HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien

View Poll Results: Rate Michel Therrien
Good 157 49.37%
Average 119 37.42%
Bad 42 13.21%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
  #251
Big Lurk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
1st - Price isn't a Vezina nominee

2nd - I never said Therrien elevated his coaching, he's coaching now the same way he did during the season. Only now, the players are giving more effort, and it shows.

I'd like to know WHY you think he was ATROCIOUS during the regular season. His treatment for Subban ? Putting Bouillon / Murray instead of Tinordi / beaulieu ? Putting Gally on the wing ? Eller on third line ? All of those decisions I agreed with. With hindsight he was right. No ones development has been compromised, unless one has trouble between the ears.
in no particular order :

1. Atrocious PP (Bouillon in instead of Emelin lol)
2. Handling of the Eller/Desharnais situation
3. Mishandled Bournival
4. Murray everywhere
5. Trapping forever even when down a goal or 2
6. No excuses, but we lost because of Subban
7. No Price and we are behind Toronto, the numbers back it
8. 5VS5 suckage suckfest
9. His face
10. his face.

the fact that everybody on the team has suckage numbers should tell you about how the team's strengths are not fully exploited

Big Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:02 PM
  #252
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
1- lmao. I know Therrien has said that Subban shouldn't have taken penalties and those may have led to losses, but I'd like to see even a shred of proof from you proving that Therrien specifically blamed Subban for a loss on multiple occasions. You're being so dramatic.

2- Wh... What? Desharnais has been our top line center for almost the entire season... He's the one playing with Pacioretty and Vanek. I'm at a loss for words as to how you can even attempt to argue otherwise. Plekanec may be more valuable overall, but it doesn't change the fact that Desharnais plays on the top line, which produces the most points for the Habs. Desharnais has better production than Plekanec over the past three seasons, and he has better chemistry with our top scorer. I'm honestly shocked at your logic here. Therrien gave the kid line lots of ice opportunities, but the truth of the matter is that it was solely Eller's fault for his "regression" (lol) because he played poorly after his strong beginning. The fact that you suggest playing Eller on our powerplay is laughable. Therrien is setting an example that you need to work for your opportunities; he's not just going to throw it at Eller and hope it sticks. He gave him powerplay opportunities, but Eller never demonstrated that he deserved consistent time on the powerplay. It's almost like you didn't watch hockey this season.

3- Your complaint doesn't make sense though, because Therrien gave Galchenyuk a couple of opportunities at center anyways, during the season. He's still super young, and to give him opportunities at center would be at the expense of Eller, who we are also attempting to develop and is further along his development curve.

4- Yes, in the regular season it plummeted, but that was not the responsibility of Therrien. Again, place blame on those were are responsible. Therrien knows it's important and has been making efforts to fix it. I see no reason why you are blaming him for this.

5- Funny, the only stats that matter (the standings) tell me something else than what you're trying to say. They were one of the best teams in the league at the latter bit of the season. And the Habs are still playing a similar style to what we played during the season, we just modified it in order to combat Tampa's speed and emphasize transitional play.

6-....You're seriously trying to tell me I'm the one nitpicking when you're the one that listed 8 silly reasons why you don't like Therrien, a couple of which aren't even his fault. None of our players really regressed, most stayed on par with what they are used to, and a handful of our players had fantastic seasons and did indeed improve. What the hell are you trying to say here? You want our entire team to improve in one season? This is the silliest point you made. A bunch of our players got better, including Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, Markov, Desharnais, and others compared to last season, but none got worse. What else could you possibly want? This is such an unfounded complaint, and it makes no sense.

8- What you're trying to say here makes no sense. His changing of the system was essentially a process in order to instil a more work-oriented team as opposed to just pure speed and skill. He wanted to emphasize hard work when he adopted a grinding style, and it worked well at the end of the season. He modified the system to completely sweep the Lightning in the playoffs. I have no clue what issue you have with the system at this point.

