HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

free agents to go after

Old
03-07-2007, 06:36 PM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Briere
Gomez
Drury

i'd be happy with any of them, in that order Datysuk possibly, but i'd much rather have any of the 3 i mentioned

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
But after thoose two my interest goes down like a avalanche. I mean we got Malik-Roszival, Staal-Mara/Rachunek and Girardi-Tyutin. Thats 7 D's. Who out there is such a upgrade over thoose 7 that its worth to invest 4-6m USD for 4-5 more years? Malik have been serviceble this season, I am not sold on that he will be next season, but we still got some backup. Rachunek are only 27 y/o, and have started to really pick up his game during stretches this season, he could turn into a real asset on the trademarket if not anything else. We also got Baranka in HFD who have started to look really good.
Good points about the investment vs the return. Don't forget that Rachunek is a free agent. He has had an inconsistent season at best, I'm not too sure that he's worth what he's making this season. Is he willing to come back at a discount?

In my book, the other 5 are locks for next year. The Girardi-Tyutin pair has been our best since their formation. Malik and Roszival are signed and not going anywhere. I think its safe to assume that Sather really wants Mara on this team considering he wanted him in the offseason and he ended up trading for the guy.

The question I really want to ask is this: Is Rachunek really better than everything we have in the prospect pool? If he is I'd venture to say it isn't by a whole lot. I'd also have a real hard time buying the argument that his game at $2m is better than a Staal/Baranka at <900k

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Scott Hannan is a D man I'd really go after this year.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:06 PM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

Drury would look good.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Scott Hannan is a D man I'd really go after this year.
And the thing is he's not going to cost a fortune while he quietly steadies the defense.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:07 PM
roxchipsi8

I would love to get Drury. I've always been a big fan of his playing. I can't see Briere leaving Buffalo. I love Gomez as a player, but the idea of signing a Devil's star makes me think of the bobby holik mess. Its like the devils and holik played a practical joke on the rangers by having the rangers pick him up.

roxchipsi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
And the thing is he's not going to cost a fortune while he quietly steadies the defense.
I think he'll cost around 4M, which is a fortune to me! Haha.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:28 PM
dynamoovechkin

I love Drury, he'd look great in Ranger blue. If you think you are frustrated with Nylander not shooting, you will hear that alot more on these boards if Gomez comes aboard. Nifty little player, unbelievable skater, but not a scorer, and probably would never sign here.

Kimmo Timmonen would be a killer addition, but he seems like a long shot. Souray has had a total of 1.5 good seasons, and word out of Montreal is that he is a bit of a headcase, as witnessed when he threw Kovalev under the bus for his playoff gaffe when they collided, and the Bruins scored in transition. Screw him- another Stephan Quintal in my book.

Scott Hannan, by the way, is going nowhere. I follow SJ and Dougie Wilson loves this guy. Count on him staying in San Jose. (By the way- Doug Wilson is putting up quite the track record as a great GM, don't you think?). Now if we could get Wilson to part with Milan Michalak...

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:08 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
In order of my wants:

Briere
Drury
Gomez
Datsyuk

Souray
I agree. I dont want Souray. We need to promote the kids. We need a Big time Center.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
Briere
Gomez
Drury

i'd be happy with any of them, in that order Datysuk possibly, but i'd much rather have any of the 3 i mentioned
I want to see Datysuk make some noise in the Playoffs before I throw big money at him.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvisbisk View Post
who would you like to rangers to go after during free agency?
souray?
gomez?
briere?
drury?

souray would be a perfect fit on the powerplay, and could make the rangers the number one power play in the league.

gomez has great vision and speed, and a great attitude, and would be great for any team.

briere makes good decisions with the puck and can be clutch in times when the team needs a goal.

drury is a good all around player that scores big goals

your thoughts?

any thoughts?

Sourey would be awesome, His shot is INSANE. Would definitley want him. But he'll be too expensive. Let someone else overpay.

Gomez, No way he'll sign here and I wouldnt want him. The Rangers should avoid the trap of letting Gomez string them along while other UFAS get signed away and than watch Gomez sign with the Devils for less money. No joke

Briere/Drury- No way Buffalo loses both. I'd prefer Drury and would be very interested.

Ryan Smyth- He's awesome and it would be such a drama to sign him away from the Islanders. Wasnt he Sathers Stick Boy back in the Oiler Glory Days?

Pavel Datsyuk- Tempting if the price is right. Whats his relationship w/ Shanny?

Markov from Montreal

Brad Stuart

Scott Hartnell

I know I'll be in the minority here but at the right price I would also seriously consider Mats Sundin or Peter Forsberg if they took a one year deal.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Sourey would be awesome, His shot is INSANE. Would definitley want him. But he'll be too expensive. Let someone else overpay.

