center that has not, at some point in their career played wing for a period of time, even guys like Crosby, Malkin and Toews. You'd think it was comparable to a football WR playing offensive line to hear some of the posts on here. Everything is drama on steroids. Once Galchenyuk masters the offensive part of NHL life, it will be a lot easier for him to adjust to the extra responsibility(mostly faceoffs and defensive coverage) and nuances of playing center. Even, god forbid, he was to stay LW his whole career, has it ruined St.Louis, Perry, Ovechkin, Kane, Kessel, Pacioretty? A lot of teams have their most skilled forwards on wing, Boston is a prime example.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:03 AM
  #236
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,754
vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
WS, how do you know there's a lot of Therrien detractors who hate him because he was hired simply as a francophone? You're a detractor and i didn't hear it from you. Lafleurs Guy is a detractor and I haven't heard from him. Kriss is a detractor and he hasn't mentioned anything about that.

I can remember one or two who came out and stated that the only reason Therrien was hired was because he was a francophone. One or two is closer to a couple than to a lot.

A lot is actually more than many

definition of a lot from dictionary.com

Very many, a large number; also, very much.
While the difference might not be so obvious, my point wasn't about people hating Therrien because he's a francophone. My point was about hating this hiring 'cause of our "limited" pool. And that, there's A LOT or MANY people, including yourself, who are against that. And can't wait till ANY francophone will fall on their face so that we finally, based on their opinion, stop limiting our pool and get the supposed "Best candidate avaiable". So it's not Therrien, Boucher or whoever that they have it against. It's the "franco" concept......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:27 AM
  #237
Big Lurk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
Dude, you really think that the Habs wouldn't win this series even with Bishop in net ? Would the Habs've won the series against the Sens last year if Eller / Price don't get injured ?

Injuries happen and the results can be affected by them but with that many IFs we end up colonizing Mars as the Earth collides with Planet X. In other words, completely delusional you are.
No. I'm just saying you guys are praising him for nothing. He was atrocious during the regular season, he still is. We won that easily because Lindback didnt stop those shots with no screens, 5 hole, and couldnt make a key save. the goals that Eller and Gallagher scored in game 4, if Price lets those in, he gets booed on home ice. Bourque decided to play too, and those points have nothing to do with X-Y-Z's.

I dont know, and im not speculating on whether we wouldve won or not. But having a goalie that couldnt even stop a beach ball on the other side, instead of a Vezina nominee, sure makes everyone look better.

I don't know how you guys can praise this man, as he said himself he didnt have to make any big adjustments. And isnt it the biggest flaw in his coaching? Adjustments? So how can you rate/say he elevated his coaching when he wasnt put under pressure at all?

Big Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:28 AM
  #238
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Some people on here have funny ideas...where young players need to be treated like a nuclear warhead where one false move instantly ruins their career.

Every coach in the NHL at some point has sat(either benched for at least one 10-15 minute stretch to a full healthy scratch) guys that are current top players, yet when it happens to Subban we hear about the irreparable damage it will do to his confidence, his game and he will instantly not want to re-sign with the Habs once his contract is up.

Heaven forbid Galchenyuk has to play wing instead of center, I don't think there is an NHL center that has not, at some point in their career played wing for a period of time, even guys like Crosby, Malkin and Toews. You'd think it was comparable to a football WR playing offensive line to hear some of the posts on here. Everything is drama on steroids. Once Galchenyuk masters the offensive part of NHL life, it will be a lot easier for him to adjust to the extra responsibility(mostly faceoffs and defensive coverage) and nuances of playing center. Even, god forbid, he was to stay LW his whole career, has it ruined St.Louis, Perry, Ovechkin, Kane, Kessel, Pacioretty? A lot of teams have their most skilled forwards on wing, Boston is a prime example.
That's exactly it. Every young player is different. Some succeed when you give them as many duties as possible early on, others take longer to develop. Galchenyuk just turned 20, and he missed a crucial season in his development. I think taking it slow with him makes sense.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:26 PM
  #239
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Subban was ruined? So how do you explain the playoffs?

Lars is known to have confidence issues - see his visit with the team psychologist last year. But he has played well during the playoffs.

Chuckie - lost confidence. How do you know this?

Tinordi is 21 and a d-man. Therrien and the rest of the coaching and management team are slowly breaking him in. Giving him (and Beaulieu) a bigger and bigger taste of the big leagues.

You realize Nathan refers to himself as Nate the Great. Has it on his stick (according to Darche). Yeah, I see what you mean his confidence is shot to hell.

As for being a big picture guy, you do realize to see all of the big picture you have to stand back. It seems to me you're obsessing over minute things.

The regular season means NOTHING. But the 4 games in the playoffs mean everything! No need to go on with this discussion.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:28 PM
  #240
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
4 straight, unanswered wins and a 100 point season. But i guess that's not enough for you. You wanna know,"What have you done for me lately, Mikey?"
Why watch games when all you have to do is look at the standings? Extend Bylsma now!

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:36 PM
  #241
Richiebottles
S L O W | M A G I C
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 11,484
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why watch games when all you have to do is look at the standings? Extend Bylsma now!
Do you know what keeps a coach employed ? Wins.

So by your logic every team that did not make the playoffs should fire their coach and every team that has had a difficult time in the post season should do the same.

You only fire a coach when they have an abysmal year and things really aren't working out.

Bylsma will most likely not get canned unless he has a poor showing next year.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:39 PM
  #242
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lurk View Post
No. I'm just saying you guys are praising him for nothing. He was atrocious during the regular season, he still is. We won that easily because Lindback didnt stop those shots with no screens, 5 hole, and couldnt make a key save. the goals that Eller and Gallagher scored in game 4, if Price lets those in, he gets booed on home ice. Bourque decided to play too, and those points have nothing to do with X-Y-Z's.

I dont know, and im not speculating on whether we wouldve won or not. But having a goalie that couldnt even stop a beach ball on the other side, instead of a Vezina nominee, sure makes everyone look better.

I don't know how you guys can praise this man, as he said himself he didnt have to make any big adjustments. And isnt it the biggest flaw in his coaching? Adjustments? So how can you rate/say he elevated his coaching when he wasnt put under pressure at all?
1st - Price isn't a Vezina nominee

2nd - I never said Therrien elevated his coaching, he's coaching now the same way he did during the season. Only now, the players are giving more effort, and it shows.

I'd like to know WHY you think he was ATROCIOUS during the regular season. His treatment for Subban ? Putting Bouillon / Murray instead of Tinordi / beaulieu ? Putting Gally on the wing ? Eller on third line ? All of those decisions I agreed with. With hindsight he was right. No ones development has been compromised, unless one has trouble between the ears.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:41 PM
  #243
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why watch games when all you have to do is look at the standings? Extend Bylsma now!
Why don't you bother replying to my post above instead of being unconstructive at best ?

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:55 PM
  #244
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,951
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
The regular season means NOTHING. But the 4 games in the playoffs mean everything! No need to go on with this discussion.
What a horrible regular season. How will the franchise recover from this 100 point season we've been forced to endure.

lawl

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:07 PM
  #245
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
While the difference might not be so obvious, my point wasn't about people hating Therrien because he's a francophone. My point was about hating this hiring 'cause of our "limited" pool. And that, there's A LOT or MANY people, including yourself, who are against that. And can't wait till ANY francophone will fall on their face so that we finally, based on their opinion, stop limiting our pool and get the supposed "Best candidate avaiable". So it's not Therrien, Boucher or whoever that they have it against. It's the "franco" concept......
I hate the special qualifications that limit the candidate pool, but once the habs have a coach in place, I always support him. It's not his fault, and I always wish that candidate well, because the team winning games should be the in the best interest of every fan, although I do doubt that sometimes when I read this forum

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:13 PM
  #246
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why watch games when all you have to do is look at the standings? Extend Bylsma now!
The standings are the best way to evaluate your team compared to the rest of league. We got 100 points this season, and finished fourth in the conference.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:30 PM
  #247
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
The standings are the best way to evaluate your team compared to the rest of league. We got 100 points this season, and finished fourth in the conference.
What about evaluating the coach? Is that the only way coaches can be evaluated? Wins? Regular season wins? If that's all it takes then I'm sure Bylsma would have a lifetime contract in the eyes of many people here.

All it took was 4 playoff wins for some to not question all of the crap MT did during the regular season. Hilarious.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:35 PM
  #248
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
What about evaluating the coach? Is that the only way coaches can be evaluated? Wins? Regular season wins? If that's all it takes then I'm sure Bylsma would have a lifetime contract in the eyes of many people here.

All it took was 4 playoff wins for some to not question all of the crap MT did during the regular season. Hilarious.
Everyone knows the mistakes and issues we had with Therrien during the season. It's all that was ever talked about. But when he blatantly outcoaches Cooper in the playoffs, he deserves recognition for it. The way he has coached for the past couple of weeks has been impressive.

The fact that you want to revisit all the complaints of Therrien we talked about at length during the regular season just goes to show how often you choose to argue the pessimistic side of things for no reason, even in the face of obvious success.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:40 PM
  #249
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score
 
MoldyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 7,619
vCash: 500
Having rewatched the majority of Game 1, we didn't employ a more aggressive forecheck that game. It was mostly 1-2-2, with a few judicious exceptions....

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:43 PM
  #250
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Everyone knows the mistakes and issues we had with Therrien during the season. It's all that was ever talked about. But when he blatantly outcoaches Cooper in the playoffs, he deserves recognition for it. The way he has coached for the past couple of weeks has been impressive.

The fact that you want to revisit all the complaints of Therrien we talked about at length during the regular season just goes to show how often you choose to argue the pessimistic side of things for no reason, even in the face of obvious success.
I personally don't think he outcoached Cooper and am not impressed by the coaching job. These are all opinions and one isn't better than the other.

The funny thing is I always look at the pessimistic side except like you know...when I praise and defend players who get pooped on.

When people in here are saying what he did in the regular season was justified because we beat a undermatched team in the playoffs, I have to say something about it.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.