I can't comprehend how you don't believe you're nitpicking when you wrote 8 reasons why you criticized Therrien. I'm glad you like how we played in the playoffs, because I think it was a great series with fantastic coaching and teamwork from the Habs. They executed every game plan to a tee. It was fun to watch.
1- I guess you didn't follow as much as you think then. Either that or your memory is not as good as mine. In any event, the Therrien vs PK debate was on full force for most of the year, really, where have you been? And yes, a lot of it was created by our own coach publicly bashing and flat out blaming PK for losses.
I usually don't like to dig up things that clearly happened for posters that seemed to have missed it, you can do your own homework. But I'll make an exception this time:
http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/deshar...assez-3.885785

''2 mauvaises executions par un defenseur (PK Subban) et c'est dommage, dans le fond c'est ca qui a couté le match'' (paraphrasing but feel free to watch the video).
In case you don't speak french, in a nutshell, Therrien says there were 2 poorly executed plays by a Dman (PK) and that's what cost them the game.
This wasn't the only time either. He did it a few times.
So laugh all you want, but you just proved that you really have nothing to add to this particular question.


2- So much fail in this point, I don't know where to start. Plekanec had the most ice time, therefore, I put him #1. Pretty simple stuff. Also, you said DD is better offensively, well, every time Plekanec had the benefits of playing with our best wingers, he outproduced DD. But let me guess, in your mind, you think comparing the player who gets used as the main shutdown guy, toughest match ups, toughest responsibilities, weaker wingers, to the guy that gets put in a way more favorable position to produce is fair?? Therrien decided to construct our lines the way he did and he established a role for each one. Looking at the team, he felt that was the best way to optimize his roster. It has nothing to do with him thinking DD is the best offensive center.
As for the rest, I mean you contradict yourself so badly. Again, the stats are there for you to see. Eller produced on the EGG line. They were split up because the rest of the team wasn't producing and we were around .500 mark. So when they went into their own little funk (as most trios do) Gallagher was moved. Still, Eller and Galy kept producing at about .5 while seeing their ice time drop. Then Galy was moved up to play with Plek and Gio because Bourque/Bournival/Briere just couldn't quite cut it (at least not for Therrien), and then Eller's production dropped completely and his PP time vanished. That's what happened. People really have bad memories. I'm not saying Eller doesn't share some responsibilities. He does. But to suggest Eller was in a complete funk and that's why players were moved is just flat out wrong.
And funny you say Therrien instilled a ''work for your chances'' attitude when DD was garbage and freely got to play with Galla-MaxPac. He hadn't earned jack crap.
I mean really dude, you're making me wonder if you followed this team at all during the season.

3- I would have liked to see Galchenyuk be used at center more, and we could have done it for a good while with DD playing like crap to start, and definitely during the exhibition games which is the right way to start imo. I don't think it's the end of the world. But it's something I would have liked.

4- Dude. There is no simplest thing to understand. Therrien oversees everything. If his assistant cannot fix a problem, then he needs to step in and fix it himself. I mean really, not sure how this is difficult for you to understand. What's funny here is that our ES play during the season was crap too, but nobody wants to admit that. For the PP, it's not his fault. Let me guess though, we have no issues to credit him for the PK?
Therrien is responsible for everything. He delegates. If the person he appointed to a role is failing, then he needs to step in. He's failed in fixing the PP.

5- Sure, at the end of the day, results are the only thing that matter. But when you are trying to analyze how a team actually performed, then you need to dig in much deeper than just the standings. They don't tell the whole story and can be influenced by a number of factors that are completely irrelevant to coaching (like injuries, scheduling, timing, luck...).
When you look at the overall season, no, the team was not structurally strong, and if it wasn't obvious for you when watching, then the basic stats should have helped you raise doubts in your analysis, and if that wasn't enough, then the advanced stats should surely have turned your doubts into reality. If you choose to ignore all of that, then you're just being a fan, and there's nothing wrong with that. But don't try to get into a discussion after.
We are not playing now like we did most of the year. That's just a cold hard fact. You will never be able to prove otherwise. All you can really do is keep a blind eye and ignore the very telling stats.

6- Now I'm definitely convinced you haven't followed the team at all.
Plek has one of his worst productive years. PK regressed. Galla-Galy stayed the course but they're sophomores and didn't strike me as the ''sophomore jinx'' type, and they weren't, but they didn't improve. Gionta regressed and is now a 3rd liner. Briere one of his worst seasons. Diaz regressed. Eller regressed. Moen regressed. Emelin has not improved in any way. Bourque career low. Prust regressed.
By regression, I mean compared to last year.
I mean seriously dude..did you follow anything this year??

8- I have no problem with the system we used in the POs. We played completely differently in the season. If you can't see the difference then you either didn't watch much of the season (which is what I'm thinking seeing how you have such a poor recollection of what happened this year) or you just don't know or pay much attention to what is really going on during games.


I listed 8 things I didn't like from Therrien. You tried to counter them but seriously, you've failed miserably. A simple ''I don't care about any of this, I just look at the W column'' would have made more sense.

I don't have much of an issue with Therrien, overall I think he's done a pretty good job since joining us for the 2nd time. So really, I have no reason to nitpick anything. As I said before, why would I criticize him for this season and then also say I think he's done a pretty good job overall?? Really. Why?
I'm not biased, I have no issues giving 2nd chances and I'm pretty patient. Also, I'm more than willing to admit being wrong. But I'm not wrong about a thing here.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:26 PM
  #253
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
outcoached him? How?
He said "outcouched", MT has a much nicer LaZyBoy.

loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:47 PM
  #254
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I'm talking about in the playoffs. His playoff performance has not been criticized. His regular season performance has and rightfully so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
4 straight, unanswered wins and a 100 point season. But i guess that's not enough for you. You wanna know,"What have you done for me lately, Mikey?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why watch games when all you have to do is look at the standings? Extend Bylsma now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
What about evaluating the coach? Is that the only way coaches can be evaluated? Wins? Regular season wins? If that's all it takes then I'm sure Bylsma would have a lifetime contract in the eyes of many people here.

All it took was 4 playoff wins for some to not question all of the crap MT did during the regular season. Hilarious.

Someone earlier accused you of moving the goalposts everytime one of your points was countered. The above proves his point.

You claim he sucked in the reg season. People show you we got a 100 points. You claim - with a straight face on top of it - that winning isn't everything. Okay. We swept our opponents in the 1st round. You claim 4 games doesn't wipe off the reg season......but we got a 100 points. No, you claim, the 100 points were not to your liking. And round and round and round we go. Why don't we park this discuss until the end of the next round.

That will give you enough time to come up with more lame excuses of why the Habs won against the Bruins. And if you don't come up with any excuses you can always go on their forum and ask them to borrow their wheel. Tell them you think Therrien sucks. I'm sure they'll accommodate you.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:18 PM
  #255
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I personally don't think he outcoached Cooper and am not impressed by the coaching job. These are all opinions and one isn't better than the other.

The funny thing is I always look at the pessimistic side except like you know...when I praise and defend players who get pooped on.

When people in here are saying what he did in the regular season was justified because we beat a undermatched team in the playoffs, I have to say something about it.
What he did in the regular season was put a winning lineup together and knew how to match lines. He made mistakes sure but you are treating him like he was a terrible coach all year and we finished 10-72.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:23 PM
  #256
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
That's lame. I agree with you, there's no way to discuss things with this poster. 100 points season ? Yeah they won but they sucked. A series swept ? The other team was bad.

Now he just ignores my posts. That's just sad really. To me he is a troll, nothing more, nothing less. Can't have a discussion with a guy that thinks that because we don't agree with his vision, we're only looking at standings. Sure we look at standings but he's not the only one that knows the game of hockey. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and it's allright like that but not giving an ounce of credit to this team's coach is baffling, unless that guy thought the Habs were about to win the President's trophy with 120 points and that because of Therrien we ended up with ONLY 100 points.
He disagrees with you, so he must be a troll. He's talking about the process that lead to the 100 points, not everything is sunshine and lollipops because you achieve 100 points. The team was outplayed for the majority of the season, relied heavily on Price and got results that didn't necessarily reflect their play.

They are in the bottom 10 of the league in shot differential during the regular season, near the bottom in 5vs5 scoring. Individual players, for the most part, had some of their poorest seasons, aside from Pacioretty and Price.

The good, their PK was excellent and their goaltending as well. The pp went from being excellent to average. The possession we had in round 1 is exactly the type of team we need to be in order to have long term sustainable success.

The lay and pray strategy of conceding possession and getting routinely outshot is not something any coaching staff should strive for. We survived it and actually had pretty good results overall. Over the long run, getting outshot routinely will ultimately lead to poor results, luckily for us, 82 games is just as arbitrary a number as 48 and strange things can happen over short samples, but getting routinely outshot and having a negative shot differential and pathetic 5vs5 scoring are not attributes that should be positively attributed to the coaching staff. They got lucky to get 100 points.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:26 PM
  #257
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Someone earlier accused you of moving the goalposts everytime one of your points was countered. The above proves his point.

You claim he sucked in the reg season. People show you we got a 100 points. You claim - with a straight face on top of it - that winning isn't everything. Okay. We swept our opponents in the 1st round. You claim 4 games doesn't wipe off the reg season......but we got a 100 points. No, you claim, the 100 points were not to your liking. And round and round and round we go. Why don't we park this discuss until the end of the next round.

That will give you enough time to come up with more lame excuses of why the Habs won against the Bruins. And if you don't come up with any excuses you can always go on their forum and ask them to borrow their wheel. Tell them you think Therrien sucks. I'm sure they'll accommodate you.
Did I say Therrien sucks? Where? It's funny how saying MT made many bewildering moves and poor moves at times = he sucks. There's no reasoning with some of you people. Do you even know what analysis is? Are dead bodies just tossed in a hole, or is an ANALYSIS conducted on HOW the person died?

If you only look at numbers to rate a player, coach, team..then don't evne bother talking to me. No need to have a discussion with someone who can't look deeper than stats.

Crosby and Malkin are PPG in the playoffs this year and using the logic of some people here, they're playing great hockey! The numbers show it! But anyone with a set of eyes and a brain can tell you they're not playing well.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:29 PM
  #258
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
He disagrees with you, so he must be a troll. He's talking about the process that lead to the 100 points, not everything is sunshine and lollipops because you achieve 100 points. The team was outplayed for the majority of the season, relied heavily on Price and got results that didn't necessarily reflect their play.

They are in the bottom 10 of the league in shot differential during the regular season, near the bottom in 5vs5 scoring. Individual players, for the most part, had some of their poorest seasons, aside from Pacioretty and Price.

The good, their PK was excellent and their goaltending as well. The pp went from being excellent to average. The possession we had in round 1 is exactly the type of team we need to be in order to have long term sustainable success.

The lay and pray strategy of conceding possession and getting routinely outshot is not something any coaching staff should strive for. We survived it and actually had pretty good results overall. Over the long run, getting outshot routinely will ultimately lead to poor results, luckily for us, 82 games is just as arbitrary a number as 48 and strange things can happen over short samples, but getting routinely outshot and having a negative shot differential and pathetic 5vs5 scoring are not attributes that should be positively attributed to the coaching staff. They got lucky to get 100 points.
I don't understand this,

We have an 100 point season and it still isn't good enough for some people. Isn't it the 100 points that matters ? Its the same thing as goals, if you get a garbage goal and it helps you win the stanley cup then it doesn't matter if it was garbage. The thing that matters is always the results, not how you got there.

Habs fans are never happy, we could win the cup and people would say "Well yea but we go outplayed", so what we still won the cup.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:29 PM
  #259
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
I love the "don't use just stats to support your argument" which is usually immediately followed by "we got a 100 points, how could he be bad?" The hypocrisy here is incredible.

KrissE summarized my thoughts on Therrien to the letter.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:30 PM
  #260
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
What he did in the regular season was put a winning lineup together and knew how to match lines. He made mistakes sure but you are treating him like he was a terrible coach all year and we finished 10-72.
I give him credit for the record. However, that's where it stops. As far as matching lines. You sure about that? In the regular season he couldn't match lines for ****. I have no problem with people wanting to give him credit. But please don't rewrite the past and act like MT made great moves all year. Don't act like he shouldn't be questioned. #firetherrien was some kind of joke or were people pissed off with him as a coach? Lets not act like none of that existed and because we beat a team missing their Vezina nominated goalie re-writes all the head scratching stuff Therrien did.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:34 PM
  #261
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I give him credit for the record. However, that's where it stops. As far as matching lines. You sure about that? In the regular season he couldn't match lines for ****. I have no problem with people wanting to give him credit. But please don't rewrite the past and act like MT made great moves all year. Don't act like he shouldn't be questioned. #firetherrien was some kind of joke or were people pissed off with him as a coach? Lets not act like none of that existed and because we beat a team missing their Vezina nominated goalie re-writes all the head scratching stuff Therrien did.
So what if we got results ?

He could have put Desharnais with Weise and Briere !

If we get results thats all that matters !

Plus look at the lines we have now, I would say those are pretty well matched up together.

He would try stuff and when it wouldnt work he would change it. What is the big problem with that ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:35 PM
  #262
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I love the "don't use just stats to support your argument" which is usually immediately followed by "we got a 100 points, how could he be bad?" The hypocrisy here is incredible.

KrissE summarized my thoughts on Therrien to the letter.
Pretty much. Lets talk about stats when rating MT, but don't talk about the 5on5, PP, puck posession stats, etc because those don't matter.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
  #263
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I don't understand this,

We have an 100 point season and it still isn't good enough for some people. Isn't it the 100 points that matters ? Its the same thing as goals, if you get a garbage goal and it helps you win the stanley cup then it doesn't matter if it was garbage. The thing that matters is always the results, not how you got there.

Habs fans are never happy, we could win the cup and people would say "Well yea but we go outplayed", so what we still won the cup.
Here we go again "100 points, yippee". I'm done here, no one is saying everything is doom and gloom or that we suck. I actually believe in this team, think it's a great group mix of talent and grit, we disagree on the quality of the coaching staff, a very minor point in the grand scheme of things.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
  #264
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
So what if we got results ?

He could have put Desharnais with Weise and Briere !

If we get results thats all that matters !

Plus look at the lines we have now, I would say those are pretty well matched up together.

He would try stuff and when it wouldnt work he would change it. What is the big problem with that ?
You're not seeing the big picture, but that's fine.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:46 PM
  #265
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
1- I guess you didn't follow as much as you think then. Either that or your memory is not as good as mine. In any event, the Therrien vs PK debate was on full force for most of the year, really, where have you been? And yes, a lot of it was created by our own coach publicly bashing and flat out blaming PK for losses.
I usually don't like to dig up things that clearly happened for posters that seemed to have missed it, you can do your own homework. But I'll make an exception this time:
http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/deshar...assez-3.885785

''2 mauvaises executions par un defenseur (PK Subban) et c'est dommage, dans le fond c'est ca qui a couté le match'' (paraphrasing but feel free to watch the video).
In case you don't speak french, in a nutshell, Therrien says there were 2 poorly executed plays by a Dman (PK) and that's what cost them the game.
This wasn't the only time either. He did it a few times.
So laugh all you want, but you just proved that you really have nothing to add to this particular question.


2- So much fail in this point, I don't know where to start. Plekanec had the most ice time, therefore, I put him #1. Pretty simple stuff. Also, you said DD is better offensively, well, every time Plekanec had the benefits of playing with our best wingers, he outproduced DD. But let me guess, in your mind, you think comparing the player who gets used as the main shutdown guy, toughest match ups, toughest responsibilities, weaker wingers, to the guy that gets put in a way more favorable position to produce is fair?? Therrien decided to construct our lines the way he did and he established a role for each one. Looking at the team, he felt that was the best way to optimize his roster. It has nothing to do with him thinking DD is the best offensive center.
As for the rest, I mean you contradict yourself so badly. Again, the stats are there for you to see. Eller produced on the EGG line. They were split up because the rest of the team wasn't producing and we were around .500 mark. So when they went into their own little funk (as most trios do) Gallagher was moved. Still, Eller and Galy kept producing at about .5 while seeing their ice time drop. Then Galy was moved up to play with Plek and Gio because Bourque/Bournival/Briere just couldn't quite cut it (at least not for Therrien), and then Eller's production dropped completely and his PP time vanished. That's what happened. People really have bad memories. I'm not saying Eller doesn't share some responsibilities. He does. But to suggest Eller was in a complete funk and that's why players were moved is just flat out wrong.
And funny you say Therrien instilled a ''work for your chances'' attitude when DD was garbage and freely got to play with Galla-MaxPac. He hadn't earned jack crap.
I mean really dude, you're making me wonder if you followed this team at all during the season.

3- I would have liked to see Galchenyuk be used at center more, and we could have done it for a good while with DD playing like crap to start, and definitely during the exhibition games which is the right way to start imo. I don't think it's the end of the world. But it's something I would have liked.

4- Dude. There is no simplest thing to understand. Therrien oversees everything. If his assistant cannot fix a problem, then he needs to step in and fix it himself. I mean really, not sure how this is difficult for you to understand. What's funny here is that our ES play during the season was crap too, but nobody wants to admit that. For the PP, it's not his fault. Let me guess though, we have no issues to credit him for the PK?
Therrien is responsible for everything. He delegates. If the person he appointed to a role is failing, then he needs to step in. He's failed in fixing the PP.

5- Sure, at the end of the day, results are the only thing that matter. But when you are trying to analyze how a team actually performed, then you need to dig in much deeper than just the standings. They don't tell the whole story and can be influenced by a number of factors that are completely irrelevant to coaching (like injuries, scheduling, timing, luck...).
When you look at the overall season, no, the team was not structurally strong, and if it wasn't obvious for you when watching, then the basic stats should have helped you raise doubts in your analysis, and if that wasn't enough, then the advanced stats should surely have turned your doubts into reality. If you choose to ignore all of that, then you're just being a fan, and there's nothing wrong with that. But don't try to get into a discussion after.
We are not playing now like we did most of the year. That's just a cold hard fact. You will never be able to prove otherwise. All you can really do is keep a blind eye and ignore the very telling stats.

6- Now I'm definitely convinced you haven't followed the team at all.
Plek has one of his worst productive years. PK regressed. Galla-Galy stayed the course but they're sophomores and didn't strike me as the ''sophomore jinx'' type, and they weren't, but they didn't improve. Gionta regressed and is now a 3rd liner. Briere one of his worst seasons. Diaz regressed. Eller regressed. Moen regressed. Emelin has not improved in any way. Bourque career low. Prust regressed.
By regression, I mean compared to last year.
I mean seriously dude..did you follow anything this year??

8- I have no problem with the system we used in the POs. We played completely differently in the season. If you can't see the difference then you either didn't watch much of the season (which is what I'm thinking seeing how you have such a poor recollection of what happened this year) or you just don't know or pay much attention to what is really going on during games.


I listed 8 things I didn't like from Therrien. You tried to counter them but seriously, you've failed miserably. A simple ''I don't care about any of this, I just look at the W column'' would have made more sense.

I don't have much of an issue with Therrien, overall I think he's done a pretty good job since joining us for the 2nd time. So really, I have no reason to nitpick anything. As I said before, why would I criticize him for this season and then also say I think he's done a pretty good job overall?? Really. Why?
I'm not biased, I have no issues giving 2nd chances and I'm pretty patient. Also, I'm more than willing to admit being wrong. But I'm not wrong about a thing here.
1- It's funny because my first response to this point was "true, to an extent" and that's because I said Therrien never bashed him. That implies he insulted him or ridiculed him. Placing the blame on a "defenseman", in one game, without even saying his name, is far from bashing. Sure, it's immature, but give it a break with "Therrien bashes PK on multiple occasions". I agreed with you that he misused him a lot, but stop being so dramatic with him "bashing" Subban.

2- So your argument is that, because Plekanec had more ice time than Desharnais, he is the #1 center? Oh my. I'm pretty sure the center who plays on the top line is the top center.The center who plays on the top powerplay unit is the #1 center. Desharnais is both of those. Plekanec has more ice time because he plays on the penalty kill as well as the second unit of the powerplay. I honestly can't believe you're trying to say Plekanec is our #1 center when it's quite obvious he isn't the one playing on the #1 line. You can argue he is our most valuable center, but not our #1... The last time Plekanec out-produced Desharnais, it was Desharnais' first season in the league. He is also outproducing Plekanec this season too, despite having an awful start and actually being scratched numerous times.

