HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bell centre built over top of indian burial grounds?

Old
03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Captain Coach
No Homers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Haha...yes...those Indians were very advanced for their times
Those Indian's dug some pretty deep holes

Captain Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

one thing has been bugging me about this thread...

indians= people from india... i thought that one was long settled.

i am not one to be a stickler for political correctness but indians has all kinds of ignorant connotation... i suggest none of us start trecking north or west looking for the riches of the orient.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
HappyFan

I think the story is that the island of Montreal, before being settled by Europeans had a native cemetery on it. Not quite sure if it was directly under the now Bell centre or not though. My guess is that it would have been on the mountain (under the cross?).

HappyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:27 PM
tinyzombies

The island was not a large continuous population center for Iroquioian peoples. But the area of Hochelaga is thought to be up closer to the mountain from Cartier's writings. It was wrongly thought that it was down near the river. There were some trade sites there where Native Americans set up camp for short periods of time, but that's about it from what I've read.

In any case, hockey is a Native American game according to some.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:30 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

ahahahahhahahahahhahaha

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
ahahahahhahahahahhahaha
ques

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Wdf ... I sware this board gets weirder and weirder everyday ... if the Habs lose the next game who knows whats gonna come up ... Bell Centre = Raelien spacehip with scientologist engines

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
AD

This story is so 1998..

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse 4 View Post
one thing has been bugging me about this thread...

indians= people from india... i thought that one was long settled.

i am not one to be a stickler for political correctness but indians has all kinds of ignorant connotation... i suggest none of us start trecking north or west looking for the riches of the orient.
In this case Indians = Native (North American) Indians, not people from India.

03-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark120675 View Post
Those Indian's dug some pretty deep holes
Sorry...I just pictured that and laughed haha.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:20 PM
FTowwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse 4 View Post
Hockey Night in Hochelaga
LMAO....thats a catchy phrase

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Lots of Native Indians lived in the MTL area years and years ago....so if you live in the MTL area...maybe.....just maybe....you have some buried in your back yard
Sarcasm aside, that's true. There where a lot of indians living in the Montreal area.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Goalie3636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque4PM View Post
Ive heard stories that the Bell centre is built over an indian burial grave. It is believed by some that Montreals major injuries and lack of success has come from an Indian curse. Anyways can anyone confirm this about the Bell centre for me?
Haha,, although this did make me laugh, it just makes me feel that some people are simply in denial.

Goalie3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Sarcasm aside, that's true. There where a lot of indians living in the Montreal area.

Absolutely true, I wouldn't be surprised that if there are old burial grounds spread out all around the Montreal area.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 05:57 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie3636 View Post
Haha,, although this did make me laugh, it just makes me feel that some people are simply in denial.
What is there to be in denial about? We've won our last 6 games and it's normal for teams to rest some key players heading in to the playoffs. Everything is fine.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:01 PM
rudethedude66

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Souray is native, maybe that explains why he's having such a great season!
shouldnt gino odjick have scored at least 30 a yr then?

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
This story is so 1998..

That's so true. Between 1998 and 2001 the Canadiens went through not only a difficult season on the ice, but had all kinds of strange incidents occur to them on and off it, including some pretty serious injuries and illnesses. That's when the Indian burial grounds and the Bell Centre facing a Catholic church stories really took off.

During those years:

--- Brian Savage broke his neck in a violent collision with Ian Lapierriere (who was with L.A. then. The Habs were playing in L.A.)

---Trent McCleary almost died after he took a slapshot to the throat and passed out at the bench while trying to get off the ice. The injury ended his career.

---Saku Koivu got cancer, which almost ended his life.

---Donald Audette had his wrist slashed by a skate and lost 3 pints of blood and passed out in the Bell Centre's medical room. While he played again, that injury pretty much ended his career.

---The Habs got stranded in Carolina during a snowstorm! Think about that for a second! The NHL refused to cancel their next game (the Habs had asked), which was the next night in New York. (Maybe head office didn't actually believe they were trapped.) The Habs finally arrived in New York at 3 p.m. the next day. The NHL cancelled the game because the east coast snow storm had moved up to New York.

The Habs were stranded in New York (okay, nobody could really be stranded in NYC), whereas if they had just flown home to Montreal from Carolina they could have avoided spending half-the-night at JFK airport. By the time they got home, a pissed off Martin Rucinsky informed the media that it had been the road trip from **** and that the players had exactly about four to six hours of sleep in the last 48 hours. He blamed the NHL for not cancelling the New York game when everyone knew the storm was going to hit, allowing the Habs to get home to their families the day berfore.

---They had their bus break down while they were trying to get to the arena in Boston. The bus company brought them a new bus only to have IT break down as well.

Anyways, some crazy things were happening to the Habs in those days and people started blaming the relatively new Bell Centre. That the Forum Ghosts were p*ssed off, that the Centre was on an Indian burial ground, or that the Centre was facing a Catholic Church.

Anyways, as far as I know, in and around 2001/2002 a couple of Habs fan finally took those stories to heart and a Catholic ceremony took place outside the Bell centre that "blessed the Bell centre." There was an actual priest involved.

A First Nations elder also performed a ritual, just in case....

Urban legends folks. Nice to know they're still around.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Burn it to the ground!

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Laraque4PM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast habsfan View Post
That's so true. Between 1998 and 2001 the Canadiens went through not only a difficult season on the ice, but had all kinds of strange incidents occur to them on and off it, including some pretty serious injuries and illnesses. That's when the Indian burial grounds and the Bell Centre facing a Catholic church stories really took off.

During those years:

--- Brian Savage broke his neck in a violent collision with Ian Lapierriere (who was with L.A. then. The Habs were playing in L.A.)

---Trent McCleary almost died after he took a slapshot to the throat and passed out at the bench while trying to get off the ice. The injury ended his career.

---Saku Koivu got cancer, which almost ended his life.

---Donald Audette had his wrist slashed by a skate and lost 3 pints of blood and passed out in the Bell Centre's medical room. While he played again, that injury pretty much ended his career.

---The Habs got stranded in Carolina during a snowstorm! Think about that for a second! The NHL refused to cancel their next game (the Habs had asked), which was the next night in New York. (Maybe head office didn't actually believe they were trapped.) The Habs finally arrived in New York at 3 p.m. the next day. The NHL cancelled the game because the east coast snow storm had moved up to New York.

The Habs were stranded in New York (okay, nobody could really be stranded in NYC), whereas if they had just flown home to Montreal from Carolina they could have avoided spending half-the-night at JFK airport. By the time they got home, a pissed off Martin Rucinsky informed the media that it had been the road trip from **** and that the players had exactly about four to six hours of sleep in the last 48 hours. He blamed the NHL for not cancelling the New York game when everyone knew the storm was going to hit, allowing the Habs to get home to their families the day berfore.

---They had their bus break down while they were trying to get to the arena in Boston. The bus company brought them a new bus only to have IT break down as well.

Anyways, some crazy things were happening to the Habs in those days and people started blaming the relatively new Bell Centre. That the Forum Ghosts were p*ssed off, that the Centre was on an Indian burial ground, or that the Centre was facing a Catholic Church.

Anyways, as far as I know, in and around 2001/2002 a couple of Habs fan finally took those stories to heart and a Catholic ceremony took place outside the Bell centre that "blessed the Bell centre." There was an actual priest involved.

A First Nations elder also performed a ritual, just in case....

Urban legends folks. Nice to know they're still around.
Finally someone who has actually heard of this before. This thread wasnt a joke it was just something i had heard of. Im from Alberta and dont even follow the habs, yet I seem to have heard about this? Anyways I had no idea they brought in a first nations elder to perform a ritual.

Laraque4PM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:03 AM
tinyzombies

Can't they just kick out all the knick-knack shops at the old Forum and renovate it back into shape?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:41 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Can't they just kick out all the knick-knack shops at the old Forum and renovate it back into shape?
Not likely, not enough parking space around the Forum. Not only that, the Ville de
Montréal would continue to assess/impose the horrendous $8M - $10M property tax that Club de Hockey Canadien pays on an annual basis. Better to buy some land outside the ville and build there. Then George could have the parking revenue as well and pay lower taxes. Maybe BG can find a buyer for the Bell Centre given that he was able to trade Theo.

Les Canadiens have been at the Molson/Bell Centre since March 16, 1996, so it will be the eleventh anniversary since the opening next Friday. The point is; if they have been paying the $8M - $10M every year since the opening, that total is $88M - $110M for that period of time, IMO, way too much. I wonder how much the Leafs are paying in property taxes to the city of Toronto for the ACC? Or the other Canadian teams? Cause Les Canadiens are paying more in property taxes than all of the other NHL teams combined!!

What does this mean for the fan?, well George could continue to line his wallet with the profits but may not have needed to raise ticket prices as frequently if he didn't have to pay such a high property tax.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Russeltown

The 450 Canadiens ...

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:31 PM
MojoJojo

I've heard the indian curse drives Habs fans crazy, making them post lousy proposals on the trade rumour board.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
MadJah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
I've heard the indian curse drives Habs fans crazy, making them post lousy proposals on the trade rumour board.
A mixture of that and Molson Ex.

MadJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Laraque4PM*

Ive heard that as long as the bell centre exists there will never be a cup hoisted in Montreal.

Laraque4PM* is offline   Reply With Quote