HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT - Mar. 6 | Pittsburgh at Ottawa | Sportsnet 7:30

Old
03-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Lexicon Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
He said that We have enough goals. All we have to do is make sure we keep the lead. Unbeleivable.
Um, it's true.

If the team had played low-risk hockey they would have won. Instead they decided to make moronic plays in the neutral zone to hand Pittsburgh glorious scoring opportunities.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Did any of you catch what Kelly said in the interview after the 2nd period.

He said that We have enough goals. All we have to do is make sure we keep the lead. Unbeleivable. Here you are pressuring this rookie defence, causing them to make mistakes and take penalties and you would stop doing this... WHY?????

Instead of taking any confidence this team had going into the playoffs(agains us) away , by giving them a good drubbing, we just gave them all the confidence in the world that we can be beaten......
We PLAY them 2 more TIMES???

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 12:06 PM
bsens

Good Game Boys

Wooohooo Great game guys. Way to get 2 shots on goal in the third. Don't worry Ray, not resigning Hasek was the best thing we have ever done, he is horrible this year just like everyone expected.

Hang in there boys, the playoffs are around the corner and we all know that you are just reserving your energy so we can win the cup. Hopefully, Murray will give you a couple days off to drink some beer and chase some women. Just don't let it affect your performance.

Oh one more thing, DON'T FORGET TO PLAY SOME HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

Go Sens!

bsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Mrs_NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
some people here need to come around when the team is winning. some people here only show up when something is wrong.
In defence of some of the doomsayers, many posters were complaining around Redden and Meszaros only to be constantly confronted with "who cares? the team is winning with Redden in the lineup, who cares how badly he was playing."

Some of the problems noted in the past (Emery's declining play and horrible breakaway/odd-man rush abilities, terrible defensive zone coverage, inability to get the puck out of the zone, etc.) have now become more glaring as they are resulting in goals by the opposing team at inopportune times.

Mrs_NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Did any of you catch what Kelly said in the interview after the 2nd period.

He said that We have enough goals. All we have to do is make sure we keep the lead. Unbeleivable. Here you are pressuring this rookie defence, causing them to make mistakes and take penalties and you would stop doing this... WHY?????

Instead of taking any confidence this team had going into the playoffs(agains us) away , by giving them a good drubbing, we just gave them all the confidence in the world that we can be beaten......
I missed Kelly's interview, but if that's what he said . . . ew.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:04 PM
The Fuhr

Perhaps the Sens are trying to learn how to lock things down in the third and using the games as practice for it. Not going so well right now but thats why they are practicing.

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycountry View Post
I missed Kelly's interview, but if that's what he said . . . ew.
To me , that's gotta come from the coach. That's my only thought on that.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Perhaps the Sens are trying to learn how to lock things down in the third and using the games as practice for it. Not going so well right now but thats why they are practicing.
If they have gotten to the point where they are using March stretch-drive games as practice for such fundamental things, then perhaps the problems within this team are worse than any of us would imagine.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
If they have gotten to the point where they are using March stretch-drive games as practice for such fundamental things, then perhaps the problems within this team are worse than any of us would imagine.
I think I just saw the sky fall.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Papa Lazarou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indrew View Post
I think I just saw the sky fall.
And it's all the Senators fault....

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Papa Lazarou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
I think you may be one of those folk who if the Sens beat PIT in the 1st round, ATL in the 2nd round, MTL in the conf final and then MIN in the cup final you'd say it was a "hollow victory" and that we "wouldn't have won if BUF hadn't lost to MTL or if we had played a decent team".

Get behind the team FFS!

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 02:19 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
To me , that's gotta come from the coach. That's my only thought on that.
That's what it sounds like all right.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
I bet we'd be winning if we had Roberts.
Thats a Billy Guerintee buddy.

I blame muckler for this one.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Calorissi

The Kelly quote obviously came from the coach.

If the coach wanted them to keep the offensive pressure on he would have started out 1st Powerplay unit each time they received a PP, but by the third period he would always start Schaefer - Fisher - Neil. That is now how you cement a game.

All it did was give the Pens life after killing off way too many penalties.

The team goes as the coach goes, and if there is another early exit (as many fans feel there will be) then the coach and GM goes!

Calorissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
some people here need to come around when the team is winning. some people here only show up when something is wrong.
Maybe it's because people are just a touch more open to the idea that maybe things aren't all peachy when they don't actually win a game. Some people may not like it too much, but when things operate at the level of competitiveness that the NHL does, you have to analyze and learn from your mistakes - not just celebrate how tremendously things have gone when they were going well. Look at any systematic quality improvement process, and the focus is always on the weakness, on where there are gaps and problems. And there's good reason for that, which is that this is precisely where the attention needs to be paid in order to improve things and prevent future problems. Going on and on about how wonderful things are when it's sunny out is quite frankly a waste of time, even if it makes for more self-congratulatory quippy chit chat.

And to be honest, if you disagree, then disagree and make your arguments - but this 'why don't you post when they win' business is crap. Personally, I don't have time to post here every single day, so I pick my spots when I either have something particular to say, I suspect that there will be some kind of discussion beyond just juvenille self-congratulation, or I see a thread that's of particular interest. At the end of the day it's not about how many times you post, or about what or how many game threads you post to, it's about what you have to say - and dismissing other people with indignant 'here we go again' posts (which you have also done) is both tiresome and inappropriate. It's not a bloody country club, and you shouldn't have to post here multiple times daily to earn the basic respect of not being treated like a nuissance because you have an opinion that some choose not to share.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:29 PM
fras123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
I think you may be one of those folk who if the Sens beat PIT in the 1st round, ATL in the 2nd round, MTL in the conf final and then MIN in the cup final you'd say it was a "hollow victory" and that we "wouldn't have won if BUF hadn't lost to MTL or if we had played a decent team".

Get behind the team FFS!
sad but true, that there are fans that watch their team and hope for failure so they can rag on about how bad they are.

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Air

Quote:
Maybe it's because people are just a touch more open to the idea that maybe things aren't all peachy when they don't actually win a game. Some people may not like it too much, but when things operate at the level of competitiveness that the NHL does, you have to analyze and learn from your mistakes - not just celebrate how tremendously things have gone when they were going well. Look at any systematic quality improvement process, and the focus is always on the weakness, on where there are gaps and problems. And there's good reason for that, which is that this is precisely where the attention needs to be paid in order to improve things and prevent future problems. Going on and on about how wonderful things are when it's sunny out is quite frankly a waste of time, even if it makes for more self-congratulatory quippy chit chat.
Not everyone follows to precisely dissect and analyze every flaw. Honestly, I watch because I really love the team and it's a stress reliever, sort of. I don't post here to get all academic about hockey -- though sometimes that is nice, too -- but please don't call general socializing a "waste of time." We have different motivations in coming here and I respect that your posts are probably more concentrated and denser than mine are, but that doesn't make me any less of a fan or have a less legitimate opinion.

For all that we talk, we are mere spectators. We're mere observers. Talking about flaws doesn't fix them. I don't pretend to have any power over the situation over the minutiae details on the ice or in the business.

Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
Not everyone follows to precisely dissect and analyze every flaw. Honestly, I watch because I really love the team and it's a stress reliever, sort of. I don't post here to get all academic about hockey -- though sometimes that is nice, too -- but please don't call general socializing a "waste of time." We have different motivations in coming here and I respect that your posts are probably more concentrated and denser than mine are, but that doesn't make me any less of a fan or have a less legitimate opinion.
For all that we talk, we are mere spectators. We're mere observers. Talking about flaws doesn't fix them. I don't pretend to have any power over the situation over the minutiae details on the ice or in the business.
Of course we're mere spectators - but by that yardstick this site shouldn't exist at all, and we should just all shut up and observe. But as a consumer of the product, I think there is certainly value in terms of looking at the actions the team makes and either praising or criticizing them - and I'm appreciative of the fact that there's a forum where generally that kind of debate can be entertained. And hey, I love watching the game as much as anyone - chatting here about it here has little to do with that. And what I think about the rest of the chat here makes little difference - to each their own, and I respect that even if I don't partake. I'm just saying that for the same reason that I don't go and put little cutesy eye-rolling icons on the things that I'm not so interested in chatting about, I expect that there will be at least the courtesy of a non-reply in response to what I might post, as opposed to a suggestion that I'm wasting someone's time, or that my opinion is lessened because I don't choose to spend more time on this site than I already do.

Old
03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I don't doubt that there may be truth to this, but this only reinforces a point I made several weeks ago that this team is not where they should be in terms of playing close games, and are actually surprisingly poor at it - especially in comparison to the likes of Buffalo and New Jersey. Of course at the time I was ambushed with clever comments about how Ottawa shouldn't be blowing people out to bolster their close game record and the such, without addressing the fact that there is a considerable difference in how games are played when there is something on the line and both teams have a good chance of winning. If they are trying to learn something from this, I hope they have. This team still has dominant qualities, but if they can allow themselves to be nickle-and-dimed out of victories, it's only going to make the task at hand all the more difficult. How they respond to this will be telling, and the games against Toronto will hopefully have the innate importance to them to rekindle the passion a bit.

Old
03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Preeat

Send a message via MSN to Preeat
Maybe we're just doing this to give the rest of the Eastern conference hope that they can beat us. We can't be bullying everyone around now can we? That's not nice playground etiquette.

At least that's the way I look at it :p

Preeat is offline   Reply With Quote