3- Again, Galchenyuk DID play at center multiple times this season. You just told me that you question whether I even watched this team when you're whining about something that actually happened. The kid is 20, Eller is further in the development curve, so let Eller develop at center while Galchenyuk develops his NHL game. I don't understand why you could possibly nitpick something like this, when the course of action taken was by far the most logical.

4- Man, this is getting pathetic. You are so stubborn. The powerplay was not Therrien's responsibility, and when he noticed that it was seriously struggling, he began to focus on it. Not too hard to understand, so stop whining. I understand he delegates, but he isn't in charge of the actual powerplay. He is obviously making efforts to fix it, yet you are still complaining.

5- I've never seen someone type so much without having any content in their post, or a single shred of an argument. Stop rambling! The team struggled scoring 5-on-5 for a long stretch this season, but we still ended up 16th in 5-on-5 Goals For/Against. Eller struggled this year in terms of production, Pacioretty and Desharnais were awful for the first 20 games or so, Plekanec barely produced at .5 PPG. Our team struggled with offense this year, but succeeded a lot in restricting goals. So in the end, your complaints are still nitpicking because we finished with 100 points and deserved to do so. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining. Even elite teams have issues, like Colorado/Tampa's awful penalty kill or LA's horrible powerplay. They are still considered great-to-elite teams this season.

6- All I can say is... wow. How exactly can you argue that PK Subban regressed from a half-season? And are you honestly trying to tell me Plekanec regressed just because his production on the second line wasn't PPG? And... Moen regressed?! HAHAHA! Holy crap!!! I always thought you knew at least a bit about hockey, but if you're going to sit there and say Moen regressed, you're absolutely full of ****. It seems to me that you are one of those people who bases a season solely on point production, even if it's a fourth liner. I almost want to put this #6 as my signature, it's so laughably flawed. Almost every single player you listed didn't actually regress. The only one I'll agree with is Eller. Gionta didn't regress- he just took on a new role with the team. Another perfect example of how you're only looking at stats to argue that players regressed. Only those with very low hockey IQ argue player skill based solely on stats. This is just sad, man.

8- The only argument you keep saying is "we've changed, if you can't see that then you're crazy" despite providing any actual argument. It's like I'm having a discussion with a child! Present an argument instead of all your bickering! The team is playing puck pressure on the forecheck, as always, and position-oriented focusing on shot-blocking and clogging lanes on defense, as we did all season (last year we had a puck-pressure system on defense). We are playing a similar neutral zone strategy to what we have been lately, as I recall. As I said, I believe we have modified some of our game to combat Tampa's speed, but we still have many of the same basics. Please, explain otherwise with your enlightened arguments of "if you can't see my baseless argument, you don't watch hockey".

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 08:57 PM
  #266
etnicay
Registered User
 
etnicay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mount REAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
How suck is Michel now, u ungrateful pseudo Habs fan.

Les Bruins puent

Vive les glorieux

etnicay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:03 PM
  #267
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 500
Best necro

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:13 PM
  #268
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21,337
vCash: 500
Most appropriate bump ever, which does a terrific job at showing who isn't worth reading on these boards.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:13 PM
  #269
dgeezus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
#FireTherrien...

dgeezus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:14 PM
  #270
boynickname
Registered User
 
boynickname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lima Peru
Country: Canada
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Well done Michel Therrien....haters will hate...BUT
Haters only hate the things that they can't get, and the people they can't be.........

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:17 PM
  #271
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 500
Fair to say he's out coaches cooper and was at least on par with fat whiny face?

Yes.

Haters can suck it

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:17 PM
  #272
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,822
vCash: 500
#FireTherrien

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:18 PM
  #273
HabsRockBruinsChoke
Registered User
 
HabsRockBruinsChoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseOllini View Post
#FireTherrien

HabsRockBruinsChoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:21 PM
  #274
Andrei79
Registered User
 
Andrei79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Most appropriate bump ever, which does a terrific job at showing who isn't worth reading on these boards.
Haha, my thoughtss exactly.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:26 PM
  #275
Mahleezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Still think Therrien is awful??

I mean I read these boards all year and I saw a lot more animosity on here towards him.

I mean he's brought us to the 3rd round... conference final!!!

Carbonneau did that in 2009 and brfore that was like years ago.

Gotta give him props!

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.