HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Why do I Play Poorly

Old
04-26-2014, 11:35 AM
mattkaminski15

vCash: 500
Why do I Play Poorly

Im 16 so im still kinda young I guess but i just cant put it all together. Im ok at stickhandling, I can shoot very hard, not accurate at all, I can't saucer pass, I can't go top shelf in close, hell I can't hit it from far away either. I'm pretty good at skating but I'm slow. I can play ball hockey really good and I have good hands but as soon as I hit the ice I can't do anything. My had drops to my feet, I can't Stickhandle for crap. Accuracy is still bad. I'm a big kid and I can't hit but I can take a hit. I don't understand. I work on stickhandling like 45 minutes a day. Why can't I pull everything together. Wtf is going on!!!!

Im in dire need of help.

Thanks,
Cheeze

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 04-26-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Phrasing in title
mattkaminski15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:52 AM
nolan91

How long have you been playing? If i had to guess I'd say your problem is most likely in your skating if you're a good ball hockey player. Work on your skating to the point where it is as second nature as walking or running and your hands and shot should fall into place

nolan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:56 AM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Practice stickhandling until your arms feel like they're going to fall off. And make sure you stickhandle while reaching as far as you can in all different directions (while keeping your feet in the same spot). I.e. reach behind you (to both the left and right) and stickhandle no matter how awkward it feels. Also, try stickhandling with each hand separately.

To practice shooting (or passing) gather as many pucks as you can into the same area, and keep shooting (or passing) without breaking between shots (just go shoot-shoot-shoot-shoot, as quick as you can). Again, do this until your arms feel like they're going to fall off.

Also, and this helps for any sport, stretch the **** out of as many muscles as you can find in your body. Be the best contortionist you can be.

This should all be both physically and mentally exhausting, otherwise you're not doing it right. Have breaks from these activities during the day and then get back at it. Occasionally give yourself a full day or two to rest and recover.

David McConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 111
I'm going to guess that your stick is too long if you can't go top shelf or have accuracy problems.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:07 PM
mattkaminski15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan91 View Post
How long have you been playing? If i had to guess I'd say your problem is most likely in your skating if you're a good ball hockey player. Work on your skating to the point where it is as second nature as walking or running and your hands and shot should fall into place
5 years, 6 in the fall. i always thought that might be it but im one of the best skaters in our entire program(u14, u16, u18). I guess that can still be the case but i want to get it fixed so ill try that to see if it helps, i mean i never have to think about skating anyway, unless i wanna go fast, then i have to think about making sure to push off hard, but apparently most of the kids i know do that.

Old
04-26-2014, 12:08 PM
mattkaminski15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I'm going to guess that your stick is too long if you can't go top shelf or have accuracy problems.
its up to my chin in skates. that was my thought so i cut it down from my nose and noticed a small increase but nothing noteworthy.

Old
04-26-2014, 12:12 PM
nolan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheeze View Post
5 years, 6 in the fall. i always thought that might be it but im one of the best skaters in our entire program(u14, u16, u18). I guess that can still be the case but i want to get it fixed so ill try that to see if it helps, i mean i never have to think about skating anyway, unless i wanna go fast, then i have to think about making sure to push off hard, but apparently most of the kids i know do that.
Ok, then I doubt it is your skating. Just a lot of the time I hear players say "i'm a good skater" because they can stay upright and get around the ice, when they have poor fundamentals that cause problems with the rest of their game.

nolan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:16 PM
mattkaminski15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan91 View Post
Ok, then I doubt it is your skating. Just a lot of the time I hear players say "i'm a good skater" because they can stay upright and get around the ice, when they have poor fundamentals that cause problems with the rest of their game.
I mean, obviously im not a perfect skater, i still work on it though. the main problem i actually have with skating is just balance, i mean i always seem to be caught in a turn, a stop, or anywhere where my center of balance isnt over my feet(Like changing directions), and ill get hit and just topple over. Not a big deal i mean i can take a hit if im battling, i just guess im always changing positions so thats probably why. I also thought that maybe the problem could lie with the fact that im not used to something as heavy as the puck, i mean the balls we use in ball hockey might as well be a paper, so they are fairly light.

Old
04-26-2014, 01:25 PM
PS12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheeze View Post
I also thought that maybe the problem could lie with the fact that im not used to something as heavy as the puck, i mean the balls we use in ball hockey might as well be a paper, so they are fairly light.
Thats a strong possibilty and that you probably practice stick handling with a ball instead of a puck.
My buddy told me to stop practicing with a ball and practice more with a puck.
Its easier to lift a ball than a puck.

I still practice with a ball since it rolls easier on asphalt but i use one thats weighted like a puck.

Maybe something like this

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/smart-hockey-ball.html

Or get a green biscuit.

And go to stick time and practice with a puck. They also have heavier pucks you can use for practice.

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkaminski15 View Post
Im 16 so im still kinda young I guess but i just cant put it all together. Im ok at stickhandling, I can shoot very hard, not accurate at all, I can't saucer pass, I can't go top shelf in close, hell I can't hit it from far away either. I'm pretty good at skating but I'm slow. I can play ball hockey really good and I have good hands but as soon as I hit the ice I can't do anything. My had drops to my feet, I can't Stickhandle for crap. Accuracy is still bad. I'm a big kid and I can't hit but I can take a hit. I don't understand. I work on stickhandling like 45 minutes a day. Why can't I pull everything together. Wtf is going on!!!!

Im in dire need of help.

Thanks,
Cheeze
You probably only practice with a ball on concrete. The downside of this it that you're used to stickhandling while standing completely upright instead of being in the proper hockey stance (with your knees bent). Also, the ball is easier to lift than the puck, which is possibly why you have trouble going top shelf. Sending saucer passes with a ball is easier than with a puck (the puck lands on its edge and bounces over your teammate's stick if you don't get a tight spin on it).

Get as much ice time as you can to practice shooting, passing and stickhandling, until it becomes second nature.

If you can't get any ice time, you should buy a shooting pad and a few pucks. It allows you to practice stickhandling with a puck at home.

Stickhandling is a requirement for great passing and shooting. Keep up the good work, and be confident. After all, practice makes perfect.

Eazy for Kuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Core strength is a factor in everything. I suddenly had more more control over everything when I increased mine. Maybe you should look into it.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 01:55 AM
manictech

Some people just don't have it no matter how much they practice. Can you play an instrument? There is always marching band.

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:02 AM
God
Free Citizen

sometimes you gotta stop thinking so much about what you're doing and just have fun.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:51 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
its up to my chin in skates. that was my thought so i cut it down from my nose and noticed a small increase but nothing noteworthy.
It's still too long. Cut it another half inch and see how that goes.

Work on skating technique. Elongate your stride and use your edges. Choppy stride leads to choppy hands.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Accuracy: roll your wrists and point to your target in your follow through.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 06:14 AM
Jisatsu

Stop using a ball to practice dry land stick handling. Get a green biscuit and go to town. Also use a stick weight of some sort, this will help loads with stick handling. As far as shooting goes, you probably need some 1 on 1 time to work on your shot.

Also sounds like your stick is a little long. If you like that length, maybe try a different lie to the blade. And practice practice practice. Ball hockey is not ice hockey. Similar enough but the fundamentals are all different.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
I mean, obviously im not a perfect skater, i still work on it though. the main problem i actually have with skating is just balance, i mean i always seem to be caught in a turn, a stop, or anywhere where my center of balance isnt over my feet(Like changing directions), and ill get hit and just topple over. Not a big deal i mean i can take a hit if im battling, i just guess im always changing positions so thats probably why. I also thought that maybe the problem could lie with the fact that im not used to something as heavy as the puck, i mean the balls we use in ball hockey might as well be a paper, so they are fairly light.
If you are having trouble with balance and are a slow skater after 6 years of ice hockey, I find it very hard to believe you are the best skater at your rink. You obviously give it your best and practice off ice, but like a previous poster said, you may just not have "it" which is perfectly ok. I played with plenty of guys who worked harder and wanted it more than I ever did, but just didn't have the talent to keep up. There is no need to get discouraged or quit. Just know your limitations and have fun every time you touch the ice, because the day will come where real life responsibilities limit your opportunities to play.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 09:30 AM
buddhaknows

Concentration

Long time lurker first time poster. What might be a huge issue is the metal part of your game. Obviously you're thinking about improving but are you playing the game with your eyes wide open and your mind completely focused on the game and in practice? The mental part is just as important as the physical. Focus with laser beam precision and your game will improve.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 09:35 AM
TheRedShadow

Quote:
I mean, obviously im not a perfect skater, i still work on it though. the main problem i actually have with skating is just balance
To me this shouts out that you need to get some fundamentals of skating sorted out - like knee bend and balance, practicing work on one foot/edgework etc

TheRedShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

I think I kind of know what you're talking about. I think I skate okay, but I can always skate better at a public session or just skating in the game than I can when I'm on the puck. It's a multi tasking thing, because I haven't started young enough or skated enough to be able to just do it instinctively in terms of getting about like I would on a basketball court or in any number of other sports.

When the skating part gets combined with concentrating on stick handling and situational awareness of what's happening in the game and where everyone else is, the skating concentration isn't quite as sharp and the skating falls off a little bit.

Conversely the stick handling isn't what it should be because I'm perhaps a little overly focused on the skating. I'm improving and noticing the improvement though through as much skating time and work on the skating as possible and off ice stick handling with a field hockey ball.

As for speed on the ice. I think that translates a little bit into how much exercise or athletic stuff (other sports) you do off ice too. I've start back in hockey this year a little rusty after not playing for along time, but have played other sports more recently at a higher and more serious level. I felt I was a little sluggish to start, because I was just skating, but now am also getting back into some running and the like, my speed has sharpened up recently, not to mention conditioning; and it's from the off ice stuff.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 04:25 PM
axman15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisatsu View Post
Stop using a ball to practice dry land stick handling. Get a green biscuit and go to town. Also use a stick weight of some sort, this will help loads with stick handling. As far as shooting goes, you probably need some 1 on 1 time to work on your shot.

Also sounds like your stick is a little long. If you like that length, maybe try a different lie to the blade. And practice practice practice. Ball hockey is not ice hockey. Similar enough but the fundamentals are all different.
Try this. I've played higher level hockey, and there are some blades that I just can't shoot with.

axman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 06:51 PM
RadimtheDream
ChuckBartowskiMovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman15 View Post
Try this. I've played higher level hockey, and there are some blades that I just can't shoot with.
Agreed. Could only shoot with a Kane curve everything else couldnt do it, im a pretty good stickhandler and I just practiced everyday make sure you have your head up when you do it to, stickhandle under sticks, and around stuff to, could help

RadimtheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

Quote:
Why does the lie affect your shooting ability that much ? I've tried a lot of curves, and I could shoot with all of them. The only issue was focusing on the technique for certain aspects of my shot (roofing the puck with a Kane curve, keeping it down with the Ovechkin curve...)

Old
04-27-2014, 08:46 PM
axman15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Why does the lie affect your shooting ability that much ? I've tried a lot of curves, and I could shoot with all of them. The only issue was focusing on the technique for certain aspects of my shot (roofing the puck with a Kane curve, keeping it down with the Ovechkin curve...)
No idea. Guess it's just something I get used to. If I stuck with it I probably could change curves, but not in position to change it up right now.

axman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

Quote:
No idea. Guess it's just something I get used to. If I stuck with it I probably could change curves, but not in position to change it up right now.
I like to try different curves regularly. I've used 4 different curves this year (P92, P14, P08 and Kreps), and I could easily switch curve at any time. Granted, all 4 curves are open mid/toe curves, but if I practice with one of them for 5 minutes, I'm ready to play a game with it instantly.

The problem here goes far beyond the stick curve and lie.