Gomez, No way he'll sign here and I wouldnt want him. The Rangers should avoid the trap of letting Gomez string them along while other UFAS get signed away and than watch Gomez sign with the Devils for less money. No joke

Briere/Drury- No way Buffalo loses both. I'd prefer Drury and would be very interested.

Ryan Smyth- He's awesome and it would be such a drama to sign him away from the Islanders. Wasnt he Sathers Stick Boy back in the Oiler Glory Days?

Pavel Datsyuk- Tempting if the price is right. Whats his relationship w/ Shanny?

Markov from Montreal

Brad Stuart

Scott Hartnell

I know I'll be in the minority here but at the right price I would also seriously consider Mats Sundin or Peter Forsberg if they took a one year deal.
on D id rather not overpay for souray and get 2 dman for that price.

On defense: Id take one of Timonen, Sarich (him and Mara played as a pair on the Bolts), Vishnevski, Danil Markov, Steve Staios (i think he is ufa), Stuart, Vaananen

at the forward position: Hartnell, Drury, Briere, Smyth, Mair, Zubrus

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
on D id rather not overpay for souray and get 2 dman for that price.

On defense: Id take one of Timonen, Sarich (him and Mara played as a pair on the Bolts), Vishnevski, Danil Markov, Steve Staios (i think he is ufa), Stuart, Vaananen

at the forward position: Hartnell, Drury, Briere, Smyth, Mair, Zubrus
I want ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Staios, Mair. Staios is just terrible, and Mair is like the 50 others 4th liners on this team.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:07 PM
boredmale

how about Tom Poti?

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
how about Tom Poti?
Sorry, I'd rather put my money into Nedved

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
What 2nd tier free agents are there? Other than the big names everyone is talking about (Drury, Briere, Gomez, Datsyuk, Souray, Smyth, etc.)

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
in the hall

drury is the only guy i like a lot

he can play in any situation, with any style of play, on any line.. he can score goals, make the pass, effective both sides of the ice.. as someone said before, just a good all around hockey player

also a leader, proven playoff performer and has been doing it for a while now

and salary wise, he will probably be on the bottom half of the amount of money those guys will make

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
I love Drury, he'd look great in Ranger blue. If you think you are frustrated with Nylander not shooting, you will hear that alot more on these boards if Gomez comes aboard. Nifty little player, unbelievable skater, but not a scorer, and probably would never sign here.
i agree with what you say about gomez, but imo he becomes redundant if we still have nylander

Old
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 View Post
What 2nd tier free agents are there? Other than the big names everyone is talking about (Drury, Briere, Gomez, Datsyuk, Souray, Smyth, etc.)
i don't know if hartnell is considered second tier but that's another guy i would love to have but the presence of cullen makes that unnecessary..

Old
03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Give me Drury, great all around player. I wouldnt want Datysuk because I think he will be overpaid. Same with Souray. I also would like Scott Hannan, a great defensive defensmen. He can shut down top foward lines.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

i really dont think we should sign any.......if we do we have no room for youth....

everyones throwing these big names out there and havent we learned our lessons from the past.......

thers one d opening....leave it for staal or baranka......

the only signing i would be ok with is for a center.....but they are all gonna be so pricey......let the kids fight it out.....i dont think they would dissapoint

lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:05 PM
NYROrtsFan

Agree completely on Hannan.

Unfortunately he's the type of guy that would cost more money then his actual numbers would warrant. The type of guy who does things on the ice that makes it difficult to quantify how much money he should get. If he hits the market, he's the type of guy the Rangers should look to even overpay for.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:32 PM
stuart

Ufa

Drury 1st. As someone wrote earlier a complete all around player.

Timmonen on D sounds good also.

Max they will get 2 FA's probably one only.

Buffalo will sign Drury and let some of their lesser FA's like Afinogenov go, since their farm system is so deep...

2nd tier Fa's I would pass on completely those are the signings they restrict the growth of our young guys.. The signings of stars does not....

stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
ivrydov

Igilna.

ivrydov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Agree completely on Hannan.

Unfortunately he's the type of guy that would cost more money then his actual numbers would warrant. The type of guy who does things on the ice that makes it difficult to quantify how much money he should get. If he hits the market, he's the type of guy the Rangers should look to even overpay for.
First of all, I really like Hannan's game, and think he would be a great fit here.

But there is often a risk involved with signing a player like him. Like we saw with Kaspar, a D with his style must be able to play a explosive game of hockey, these types can go downhill fast if their body starts taking a beating, Jovo is a better example, now McKee is injured but I defenitly would have been somewhat afraid of him.

At the same time Hannan are so young, he ought to have atleast 6 good years left in him.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote