HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to win at beer league?

Old
04-17-2014, 07:28 PM
True Player For Life

vCash: 500
How to win at beer league?

Since I play at a level where the teams are not very talented. Can any one give me some easy set team plays that we can easily implement to dupe the other team. Thanks

and by that i mean sources? links? articles etc.

True Player For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 07:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Proper positioning goes a loooong way.

Simply knowing what to do at the points, both offensively and defensively, is often enough to decide the game.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 08:11 PM
JoeCool16

If your team isn't very good at skating (and they aren't either) in that you're not fleet of foot and also fast, then work on zone entry. Dump and chase probably won't work.

For a set play, carry the puck in on the wing and pull their defense to the side. If he can't keep up, then cut around him to the net and score. If he can, then stay wide and drop it back to your trailing player (centre or winger, whoever wasn't carrying the puck in). Have him enter behind you, but more centered. You've dragged one of the defensemen away from the play so he should have a fairly good opening for a shot.

If he stays with you but also keeps himself between you and the trailer, then just go to the corner and ring the puck around to your opposite defenseman, or put it back behind you off the boards to your defense or trailer and start the cycle. Let the defense know you're going to involve them first so they get into position, sometimes at this level they aren't quite quick enough to grab these plays! You can also just hide behind their net and hope that one of your guys can get open out front before they chase you out.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Beezeral

If it's not a talented league, set plays aren't what you need considering your team probably isn't skilled enough or have enough time to practice them. Focus on playing fundamental hockey, aka forwards back checking, crashing the net for every rebound. Clearing all garbage away from your goalie and that should be more than enough to give you the advantage you are looking for.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 09:54 PM
MattGTI

Give and go's work almost every time in my league to create space and scoring chances.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 10:03 PM
rinkrat22

I know this will get some laughs, but if you want to win in beer league, no matter the level? forecheck and backcheck. moving your feet and forcing the play will always make the difference. set plays and such are nice but nothing beats hard work and pressure on the puck. at least not in beer league.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 12:09 AM
ssdlpf

shoot the puck

ssdlpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:39 AM
rh71

I agree with give and go or even using the boards for quick-ups.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 10:33 AM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

Always have a guy hang out in open ice. If your league is truly recreational, then the weak side is almost always no mans land. Make a strong lead pass to the cross ice boards always works in my league. And hopefully a give and go is set from there.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Terry Yake

go to the net

good things happen when you crash the net

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 03:28 PM
mistrhanky

Man... I asked about set plays one time and got... lit... up. But, several seasons later I would say... they are mostly right.

1. Forecheck. Always pressure the other team in their zone. A lot of new teams fail to do this and wonder why the other team is always so organized coming up the ice. A good forecheck will do you wonders.

2. Make your wingers play the point defensively. Too often they get way too low and you will never break out. Don't let this habit begin.

3. Shoot the damn puck. Then shoot it some more. Forget all the fancy passes, and just get it to the net and crash. I have had many goalies tell me that if we would have just shot the puck instead of trying to make a clever pass, he probably would have missed one or two more.

4. Have a simple plan. If you want to call it a set play, then do that. F1 carries the puck wide into the zone, F2 TRAILS him to look for drops or the common mishandle/pokecheck, F3 goes to the net. After that, just work the triangle. You would be amazed how many times you score with that F2.

5. If you can't win a face off, just take your weakest winger and have him take the draw and go for the tie up. Have your better players step in and grab the puck off of that. You may not win faceoffs, but you don't have to lose them cleanly.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 04:51 PM
AntsSheffield

/\/\/\/\ all this, which is largely based on POSITION, POSITION, POSITION

Wingers patrol from their blue line to opposition goal. Cover the opposition D/break out and go

Centres go up and down the middle, helping out the D as much as they can

D - can anyone sketch a basic D beer league role?

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Bengerm77

Have you tried cheating? Bringing in ringers usually works pretty well

Bengerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:27 PM
JulianHopper*

Get the puck out of your own end. Have your D make a shorter pass rather than a long one which could be intercepted or be an icing.

If you can get every player on your team to play their position and pick up their man, that will go a long way and make up for a lack of talent.

Have fun and skate, fore check, only one man in deep and back check.

Don't worry about trying to pass in the high slot from the face off dots unless you have a wide open guy, shoot everything on net from there.

Take short shifts and just outwork the other team.

JulianHopper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 12:37 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
not so much set plays but have 2-3 things that all lines on your team do in the offensive zone. that way everyone is on the same page. Also have an honest discussion on how you want to break out of your own zone. it doesnt have to be pretty but if you are going to have one guy standing still as the puck rings around the boards then you need to have the C and other winger know thats what is going to happen.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 12:59 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Set plays in lower level beer league, or pretty much any level beer league is like trying to control chaos. There isn't a coach behind the bench and there are no punishments handed out if you don't follow orders, guys still drink beer after the game, go home and go to work the next day. To me it's more about having 10 guys who understand their role on the team, know how to play THEIR position and all have the same desire to win games. That said I have yet to see the crash the net strategy not work, get the puck to the front, clean up the garbage.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianHopper View Post
Get the puck out of your own end.
And don't be like one of my teams where they think that means to ice it every possible chance.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Set plays in lower level beer league, or pretty much any level beer league is like trying to control chaos. There isn't a coach behind the bench and there are no punishments handed out if you don't follow orders, guys still drink beer after the game, go home and go to work the next day. To me it's more about having 10 guys who understand their role on the team, know how to play THEIR position and all have the same desire to win games. That said I have yet to see the crash the net strategy not work, get the puck to the front, clean up the garbage.
This a thousand times. I play in the lowest division at our rink and of our 40 goals, probably 30-35 have come from banging in rebounds or shots within 4 feet of the net.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Sleepy

You know those annoying cliche's announcers say in the NHL? They pretty much are true in beer league:
  • Play position - Dzone, Breakout, O-Zone. 3rd forward high in O-zone will get you SOOO many chances, keep pucks in, wreck their breakout, and prevent 3on2's. Actually, don't do that. My team will win a lot less games if everyone else starts doing it.
  • Backcheck - It's a whole lot harder to dangle when someone's hot on your 6'.
  • Forecheck - But in position! if someone else is in front of you, you're F2 not F1!
  • Head up - Get your head up to see the next pass before the puck arrives
  • Support/Crash - When your team has a chance to shoot, crash the net. When your team has the puck in a non-shooting position support the puck (facing the boards, behind the net, etc)
  • Stickhandle less - An oft-quoted statistic is that in Canada's gold medal game, Joe Sakic dominated with 2 goals and 2 assists. He had the puck on his stick for only 79 seconds that game. Pass quicker, shoot quicker.
  • On 2on1's, Pass less - If you're unpressured, shoot. If the defensemen is equally guarding both of you, shoot. If the defenseman has his stick toward your side, pass.
  • Pass firmly - If your pass travels about the same speed as a skater, you're doing it wrong.
  • Use the boards - It's safe, easy, and effective. What more do you want?
  • Pass to the tape - The above being true, picking up breakout passes along the boards sucks. If you can put it on the winger's tape, do it and watch your team consistently catch opponent's flat-footed.
  • Play with people your style - If you're laid back, find a team that's laid back. If you're intense and competitive, find a like-minded team. If you think of yourself as a beer league enforcer, quit beer leagues.

For a list of drills/plays, I like http://weisstechhockey.com

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
You know those annoying cliche's announcers say in the NHL? They pretty much are true in beer league:
  • Head up - Get your head up to see the next pass before the puck arrives
  • If you think of yourself as a beer league enforcer, quit beer leagues.
Those are two great ones. A lot of guys try to slow the game down and find a passing target, but not until after they have the puck. A pre-check will let you work a lot faster.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Being the faster team wins 99% of the time in beer leagues.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Crosbyfan

How to win at Beer League

Bringing the beer always helps...also being patient with the more fat and out of shape teammates, and not taking yourself to seriously.

That said, if it is competitive, it is nice to have everyone on the same page and focused to the same degree, more or less, even if the level of skill varies.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:32 AM
hyster110

biggest thing to win in beer league, HAVE TEAMMATES THAT WILL ACTUALLY TRY

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 08:47 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Since I only started a few years ago I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm actually about the best player on my team, even if we are in the bottom division of the league. We've crushed both teams we've played so far, and I've scored a goal with several assists each game, could have had more if I tried hard, but the opponents have been pretty low level so I didn't want to pour it on.

While only two weeks in, I think one major key for what works well in beer league is for the forwards to be in constant motion in the offensive zone - this is not like hoops where you can play isolation offenses waiting for carmelo anthony to beat his man one on one. If you combine motion with quick passing to open teammates, you will score pretty frequently in beer league. Lots of motion from the forwards, and everyone keeps their head up so they can receive and make a pass quickly, but not rushed.

Also, the d-men should stay at the point to catch passes sent along the boards from forwards under pressure, and they should only pinch on rare occasion.

Last, put your best skaters on defense because they have the most responsibility stopping odd-man rushes, which against most bottom-level beer league goalies, often times leads to easy scores.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Bring lots of beer (they call it beer league for just this reason). Imbibe beer before the game (if that's your thing), after the game in the locker room (if allowed by your rink), and again afterwards in the parking lot.

You mention "lack of talent" but if it's really low levels, diagramming plays won't do any good. Ask yourself this, can your team actually run a power play with good puck movement? I'm talking crisp passes, triangulation, etc. If the answer here is no then you will be wasting your time trying to implement any real set plays because their ability to actually implement anything like this will be minimal at most, and potentially frustrating.

Are your teammates on board with this? Beer league means different things to different people, and if the guys on your team are just looking to have a good time, drink some beer, enjoy comradery, escape the wife and kids for a night, etc. then you may want to reconsider this. Everybody wants to win, but some guys just want to show up, play, drink beers, and go home.

I'd be really interested to know what level we're talking about because the advice I'd give you would change a little. There would always be beer involved however, which is the most important part IMO.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote